Frankenstein Theater Project - Page 3 - AVS Forum
1  2  3 4  5  ... Last
Dedicated Theater Design & Construction > Frankenstein Theater Project
Expat444's Avatar Expat444 07:00 PM 12-26-2011
iNet, best iPhone networking tool by far.
LL
LL

Expat444's Avatar Expat444 12:32 AM 12-30-2011
Temporary screen up and running.
Test pattern and 4:3 content.
LL
LL
NicksHitachi's Avatar NicksHitachi 12:47 PM 12-30-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expat444 View Post

Sub-panel finished.

Nice foresight plenty of POWER!

Quote:

Screen wall speaker install.

What type of speaker setup is that? Ive never seen mains with speaks so close to the stage before.....

Quote:

Thanks, that's one of the reasons I'm running two separate racks as I don't want the HT sounding like a data center.

Again, Smart. Its slightly noticeable on completely silent scenes with all the fans running. Reguarding the hummmmmm my PS3(fat) and EP4000 are the biggest culprits.

Nice Start Expat!!
Expat444's Avatar Expat444 05:42 PM 12-30-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

Nice foresight plenty of POWER!

What type of speaker setup is that? Ive never seen mains with speaks so close to the stage before.....

Again, Smart. Its slightly noticeable on completely silent scenes with all the fans running. Reguarding the hummmmmm my PS3(fat) and EP4000 are the biggest culprits.

Nice Start Expat!!

Thanks, there are 2x30A & 2x20A feeds for the HT

LCR: 3 x Triad on-wall Bronze mounted in the screen wall.
At the bottom are the Subs: 2 x Episode ES-SUB-IW-DUAL8

Both racks are filling up nicely, I would have gone with larger (especially for rack #2) but I got a good deal on the Snap AV 16Us.
Expat444's Avatar Expat444 09:32 PM 12-30-2011
Wider temporary screen with 2.35:1 content.
LL
LL
Expat444's Avatar Expat444 09:34 PM 12-30-2011
Projector mounted (in theory temporarily)
LL
LL
petew's Avatar petew 10:26 AM 12-31-2011
Wow you are making good progress. That will slow down considerably now though. You should haul the couch out and get some concrete blocks to sit on - can't be too comfortable or nothing will get done!
NicksHitachi's Avatar NicksHitachi 12:56 PM 12-31-2011
If thats a panny projector and you still have drywall to do, I'd take it to another part of house. Those things are magnets for dust blobs. I have a minor one only visible in completely dark scenes and I didn't mount it until after i was ready to watch a movie.

Although after I recently cleaned the filter the blob is less visible or completely gone not sure....

Which aspect you going with? I went with 2.37 and cant remember ever seeing blank screen or overscan from my seat........
Expat444's Avatar Expat444 01:25 PM 12-31-2011
Quote:

If thats a panny projector and you still have drywall to do, I'd take it to another part of house. Those things are magnets for dust blobs. I have a minor one only visible in completely dark scenes and I didn't mount it until after i was ready to watch a movie.

Although after I recently cleaned the filter the blob is less visible or completely gone not sure....

Which aspect you going with? I went with 2.37 and cant remember ever seeing blank screen or overscan from my seat........

Yes I'll be hiding it when we finish the curtain wall, the current plan is to fill it with OC703 and cover it with fabric panels, so, no dry wall but lots of potential dust.

I'm going for a custom screen design that I blatantly stole from Brad H. He did 136x63, I think mine will be slightly smaller due to the 15' throw range.
Details of his screen are in a thread he started in the screen area (linked in his sig.).
Expat444's Avatar Expat444 07:40 PM 01-02-2012
Projector back in its box, spent the day wiring the rear & side 4 speakers (9 speakers now done, only 2 more to go) and wiring the power to the riser & curtain wall.
LL
LL
Expat444's Avatar Expat444 03:41 PM 01-13-2012
So here's my to do lists:

HT to do:
1) UPS/30A circuits
2) Finish bar wiring
3) Trim stage & riser edges
4) Front/stage HVAC vent
5) Resolve riser to bar wall gap
6) Adjust curtain wall so that bottom matches stub wall
7) Trim bar wall (panel joints & corners)
8) Step lights in riser
9) Decide how to finish bar surface
10) Finish top of screen wall (2x4, 2x6, 2x8, 2x10?)

Part 2
1) Fabric panels on curtain wall
2) Wiring from screen wall to rack for IR extender
3) Install IR extender
4) Fabric panels on screen wall
5) Last set of speakers
6) Far wall matching stub wall panels
7) Bar lighting
8) Stage lighting
9) Insteon setup
10) Screen
11) Ethernet wiring
12) Decide how to finish bar surface
13) Bar stools
14) Screen wall curtains.
15) Entrance curtains.

On the other hand I did get to do volume tests today, just to make sure all the speakers were working properly
Expat444's Avatar Expat444 01:41 PM 01-17-2012
So DirecTv came and installed the HD receiver and setup whole home networking, it all went surprisingly easy except for a minor glitch when he crashed my home network by bridging it through the DTV wireless access point.
Expat444's Avatar Expat444 01:46 PM 01-17-2012
So I'm trying to work out the best size for my screen, despite stealing Brad's design (thanks again Brad), it looks like my dimensions will be slightly different as I think my throw range is limiting my maximum width to 132".
Given that there's no way I'm moving the curtain wall etc. to increase the throw range, it looks like my screen will be ~132x67, on the plus side, the pictures pretty good already during the day with light coming through the temporary screen so that all bodes well for the final setup.

More measurements:
16:9 -> 70.5x126
2.35:1 -> 56.5x132

Combined 1.89:1 -> 70x132
Expat444's Avatar Expat444 07:33 PM 01-18-2012
Exciting delivery!
LL
LL
Expat444's Avatar Expat444 07:17 PM 01-20-2012
Need help to decide how to do the fabric panels and screen.
So how have everyone tackled the fabric panels on the screen wall?
Did you build the panels then install the screen on top so that it's raised away from the surface of the screen wall or recess the screen so that it's level or recessed below the fabric panels on the screen wall?
What did you build the screen wall fabric frames from too, 1x1 furring strips?
Thanks as I've kind of stalled now that I need to build these panels.
Expat444's Avatar Expat444 07:08 PM 01-21-2012
Material frames for curtain wall.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
Expat444's Avatar Expat444 07:09 PM 01-21-2012
New color choices:
LL
LL
mbahr's Avatar mbahr 07:57 PM 01-21-2012
Looks like a nice theater.

And it *used* to be a beautiful home.

Why in the world would you ever cover up those windows!

Amazing.
Expat444's Avatar Expat444 08:18 PM 01-21-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbahr View Post

Amazing.

Thank you, I think

Even though it's probably the largest room in the house we never use it which is why we chose it to be the theater, all of the structures are designed to be removable so that we can return it to its former role when we need to move etc. The windows actually look out onto a retaining wall as our house is built into a hillside so we didn't loose the view.
petew's Avatar petew 09:11 AM 01-22-2012
Quote:

Amazing.

Expat444's Avatar Expat444 06:10 PM 01-22-2012
49ers v's NY Giants.
LL
LL
Expat444's Avatar Expat444 09:04 PM 01-24-2012
2 panels done, 4 billion to go......
LL
Brad Horstkotte's Avatar Brad Horstkotte 09:23 PM 01-24-2012
Quote:

So how have everyone tackled the fabric panels on the screen wall?
Did you build the panels then install the screen on top so that it's raised away from the surface of the screen wall or recess the screen so that it's level or recessed below the fabric panels on the screen wall?
What did you build the screen wall fabric frames from too, 1x1 furring strips?
Thanks as I've kind of stalled now that I need to build these panels.

I built mine so the screen wall panels are flush with the screen frame - the screen frame is 1 1/2" deep, so I used 2x2s for the screen wall frames. I still need to redo mine though - I used Commando Cloth because I had a ton of extra material (company sent me more than I ordered for my soffit) - but it didn't hold tension well, ended up with some waves in it - and not quite as black as ideal, so replacing with triple velvet.

Quote:

With the addition of a dedicated HT, it will be beautifuller.

Quote:

2 panels done, 4 billion to go......

Lol, yeah I remember that - they do take forever - but you'll get into a mind numbing routine and bang them out.
Expat444's Avatar Expat444 10:05 AM 01-26-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

I built mine so the screen wall panels are flush with the screen frame - the screen frame is 1 1/2" deep, so I used 2x2s for the screen wall frames. I still need to redo mine though - I used Commando Cloth because I had a ton of extra material (company sent me more than I ordered for my soffit) - but it didn't hold tension well, ended up with some waves in it - and not quite as black as ideal, so replacing with triple velvet.

With the addition of a dedicated HT, it will be beautifuller.

Lol, yeah I remember that - they do take forever - but you'll get into a mind numbing routine and bang them out.

Thanks for the great info, I've been pondering this for a while and I've realized that I need to extend my screen wall (again) so that I can shift the screen higher and still have space between the top of the screen surround and the top of the wall.
I can finish off the panels on the curtain wall but then I need to re-plan and extend the screen wall, finalize and order the screen then build the fabric panels once it's install, that shouldn't take long should it......
Expat444's Avatar Expat444 05:57 PM 01-26-2012
Front of curtain wall covered, good news is that the color makes it harder to see the wrinkles.
LL
LL
Expat444's Avatar Expat444 12:46 AM 01-31-2012
Screen wall - plan B
So we've tried out a few screen configurations and I've come to the conclusion that the screen is too low, to raise the screen I need to extend the screen wall at which point it will overshadow the remaining windows so, the new plan is to extend the screen wall to the ceiling.
I'm still considering wether to wall in the alcove on the left side of the stage and use it for storage or fill it full of OC703 and use it as a base trap.
LL
LL
LL
NicksHitachi's Avatar NicksHitachi 04:04 AM 01-31-2012
Exp,

Your build is moving along fast!

I dont think youll be at all disappointed with moving the screen up as long as its still a good angle from the bar....

I dont remember are you gonna block off those wimdows? I hope so with a screen that size.....
Expat444's Avatar Expat444 05:38 PM 01-31-2012
Quote:

Exp,

Your build is moving along fast!

I dont think youll be at all disappointed with moving the screen up as long as its still a good angle from the bar....

I dont remember are you gonna block off those wimdows? I hope so with a screen that size.....

I blocked off the windows behind the current screen wall and was planning to keep the top narrow windows but with the new plan to extend the screen wall to the ceiling then I'll be blocking off these windows as well.
Expat444's Avatar Expat444 04:28 PM 02-05-2012
Had a gap before the wall work goes forward so decided to look at my media storage again.
This is my intended unraid chassis:
+ve:
Will hold 18 disks, 30-50TB depending on the HDDs.
-ve:
Sounds like a leaf blower, makes the Apple RAID box sound quiet!
LL
LL
Expat444's Avatar Expat444 08:23 PM 02-08-2012
Quote:

I blocked off the windows behind the current screen wall and was planning to keep the top narrow windows but with the new plan to extend the screen wall to the ceiling then I'll be blocking off these windows as well.

Progress! Well kind of, the full wall is now in place and we spent the rest of the day readjusting the stage and riser.....
LL
1  2  3 4  5  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop