The Once and Future Theater - Page 46 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 60Likes

post #1351 of 1362 Old 08-28-2015, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Yeah,uh-oh and sucks and dead are the words that come to mind. The seller replied and is concerned that there may just be some handshake thing going on. I'll make a video of it so we can all see, but I'm afraid it will be going back.

The good news is that Pablo confirmed for tomorrow, so the paint can start soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 1362 Old 08-29-2015, 02:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Could your projector problems be this?

Projector keeps shutting off - Panasonic PT-AE1000U
post #1353 of 1362 Old 08-29-2015, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It suppose it could be that. I read about this problem a day or two ago. The difference, it seems to me, is that mine shuts off virtually immediately. In either case, I think returning it is the best move.

I do wonder if the thorough cleaning it received just prior to shipping has led to the iris mechanism sticking. I can't say - at least not without taking it apart - and I am VERY reluctant to disassemble something the seller has agreed to take back.
post #1354 of 1362 Old 08-29-2015, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #1355 of 1362 Old 08-29-2015, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The build must go on...

Pablo came and did his thing today. He did not skim the entire ceiling, but I think he and I are both confident it will be smooth and nice under the conditions required of it. I sure hope so.

I think he did an especially nice job of smoothing the curve in the doorway ceiling. The gap will be covered with quarter-round molding - PVC is quite flexible.

This image shows the soffit edge and the transition to the ceiling. He touched up some ceiling spots and sanded everything nicely. I should be good to prime tomorrow.
BllDo likes this.
post #1356 of 1362 Old 08-30-2015, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Priming done, unless I get picky about some spots and touch up a little mud. That could happen. In either case, I'll paint Saturday.

post #1357 of 1362 Old 08-30-2015, 10:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Awesome, great progress!!

I think you know this, but my Panasonic (4k) comes on and will show a bluescreen for hours without any input. Whether or not your BR is on and playing something is, in my mind, irrelevant. That projector seems bad. Glad to read that the seller is willing to refund; bummer at the loss your time.
post #1358 of 1362 Old 08-31-2015, 03:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 379
You are rolling!
HopefulFred likes this.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #1359 of 1362 Old 08-31-2015, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Against my normally good judgement, I shined the shop light across the recently primed ceiling and soffits, looking for defects. There were plenty, though not very many in the ceiling. I still have half a bucket of joint compound that Pablo didn't finish, so I touched up a few spots. I think that will be enough to satisfy my urge. I'll sand and spot-reprime tomorrow.

Still haven't gotten the closet finished. I think I have some help coming one night this week, so I should make good progress then. I lost all my notes about the electrical wiring in that area, so I have some re-figuring to do to remember how exactly I was going to tap power for lights before I close that drywall.

In the meantime, I am still trimming wall boards. I'm up to about 150 out of 200 - so almost there. I'm not rushing since I want to paint the soffits and ceiling before hanging them anyway.
J_P_A likes this.
post #1360 of 1362 Old Today, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It's a good thing we went through the wiring tonight. I found that the breaker I am going to use to power the lights had two circuits connected to it. Obviously I two-pole breaker would have been the better choice, but I was willing to overlook it until I realized the two circuits were using different gauge conductors. The 14AWG wire was arcing and had partially melted insulation, since the 12AWG wire was keeping the screw from clamping the smaller wire tightly enough. That's fixed... so that's good.

So here's the question - and I think I brought this up years ago when I first went through the wiring to make sure I would have enough power - how do I divide up the loads among my circuits?

I have a single 15A circuit which powers several other lights in the basement, but has enough capacity to run the 600W or so I will use in the theater for lighting. Then I have 2 20A circuits with only one outlet wired to each of them, so there's basically nothing. I might connect a popcorn popper to one, but other than that I need to decide how to power the rest of the theater from that. All three circuits are on the same phase leg from the box. Any ideas?

One 20A for electronics and one for subs? Run sources from the 15A, one 20A for all the amps, and one 20A for the projector? I'm just making stuff up here...
post #1361 of 1362 Old Today, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked: 607
All of your electronics can easily run off a single 20 amp circuit without any problem. Keep the lights on the 15a circuit with the other lights.
post #1362 of 1362 Old Today, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So just leave the extra 20A circuit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Pioneer Electronics , Sherbourn , Dayton Audio Um18 22 18 Ultimax Dvc Subwoofer 2 Ohms Per Coil

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page