The Once and Future Theater - Page 58 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 215Likes

post #1711 of 1737 Old 05-28-2017, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 447
We just watched the first few minutes of No Country for Old Men with no sound, just to make sure the screen works.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen (1).jpg
Views:	331
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	2160386  
J_P_A likes this.

Last edited by HopefulFred; 05-28-2017 at 07:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 1737 Old 05-29-2017, 12:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Awesome!!! Incredibly close now, and it looks amazing...
HopefulFred likes this.
post #1713 of 1737 Old 05-30-2017, 10:05 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Looking great! And its giving me some inspiration on how I'll finish out my screenwall area.

Now, what stinks about No Country for Old Men is you have to get the collector's edition of you want lossless audio. Fantastic movie too.

post #1714 of 1737 Old 05-30-2017, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 451
How's the sound in the room so far? I know it's hard to tell much without the carpet in, but I'm anxious to find out how things shape up. Your room is going to have a lot more hard surfaces than we usually see. I bet once you get the reflections to do what you want, it's going to sound good!

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!
The Plains Theater Has Begun
Pro Designed Room - Measurements Before/During/After Treatments.
post #1715 of 1737 Old 05-30-2017, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The thing about the sound... Well there's a couple things.

Just for being in there and talking, it's pleasant. The low noise floor makes it easy to talk, and having at least one fairly dead end keeps things from being too flutter echo-y. There is still a flutter echo, but it's pretty mild, and should be basically gone once carpet is in. It could be that the left and right walls persist in making a flutter, but it doesn't feel like it. I guess we'll see in a month or so.

I do a good deal of casual listening while I'm working in there. I have the L and R hooked up to a SONOS connect:AMP for now. They're toed in moderately: enough for approximately? an equilateral triangle. Stereo imaging is strong and stable, as you would expect from SEOS designs. When listening, I don't notice anything weird; no flutter, no crazy resonance. I do notice that I need subs, but that's to be expected; F3 is right around 80 Hz.

Overall, I'm optimistic that I'll be very happy with the sound with a couple additions. I think I'll build a couple hybrid slat diffusers (1D horizontal diffusion) for the rear walls with a couple inches of duct liner behind the slats and probably be done. If a flutter echo persists, I'll probably find some lateral wall space for more hybrid devices. I expect to leave the first lateral reflections untreated. I just hope I don't need more bass absorption to get close enough seat-to-seat for EQ to seal the deal.
post #1716 of 1737 Old 06-07-2017, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Carpet is scheduled for two weeks from today. Cross your fingers that everything goes according to plan.
post #1717 of 1737 Old 06-07-2017, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Pardon that this is upside-down...

What you see here is the beginnings of the hush box. It will sit flush with the bottom of the soffit in the rear of the room and be centered along the ceiling, concealing the projector, all the wiring, and the exhaust vent joining the A/C return.

What you see in this next image is the face of the hush box, with the window case dry-fit. I am waiting on an 8x10 piece of optical glass that will slip down in a slot within the window case, holding the glass at an angle.

The whole thing will get painted to match the speakers. The only elements of the design I haven't exactly worked out are filtered air intake and the precise details of the way I will affix it to the ceiling. As you can see, it has an sealed bottom, and no hinges. It will lock into a mounting apparatus of some sort that will be permanently fixed to the ceiling. I'll share the details as they come together over the next week or so. Hopefully, I can spend a good bit of time Sunday with wood filler and primer, after working out the lobby lighting system on Saturday (help is on the way!) If both of those things go as planned, I will have all the dust cleared out by the time the carpet goes in on the 21st.
J_P_A likes this.
post #1718 of 1737 Old 06-07-2017, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 273
I bought a 2U vented rack panel that I'm going to use for the intake. I plan on cutting a hole in the bottom door. My optical glass is sitting there waiting on me to finish up. Basically, I plan on hinging the front panel to be able to get to everything I need to, but I also plan on build a small box for the glass angled of course, but the box will also be removable so I can get at the back of the glass easily. I plan on a french cleat to hold it in place. Then I'll trim if out and paint it to make it look respectable. Sorry, I'm behind now. The kid has about 9 buddies over for pizza and are watching the game. W'll be gone this weekend as well. I guess your box will be done before mine!

Oh a BIG (as in BIGMouthinDC), use NH Ready Patch on the MDF. Works better and is easier to work with than wood fill.

Bud
post #1719 of 1737 Old 06-07-2017, 08:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post
Carpet is scheduled for two weeks from today. Cross your fingers that everything goes according to plan.
All I can say is "GOOD LUCK".

Bud
post #1720 of 1737 Old 06-08-2017, 06:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

You're so freaking close! It's a major boost to motivation when you can see the end.

Are you planning on a glass panel in front of the lens?

post #1721 of 1737 Old 06-08-2017, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post
Are you planning on a glass panel in front of the lens?
I have an 8x10 glass from Edmund Optics on the way. It was more expensive than I remember when I shopped for them a few years ago. I paid about $50 plus shipping.
post #1722 of 1737 Old 06-08-2017, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ouch. That is expensive for a piece of glass that size.

post #1723 of 1737 Old 06-08-2017, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Hush box assembled and trimmed. I rounded over the front edges to match the speakers; it will get the same paint after all... I have also hit the seams with some joint compound, as you see.

I picked up the joint compound while buying more electrical supplies for this weekend's lighting work. I think I have everything I need. We'll be running two new branches off two separate circuits for lights (with new switches), plus relocating two wall outlets, and replacing two switches as well as two fixtures. That will give me a total of 5 lights in the lobby, controlled via 4 Lutron Caseta switches, all linked together into one group for scenes.

Last edited by HopefulFred; 06-09-2017 at 05:54 AM.
post #1724 of 1737 Old 06-08-2017, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Follow-up hush-box question!

Here's the design I laid out years ago now, but it's close enough to current to be using for a conversation starter. In this image, the projector fits mostly to the left, with the exhaust coming out the front of the projector, also toward the left. Since the lens is not centered on the projector, but IS centered in the hush box, there is very little space between the left edge of the projector and the inside surface of the hush box. In contrast, there is 6-8 inches of open space inside the hush box on the right side of this image. The only substantial change between this image and reality is that the port for exhaust on the rear surface of the box is not centered as drawn, instead it is also all the way to the left.

So, the exhaust will exit the front of the projector on the left, and have very little space on the left side for air movement. The box outlet is also on the left, but on the rear of the projector. Where should the air inlets be?
post #1725 of 1737 Old 06-09-2017, 05:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Where is the intake on the PJ? Front Right?

post #1726 of 1737 Old 06-09-2017, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post
Where is the intake on the PJ? Front Right?
I'm not 100% certain, but I believe it is along the right side (as oriented in my image). I made that determination by looking at images on the internet.
post #1727 of 1737 Old 06-09-2017, 06:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

You have the AE8000?

Last edited by J_P_A; 06-09-2017 at 06:16 AM.
post #1728 of 1737 Old 06-09-2017, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Yep
post #1729 of 1737 Old 06-09-2017, 06:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Looking at the intake and exhaust layout, it looks like the issue you're going to have is recirculating the exhaust back into the intake. I'm sure you are aware of that already, but saying (or in this case typing) it out loud helps me think through it.

How much room do you have above and below the projector once it's in the box? It looks like your box exhaust port is going to be lined up with one of the PJ intakes on the back.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-06-09 at 8.08.08 AM.png
Views:	151
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	2180345  

post #1730 of 1737 Old 06-09-2017, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 1154 Post(s)
Liked: 985
I still say - quite emphatically - skip the hush box. Further "Do not install in an enclosed space" is pretty definitive.

If you follow through with the hush box installation:
- Are you offsetting the projection port so the Panasonic is centered inside the box or are you making the box just that much wider to work with a centered view port while maintaining sufficient air gaps?
- How do you plan to ventilate this space...passive ingress and powered egress?
- What's the point of the hush box in the first place if you must add a powered ventilation fan to the air egress? The projector's smaller and thermostatically controlled ventilation fan buried inside the projector will be significantly quieter than an exposed fan getting air out of the box.
- How do you plan to manage temperatures in the box, with a thermostatically controlled fan? Do you know the max BTUs of the projector? Do you know the min/max CFM of the projector's fan?
- Did you allow for sufficient space for the projector (minimum 4") PLUS the thickness of either one or two layers of Linacoustic / duct liner?

I ask these questions rhetorically because I've had to engineer these boxes in the past out of necessity when you had large CRTs with lots of heat and what amounted to a small tornado of fan noise. Quite a bit of engineering goes into these boxes and unless they are absolutely needed I couldn't be more opposed to their installation, especially with today's super quiet projectors. Wait until you install the carpet, chairs, acoustic treatments and enjoy your room for a few months before you decide it bothers you enough to install the hush box.
post #1731 of 1737 Old 06-09-2017, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

TMcG has a good point. I was pretty dead-set on putting in a hushbox. Until I actually mounted my projector and listened to it. I run my PJ on flame thrower, and I don't hear the fan during a movie.

Your particular PJ looks like it's going to present some interesting design challenges for a hushbox. if you're going to build one, some dimensions on the box would be helpful.

post #1732 of 1737 Old 06-09-2017, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I understand the concern. I'll have to do some thinking; there are conflicting priorities. Maybe I'll put a thermometer in there and monitor it. Maybe I won't install it at all...
post #1733 of 1737 Old Yesterday, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinadog View Post
All I can say is "GOOD LUCK".

Bud
So far so good.

The carpet installer came when agreed upon, and has the right materials on hand. He seems to know what he's doing... so there should be pics tonight!
thrillcat likes this.
post #1734 of 1737 Old Yesterday, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The carpet guy certainly knew what he was doing. He was very thorough, and it took him a full day. Too bad for him: it was from noon until after 8. For anyone in Atlanta, I can say that the selection and general experience I had with carpet and carpet installation with Myers Carpet was quite good. I didn't do any real comparison shopping for price, but I found a carpet I like and got it very well-installed with minimal fuss and on-schedule. I had hoped I would get the seats unpacked and in tonight; alas I have other fish to fry (not related to the theater).

Also, we have tentative dates for a contractor to come in and finish the lobby, in late July. I would not recommend the Lowe's kitchen design services at this point in the process, though I suppose I may come around to thinking it was the greatest idea ever.... but I doubt it.

In any case, here is the only picture I took of the carpet after the installer left tonight. Axel seems to approve.

J_P_A, TMcG and DougUSMC like this.
post #1735 of 1737 Old Today, 06:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 1154 Post(s)
Liked: 985
Excellent! I like your carpet selection and this is definitely turning out to be a very, very unique space! Can't wait to see a few more pics when you get around to it....and maybe a special screening next time I'm in Atlanta!
post #1736 of 1737 Old Today, 06:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Looks awesome!!!! I'm digging the carpet.

post #1737 of 1737 Old Today, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Love it! The carpet ties in with the walls beautifully. Nicely done!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Pioneer Electronics , Sherbourn , Dayton Audio Um18 22 18 Ultimax Dvc Subwoofer 2 Ohms Per Coil