The Brown Family Cinema for beginners thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 301 Old 04-03-2012, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I noticed the clearance issue as well. While if I had the means I would certainly indulge in a super car, or two. However they are impractical as daily drivers as the clearance issues would get you every time you pulled into 7 Eleven to get a Slushy. With the Z and the Vette you could use those as daily drivers if needed with out the paparazzi type crowd draws and the need to see a body shop guy every time you went anywhere with curbs, bumps, potholes, speed bumps or sticks in the road. LOL

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 301 Old 04-03-2012, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Yeah I see what you guys mean about the clearance issue. I can hear the scraping.

Perhaps an Audi R8 for everyday driving then. I love the color of this one.

I've also had my eye on the new Acura NSX concept. I love unique looking cars that turn heads and look different from everything else on the road. The efficiency of the NSX with its V6 engine and hybrid system that still produces something like 450 horsepower also intrigues me. That and the fact that it's price will be about $35,000-$40,000. Pretty economical for such a cool looking and powerful car.

The Austin Home Theater:
A DIY high school project (now complete and being enjoyed everyday)

post #183 of 301 Old 04-03-2012, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 13
^NO WAY! I know it's just a concept and they usually smooth down those radical lines but a gas efficient, 450hp, (exotic?), Acura....all for 35k?? That's insane! And that R8 is too sexy for my thread. lol.
post #184 of 301 Old 04-03-2012, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah I love the lines and the big wheels. If they keep the look and price close to what they are now then I know that I will own one someday. It's really a fascinating car. The mechanical systems are super interesting. Each front wheel has an electric motor that is independently controlled to aid in turning and acceleration. I've also heard that it will utilize some kind of regenerative braking system while turning.

This article has some basic info on some of the features.
http://carissued.com/acura/2013-acur...e-reviews.html

The Austin Home Theater:

post #185 of 301 Old 04-04-2012, 02:35 PM

Location: Based in Salt Lake City, UT... but most of my work is done all over the USA and Canada. I cover all areas.
Liked: 22
Actually, Florida wasn't bad when I was there. It's just that you painted over the air vents where the AC gets into the theater... and it was like 120 in there. :-)

I loved everything about that trip down there to help you out. You guys are awesome, weather was actually nice, good food, people and I got to check out you non -driven car.

I was hoping you were OK with me throwing up a pic of the ceiling. I didn't know when you'd be back on the forum.

Oh, hey, I left Houston yesterday to paint in Missouri, and we stopped in Dallas, where I changed planes. I think we left Dallas minutes before those tornados started touching down. Crazy!

Glad you made it to the beach!!!! And, you're correct, I haven't seen a warning like that on my phone. Actually I did... it's when I walked passed your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azula View Post

Hey hey, Florida isn't all bad. I just spent the majority of the day at the beach. The GF is extremely happy now. I bet you've never seen this on your phone! lol

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook
Hairs On Neck... Please Stand!

post #186 of 301 Old 04-06-2012, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

^haha, touche Jeff! I just got her an oil change, now i need a new tire (go figure right) and she'll be back up and running.
post #187 of 301 Old 04-06-2012, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Here are some full sized shots of the ceiling taken by Jeff. The pictures DEFINITELY do not do the ceiling justice. The beauty of the ceiling has actually slowed down my progress because all I do is sit in there for at least an hour a day relaxing. lol. Got to get motivated to finish this thing up! Anyways....on to the pictures.

picture with the blacklights on

More to come! stay tuned.
PaulFSemicolen likes this.
post #188 of 301 Old 04-06-2012, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

THAT is so COOL! It really does look fantastic. Glad you are enjoying it and able to relax and take it all in.

Regards,

RTROSE

Oh and just my thought on that new concept NSX just add a "1" onto the projected price and I might then believe it. It does look interesting and is a very neat concept.

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #189 of 301 Old 04-07-2012, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:

Here are some full sized shots of the ceiling taken by Jeff.

Speechless!

Well, almost speechless.

Cool, and congrats!
post #190 of 301 Old 04-14-2012, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

OK I'm an impatient little kid.

Any pics of that awesome carpet installed?

The Austin Home Theater:

post #191 of 301 Old 05-01-2012, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey azula;

Any updates? I've missed watching your thread progress.

The Austin Home Theater:

post #192 of 301 Old 05-02-2012, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Hey aaustin, sorry for going MIA for so long. Had a couple of detours to follow through on. Firstly, the G/F and I decided to put some hardwood down on the stairs and loft. It sounds easy but I have 25 (twenty five) steps!! All I have to say is stair nosings are the devil!! I'm still waiting for all the material to come off of back order so I can get the floor installed.

Also, my G/F got boobs. Don't really have much to say about that because I offered no resistance when she presented this idea to me. LOL.

Anyways, I managed to grab some pictures of the carpet and the room as it is now, here ya go.

Rolled it out in the garage (super nervous)

Padding down

Where the carpet meets the stage

Really happy how it turned out. It took the installers about 5 hours from start to finish to get it done. In certain light, it matches the top shade of paint on the walls, when the lights are low, it matches the bottom. I love the chameleon effect the carpet has in the room!

Up next:
Oppo BDP 93
Onkyo TX-NR809
1 more SHO-10 (speaker stands)
HSU VTF3-MK4
and Curtains

I'm back on track and purchasing equipment so I can finally enjoy a movie in there!! Keep you guys posted!
post #193 of 301 Old 05-02-2012, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
You missed the most important update picture....!

Come'on man!!

post #194 of 301 Old 05-02-2012, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Looking sweet!!

I really like that carpet. It turned out awesome. I also see that it forced you to take the car out of the garage. Hopefully you got to take it out for a spin.

The Austin Home Theater:

post #195 of 301 Old 05-02-2012, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Well I guess you got sidelined for a couple er ah I mean three reasons then. Congrats on everything! The carpet looks sweet.

Oh, and for the update on the other "upgrade" I thank you for keeping this a "family friendly" forum. Although others may not agree with me. LOL.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #196 of 301 Old 05-03-2012, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys,

she's only 3 days post op, in no condition for pictures...lol. i can start brainstorming about the next purchases while she's passed out too.

aaustin, the carpet gave me an excuse to wash the car as well. it actually collects dust by sitting in the garage for so long....took her (the car, not G/F) for a spin and still running like a champ though.
post #197 of 301 Old 05-03-2012, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

aaustin, the carpet gave me an excuse to wash the car as well. it actually collects dust by sitting in the garage for so long....took her (the car, not G/F) for a spin and still running like a champ though.

Awesome! If a sweet car like that is collecting dust then your not taking it out enough, especially in Florida where you don't have to store it for the winter.

The Austin Home Theater:

post #198 of 301 Old 05-03-2012, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaustin View Post

Awesome! If a sweet car like that is collecting dust then your not taking it out enough, especially in Florida where you don't have to store it for the winter.

I know bro. Also, the longer it sits the more problems it has....go figure.
post #199 of 301 Old 05-03-2012, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

quick question for you sound staging guru's out there. Is there any reason why I can't place my front three (L/C/R/) on speaker stands on the stage? I will be using CHT sho-10's for the fronts. Also are there any stands that are preferred?
post #200 of 301 Old 05-03-2012, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

quick question for you sound staging guru's out there. Is there any reason why I can't place my front three (L/C/R/) on speaker stands on the stage? I will be using CHT sho-10's for the fronts. Also are there any stands that are preferred?

Putting them on stands is what you want to do so that the tweeters are at seated listening height. Will these speakers be behind the false wall? If so then I'd just build my own stands to raise them to the correct height. It doesn't have to be super pretty. Some 2x4's and plywood would do the trick.

The Austin Home Theater:

post #201 of 301 Old 05-03-2012, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaustin View Post

Putting them on stands is what you want to do so that the tweeters are at seated listening height. Will these speakers be behind the false wall? If so then I'd just build my own stands to raise them to the correct height. It doesn't have to be super pretty. Some 2x4's and plywood would do the trick.

Yea austin, the speakers are going behind a false wall. The only problem is that the rear wall has a window plug in the middle of the wall. I couldn't permanently seal the rear wall because of coding issues and WAF. I wouldn't trust that weight on the rear wall. I will pre measure everything to make sure the tweets will be at ear level on the stands. thanks for the input bro!
post #202 of 301 Old 05-08-2012, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

I am currently in the process of purchasing some stands for my SHO-10's and I have a concern.

I calculated optimal speaker height by having the G/F sit in a chair on top of the 9" riser. I measured from the floor to her ear which equaled 56". Which means that the optimal height for the first row would be around 47" (minus the 9" from the riser). Would I purchase a stand that would put my speakers closer to 56", 47", or some where in between? I will be sitting on the riser but I don't want the first row to have crappy sound reproduction either. What's the best compromise?
post #203 of 301 Old 05-09-2012, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:

What's the best compromise?

IMO, and with an eye toward optimizing the sound at the LP without ignoring the needs of occupants of the first-row seats, I'd aim for 53".
post #204 of 301 Old 05-09-2012, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

IMO, and with an eye toward optimizing the sound at the LP without ignoring the needs of occupants of the first-row seats, I'd aim for 53".

I'd agree, even though I don't have any "science" to back it up. (Enter stage left aaustin with some type of science or math formula to explain it).

However, on the flip side I would tend to do what is best for the main LP. In reality you being the builder and main person enjoying your theater. I don't think that the front row's sound will be bad at all and visitor's to your theater probably won't know the difference that the sound is not "optimal".

Can you make temp stands at different heights to "see" what sounds best. That might be the best thing to do at this point.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #205 of 301 Old 05-09-2012, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

I'd agree, even though I don't have any "science" to back it up. (Enter stage left aaustin with some type of science or math formula to explain it).

Unfortunately I don't have much knowledge regarding acoustics. For some reason waves isn't a part of the AP Physics C curriculum. Pretty stupid if you ask me since it's an important concept. I guess I'll have to wait till next year in college.

It is my understanding, however, that sound with a higher frequency is more directional than sound with a lower frequency because the higher frequency waves have a shorter wavelength which results in less "spread" of the sound. Therefore it is beneficial to have the tweeters at the same height as your ears because the sound coming from them will travel on a somewhat straight path.

I agree with everyone else that you should optimize the speakers for your listening position. If you will be sitting in the back row most often then I would raise them up a little to accommodate that.

RTROSE also makes an excellent point in testing out different heights to choose what sounds best to you.

The Austin Home Theater:

post #206 of 301 Old 05-10-2012, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

I appreciate the help and input guys. @ austin, unfortunately, I can't wait a year for you to tell me what to do!! LOL.

RT, i'm going to take your advise. I am currently in the process of trying to get some adjustable stands that will accommodate all 28lbs. of this speaker. I'm also thinking that middle placement between the front and rear row would be the best compromise. Thanks again, I will keep you guys updated.
post #207 of 301 Old 05-21-2012, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Congratulations on the carpet, looks great - I knew it would. And congratulations to your gf on her new assets.
post #208 of 301 Old 05-28-2012, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Lol, thanks Brad!

So here's a couple of photos of what has kept me sidetracked the last few weeks.
Before

After

had engineered hardwood wood floors installed on the stairs and the loft. also painted the loft a nice gray color. came out really nice, the pictures don't do it justice. WAF is through the roof!!

in theater related news, I have been heavily toying with the idea of foregoing the Oppo 93 for now and building a HTPC for a while now. I really love the clean layout of XBMC/WMC and I also love the fact that everything can be consolidated into one machine. Furthermore, I have a PS3 if I want that straight blu-ray playback too. This is the machine that I have pieced together so far.

CPU
Sandy Bridge 2105

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z68ma

RAM
G. Skill 2x2 DDR3 1600 ripjaws

HDD
Samsung F4 2TB hard drive

Case
Silverstone GD04B

Optical Drive
Lite-on IHBS112-04

SSD
Crucial M4 64GB

I know nothing about HTPC's so I've been doing a ton of research on AVS and XBMC to get a grasp on what I'm getting myself into. Hopefully I will have all the parts by next week and I will document my build for everyone. Please pipe in if you guys have any experience with this kind of thing as I know nothing whatsoever. lol
post #209 of 301 Old 05-28-2012, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Dont forget Media Browser.

Azula,

Your theater room is looking very nice. The star mural looks AMAZING!!!

Xzener
post #210 of 301 Old 05-28-2012, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

thanks so much xzener,

I was planning on using XBMC just because I hear about it more. I'm guessing that Media Browser just enhances Windows Media Center? How would you compare the two (XMBC vs. Media Browser/WMC)?
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page