15'x25' room cost - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 11-11-2011, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey folks, can someone please help me make a rough estimate on how much it would cost me to build a very simple wall/ceiling/drywall for a 15'x25' home theater room if I'll be buying materials from Home Depot? I don't have plans to upgrade my devices so I won't spend money for those. I just wanted to know the cost for the wood, drywalls, and nails.

Thanks a lot everyone!!!

Neil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 11-11-2011, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Up front you'll have to decide whether or not you want to do any soundproofing and from there, try to establish to what level you'll do that. Soundproofing adds cost and complexity all the way through.

Also, it is 100% DIY or will you be hiring anyone?
post #3 of 20 Old 11-11-2011, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 45
WAG here:

Lumber $400
Gyp board $400
Compound, tape, etc $150
Nails, screws, etc $200
Paint and supplies $300
Beer $750

High Desert Theater -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Building Bass - 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Surrounds -

Storage -

post #4 of 20 Old 11-11-2011, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 57
@ petew - looks good, but you forgot to include the hospital co-pay $

|
|
|
|
| Xbox Live: Atomic Hamper
post #5 of 20 Old 11-11-2011, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 359
+$200 to buy/rent a panel lifter... Can be offset with lower beer costs...

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #6 of 20 Old 11-11-2011, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

There's also electrical costs... Romex, possible sub-panel and circuit breakers, 100 Amp cable/line from main panel, outlets, switches, and lights. Door and door frame. I have no idea on any of those.

Conduit for cables if necessary (vacuflow line perhaps), in-wall speaker wire, coax cable, face plates. My low-voltage order from monoprice was $500.

Oh, carpet and underlay of course.
post #7 of 20 Old 11-11-2011, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post

WAG here:

Lumber $400
Gyp board $400
Compound, tape, etc $150
Nails, screws, etc $200
Paint and supplies $300
Beer $750

That looks pretty overboard

A standard stud is about $2, not including any sales. GT studs for the bottom layer about $3.

80' feet of walls at 18" OC is about 55 studs = $110

10 GT studs for the sole plate on the bottom perimeter = $30

Figure 20 studs for the top plate (could use one layer if these walls are non-load bearing) = $40

Figure 10 extra studs for king stud/trimmers, etc.) = $20

Lumber = $200

5 or 6 tubes of PL adhesive = $30

Sheetrock ½” thk 4x8 is $4.40 (Lowes website) Need 20 sheets to do 80 linear feet around the walls, plus 12 sheets to do 375 sq feet of ceiling (15X25) add in 2 extra sheets for screwups =$150

A Bucket of compound is about $10. If you need more than three buckets to do the room, you’re sanding too much. Throw in about $5 for joint tape = $35

A bucket of drywall screws is about $40. Figure the same for framing nails. Hardware = $80

Paint, really depends on what you’re doing. 2 gallons of a dark eggshell color of can be had to do the room for about $50. Alternatively, using more expensive paint or adding a matte varnish on top can add a lot (Modern masters dead flat varnish is about $70 a gallon for example.) Paint = $100 plus roller covers.

Trim around the baseboard/doors/windows can vary a lot based on what design/material you want. Assuming an 8’ plank at $4 and needing, say 120’ for baseboards plus a door or window or two = $60.

All in to frame in a room, rock it, paint it and trim it = $655

Please keep in mind this is the minimum SWAG to do the job assuming:
1) you know what you’re doing, have the tools and won’t waste a lot of material on screwups
2) Are just doing the basic level of work to “finish” a room properly. But not going “all in” to make it an uber-sound-isolation room
3) this includes nothing for electrical. Unless the space was already roughed in for electrical *to meet occupied living space standards* you’ll likely have to add at least some extra outlets.
4) No doors are added/you already have doors roughed in.
5) You’re buddies will volunteer to work for substantially less beer than petew’s buddies will.

-Suntan
post #8 of 20 Old 11-11-2011, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

That looks pretty overboard

-Suntan

Confession time. I had more beer hidden in the drywall budget.

High Desert Theater -

Building Bass - 

Surrounds -

Storage -

post #9 of 20 Old 11-11-2011, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Awesome guys! This is enough for a start! Sounds complete to me!

I'll do it myself. I'll present this to my wife tonight!

Thanks a lot everyone!!!
post #10 of 20 Old 11-11-2011, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 257
I was going to say add 20-30% to petew's estimate for beer!

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

post #11 of 20 Old 11-11-2011, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Are you using existing ceiling?

What about risers for seating?

Lighting is a cost too?

Lighting control?

insulation?

carpet?

columns?

screen wall/ IB wall?

soffits?

I just dont see a list here that is anywhere near complete for a true theater build. I did notice someone mention the tools part. How many tools do you have for this project? I spent well over $2000 on tools alone for my build but it was rather large and I even had all the basic tools already. Bought a better router, track saw, screw gun, kreg kit, and lots of small misc stuff.

Maybe a goal should be set before doing any estimates. That will help a lot. Going over budget on a theater build is very is to do!
post #12 of 20 Old 11-11-2011, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Darn you guys have it good......in Australia:

Lumber $1500
Gyp board $2000
Compound, tape, etc $500
Nails, screws, etc $400
Paint and supplies $500
Green Glue $1000
Beer $2,000 (come on we're Aussies)

Electrician and lighting - $4,000
HVAC - $5,000

Peter the Greek

Redefining snail pace construction
"what is worth knowing is difficult to learn"

post #13 of 20 Old 11-11-2011, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic View Post

Are you using existing ceiling?

What about risers for seating?

Lighting is a cost too?

Lighting control?

insulation?

carpet?

columns?

screen wall/ IB wall?

soffits?

I just dont see a list here that is anywhere near complete for a true theater build. I did notice someone mention the tools part. How many tools do you have for this project? I spent well over $2000 on tools alone for my build but it was rather large and I even had all the basic tools already. Bought a better router, track saw, screw gun, kreg kit, and lots of small misc stuff.

Maybe a goal should be set before doing any estimates. That will help a lot. Going over budget on a theater build is very is to do!

It will be very simple for now. No stage nor risers but will definitely have it in the future. For now, I just want it to make it look like a room.

I have the plans on how I want it to look like. That's how I'll do the design.

For the tools, I'm ok with it. I was able to complete a family room and living room project previously. I might have to ask though about nailing the pressure treated wood against the concrete. I don't want to use my Remington anymore. The bang is a bit scary. LOL! hehehe. I think I want to go with tapcons. I am not sure if they're called tapcons since it's been years since I last heard it.
post #14 of 20 Old 11-12-2011, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1rtu0s1ty View Post

It will be very simple for now. No stage nor risers but will definitely have it in the future. For now, I just want it to make it look like a room.

I have the plans on how I want it to look like. That's how I'll do the design.

For the tools, I'm ok with it. I was able to complete a family room and living room project previously. I might have to ask though about nailing the pressure treated wood against the concrete. I don't want to use my Remington anymore. The bang is a bit scary. LOL! hehehe. I think I want to go with tapcons. I am not sure if they're called tapcons since it's been years since I last heard it.

Yes tapcon will work. Just takes a lot longer and get pleanty of bits!!!! Ok, basic room with basic lighting and no soffit correct? Still need lighting, hvac, carpet or other flooring (this will be an added cost later down the road since you will need risers) you know that though, You didnt mention the ceiling though. Is that gonna need joists or is it already in place? That will add a lot of cost on lumber, drywall, finishing, painting etc.... I'm guessing no sound proofing at all since didnt comment on soffits so all lighting and hvac in ceiling equals easy job!

Just reread your first post and it does say ceiling but does this mean rough framing is there I'm guessing?
post #15 of 20 Old 11-13-2011, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 23
My builder wants $13,000 to finish 20x30x12 through drywall. Is that too much? It includes dedicated 2ton hvac for the room, clips, and one layer of drywall. No paint. No carpet. No soffits.

post #16 of 20 Old 11-13-2011, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

What does the 13K include for electrical? Low voltage included to your specification? If doing clips, does that include backer boxes for any lights?
post #17 of 20 Old 11-13-2011, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabident View Post

My builder wants $13,000 to finish 20x30x12 through drywall. Is that too much? It includes dedicated 2ton hvac for the room, clips, and one layer of drywall. No paint. No carpet. No soffits.

Is that a structure or just finishing a room that is already under roof? Seems like it would be under roof already though just by the figure. May not be too high for just finish work really.

Drywall dont pay more than $0.40sqft hung and finished
framer wouldnt cost much at all maybe 2k or so at most. that would be on the high side!
wood 2k at most on high side
drywall about 300-400 at most
hvac about 5k maybe little more. areas really vary with that as the companies can charge by demand
figure 1k on materials dont really know how much clips and channels cost

So, no doesnt look too bad. contractors have to make money too.
post #18 of 20 Old 11-13-2011, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felgar View Post

What does the 13K include for electrical? Low voltage included to your specification? If doing clips, does that include backer boxes for any lights?

For that price I assumed electrical was in place already. Like this is a garage or basement. Would almost have to be at that price or I would be worried about the quality of work I was getting. quick figures show a small profit for the contractor
post #19 of 20 Old 11-13-2011, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Thanks for the responses guys. Like OP, this was mostly just to make the room a room, but prepped for a HT.

It is a room in the basement in a house we're going to build. The room comes framed & insulated with the house. Originally the finishing was suppose to be for the shell according to Dennis's specs. But I don't have full specs yet so we were trying to pick a baseline then upgrade from there later with a change order. So I guess it's for basic electrical, $2k allowance for soundproofing (clips & channel), and 5/8" single drywall. GG + DD was $3k more.

I was going to have the room unfinished for contract, then upgrade from there, but was told for permitting we need walls & hvac at a minimum.

post #20 of 20 Old 11-14-2011, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Just fyi, for anyone looking to finish an unfinished basement. Electrical code for an unfinished space is not the same as for habitable livingspace. Basically, if your basement just has the one required outlet over in the corner, you're going to need to add some more.

-Suntan
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page