Examples of Flat Screen behind a "Drop Down" 2.35:1 Screen? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 12-12-2011, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm designing and thinking about my basement room/mancave for my new home and I am probably going to have to go with a Flat Screen/Plasma (60"-80" in size) attached to the Screen Wall, and then have a electric "drop down" 2.35:1 screen roll down out of the soffit above the flat screen...because I am on a major limited budget and the idea of watching football games, sports or TV using "bulb life" on the projector bulb is not possible (until I win the lottery )..I will be only using the projector bulb/drop down electric 2.35 screen for movies but not for TV or sports or video games lol.......are there any examples or links anyone can respond to where this is done already????...I've never seen it on any dedicated home theater on this forum.....if I put OC 703 Base Trapping back there on the screen wall I'm sure it will help and I am aware that the flat screen will reflect a lot of noise and not help at all with sound absorbtion unfortunately.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-13-2011, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
I'd be interested in this as well.

My original plan is/was to put my 65" Mits behind a drop down. Lately, I have been researching the possibility of buying the cheapest pre-made electric screen I can find and replacing the screen material with my on-hand original SMX AT material.

There are a few posts in the DIY screen area form a couple of years ago (mine included). Originally, I was looking to gather all the parts and build one, but it now appears as though buying a cheap pre-made one is cost effective.

There IS a problem with the edges of the screen curling, but I think I have an approach to tackle it.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #3 of 12 Old 12-13-2011, 06:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
i tried it (with a 16x9 screen though)...

within 2 or 3 days, i removed the plasma from the wall and ordered a fixed screen (the display was a 60" kuro)... the overwhelming size advantage of the pj screen always wins...

i'm not quite following your economic logic... you can buy several bulbs for what the flat panel is going to cost...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #4 of 12 Old 12-13-2011, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

In my case, I already have the 65" and LOGANESS wants it out of the living room and I don't think there's anywhere else to put it. Short of trying to sell it off, I'm stuck with it.

Tom Logan

post #5 of 12 Old 12-13-2011, 10:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

yea, if you've already got it, no reason not to try to use it...

my "economic logic" comment was directed at the op...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #6 of 12 Old 12-13-2011, 12:18 PM

I'm in the same boat. I dont really want to use the projectors for day-to-day use.

I got the screen off ebay for $150. I would have pad 3 times more for it. the guy's company demo'd an A/V room at a school and they didnt want to keep the screen. He took it home, but couldnt figure out how to mount it in his basement. he didnt know what he had.

Tim
post #7 of 12 Old 12-13-2011, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post

I'd be interested in this as well.

My original plan is/was to put my 65" Mits behind a drop down. Lately, I have been researching the possibility of buying the cheapest pre-made electric screen I can find and replacing the screen material with my on-hand original SMX AT material.

There are a few posts in the DIY screen area form a couple of years ago (mine included). Originally, I was looking to gather all the parts and build one, but it now appears as though buying a cheap pre-made one is cost effective.

There IS a problem with the edges of the screen curling, but I think I have an approach to tackle it.

Tom,

By the time you get done with your build, they will have 120" LED's out for under $500.00

post #8 of 12 Old 12-14-2011, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Maybe that's been my plan all along.....

Tom Logan

post #9 of 12 Old 12-14-2011, 10:42 AM

I had a 50" plasma mounted to my screen wall, but recently replaced it with a 65".

Makes TOTAL sense considering our HT is the place my son wants to play Halo on the 360. In an effort to make it less "stressful" on myself, I showed him how to work everything minus the projector/screen.

Much easier for him to turn on the rcvr to get surround sound and a TV vs. the whole 9 yards....

See the Supercharged 10second II here :
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3131345
See the ConcreteBunker Build w/8x18" IB subs here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1445270/27l-x-22w-x-10h-diy-concrete-bunker-w-eight-18-ib-subs/0_70

post #10 of 12 Old 12-14-2011, 11:03 AM

I have a 55 LED on my wall and a drop down 16x9 projection screen above it. It all depends on how you want to use the space, in a purely dedicated theater room it doesnt make much sense to me, but if its a multi use space that changes.

I dont always want the lights really dim/off when I am in the space and for just watching sportscenter or family guy or what not I really dont need a huge screen. I also have a PC hooked up to it and sometimes prefer the TV screen to the projector for that.

I have only had mine in use about a month now but so far, I have used both screens. I get more use out of the TV, with the projector being reserved mostly for just movies.
post #11 of 12 Old 09-14-2012, 07:59 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by donjuanwater View Post

I'm designing and thinking about my basement room/mancave for my new home and I am probably going to have to go with a Flat Screen/Plasma (60"-80" in size) attached to the Screen Wall, and then have a electric "drop down" 2.35:1 screen roll down out of the soffit above the flat screen...because I am on a major limited budget and the idea of watching football games, sports or TV using "bulb life" on the projector bulb is not possible (until I win the lottery

)..I will be only using the projector bulb/drop down electric 2.35 screen for movies but not for TV or sports or video games lol.......are there any examples or links anyone can respond to where this is done already????...I've never seen it on any dedicated home theater on this forum.....if I put OC 703 Base Trapping back there on the screen wall I'm sure it will help and I am aware that the flat screen will reflect a lot of noise and not help at all with sound absorbtion unfortunately.

What did you end up going with? I'm also in the same boat and Ive been trying to get info on how I can install a 2.35:1 screen as a pull down in front of my wall-mounted 65" plasma.
post #12 of 12 Old 09-17-2012, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Just to close the loop, I went with a cheap drop-down, replaced the material with my original SMX AT material and after all that, we're moving the 65" Mits into the family room. I COULD go to a fixed screen, but right now, it's pretty convenient for getting behind the screen wall. And I have no complaints with the screen as it is.

The amazing thing is that when I suggested trying to sell the 65", she said, "Well I DO kind of like the big screen and good sound for watching Dancing With the Stars......"

Tom Logan

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page