The Brown Family Cinema for beginners thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 301 Old 01-23-2012, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Okay, after measuring the room after the false wall and stage being installed, I realize that I have 12ft and 2 inches from the stage to the back wall. I previously eliminated any possibility of a riser due to the space issues but now I am reconsidering. Do you guys think I could squeeze a riser into my space? The riser couldn't be more than 3 feet in length which (I know) is incredibly small.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 301 Old 01-23-2012, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Looking great man!

A riser would be difficult with that small space. Definitely not going to fit a regular couch or some berklines on there. You could look into doing some "real" theater seats like these:

http://www.theaterseatstore.com/The-...8&category=160

They are about 30" wide. If you did the back of your first row at 8 feet and then a 4' 2" riser I think something like this would work.

Or maybe look into some bar seating in the back?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A DIY high school project (now complete and being enjoyed everyday)

post #93 of 301 Old 01-23-2012, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

^Sigh that's what I'm thinking. Those seats looks nifty but they just wouldn't match the decor of the room.....I'm glad I'm not claustrophobic!

post #94 of 301 Old 01-23-2012, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by azula View Post

^haha.....thank you sir for the inspiration!

next, I will paint the frame black and also contract out the paint work for the room. I have been going back and forth with colors but I'm pretty sure it will be something in the brown family. Also going to paint ceiling a dark blue color to prepare for painted stars. Everything is coming along nicely at the point....I love the build but I can't wait to get this done and start enjoying the fruits of my mistakes, and labor!

May I suggest Starry Night a Valspar product from Lowes. It is a very very dark blue and being "starry night" would be a perfect fit for stars. If you look at pictures of my build my ceiling and front wall are done in. When the lights are down low it is almost black, with the lights up it add color without looking like a complete bat cave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azula View Post

^Sigh that's what I'm thinking. Those seats looks nifty but they just wouldn't match the decor of the room.....I'm glad I'm not claustrophobic!

I second the caution of a riser in your room. A rear bar/counter would be much better and you can even purchase stand alone bar. I'm afraid that if you try to shoe horn a riser in there you will be trying to put 10#'s of $%#@ in a 5# bag.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #95 of 301 Old 01-23-2012, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

^Thanks RT. You're build is coming along nicely, love the paint scheme. I found another color at HD called "midnight sky" by behr paint. I haven't made any color choices yet so I will definitely propose that color to the wife (WAF plus, let her choose the colors, haha)

With regard to the seats, I will definitely hold off until I physically see the seats I want. I would rather have less seating at optimal viewing/listening position rather than more seats and crappy positioning.

post #96 of 301 Old 01-27-2012, 03:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Take a look on craigslist for seats being removed from an actual theater or auditorium. You might get lucky and find some classic seats real cheap that just need some refurb. There were some by me in Harrisburg a month or so ago.

Dave

|
|
|
post #97 of 301 Old 01-27-2012, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_pilgrim View Post

Take a look on craigslist for seats being removed from an actual theater or auditorium. You might get lucky and find some classic seats real cheap that just need some refurb. There were some by me in Harrisburg a month or so ago.

Thanks DC,

I've been scouring the net trying to find some decent seats. I located some from a company called midwest theater seating. I've been going back and forth with them, hopefully I can get a reasonable price on 6 rocker chairs. I will keep you guys updated.

post #98 of 301 Old 01-27-2012, 09:37 PM

Liked: 10
Hi Azula,

Great space you've got going. I think it's really going to turn out nicely. I'm putting the minimalist wall together right now myself but waiting on my screen wall treatments before assembly.

Anyway, I wanted to echo the recommendation of bar seating as your second row. Takes up much less space, does not require a riser, and stools can be pushed out of the way when not in use. As I'm sure you've seen, MANY people on here have used them (including me.) Personally, I didn't want to sacrifice viewing distance--and therefore screen size--to add a full 2nd row.

Just my opinion.

Carry on with the great work,
Cory

- feedback welcomed encouraged needed badly
post #99 of 301 Old 01-27-2012, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I just picked up some awesome seats from the local Kmart. A row of four was only about $500. They aren't real leather but have full recline and cup holders. I am really impressed with them. Now I'm not saying they're berklines but for the price it sure beats the couch I was gonna use. Here's the original AVS thread for them. Lots of people are very happy with their purchase.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1062161

All remaining stock is being sold since they won't be making them anymore so your local Kmart may not have them. They are on sale though so I would definitely check them out if it's what you're looking for.

post #100 of 301 Old 01-28-2012, 03:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaustin View Post

I just picked up some awesome seats from the local Kmart. A row of four was only about $500. They aren't real leather but have full recline and cup holders. I am really impressed with them. Now I'm not saying they're berklines but for the price it sure beats the couch I was gonna use. Here's the original AVS thread for them. Lots of people are very happy with their purchase.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1062161

All remaining stock is being sold since they won't be making them anymore so your local Kmart may not have them. They are on sale though so I would definitely check them out if it's what you're looking for.

those seats look like an awesome buy, especially at that price. they may not be ideal for me though because of the lack of room. i'm in the process of hunting down some quality rockers. seems like the rockers are just as expensive as full size seats!

post #101 of 301 Old 02-06-2012, 10:16 AM

Liked: 12
Nice looking built. And very sharp Z you snuck in a few pages back. Great progress in a short time. Can't wait to see the result!

Now Operational!

post #102 of 301 Old 02-06-2012, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

^thanks bro, working on the bass traps and paint at the moment. the z is my pride and joy, battery dies alot though because it is never driven. lol....pics coming soon.

post #103 of 301 Old 02-08-2012, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

So how's it been? Are you covered in paint yet?

I'm starting to think about acoustical treatments for my room a little more but am trying to make some decisions. Could you elaborate a little more on your plan in this respect?

post #104 of 301 Old 02-13-2012, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

What's up aaustin! Funny you should ask, I have been elbow deep in colors for a while now (literally and metaphorically) lol. As far as acoustical treatments, I don't much on the subject except for what I have learned on this forum. I know that I need bass traps and I need to get those first reflection points covered. Anything further than that, this guy has no idea what he's doing. Speaking of bass traps!

Bass traps are in and covered! I picked up some black speaker cloth from Jo-anne's fabric. The bass traps were made with Roxul insulation, the stuff is soft but relatively easy to work with. I based my construction of the bass traps off of Brad Horstkotte's build.

The bass traps were fabricated with 2 1x2's for the frame, took about an hour to cut the roxul and stack em up to the ceiling! I wore long sleeves but that was only a temporary itch resister! I will have an "outbreak" suit on hand if I ever have to deal with this stuff again....pics..

Close up picture on one of the traps.

post #105 of 301 Old 02-13-2012, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Well after looking at many of the beautiful murals on this forum and others, I've decided to embark on painting a ceiling of my own. (If that sounded like I was doing it then I am definitely misleading you). I decided to have the base color of my ceiling painted a dark color to eliminate possible reflections from the screen. The color is "starless night" by Behr Paint.

I have been corresponding with Jeff (nightskymurals) and Danny from Glowinc.com and both have been telling me that a darker base color will reduce the overall performance of the glow stars. I may reevaluate my decision and go with a lighter base color.

Here is my current base ceiling color:

I might change this to a lighter color if it will make the mural glow brighter, still getting feedback. And feedback is definitely welcome!!

post #106 of 301 Old 02-13-2012, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks awesome!

I don't know much (make that anything) about painted star ceilings but I personally like the darker color. If it doesn't work well with the stars though you might want to reconsider. I think other people can give you a better answer.

Those bass traps look sweet! In terms of your first reflection points where you planning on building acoustical panels? If yes how big are you planning on making these and what type of material will you use? More Roxul, OC703, etc?

Thanks and keep up the good work!

post #107 of 301 Old 02-13-2012, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Ah, memories of my own insulation installation. Just thinking about it makes me itch. Looking good my friend. I know regarding the star ceiling that it might seem counter productive to have a lighter ceiling in the theater but to have a star ceiling you just may have to compromise on best performance and what ends up looking better with regards to the star ceiling.

If the star ceiling is really something you want to me it is a no brainer to lighten up the ceiling color to get that done so it looks right. I don't think that you will be giving up much for your to get your star ceiling. Of course this is just my opinion, however looking at my own theater with a very dark blue ceiling I can tell you this. The first two to three feet out from the screen on the ceiling is the most critical for light reflected off the screen so you could paint that really dark and then lighten up for the remainder of the ceiling to get the desired effect for the star ceiling. Something to think about anyway.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #108 of 301 Old 02-14-2012, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaustin View Post

Looks awesome!

I don't know much (make that anything) about painted star ceilings but I personally like the darker color. If it doesn't work well with the stars though you might want to reconsider. I think other people can give you a better answer.

Those bass traps look sweet! In terms of your first reflection points where you planning on building acoustical panels? If yes how big are you planning on making these and what type of material will you use? More Roxul, OC703, etc?

Thanks and keep up the good work!

Thanks for the words aaustin, looking for updates in your build to buddy! quick slackin! haha.

well, I have been following threads here and according to my findings, my setup is a acoustical catastrophe...lol. I will be sitting along the back wall (that's a no no), my side surrounds will be out of the 90-110 degree margin (no, no), and I have a square room (major no, no)....I've read through one of my favorite builds a million times (The arthouse build) and his room dimensions and limitations are pretty much identical. What he did was address this issue by building panels to treat his (assumed) reflection points. However there is a lot of controversy on acoustical setup up as I'm sure you are aware.

I plan on purchasing some 2" thick suede panels from acoustimac to address this issue. I have my eye on some suede seats (can't divulge details yet!) that would match the panels very nicely.

From what I understand, in order to treat first reflection points, one should sit in the primary seating position and have someone else (i.e. reluctant wife) run a mirror along the side walls until you see the speakers. I have not attempted this as of yet because I haven't even purchased the speakers yet. Hopefully it won't be too much longer! Any insight is greatly appreciated!

post #109 of 301 Old 02-14-2012, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Ah, memories of my own insulation installation. Just thinking about it makes me itch. Looking good my friend. I know regarding the star ceiling that it might seem counter productive to have a lighter ceiling in the theater but to have a star ceiling you just may have to compromise on best performance and what ends up looking better with regards to the star ceiling.

If the star ceiling is really something you want to me it is a no brainer to lighten up the ceiling color to get that done so it looks right. I don't think that you will be giving up much for your to get your star ceiling. Of course this is just my opinion, however looking at my own theater with a very dark blue ceiling I can tell you this. The first two to three feet out from the screen on the ceiling is the most critical for light reflected off the screen so you could paint that really dark and then lighten up for the remainder of the ceiling to get the desired effect for the star ceiling. Something to think about anyway.

Regards,

RTROSE

Thanks a lot RT! I'm currently waiting to hear back from the "glow experts" to get a consensus whether or not painting stars against a dark base is even beneficial. I am, however, currently leaning towards just lightening up the ceiling for the best performance as this will be the "wow" factor in my entire setup. I will keep you posted! Paint is currently going on the walls!

post #110 of 301 Old 02-14-2012, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Looking good azula - sexy bass traps!

|
|
|
|
| Xbox Live: Atomic Hamper
post #111 of 301 Old 02-14-2012, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

^Thanks Brad!

Just ordered some seats from 4seating.com. Their early reviews were incredibly terrible but their recent reviews are much better. Also did some research on BBB and they have an "A-" score....not bad.

Unfortunately, no other company had the layout configuration, color, and price I was comfortable with. I have been talking back and forth with Dario and he has offered exceptional customer service. Of course this was before the sale. I will let you guys know how everything turns out. I should have these seats in 7-10 business days. Thankfully, I ordered with a credit card so we will see what happens!

post #112 of 301 Old 02-20-2012, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

So I just purchased 6 of these to put around the perimeter of my soffit.

They are American DJ blacklight fixtures. Each fixture has a plug however they are not capable of plugging into each other (like christmas lights), hence my problem. I have one receptacle located in the back of the soffit. My question is, is there a way I can splice the wires to interconnect these devices? Or would it be simpler (safer) to just buy extension cords to reach the fixtures on the sides and front of the soffit? I wanted this to look as clean as possible and I would like to eliminate extra wiring (i.e. extension cords) if I can.

post #113 of 301 Old 02-21-2012, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, I answered my own question, two extension cords solved the issue. All blacklights are up and running around the soffit. I don't have any stars yet (coming next week) but it already looks quite impressive. I'll try to get some shots asap!

post #114 of 301 Old 02-22-2012, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Looking forward to seeing stars. That will be very cool. I guess I did not realize they were "powered by" black lights. Should have thought about it a little but makes perfect sense though. Are you planning on having the black lights on a switched outlet or are they going to be on all the time?

Just remember that no pics, no progress.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #115 of 301 Old 02-23-2012, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

Here ya go RT!

Threw some paint on the walls, I was mostly inspired from Dragon Reborn's beautiful theater!

shot of the screen support brace painted black....it disappears into the stage, LOVE IT!

rear of the theater. plan on staining the av rack

after seeing the soffit the lighter color, decided to go with the darker color brown. darkens the room even more (which is obviously what i'm going for).

Getting the room painting is a HUGE jump forward (or at least that's what it feels like to me). Feels like all I need is a projector and screen, screw the speakers! lol......getting ahead of myself I suppose.

Currently working the DIY 105" Seymour CenterStage XD screen and getting those blacklights wired and velcro'd in there! stay tuned!

post #116 of 301 Old 02-23-2012, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Look what I got in the mail!! I have nothing but good things to say about Dario and the 4seating company. I got my seats about a week from the order date. I had to lug these bad boys in the house myself though....asking for too much I guess. lol.

post #117 of 301 Old 03-03-2012, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

room painted, stars painted...I just need a camera capable of capturing the stars! next up, carpet!

post #118 of 301 Old 03-04-2012, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow,

Room is coming along really nicely. I always am cautious when guys go with brown colors. Ya know there are just so many ways you can go with that color, Let me tell you though, I really love the color choices they work very well together. I especially like the dark brown color, has a very "rich" look to it. Well done. As for carpet, well you have come to the right place I here for you as a CCC (Certified Carpet Counselor) I'm here if you need me. Now just get some pics of the chairs, and when you can of the stars.

Oh, and just remember don't hang the PJ until you are done. With regards to speakers? I went quite some time without speakers, just sat there memorized by the image.

Keep the progress coming, looks fantastic.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #119 of 301 Old 03-04-2012, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Wow,

Room is coming along really nicely. I always am cautious when guys go with brown colors. Ya know there are just so many ways you can go with that color, Let me tell you though, I really love the color choices they work very well together. I especially like the dark brown color, has a very "rich" look to it. Well done. As for carpet, well you have come to the right place I here for you as a CCC (Certified Carpet Counselor) I'm here if you need me. Now just get some pics of the chairs, and when you can of the stars.

Oh, and just remember don't hang the PJ until you are done. With regards to speakers? I went quite some time without speakers, just sat there memorized by the image.

Keep the progress coming, looks fantastic.

Regards,

RTROSE

Thanks so much RT! The PJ is still in the box and shall not come out until everything is complete (or at least, that's the plan, lol). With regards to the paint, I am also wary with brown shades. I, however, cannot take credit for the colors. I saw them used by another member on this forum (dragon reborn) and absolutely fell in love. The seats I got are red which will match the stage curtains and I'm thinking a lighter colored carpet for contrast? I will post some carpet samples as soon as possible.

post #120 of 301 Old 03-04-2012, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow! Looks awesome!

I also am digging the colors. I think I will "borrow" some of them for my room. I'm thinking maybe replacing the tan with dark red though. Either way they look great!

And might I also add how beautiful the weather looks in the picture of your chairs getting unloaded. I wish it looked like that up North......

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page