VELVET CLOTH for screen side wall and front ceiling - Page 2 - AVS Forum
1  2
Dedicated Theater Design & Construction > VELVET CLOTH for screen side wall and front ceiling
Brad Horstkotte's Avatar Brad Horstkotte 04:54 PM 12-22-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Diffusers are probably a different story and if more diffusion was intended for the rear of the room if you use a fabric that is overly absorptive than you will start deadening the room too much and the surround sound may be affected.

True, I was only really thinking of absorbers, not diffusers. My intuition was similar to yours re: fabric absorbing the highs anyway, even if they didn't get through. Plus I had seen Ethan Winer's post on his site (http://www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html):

Quote:

Shiny fabrics having a tight weave should be avoided because they reflect higher frequencies. The standard test for acoustic fabric is to hold it to your mouth and try to blow air through it. If you can blow through it easily, it will pass sound into the fiberglass. Burlap and Muslin are two inexpensive options, but nearly any soft fabric will work and also keep the glass fibers safely in place

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockmonkey2000 View Post

However high frequencies are usually less of a problem and most treated rooms have plenty of high frequency absorption but not enough low frequency.

True, it would depend on what else is going in the room as far as absorption.

sukumar's Avatar sukumar 10:41 AM 12-23-2011
I got Fidelio velvet. For this phase, I intend to put over screen area and 1 feet over ceiling. I plan to staple it on the wall.

While doing it, I would like to know if it is it good to put anything behind it for better sound (foam or anything ). I guess absorption material should reduce the indirect sound for front speakers. Is it better to put any absorption or Fedlio cloth itself is good enough to absorb. Appreciate if you can share.

I plan to do over the holiday time.
BIGmouthinDC's Avatar BIGmouthinDC 11:10 AM 12-23-2011
All the acoustical treatment plans that I've seen address the front of theater room with absorption being added to the entire front sound stage. Behind the screen, speakers etc. Velvet alone is not much of an absorber. When I put black fabric over my screen on the ceiling I built a frame and included 2 inches of linacoustic.

Before you ask it is glued to the ceiling with Loctite instant grab construction adhesive.
sukumar's Avatar sukumar 03:28 PM 12-24-2011
Quote:

All the acoustical treatment plans that I've seen address the front of theater room with absorption being added to the entire front sound stage. Behind the screen, speakers etc. Velvet alone is not much of an absorber. When I put black fabric over my screen on the ceiling I built a frame and included 2 inches of linacoustic.

Before you ask it is glued to the ceiling with Loctite instant grab construction adhesive.

Thanks for sharing and taking time to show your home theater. I liked the design and it is so professional. What part name of linascoustic that you use? Looks like there is linaacoustic RC and R300? I don't know anything about accoustic treatments. Since you mentiond, velvet itself is not enough, I will wait for inside material before doing anything.

How expensive they are?

How good it is to use R15 or R30 insulation sheathing material listed here.

http://www.homedepot.com/Building-Ma...atalogId=10053

I intend to use this to cover windows first. I thought of using this for wall treatment also.

Appreciate all your help.
BIGmouthinDC's Avatar BIGmouthinDC 03:36 PM 12-24-2011
for a small project it doesn't make sense as the Linacoustic comes in a 4x100 ft roll.

I used Linacoustic RC

BIGmouthinDC's Avatar BIGmouthinDC 03:40 PM 12-24-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukumar View Post

How good it is to use R15 or R30 insulation sheathing material listed here.
http://www.homedepot.com/Building-Ma...atalogId=10053

solid foam insulation is worthless as an acoustical treatment, look for compressed fiberglass products. Owens Corning 703 is one such product that comes in 2x4 sheets.

It you are doing a lot of wall surfaces then the finding the Linacoustic from a commercial insulation dealer makes sense. You will not find products for acoustic treatments at Home Depot or other big boxes.
sukumar's Avatar sukumar 01:33 PM 12-26-2011
I have 20 yards fidelio velvet. I intend to use fedilio over the screen area wall and then use little less expensive cloth over the side walls.

I read in other threads people doing acoustic treatment over the screen wall (front speakers). Is there reason for screen wall important for acoustic treatment? I also plan to put front high speakers.

If I use linacoustic or owen's corning over screen area, is it enough?
I started project to just use velvet cloth to make room dark. While doing it, based on reading on forum, I am thinking to do little acoustic treatment.

I read conflicting report about dead (using treatment) vs live (not using acoustic treatments). Here is the my room. After taking the photo, I moved screen to the top just touching vaulted ceiling (3 inch up).

I will put fedlio and acoustic treatments
1. 1 feet on top of the screen where it transitions from 8 feet to 9 feet ceiling,
2. sides of the screen.
3. bottom of the screen

I am assuming that I can put absorption material complete over the screen wall. I read some where that, it is recommended to put half absorption material, half batt or some material. Not sure.

I will also put some panels wrapped in black cloth below the screen on carpet. Appreciate any suggestion.

manthatsnice's Avatar manthatsnice 01:27 PM 01-10-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by scl23enn4m3 View Post

My order of preference is: Fidelio velvet, Sy Fabrics Triple Black, Joanne's Premier Velvet

The last too are considerably cheaper than Fidelio. I personally use the Sy Fabrics one because it is damn black, and the cost of Fidelio is just not worth it in large quantities.

For acoustically transparent velvet:
I've personally used Joanne's stretch velvet, and it is more acoustically transparent than the acoustically transparent fabric I purchased from ATSAcoustics.com. It feels like spandex. I wanted to get the microvelvet that BIG suggested, but I don't have a Hancock's near me and didn't feel like paying shipping.

TL;DR:

Black Velvet:
1. Fidelio
2. Sy Fabrics Triple Black
3. Joanne's Premier

AT Velvet:
1. Microvelvet from Hancock's
2. Stretch Velvet from Joanne's

Is there a general consensus (or proof) that the microvelvet from Hancock's is AT? I'd like to use it in front of my mains.

Thanks,
Cory
HT_SoulMan's Avatar HT_SoulMan 10:52 AM 01-11-2012
Quote:

for a small project it doesn't make sense as the Linacoustic comes in a 4x100 ft roll.

I used Linacoustic RC

I have the same material. Capital Building Supply in vienna didn't have it so I grabbed a roll from R.E. Michel up on my end..
HT_SoulMan's Avatar HT_SoulMan 10:59 AM 01-11-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by manthatsnice View Post

Is there a general consensus (or proof) that the microvelvet from Hancock's is AT? I'd like to use it in front of my mains.

Thanks,
Cory

I've used the black stretch velvet from Joann's Fabric. Its the same as Hancock as well. I did the blow test and used my blackberry as light source and its AT properties are pretty good. I also checked the premier velvet but it wasn't in my budget..
sukumar's Avatar sukumar 03:27 PM 01-11-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by HT_SoulMan View Post

I've used the black stretch velvet from Joann's Fabric. Its the same as Hancock as well. I did the blow test and used my blackberry as light source and its AT properties are pretty good. I also checked the premier velvet but it wasn't in my budget..

I received Guilford of Maine from fabricmate and compared it with Fidelio, I feel Fidelio is more transparent to see things and blow the air.

I read GOM (assuming Guilford of Maine as same) as more AT material. May be I am missing some thing here.
manthatsnice's Avatar manthatsnice 10:49 AM 01-17-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by HT_SoulMan View Post

So stretch velvet, micro velvet, etc are definitely AT?

What does pretty good mean? I'd rather not buy some at $15/yd just to test and find out it won't work.

Info? Thoughts?

Thanks,
Cory
BIGmouthinDC's Avatar BIGmouthinDC 11:07 AM 01-17-2012
Buy a $15 yard and wrap it tight on a frame. Blindfold yourself and have some one randomly move the framed velvet in front of your speaker. The only thing 100% AT is nothing, you have to decide if what you use is acceptable.
Ian13's Avatar Ian13 04:33 AM 04-01-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukumar View Post

I received Guilford of Maine from fabricmate and compared it with Fidelio, I feel Fidelio is more transparent to see things and blow the air.

I read GOM (assuming Guilford of Maine as same) as more AT material. May be I am missing some thing here.

Hi sukumar

Did you ever find out if the Fidelio was acoustically transparent enough compared to GOM to be able to use it in front of your speakers?

regards

Ian
Silva741's Avatar Silva741 04:35 AM 04-23-2013
Don't want to start a thread, so I'll ask here... aren't these black velvet walls prone to get dirty very fast?
I never saw one in person but from looking at pics I absolutely LOVE the look of it, however I fear how it would look after some time.

Are they supposed to be cleaned with a vacuum cleaner? Very often?
My vacuum cleaner is extremely strong, I'm not sure if it wouldn't rip the fabric from the frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian13 View Post

Did you ever find out if the Fidelio was acoustically transparent enough compared to GOM to be able to use it in front of your speakers?
I also wonder about that.
BIGmouthinDC's Avatar BIGmouthinDC 05:13 AM 04-23-2013
lint brush

design1stcode2nd's Avatar design1stcode2nd 12:48 PM 04-23-2013
Mine has been up for 5 weeks and looks the same to me. I'll let you know in a few months.
W00lly's Avatar W00lly 09:32 PM 04-23-2013
Mines been up for almost 4 years and still looks like it did the day I put it up. I just use a lint glove now and then similar to what Big suggested.
eyekode's Avatar eyekode 07:44 PM 04-24-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

triple velvet from syfabrics.com comes highly recommended (Mississippi Man for example, who has done a lot of builds with a lot of different fabrics/velvets) - I bought it, but haven't installed it yet.

I used this stuff to frame my projection screen. It works great. I zoom out a hair and the light just disappears when it hits the frame. Great stuff. Reasonable cost. Fast shipping.
Ebase131's Avatar Ebase131 04:27 PM 07-27-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyekode View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte 

triple velvet from syfabrics.com comes highly recommended (Mississippi Man for example, who has done a lot of builds with a lot of different fabrics/velvets) - I bought it, but haven't installed it yet.

I used this stuff to frame my projection screen. It works great. I zoom out a hair and the light just disappears when it hits the frame. Great stuff. Reasonable cost. Fast shipping.
Can anyone comment on if the Fidelio is worth the extra price compared to this Sy Fabrics triple velvet? I am struggling on pulling the trigger on one vs. the other based on price and quality difference. Obviously the Fidelio is very expensive but if it's NOTICEABLY better than the Sy Fabrics then maybe I will use Fidelio for the screen wall and then Sy Fabrics for the side walls for pricing.
BIGmouthinDC's Avatar BIGmouthinDC 06:51 PM 07-27-2014
I have used both and F is not worth the extra $ unless you are looking for some degree of accoustical transparancy and Triple Velvet is not as transparent.

Check back with me next week as I have been ordering samples from various online sources.

Also FYI, Joannes often has a 50% off one item coupons and I will pop into the store to see what velvets they have in stock, It does change and sometimes they have something that I really like at a good price, last week they did not.
DevonDeyholos's Avatar DevonDeyholos 02:01 PM 08-29-2014
I'm up here in Canada and we don't have a Joannes, rather a store called Fabric Land. I'm sure very similar to Joannes though. I'm building a screen wall and have been looking for good velvet. They had two types in the store. A high pile/crushed velvet and this low pile silk velvet. I didn’t get to check out the tag on the crushed velvet but the low pile I was able to grab some info off of it. I came home and googled the serial number and came up with this.

http://rose-e-dee.com/catalogue/fash...ilkvelvet.html

I see that it is 20%silk and 80% rayon. WTF is rayon? I just used my phones flashlight in the store but when I shone it on the velvet it almost looked like a it had a glossy sheen to it which made me think it won’t work well for light absorption.

The crushed velvet on the other hand seemed like it wouldn’t create a very smooth/flat surface and would all have to be brushed in one direction to look uniform.

Does anyone remember or know the material's in their velvets? What should I be looking for? This stuff was supposed to the high end ($54 yard).
1  2

Up
Mobile  Desktop