VELVET CLOTH for screen side wall and front ceiling - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #61 of 90 Old 09-26-2016, 07:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
looks like a birds eye view of the corner. stone floor and baseboards, the wall looks more like a plaster on concrete.

Lets review your options

1) glue fabric to the uneven wall
2) attach fabric to some kind of flexible panel backing and attach the panel to the wall. Might be easier to use several slim panels rather than one big one.
3) attach the fabric to rigid 8-10 inch wide panels and arrange them in the corner approximating the curve.
4) hang the fabric like draperies in curve
5) have draperies made for the curve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renron View Post
Thanks Jeff,
Usually I can visualize things pretty well , experience as a contractor. This one puzzled me, it did a 3D flip and I just couldn't see it until you pointed out the baseboard. Got it.
I have seen a similar case where a custom curtain rod was bent to the corner radius and suspended from the ceiling. Many ways to attach the fabric to the rod. All of your suggestions are also logical.
I enjoy these threads and quite often learn / see things from a different angle. No pun intended.
Ron
thanks jeff for your suggestions
i feel like gluing the fabric would be the best option for me, but im not sure how. I found out that liquid starch migh be an option but im not sure.
the panels might be my second choice. not too sure about to draping because theres a split ac in the room and im afraid that it might move the draping from side to side while on. I will probably be doing this myself, and im looking for the least number of elements needed as well as the most professional looking.

@Renron , i forgot to send the second pic showing exactly what i was taking a picture of. But, i guess you learned something from it .

suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 90 Old 09-26-2016, 07:42 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I was considering using the thinnest MDF I can and wrapping that in velvet for my side walls and ceiling. I'm wondering if it would be better to build frames, fill them with OC703 and the wrap them in velvet. Would that be worthless since the velvet isn't acoustically transparent? I remember reading where someone said it didn't matter, but I can't seem to find the post, nor do I know if it's true.

I was thinking of gluing the velvet to the wall, but I'm guessing it would be better to have something that helps with sound absorption if possible. It appears as though gluing is the easiest, but does the most damage if it ever needs to be removed. I'm guessing the question is if it would ever need to be removed? I suspect that if I wanted to do something different to the walls and ceiling, the velvet could just be covered up?
post #63 of 90 Old 09-26-2016, 10:46 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3415 Post(s)
Liked: 2877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderturbo007 View Post
Would that be worthless since the velvet isn't acoustically transparent?
If velvet isn't acoustically transparent we could soundproof rooms by hanging it on the walls. It does exact a toll on the sound passing through but it does pass some sound. You wouldn't want it in front of speakers. All velvets are not created equal, Triple Velvet from Syfabrics IMHO is the worst as you can't breathe through it. But it is cheap if you have lots of walls to cover. There are velvets acoustically transparent enough to be used for screen masking and placed in front of speakers.

post #64 of 90 Old 10-04-2016, 05:04 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello,

I am a litte bit overstrained in choosing the right cloth for my purpose.
I would like to use black velvet for curtains on the side walls and the ceiling to blacken out my home cinema room.
The curtains will not overlap any speakers - only absorbers.
So to sum it up I need a fabric which I can use for curtains to darken the room when watching a movie and which is not influencing the acoustic, i.e. deadening the high tones too much.
Which cloth do you recommend for that?
I read about the fidelio in this thread. Do you know a seller which is also shipping to germany?

Thanks and best regards,

justkidding
post #65 of 90 Old 10-27-2016, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked: 718
I stumbled upon this thread when doing some researching on how to cover my walls with velvet.

My screen wall is covered by a very black velvet and looks great.

I have decided I want to have all my walls matching and create a clean look with velvet. My plan is to attach the velvet to a board at the top of the ceiling and create a "wall of curtains". What I didn't take into account is how it would effect my current room treatments, which are all absorber panels. I am planning on adding some diffusers, so that has me worried on what to do.

Originally I was going to buy a bunch of velvet curtains and hang them. Then a fellow forum member advised me that those would be too thick, so I started looking at bulk velvet material. Today I stopped into Joanns and picked up a sample of a stretch velvet that was on sale. I also had some leftover scrap material from the screen wall, so I hung both to compare. The material from screen wall is as black as night...

I have attached a few pictures to show the differences. The only thing is, the velvet that matches my screen wall is almost twice the price as the other. Since I need approximately 50 yards to finish the project, that is a huge difference.

After reading through the thread, I found the Sy Fabric triple velvet. It looks almost identical to the stuff I have on my screen wall from Joann's.

I am looking for a little guidance/opinions from those that have more experience with this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized952016102795131750.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	1738945   Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized952016102795135328.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	1738953   Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized952016102795135347.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	1738961  
post #66 of 90 Old 10-31-2016, 05:27 AM

I might be able to help a little as I'm just getting started on wall treatments. I picked up 20 yards of the JoAnn Royal 3 Velvet for about $10/yard, so it wasn't terrible. I'm planning on doing the walls and ceilings from the screen wall to the first column. The plan is to build the fabric frames on the wall using 1" x 1.75" furring strips I ripped from a piece of 1" plywood. I can then stretch the fabric over the frames and hide the staples at the top and bottom with crown and base molding.

You might be able to do something like that and then sit your treatments on top of the fabric. You would just need to know where they go so you could put in a nailer. I'm going to try something similar to hand my movie poster treatments on top of the fabric wall.

Not sure if that helps or not...

Last edited by Spyderturbo007; 10-31-2016 at 05:53 AM.
post #67 of 90 Old 10-31-2016, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I might be able to help a little as I'm just getting started on wall treatments. I picked up 20 yards of the JoAnn Royal 3 Velvet for about $10/yard, so it wasn't terrible. I'm planning on doing the walls and ceilings from the screen wall to the first column. The plan is to build the fabric frames on the wall using 1" x 1.75" furring strips I ripped from a piece of 1" plywood. I can then stretch the fabric over the frames and hide the staples at the top and bottom with crown and base molding.

You might be able to do something like that and then sit your treatments on top of the fabric. You would just need to know where they go so you could put in a nailer. I'm going to try something similar to hand my movie poster treatments on top of the fabric wall.

Not sure if that helps or not...
Appreciate the information. By any chance do you have the style number on the velvet from JoAnn or a picture of it?

Thanks.
post #68 of 90 Old 10-31-2016, 05:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 15
JoAnn's

Got a flyer this weekend with coupons for JoAnn's.
40% off 10/30 - 11/5
50% off 10/30 - 11/2

Both good in store and online.
Includes one cut of by-the-yard fabric.

Paul
post #69 of 90 Old 11-01-2016, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post
Appreciate the information. By any chance do you have the style number on the velvet from JoAnn or a picture of it?

Thanks.
Here is what I purchased.

http://www.joann.com/royalty-3-velve...Velvet&start=1

I would recommend signing up for their mailing list. They send out coupons every morning for between 40 - 60% off. They honor them for one cut of an item. When I bought my 20 yards, even though it comes in 10 yard bolts, they considered the entire 20 yards one item for the coupon.
arcticbowman likes this.
post #70 of 90 Old 11-04-2016, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I found black velvet at my local store here in Canada (for covering walls via velvet curtain) but it is a tad shinny. Would this in anyway be a problem for light reflection?
post #71 of 90 Old 11-04-2016, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Here is what I purchased.

http://www.joann.com/royalty-3-velve...Velvet&start=1

I would recommend signing up for their mailing list. They send out coupons every morning for between 40 - 60% off. They honor them for one cut of an item. When I bought my 20 yards, even though it comes in 10 yard bolts, they considered the entire 20 yards one item for the coupon.
Thank you!

A fellow AVS'er let me come by his place and see his room earlier this week. He used the same velvet in the link and it looked great. Then he gave me some samples to try out and it will work perfectly for what I want to do. I am still waiting on a sample from SyFabrics since there product is priced much lower without having to get a coupon....but if it isn't as nice as what JoAnn's has, I will get this stuff.

Thanks.
post #72 of 90 Old 11-07-2016, 05:24 AM

Has anyone had any experience building frames and putting velvet on the ceiling? Does it sag after time?

My screen wall is under a soffit, giving me about 8" above the screen and about 12" below the screen. My plan was to wrap the side walls and ceiling in black velvet so I didn't have to worry about reflections from the screen. I can figure out how to do the walls and can build panels for the ceiling, but I was concerned about sag.
post #73 of 90 Old 11-07-2016, 07:11 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

I have a big black GOM FR701 panel on the ceiling over my screen it hasn't sagged in 10 years, I suggest you pick one of the stretch velvets and start by making it taut.

This was the beast of a fabric frame I put on my ceiling. I stuffed all the sections with Linacoustic. It is fixed in place with two screws along the back edge and liquid nails.

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 11-07-2016 at 07:17 AM.
post #74 of 90 Old 11-09-2016, 10:05 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hello all,
I tried the premier velvet from joanns as someone in the thread suggested. I went with a 2 yard sample. I wanted to use it on the screenwall.
so I just want to make sure I understand it its purpose. this fabric main goal is to absorb light.
I put it over my screen in an attempt just to see how much light it reflects or absorbs. I was under the impression I would see nothing no picture.. I could still see the projected image it was just dark. Is this velvet supposed to completely block out the picture from showing. Or the main reason is for like masking so that the black bars in movies
look real dark and to help light reflections across the room (ambient light)?

projector is an Epson 6020ub
runco anamorphic lens
138 in curved silver ticket screen 2:35.1
21 ft throw distance to screen.
post #75 of 90 Old 11-10-2016, 03:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigwhyritos View Post
Hello all,
I tried the premier velvet from joanns as someone in the thread suggested. I went with a 2 yard sample. I wanted to use it on the screenwall.
so I just want to make sure I understand it its purpose. this fabric main goal is to absorb light.
I put it over my screen in an attempt just to see how much light it reflects or absorbs. I was under the impression I would see nothing no picture.. I could still see the projected image it was just dark. Is this velvet supposed to completely block out the picture from showing. Or the main reason is for like masking so that the black bars in movies
look real dark and to help light reflections across the room (ambient light)?

projector is an Epson 6020ub
runco anamorphic lens
138 in curved silver ticket screen 2:35.1
21 ft throw distance to screen.
Hey - I don't know of any fabric that will absorb 100% light, so yes if you have the main picture on the fabric (very bright scenes) you will see it (although not very well). Yes it will "absorb" the black bars and you won't see them, and reflections will be much, much, less than a painted black wall or plain wall, or any other color wall or fabric. It helps absorb ambient light as well. The biggest gain is perceived contrast of the picture.
post #76 of 90 Old 11-21-2016, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I received my swatches from SYFabrics today for the Black Plush Triple Velvet.

When I compared it to the Royalty 3 Velvet from Jo-Ann's, it looks like it could be the same thing..

This is good because the cost of the velvet from SYFabrics is significantly lower than Jo-Ann's...and I don't have to hunt it or the coupons down.

I'm going to have my wife look at it and see if she thinks the same thing....then order accordingly.

EDIT: JoAnn's appears to have there Royalty 3 on sale for $9.99 per yard with another 30% off, but it isn't available online and the stock is limited in the stores..

Last edited by COACH2369; 11-21-2016 at 02:24 PM.
post #77 of 90 Old 01-12-2017, 03:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
I have used both and F is not worth the extra $ unless you are looking for some degree of accoustical transparancy and Triple Velvet is not as transparent.

Check back with me next week as I have been ordering samples from various online sources.

Also FYI, Joannes often has a 50% off one item coupons and I will pop into the store to see what velvets they have in stock, It does change and sometimes they have something that I really like at a good price, last week they did not.
I know that it has been more than a week but what is your current thinking regarding Fidelio/Syfabric/Triple Velvet cost no object vs value?
post #78 of 90 Old 01-29-2017, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have been placing Joann's Premiere Velvet on the front wall of my home theater and it's been great. Absolutely pitch black. I added some extra "flair" by artificially creating vertical 2 inch folds every 5 inches of material. Tough to see in the picture, of course, because of how light-absorbent the material is.

Pardon the mess, btw. It's still a work in progress. I took my fixed frame screen down, too, so I could run the fabric slightly behind it before re-mounting.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0364.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	1929585  
OJ Bartley likes this.
post #79 of 90 Old 02-07-2017, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow, those folds came out looking really nice!

I'm considering picking up some Premier Velvet from Joanne Fabrics, but I'm still not sure if it's going to be absorbent enough for my needs.

I have 124" 2.39:1 AT Spandex screen that's 114" wide. I'm doing a constant image height setup with a 48" tall screen. Most of my sources are set up such that they will automatically adjust 16:9 content down to the right height, but my Blu-Ray player will not. Now I can manually zoom the projector out (digitally, not optically, no motorized lens) but I would also like to be able to just project the 16:9 image and absorb the 8" above and below of extra image content.

My room is well light controlled with black felt on the ceiling and side walls for 2 feet or so. The sides of the screen are matte black milliskin AT spandex.

I guess the question is whether ANY velvet will be enough to absorb like I'm hoping for. I suppose that dictates: "Get the Fidelio", but I'll need about 3 yards and that $30/yd price tag hurts when I'm just buying fabric. Haha.

I could get a Harmony Hub for that price.
post #80 of 90 Old 04-10-2017, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
I have a big black GOM FR701 panel on the ceiling over my screen it hasn't sagged in 10 years, I suggest you pick one of the stretch velvets and start by making it taut.

This was the beast of a fabric frame I put on my ceiling. I stuffed all the sections with Linacoustic. It is fixed in place with two screws along the back edge and liquid nails.

Jeff- Could you send me a design drawing of your frame? It is exactly the solution I have been searching for to attach black velvet to my ceiling. I may even make a matching stage for the floor.

Current Equipment: Datasat LS10 w/ Atmos and DIRAC. Datasat RA7300, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), Aerial Acoustics LR3's (sides), RBH in-walls (rears), Seaton Submersive, Marantz VP15s1, 106" Carada BW screen, Oppo BDP-103.
post #81 of 90 Old 04-10-2017, 09:25 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

I drew it full size on the floor with a piece of string and now it's under the carpet. I do most of my design work in my head. You can actually make out the curve I drew under the saw horses in that one picture.

all you really need is this formula, it is an online calculator that calculates the radius given the height and width of the curved segment.

https://www.vcalc.com/wiki/vCalc/Cir...and+arc+height

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 04-10-2017 at 09:34 PM.
post #82 of 90 Old 04-10-2017, 09:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
I drew it full size on the floor with a piece of string and now it's under the carpet. I do most of my design work in my head. You can actually make out the curve I drew under the saw horses in that one picture.

all you really need is this formula, it is an online calculator that calculates the radius given the height and width of the curved segment.

https://www.vcalc.com/wiki/vCalc/Cir...and+arc+height
Thanks much Jeff. I have been thinking out my plans for quite some time; now, thanks to you I have found a perfect design/solution!

Current Equipment: Datasat LS10 w/ Atmos and DIRAC. Datasat RA7300, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), Aerial Acoustics LR3's (sides), RBH in-walls (rears), Seaton Submersive, Marantz VP15s1, 106" Carada BW screen, Oppo BDP-103.
post #83 of 90 Old 04-12-2017, 09:10 AM

I guess I never updated this with what I ended up doing. I decided to do the screen wall, ceiling and side walls under my soffit in black velvet and Linacoustic. We built frames, wrapped them in velvet and filled the frame with Linacoustic.

I experimented with using speaker grill posts to attach them to the wall and ceiling, but after much contemplation, decided to secure them with 2.5" brad nails. There were very few places where I actually had to go through the face of the panel. In almost all cases, I could fire the nail in at an angle on the side of the panel and it would be hidden when the next panel went up. Where I couldn't do that, you can't even see the nail hole unless you know where it's at.

The speaker grill posts worked, but it took a good bit of extra time and I could never really think of a reason why I would want to take them down. Besides, it's not hard to yank a few 2.5" brad nails out of drywall if it comes down to it.

Under the soffit is a black hole for light and looks phenomenal. There is just a tiny bit of reflection from the outlet covers and the columns. I will warn you though, once you start doing the walls in velvet, you might not want to stop. I seriously considering doing more of the room....

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Velvet 2.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	2080545   Click image for larger version

Name:	Velvet 4.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	2080553   Click image for larger version

Name:	Velvet 5.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	2080561   Click image for larger version

Name:	Velvet 9.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	2080569   Click image for larger version

Name:	Velvet 12.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	2080577  

Name:	IMG122516123358.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	2080585  
OJ Bartley likes this.

Last edited by Spyderturbo007; 04-12-2017 at 09:13 AM.
post #84 of 90 Old 04-12-2017, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Looks great! I just picked up 8 yards of the Royalty 3 Velvet from JoAnn's last night. We will hopefully be finishing the screen wall this weekend. I plan to wrap the top and sides, as well as the base of the front sound stage. After seeing your pictures, I may end up doing more.

Great choice of colors too!

Jerry
Fairbanks, Alaska
DIY In Progress Home Theater Build: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...tic-build.html
Star Ceiling Build: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...am-boards.html
post #85 of 90 Old 04-13-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticbowman View Post
Looks great! I just picked up 8 yards of the Royalty 3 Velvet from JoAnn's last night. We will hopefully be finishing the screen wall this weekend. I plan to wrap the top and sides, as well as the base of the front sound stage. After seeing your pictures, I may end up doing more.
It's amazing at how much light is absorbed. My flat black paint looks 100x more reflective than the velvet. Once you start, you might not stop.

Quote:
Great choice of colors too!
Thanks! I like your style too.
post #86 of 90 Old Yesterday, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Another vote for Fidelio.
post #87 of 90 Old Yesterday, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 55
The fidelio is very nice. I just put together my seymour screen and they used fidelio for the border. Much nicer than the Royalty 3 in my opinion. That being said, the Royalty 3 is available in my area, and I've already started with it, so I plan to keep using it for a few more areas.

Quick question, are you guys using a spray adhesive like Super 77 on the velvet when applying it to large, flat areas? The Royalty 3 was a Royal pain to keep it from having small kinks develop when we were trying to smooth it out over larger surfaces.

Jerry
Fairbanks, Alaska
DIY In Progress Home Theater Build: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...tic-build.html
Star Ceiling Build: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...am-boards.html
post #88 of 90 Old Today, 05:25 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked: 891
Quote:
The fidelio is very nice. I just put together my seymour screen and they used fidelio for the border. Much nicer than the Royalty 3 in my opinion. That being said, the Royalty 3 is available in my area, and I've already started with it, so I plan to keep using it for a few more areas.

Quick question, are you guys using a spray adhesive like Super 77 on the velvet when applying it to large, flat areas? The Royalty 3 was a Royal pain to keep it from having small kinks develop when we were trying to smooth it out over larger surfaces.
I know there are ppl that do use spray adhesive, but it appears it's a two person job for a good result. There are variations of "velvet," one being commando cloth. I would describe it as similar to velvet, but with less sheen and a denser material.

I limited my use of commando cloth to the ceiling only. I used underlayment boards (they are pretty light) wrapped in the commando cloth. Because the commando cloth was thicker, I was able to use the spray when attaching the cloth to underlayment board.

The problem (for me) with the commando cloth was it didn't look as nice when mounted around the projector screen's velvet border....you could see the difference between the two products. Using it on the ceiling, you can't tell the difference. Where the commando cloth meets the velvet at the adjoining screen wall and ceiling, the shadows cast prevent anyone for seeing I am using different material. You'd have to shine a bright light pointed where the two materials meet to see the difference.

Ron

Retired Moderator

FS: APC J10 Home Theater Conditioner/UPS back up $100: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/211-ac...y-back-up.html

Last edited by rboster; Today at 05:31 AM. Reason: typo
post #89 of 90 Old Today, 06:01 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

I've never used spray adhesive to attach fabric. Just the stretch and staple approach.
rboster likes this.
post #90 of 90 Old Today, 07:17 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked: 891
Quote:
I've never used spray adhesive to attach fabric. Just the stretch and staple approach.
I just got done making new panels for my screen wall using velvet. I attached the velvet by stretching and stapling to the back of the homemade frames.

Retired Moderator

FS: APC J10 Home Theater Conditioner/UPS back up $100: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/211-ac...y-back-up.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction