The Once and Future Theater - Page 60 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 255Likes

post #1771 of 1788 Old 08-10-2017, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Lowe's continues to be useless.

On the plus side, they found my refrigerator.

There's been almost nothing that they delivered on time and complete. As of today, I am still waiting on an extra box of flooring (seems we under estimated) and a box of brick veneer for the wall corner (this one might be my fault, since we initially were not going to wrap brick around the corner, and when the design changed no one caught the need for different materials). Just today I picked up the stair nose that they shipped wrong the first time and failed to reorder.

I picked up the fridge last night. This has been the biggest hold-up, because we couldn't be confident in the cabinet spacing without it and we can't template the counter until that's set. I'm hoping I can get the guys to come back and knock that out so that the countertop guys can come get the template made, since that will be another two-week wait. Of course my job is small and not the only on-going project for them, so they've moved on to other contracts. If I can't get them to squeeze me in, it'll be next Friday before the cabinets are locked down and then we start the countertop process.

It's stupid. What could have been about 4 days on on site work plus a two-week countertop delay has turned into a full month of dragged-out nonsense (and that's assuming there are no other delays), because Lowe's can't order and ship a list of supplies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1772 of 1788 Old 08-10-2017, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked: 483
Of the people I know that have used them, that's pretty well what everyone's experience with Lowe's contracting has been. Same for Home Depot for that matter.

Sorry to hear you're having a similar experience.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!
The Plains Theater Has Begun
Pro Designed Room - Measurements Before/During/After Treatments.
post #1773 of 1788 Old 08-10-2017, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Sadly I am not surprised. I knew that having things go smoothly was a longshot. I'm generally pretty good about not letting it get to me; that said, going to the store four or five days in a row, just to try to get someone to locate my fridge, is out of bounds. Everyone has been polite and at least seemed like they were trying to be helpful, but not one of them was able to get anything done or follow up with a returned phone call.

I get the same stories from the crew doing the work. They routinely burn hours trying to take delivery of goods that were there but unlocated.

post #1774 of 1788 Old 08-11-2017, 05:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just don't let it get you down. You're on the home stretch. No point in letting Lowe's put a dark cloud over your awesome basement!!!!

It'll get sorted out. Just keep plugging along.
cowger likes this.

post #1775 of 1788 Old 08-11-2017, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I'll be a little miffed if I miss football, but other than that it's all gravy.
post #1776 of 1788 Old 08-14-2017, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 197
I put 2 sconces in my cart on Lowe's online.

Never checked out, never paid for them.

I spent the next six weeks getting phone calls and email from them telling me my order had arrived. Hey guess what? I ain't coming.
post #1777 of 1788 Old 08-14-2017, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

It's really remarkable that they get anything done at all. If they (and home depot) still had competition from smaller stores, they'd be in big trouble - at least for my business. Every time I get in the car to go there (a couple times every week lately), i curse that they put the Ace out of business.
J_P_A likes this.
post #1778 of 1788 Old 08-17-2017, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
See what happens when I leave the forum for a couple of months and you are left to your own devices? Progress, that's what happens!!

How's the lobby shaping up? I assume they are close to finishing, right?
post #1779 of 1788 Old 08-17-2017, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
See what happens when I leave the forum for a couple of months and you are left to your own devices? Progress, that's what happens!!

How's the lobby shaping up? I assume they are close to finishing, right?
You know what assuming gets you...

To the best of my knowledge, I have all the materials that are required to finish this lobby - but that's an assumption. I'm expecting, but have been unable to confirm, that the guys are coming back to the house tomorrow. The project manager talks like this will be the last scheduled day of work. It think he's a little crazy - I also think that he's concerned that he is already over his time/labor budget based on the way the job was quoted and paid for.

What's outstanding:
some flooring and stair nose
all the brick
molding (baseboards, toe-kick, half-wall top)
molding paint, including stair faces
countertop - template, installation, sink finish plumbing

Obviously, the project manager knows that he's responsible for sink and faucet connection which can only happen after the counters go in. He's expecting to bring the crew back for one day to finish that and any punch-list items.

We'll see. I have a hunch that all that will happen tomorrow is final cabinet setting and the brick installation. The brick is a huge job - cut, mortar, set, grout/point. If they can get the last of the extra drywall and mud small spots as well, I'll be impressed: the area around the rack and the end of the half-wall by the stairs need some finish work before we go for a coat of paint in those areas. Their responsibility for that is a little ambiguous, because they were asked to finish those areas, but we didn't specify paint and the square footage of those areas wasn't included in the labor estimate for paint. Meanwhile, the crew have said, "just tell me what color to put on it; I don't wan't to leave it half-done." I told him that it should just be white, the same as the rest of the basement which was all sprayed white by the crew the bank brought in following the previous owner's foreclosure. So it's not special or challenging, but I don't see when it fits in the schedule.

Let's assume that they can get the cabinets set for templating and the brick done tomorrow. They'll end up coming back over the weekend probably to get the drywall and paint odds-and-ends I referred to. Ideally, the countertop guys will have been scheduled to come tomorrow afternoon (as I suggested they try to do), but I really doubt it. The way this is going, it's going to some time in the middle of next week before they show up. Then 2 weeks for counter prep and installation. That puts installation somewhere around September 6, and the main crew coming back for the punch-list and sink, plus final walkthrough around the 7th-8th. Which means I will have missed the opening week of football (but that's okay because I am scheduled to go somewhere else to watch the game). Hopefully I can get the rack all put back together before week 2.

Once that all happens we will be open for business but still with plenty of calibration, acoustic measurement and treatment, and electronic setup to work through. None of that will stop me from connecting the kegerator and firing up the Tivo for football. It's very close now...
post #1780 of 1788 Old 08-23-2017, 05:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
Suspiciously quiet around these parts....I take it you have surrendered yourself to in-patient anger management therapy after your Lowes and contractor experiences so far with the lobby...

On a happier note, I saw this steampunk flat panel mount from a restaurant in Detroit posted on the inter webs and thought I would share just in case you had ambitious plans for steampunk accents in the lobby.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Steampunk.jpg (183.7 KB, 172 views)
HopefulFred and cowger like this.
post #1781 of 1788 Old 08-23-2017, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
Suspiciously quiet around these parts....I take it you have surrendered yourself to in-patient anger management therapy after your Lowes and contractor experiences so far with the lobby...
True.

And yes, that would be ambitious. Actually, we talked about a small monitor in the lobby, and decided against it.
post #1782 of 1788 Old 09-01-2017, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

We have some nice progress to report.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lobby (4).jpg (1.07 MB, 154 views)

Last edited by HopefulFred; 09-01-2017 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Fixing attachements
post #1783 of 1788 Old 09-01-2017, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Your pictures and thumbnails are not correctly inserted into your post. They don't show.

"If everything is under control you are just not driving fast enough"
post #1784 of 1788 Old 09-02-2017, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Yes you do!! Brick looks awesome...

Looks like it goes up in sheets about 4 bricks high. How does it get stuck to the wall?

In any case, the outside corners are perfect. You'll never know they aren't the real deal.

Nice!!!
HopefulFred likes this.
post #1785 of 1788 Old 09-03-2017, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowger View Post
Looks like it goes up in sheets about 4 bricks high. How does it get stuck to the wall?
I didn't do it, so I don't know.

No, it just gets mortared directly to the drywall with acrylic tile adhesive. ...You know, notched trowel, etc. Apart from the pointing, it seems pretty much just like web of tile that is so common in the big box stores these days.
http://www.installbrickweb.com/untitled-sitepage_3

Also, football last night was a success. I didn't get everything back into the rack and set up, but I got enough to watch the game. We had a friend over and it was a good night. The soft-open roll-out continues.
cowger, J_P_A and ambesolman like this.
post #1786 of 1788 Old 09-04-2017, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Looks awesome!

post #1787 of 1788 Old 09-13-2017, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I am getting ready to get out of town for a week or two, so I figure this is as good a chance as any to bump the thread with some new pics. The work crew says they (he) have about 3 hours worth of stuff to do once the counters go in. That's tentatively scheduled for the middle of the week of the 25th, so I will probably see him back to do the final stuff you can see needs doing in these pictures: last of the paint, connect the sink/faucet, and a little more stair trim/nose to install. You can see that the door trim went in - we didn't like any regular molding, so we went with more of the fence picket wood trim, like in the theater.

In addition to that, there's an electrical outlet to move/add, and one more pendant to hang, and then I will trim out the rack and hang its door. We're just about there...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lobby (5).jpg (1.04 MB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg Lobby (6).jpg (437.6 KB, 62 views)
TMcG likes this.
post #1788 of 1788 Old 09-14-2017, 06:55 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Dang, Fred, that looks *amazing*!!! So close now...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Pioneer Electronics , Sherbourn , Dayton Audio Um18 22 18 Ultimax Dvc Subwoofer 2 Ohms Per Coil

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page