BIGmouthinDC travels to Ohio to help build a Dennis Erskine designed space - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 369 Old 03-03-2012, 07:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
[quote=BIGmouthinDC;21352311]

Building the Riser

The Erskine design of the riser involves a perimeter of 2x10s, cross members of 8x10's. The 8x10 space is insulated and an air gap is left at the bottom. a corner slot vent is cut turning the riser into an absorber. The technical details and determining the volume and tuning appropriate for your room are His intellectual property and you should engage him for help if you are interested.

"...an air gap is left at the bottom (of the riser)...."
How do you prevent the insulation from slipping down over time?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 369 Old 03-03-2012, 12:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Good question! I'll answer it with a cryptic response...per usual. Is the insulation causing the resonances or the cavity formed from the joists that are causing it? I guess the real question is, does it matter if the insualtion is touching the floor or not?

Shawn Byrne
Erskine Group
CEDIA Certified Professional EST II - HAA Level III Certified -THX Certified Professional

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #183 of 369 Old 03-04-2012, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 610
DIY, In this case the insulation flange was stapled to the joists.
Shawn, just following the plans from your company.

PROJECTS:

post #184 of 369 Old 03-04-2012, 10:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Shawn Byrne
Erskine Group
CEDIA Certified Professional EST II - HAA Level III Certified -THX Certified Professional

post #185 of 369 Old 03-04-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:

My longest 2x10 span is 129" on a 2x12 perimeter. Should I use joist hangers?

post #186 of 369 Old 03-04-2012, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

IMHO not unless you are planning on having 20 people dancing on the riser. I didn't use them.

PROJECTS:

post #187 of 369 Old 03-05-2012, 03:35 AM

Quote:

IMHO not unless you are planning on having 20 people dancing on the riser. I didn't use them.

Did you secure the riser to the floor?

I wont be able to get the framing nails into the 2x10 (decking) studs from outside the perimeter framing on the back wall (the way I would have liked). My option then is to toe-nail them in, but never having done this before, not sure if they will hold the weight.

post #188 of 369 Old 03-05-2012, 03:46 AM

What's the purpose of putting Green Glue between the layers of decking in the riser and stage? Roofing felt?

post #189 of 369 Old 03-05-2012, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

I've built risers/stages with double layers with roofing felt, and Per DE's instructions done triple layers with GG. After thumping around with my size twelve dance shoes I actually prefer the later and that will be the way I would do my next personal theater. It was more rigid and quieter.

PROJECTS:

post #190 of 369 Old 03-05-2012, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

for now it is on to the next theater.

Hi Ho Silver ... AWAY!!

bzbase's wife: "Who was that masked man? I wanted to thank him!"

post #191 of 369 Old 03-06-2012, 03:02 AM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:

I've built risers/stages with double layers with roofing felt, and Per DE's instructions done triple layers with GG. After thumping around with my size twelve dance shoes I actually prefer the later and that will be the way I would do my next personal theater. It was more rigid and quieter.

Big - I wanted to ask you about this construction method. I have seen Dennis' proscenium plans where two layers of 3/4" sandwich a layer of 1/2" with Green Glue in-between. This makes sense to me for trying to prevent sound vibration from transmitting into the floor and creating flanking noises in other rooms.

But for the riser, I don't really see how green glue and/or felt would come into play. Isn't it best just to glue (construction adhesive) and screw two layers of 3/4" ply with nothing in between for the strongest connection? What exactly does the felt do? Or what is the benefit of using Green Glue in the riser? Thanks in advance for the input!

post #192 of 369 Old 03-06-2012, 04:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 63
The roofing felt is inexpensive, and it prevents wood to wood squeaks.
post #193 of 369 Old 03-06-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:

As promised I am going to recap this project and show some of the intermediate details of the build.

There is going to be bar seating at the back of the riser so some wiring and a conduit were required

Fotto stopped in for a day and lent a hand insulating, connecting the wiring and putting on the decking. A big THANK YOU.

What kind of cabling did you put in? Anything specific for controlling the Components via a wire (CAT5)?

post #194 of 369 Old 03-06-2012, 09:35 AM

Liked: 148
I like the look of the stage!
post #195 of 369 Old 03-06-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:

What type of electrical boxes are these? I could not find them at the local HD (or maybe I was looking at the wrong kind). Do you have the SKU #?

post #196 of 369 Old 03-06-2012, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYHomeTheater View Post

What type of electrical boxes are these? I could not find them at the local HD (or maybe I was looking at the wrong kind). Do you have the SKU #?

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...llow&cId=PDIO1

They are at HD too. You need to cut off the metal parts that get in the way. Tin snips.

PROJECTS:

post #197 of 369 Old 03-07-2012, 04:02 AM

Quote:

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...llow&cId=PDIO1

They are at HD too. You need to cut off the metal parts that get in the way. Tin ships.

I think that I will get the standard size from HD (21 cu. in.) and not the refrigerator sized version from Lowes (21 cu. ft.)

Thanks

post #198 of 369 Old 03-07-2012, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYHomeTheater View Post

I think that I will get the standard size from HD (21 cu. in.) and not the refrigerator sized version from Lowes (21 cu. ft.)

Thanks

Those look pretty handy. if you need to move your fridge, just turn a screw.

post #199 of 369 Old 03-07-2012, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Ha ha ha. Lowes FAIL

------

post #200 of 369 Old 03-09-2012, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

The adventure PART II starts now - I'm packed and ready to go. Ready for a day of junk food pit stops.

PROJECTS:

post #201 of 369 Old 03-09-2012, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Pics please - possible third career on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives?

|
|
|
|
| Xbox Live: Atomic Hamper
post #202 of 369 Old 03-09-2012, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:

The adventure PART II starts now - I'm packed and ready to go. Ready for a day of junk food pit stops.

Oh now I'm excited! Are there any time constraints this time?

A DIY high school project (now complete and being enjoyed everyday)

post #203 of 369 Old 03-09-2012, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Whats the ETA in Ohio?

post #204 of 369 Old 03-09-2012, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Dinner time, I'm at the Somerset PA, service plaza. I stopped at the outlet mall in Hagerstown and picked up a refurbished Rigid job site radio for $80 at Tools Direct, normally $149. Now I'm on the hunt for frozen yogurt. may have to settle for an ice cream bar.

PROJECTS:

post #205 of 369 Old 03-09-2012, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Here we go again! Went to a football game once at Akron vs VaTech. Isn't the stadium called "The Rubber Bowl"?

post #206 of 369 Old 03-09-2012, 11:26 AM

Liked: 12
Hearing about BIG's road trips makes me want to see if he is interested in driving a couple more hours to the other side of Detroit.

Have fun guys!

Now Operational!

post #207 of 369 Old 03-09-2012, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post

Here we go again! Went to a football game once at Akron vs VaTech. Isn't the stadium called "The Rubber Bowl"?

Yep, The Rubber Bowl, although U of A has a brand new stadium they play at now (on campus). Not much going on at the old Bowl, except for the Soap Box Derby (which is right next to it).

Floyd

post #208 of 369 Old 03-09-2012, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Warrinton pa, clean rest room at McD. At least it was.

PROJECTS:

post #209 of 369 Old 03-09-2012, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:

Warrinton pa, clean rest room at McD. At least it was.

Hahahahahahaha!

A DIY high school project (now complete and being enjoyed everyday)

post #210 of 369 Old 03-09-2012, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

I'm in Ohio, grabbed some gas and bold coffee, almost something else, more on that later, north Lima, easy off easy on.

PROJECTS:

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page