VELVET CLOTH for screen side wall and front ceiling - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 16Likes

post #1 of 90 Old 12-07-2011, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Could you please share good velvet cloth for home theater ceiling and screen side wall that anybody used recently. Appreciate to provide any local stores or online stores.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 90 Old 12-07-2011, 10:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I could suggest Ebay. You will also likely get the best price.
post #3 of 90 Old 12-07-2011, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockjock75 View Post

I could suggest Ebay. You will also likely get the best price.

Thanks for quick reply. Can you share any good brand name.

post #4 of 90 Old 12-07-2011, 11:42 PM

I really can't share any names that I know about. I was looking on EBay a couple of months ago and found a supplier out of India. There prices were pretty good not to mention most of the velvet we get comes from India. They also had varying widths and I believe it is actually velvet tape that is used for screens. Once I get to the stage in my home theatre build where I need to build the screen I will probably look them up.
post #5 of 90 Old 12-08-2011, 03:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Not sure of the "brand" but I used the premier velvet from JoAnn fabric for my screen wall. Somewhat expensive msrp but JoAnns has 40 - 50% off coupons all the time.
http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/p...DID=xprd540653

I believe others, like BigMouthinDC used micro velvet from Hancock fabrics.
post #6 of 90 Old 12-08-2011, 04:04 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 238 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3655 Post(s)
Liked: 3107
Yes the last time I did my screen wall I used Hancock Micro Velvet. In store they honor competitors coupons so I took in a Joanne's coupon for 50% of any one item. It does go on sale on-line every so often.
post #7 of 90 Old 12-08-2011, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 69
triple velvet from syfabrics.com comes highly recommended (Mississippi Man for example, who has done a lot of builds with a lot of different fabrics/velvets) - I bought it, but haven't installed it yet.
post #8 of 90 Old 12-09-2011, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for replies. I am evaluating. I went to Joan store. They have premier velvet. They also have fake velvet. Did anybody evaluate fake velvet? It is on sale for $4.5 per yard. I found that "Fidelio Velvet by JB Martin" is recommended by many people. Do you think if there is any difference between this and the one recommended in this thread? What is special about Fidelio?

Also, Anybody has any tips on how to fix on to the wall and ceiling? I read some lathe strips or something to use.

Velvet is shiny. I am assuming, it does not reflect light.

Thanks for your time.
post #9 of 90 Old 12-09-2011, 06:20 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2052 Post(s)
Liked: 1755
I did my whole wall around my screen in black velvet, including sliding side masking panels in velvet. I also covered a mini "stage" area in front of my screen with black velvet, and finally I covered all my speakers with black velvet. I wanted as dark as possible so everything completely disappeared to the eye. (You can see the results if you click the first link below my name).

After trying various velvets from my local fabric outlets I ordered some Fidelio black velvet to compare. The Fidelio was significantly darker than any other velvet. It's weird because it has a bit of a sheen when the light strikes it right, yet it's astoundingly dark and light absorbent in actual use.

I have a Carada masquerade screen frame and they use their "black hole" material that is super light absorbent. I found some very, very similar black flocking material made especially to absorb stray light and used to line inside telescopes. And to my amazement the Fidelio is obviously darker than even THAT material.

The other plus for Fidelio is that it is a luxurious looking velvet. High quality. You have to be careful because velvet can either add a touch of luxury to a room, or if it's cheap it can cheapen the feel of the room. The Fidelio elevates the luxury of my room.

The only downside is it is more expensive than other velvets.

But...ya get wot yer pays fer...
post #10 of 90 Old 12-09-2011, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 153
I went with the premier velvet from JoAnns because of the overall feel, texture, and it was darker than the others they had. In terms of reflectivity, that stuff really absorbs the light and I have no issues with reflection. If anything I have problems getting good photos because the screen wall and carpet eat up the light.

Makes for an amazing picture on the screen
ellisr63 likes this.
post #11 of 90 Old 12-09-2011, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

I did my whole wall around my screen in black velvet, including sliding side masking panels in velvet. I also covered a mini "stage" area in front of my screen with black velvet, and finally I covered all my speakers with black velvet. I wanted as dark as possible so everything completely disappeared to the eye. (You can see the results if you click the first link below my name).

After trying various velvets from my local fabric outlets I ordered some Fidelio black velvet to compare. The Fidelio was significantly darker than any other velvet. It's weird because it has a bit of a sheen when the light strikes it right, yet it's astoundingly dark and light absorbent in actual use.

I have a Carada masquerade screen frame and they use their "black hole" material that is super light absorbent. I found some very, very similar black flocking material made especially to absorb stray light and used to line inside telescopes. And to my amazement the Fidelio is obviously darker than even THAT material.

The other plus for Fidelio is that it is a luxurious looking velvet. High quality. You have to be careful because velvet can either add a touch of luxury to a room, or if it's cheap it can cheapen the feel of the room. The Fidelio elevates the luxury of my room.

Rich,
Thanks for detailed message. I have seen you theater before. It is really excellent. Did you put velvet cloth just over screen wall?

I have 3 inch space between top of the screen and ceiling. I am planning to move the screen up to just touch bottom line of vaulted ceiling.
I am thinking to place velvet cloth over the screen wall and 1 feet portion of vaulted ceiling. Does it help to darken to look good? I also might go for fidelio , little expensive to pay $30/yard

Here is my room.
post #12 of 90 Old 12-09-2011, 08:58 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2052 Post(s)
Liked: 1755
sukumar,

I used the black fidelio velvet only for the areas I mentioned (screen wall, floor in front of screen etc). However, I also use dark brown velvet curtains to the side of my screen. Those curtains pull out along the side walls to cut reflection from the side wall.
My ceiling was also done in a dark brown felt to cut reflections.

It all works really well.

Looking at your room, if you still find your black paint too reflective, it would be good to
use black fidelio velvet for the side walls near the screen - maybe between 3 to 6 feet along the side walls (depending on your room). The easiest and the nicest looking way to do this is simply put up some curtain rods on the side walls near the screen. Hanging black velvet curtains can look nice, and cut reflections, and if you want when watching a movie you can pull them further out along the walls to create even more of a "black box" around your image. The more visible information you remove around the image, the more immersive and cinematic the experience.

You could also do like I did and make a sort of "stage area" in front of your screen with the black velvet to cut any floor reflections. You can just use flat boards running the length of your floor underneath your screen, and maybe 24" to 36" wide, wrap them in the black velvet. I think you'll find as I did that not only does this cut any reflections from the floor, and make the area beneath the screen "disappear" during movies, but it also adds a sort of cohesive design element. In many set ups, like yours right now and mine when I began, it looks a bit thrown together: a big screen, and speakers placed on the floor around the screen. But when you do something like create a "theme" of black around the image, and extend that out to the floor area somewhat, the speakers can sit on that black stage area. Then everything looks much more deliberate, designed, neat, tidy and professional instead of "guy who bought some equipment and threw it all together."

And it not only makes the theater look better with the lights on, it makes for a more pure looking viewing experience with the lights off watching movies.

Just some ideas....

If you are interested, you can click the second link below my name to see my construction process.

One more thing: You could also put black velvet on a portion of your ceiling to cut reflections. That will definitely improve things even more.
The only thing I'd mention is that, strictly speaking, it's hard to find any typical velvet that is safety-rated for use on ceilings, in terms of fire ratings. This is not a subject I ever see people discussing here. When people want black velvet on their ceiling, they just buy some and put it up.
But I had pot lights etc in my ceiling and I knew I was employing lots of fabrics, so I wanted peace of mind, hence I made sure everything was rated for how I used it. FWIW...
post #13 of 90 Old 12-12-2011, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

sukumar,

I used the black fidelio velvet only for the areas I mentioned (screen wall, floor in front of screen etc). However, I also use dark brown velvet curtains to the side of my screen. Those curtains pull out along the side walls to cut reflection from the side wall.
My ceiling was also done in a dark brown felt to cut reflections.

It all works really well.

Looking at your room, if you still find your black paint too reflective, it would be good to
use black fidelio velvet for the side walls near the screen - maybe between 3 to 6 feet along the side walls (depending on your room). The easiest and the nicest looking way to do this is simply put up some curtain rods on the side walls near the screen. Hanging black velvet curtains can look nice, and cut reflections, and if you want when watching a movie you can pull them further out along the walls to create even more of a "black box" around your image. The more visible information you remove around the image, the more immersive and cinematic the experience.

You could also do like I did and make a sort of "stage area" in front of your screen with the black velvet to cut any floor reflections. You can just use flat boards running the length of your floor underneath your screen, and maybe 24" to 36" wide, wrap them in the black velvet. I think you'll find as I did that not only does this cut any reflections from the floor, and make the area beneath the screen "disappear" during movies, but it also adds a sort of cohesive design element. In many set ups, like yours right now and mine when I began, it looks a bit thrown together: a big screen, and speakers placed on the floor around the screen. But when you do something like create a "theme" of black around the image, and extend that out to the floor area somewhat, the speakers can sit on that black stage area. Then everything looks much more deliberate, designed, neat, tidy and professional instead of "guy who bought some equipment and threw it all together."

And it not only makes the theater look better with the lights on, it makes for a more pure looking viewing experience with the lights off watching movies.

Just some ideas....

If you are interested, you can click the second link below my name to see my construction process.

One more thing: You could also put black velvet on a portion of your ceiling to cut reflections. That will definitely improve things even more.
The only thing I'd mention is that, strictly speaking, it's hard to find any typical velvet that is safety-rated for use on ceilings, in terms of fire ratings. This is not a subject I ever see people discussing here. When people want black velvet on their ceiling, they just buy some and put it up.
But I had pot lights etc in my ceiling and I knew I was employing lots of fabrics, so I wanted peace of mind, hence I made sure everything was rated for how I used it. FWIW...

Rich,
Thanks for detailed reply. I will also try to use fedelio velvet. Where did you buy this? I found one online store having this for little expensive.

When I look at your screen, it looks like there are no distractions other than picture. Hopefully, one day I can achieve the same.

Do you know if fedelio velvet is rated for fire? If not appreciate any recommendation.

Also how did you fix the cloth to the wall? Is is easy job or needs any service?

My carpet is light color. I wonder if I should give priority to the carpet or to walls and ceiling. I did use LRV 4 dark color blue as painting. I am not sure if carpet is the cause for the light reflections.

Thanks again for all the tips.
post #14 of 90 Old 12-12-2011, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

triple velvet from syfabrics.com comes highly recommended (Mississippi Man for example, who has done a lot of builds with a lot of different fabrics/velvets) - I bought it, but haven't installed it yet.

Its blacker than night
post #15 of 90 Old 12-13-2011, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by filetandrelease View Post

Its blacker than night

Thanks. Is it real velvet? I heard, you can manufactrue velvet from something different.
post #16 of 90 Old 12-13-2011, 12:58 PM

That carpet is probably your reflective issue. I would take a large throw rug and put it down temporarily to see what happens. I have been looking at velvet as well and found some on Amazon for very cheap. Only problem is, you can see / feel it or compare it's color to other things.
post #17 of 90 Old 12-13-2011, 04:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Rich, you said you covered your speakers with velvet. Any sound issues? I have some black velvet that I got from Hancock fabric (dress velvet) and the blow test didn't work very well.
post #18 of 90 Old 12-15-2011, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The consensus from many of threads is pointing to Fidelio velvet. I am sure it is good one, but only reason to research others is for affordability.

I read that Fidelio has 0.3% reflectivity. My paint has LRV 4. I am assuming LRV 4 means it reflects 4% of light.

How do I measure reflectivity? I have meter to measure lux. I prefer to buy from Joann or Hancock store since they have good discount if their cloth is close to Fidelio. Otherwise, I will extend my budget to go for Fidelio. But I want to research first.
Appreciate for advise on how do I measure reflectivity?
post #19 of 90 Old 12-15-2011, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:

Rich,

How is the acoustic transparency of the Fidelio velvet? Is it suitable for covering a false wall with an AT screen?

I was thinking of using the Hancock Fabrics velvet that BigMouth speaks of but I am curious about the Fidelio!

...Glenn
post #20 of 90 Old 12-15-2011, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Yes the last time I did my screen wall I used Hancock Micro Velvet. In store they honor competitors coupons so I took in a Joanne's coupon for 50% of any one item. It does go on sale on-line every so often.

Bigmouth,

Do you have any knowledge or experience with the Fidelio fabric's suitability as a covering for a false wall with an AT screen?

I was thinking of possibly going with the Hancock Fabrics Micro Velvet that you used!

Can you provide some additional insight, subjective experiences and tips for using the Hancock Fabrics velvet for covering an AT screen false wall?

Thanks!

...Glenn
post #21 of 90 Old 12-15-2011, 09:08 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Some discussion here, I only have my subs behind the velvet,

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post19369977

On tips for working with any fabric or DIY screen IMHO the only way to go is the Porter Cable upholstery stapler.
post #22 of 90 Old 12-15-2011, 09:14 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

It is a sad day indeed. I just checked and the black micro velvet has been discontinued on the on-line store, you may want to check your local brick and mortar store for stock on hand.
post #23 of 90 Old 12-15-2011, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I used Fidelio for the framing around my screen, and despite the cost, it's amazingly dark. I can't even take a flash photo of it! You can see the results here:

One tip: to cut it in strips, if needed, you can just start the cut with scissors, then rip it straight. It really works, though I was a bit skeptical at first.

My theater, the AD ASTRA:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1377460
post #24 of 90 Old 12-15-2011, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukumar View Post

The consensus from many of threads is pointing to Fidelio velvet. I am sure it is good one, but only reason to research others is for affordability.

I read that Fidelio has 0.3% reflectivity. My paint has LRV 4. I am assuming LRV 4 means it reflects 4% of light.

How do I measure reflectivity? I have meter to measure lux. I prefer to buy from Joann or Hancock store since they have good discount if their cloth is close to Fidelio. Otherwise, I will extend my budget to go for Fidelio. But I want to research first.
Appreciate for advise on how do I measure reflectivity?

My order of preference is: Fidelio velvet, Sy Fabrics Triple Black, Joanne's Premier Velvet

The last too are considerably cheaper than Fidelio. I personally use the Sy Fabrics one because it is damn black, and the cost of Fidelio is just not worth it in large quantities.

For acoustically transparent velvet:
I've personally used Joanne's stretch velvet, and it is more acoustically transparent than the acoustically transparent fabric I purchased from ATSAcoustics.com. It feels like spandex. I wanted to get the microvelvet that BIG suggested, but I don't have a Hancock's near me and didn't feel like paying shipping.

TL;DR:

Black Velvet:
1. Fidelio
2. Sy Fabrics Triple Black
3. Joanne's Premier

AT Velvet:
1. Microvelvet from Hancock's
2. Stretch Velvet from Joanne's
ellisr63 and dabsabre like this.
post #25 of 90 Old 12-22-2011, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I ordered Fedilio velvet to start covering screen wall and little ceiling. Can I use this velvet to wrap my spearkers? I have front ported Paradigm studio 100 and rear ported Paradigm Studio 690.

Also is there any advantage to use Velvet cloth on walls and ceilings for acoustically treatment?

I don't know anything about acoustic treatments and going to read threads. I am assuming that cloth will not reflect any sound so avoids resonance. I am planning to staple the cloth to the walls or use frames. Appreciate your comments.
post #26 of 90 Old 12-22-2011, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 30
You need a cloth that is acoustically transparent for treatments. The only velvet that I have seen that is somewhat transparent is the stretch velvet. If you wanted to wrap the speakers themselves in the fidelio velvet, you would need to at least cut holes out for the drivers.

Drape some of the fabric over your speakers and you will see that it is not very acoustically transparent.
post #27 of 90 Old 12-22-2011, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockmonkey2000 View Post

You need a cloth that is acoustically transparent for treatments. The only velvet that I have seen that is somewhat transparent is the stretch velvet. If you wanted to wrap the speakers themselves in the fidelio velvet, you would need to at least cut holes out for the drivers.

Drape some of the fabric over your speakers and you will see that it is not very acoustically transparent.

Thanks for reply. Could you please share what brand/model name that I can get for stretch velvet.
post #28 of 90 Old 12-22-2011, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockmonkey2000 View Post

Fabric over acoustic treatments does need to be open weave / breathable, but it doesn't really need to be acoustically "transparent", like you need over speakers. Maybe more like "acoustically translucent".
post #29 of 90 Old 12-22-2011, 09:45 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

I used to have the same take as Brad but have been giving it some more thought. First consider the fact that there are many different types of wall treatments but for discussion lets say there are two, Absorption and Diffusion.

On the absorption panels putting fabric that isn't acoustically transparent in front of the treatment probably doesn't do much harm as the upper frequencies the fabric absorbs were going to be absorbed by the treatment anyway.

Diffusers are probably a different story and if more diffusion was intended for the rear of the room if you use a fabric that is overly absorptive than you will start deadening the room too much and the surround sound may be affected.
ellisr63 likes this.
post #30 of 90 Old 12-22-2011, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I've been thinking about this topic also as there is a fabric I want to use that seems to have a pretty tight weave. I plan to put the fabric in front of the omnimic and measure my speaker response with the without and with the fabric in front of the speaker, this will tell me how transparent the fabric is. My suspicion is that this particular fabric will be allow lower frequencies to pass but will reflect high frequencies. However high frequencies are usually less of a problem and most treated rooms have plenty of high frequency absorption but not enough low frequency. I'm wondering if I could get away with using panels that are not quite as ideal for high frequencies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page