question about cat5e cable telephone line to whole house internet thru ethernet - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 38 Old 12-13-2011, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
alrighty,
so against my wishes my wife decided she wanted a kb home, (i know!!) well we get the house and i find out in the whole telephone system is cat5 and we r not going to get a telephone, so my question(s)

there is a main cat5 white cord wired into the main control box, and a blue one, ( i will have to pull telephone boxes off the wall to see where the blue goes and where the white goes)

upstairs in the mb closet is the control unit for the cable and the telephone line(s),

so i ask, can i disconnect the cat5 white cable and put an ethernet end on it and run ir into my ht closet thus activating all the standard telephone lines with ethernet?

and then put ethernet ends onto the ends in the closet and plug them into a switch? Or just leave them connected to the telephone switch (or get an ethernet switch where i can slip each color coded wire into each section and convert it all to ethernet internet???)

and then

put female ethernet ends into the plates in each room and have a full wired ethernet system for my 20-40 mbps cable connection running throghout the whole house?

does this make sense?

i need some assistance with this, as i will not have to run ethernet connections anywhere if this set up will work?

thanks for any and all input!
j
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 12-13-2011, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Your question is hard to follow.

If all the cat5 cables terminate at one location, you're in good shape. Hopefully the builder ran an individual cable from each wall jack to a central location. You would install a switch there.

Do you have a bunch of cables coming together somewhere?

Please try to phrase your question more clearly. Some pictures might help too.

High Desert Theater - work in progress
Building Bass - Subs

Surrounds - Easy as Pi

Storage - unRAID unDELL

post #3 of 38 Old 12-13-2011, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post

Your question is hard to follow.

If all the cat5 cables terminate at one location, you're in good shape. Hopefully the builder ran an individual cable from each wall jack to a central location. You would install a switch there.

Do you have a bunch of cables coming together somewhere?

Please try to phrase your question more clearly. Some pictures might help too.

sorry it was confusing!!

there is the main telephone line switch in the master bedroom closet where all the cables go to their perspective outlets, then i have 1 main line going into the main box outside.

i will snap picks tomorrow and post them up, and hopefully if u or someone else can take a look maybe i can get clarification because im not sure if one room is hooked to another or something like that u know?

i will alsso investigate the attic crawl space a bit more to see if i can find a junction box where they all meet up if there is something seperate than the one in the closet!

thanks

will post more tomorrow!
post #4 of 38 Old 12-13-2011, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 41
You describe a "switch". Is there a piece of electronic gear there? Or is it just a passive panel with a bunch of jacks? Or just loose cat5 cables?

Will you be using DSL from the phone company or cable for your internet access? If cable, is there also a coax cable in the master closet wiring box?

Sounds like they wired it right where each jack has a "home run" to the box in the closet.

High Desert Theater - work in progress
Building Bass - Subs

Surrounds - Easy as Pi

Storage - unRAID unDELL

post #5 of 38 Old 12-14-2011, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

ok, so i may be able to just disconnect the main line comming into the switching board, and then use the rest of the lines and put in ethernet cable ends, and crimp them, set up a switch, and hook my cable modem up right next to it, and then run the ethernet from it to the switch and once the lines are all plugged in i should have ethernet throughout the whole house, correct?

now the blue line i am not sure where that one goes, but it is hooked up to the second telephone line on the telephone box itself, but not sure where it goes in the house?

here r the pics,
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #6 of 38 Old 12-14-2011, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Your coax and cat5 are all in what I assume is a lutron home network box. You have power in there also. Put your modem and switch in there and place ends on your cat5 and your done. Might be a tight fit but it would work. Also your blue one could go to an alarm or something.
post #7 of 38 Old 12-14-2011, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post

You describe a "switch". Is there a piece of electronic gear there? Or is it just a passive panel with a bunch of jacks? Or just loose cat5 cables?

Will you be using DSL from the phone company or cable for your internet access? If cable, is there also a coax cable in the master closet wiring box?

Sounds like they wired it right where each jack has a "home run" to the box in the closet.

no dsl, it is cable thru the cble as shown in the pics, along with the switching board used for the tele lines! all cat 5 e cable,
post #8 of 38 Old 12-14-2011, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by System View Post

Your coax and cat5 are all in what I assume is a lutron home network box. You have power in there also. Put your modem and switch in there and place ends on your cat5 and your done. Might be a tight fit but it would work. Also your blue one could go to an alarm or something.

my thoughts exactly!! so just plug them all in and it should be ethernet thru out the house right?

also gonna use my wireless down stairs so i can take one of the ethernets down stairs and put a plug on it and hook it to the wan port as that is what is doing the routing and ip addresses, correct?

thoughts?
post #9 of 38 Old 12-14-2011, 03:15 PM

Liked: 13
Your router has to be first off the modem, then to the switch, so you will need it in the box unless you have 2 cat5 at one location to make it a in and out. Otherwise have a wireless ax point off one of your cat5 runs.
post #10 of 38 Old 12-14-2011, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by System View Post

Your router has to be first off the modem, then to the switch, so you will need it in the box unless you have 2 cat5 at one location to make it a in and out. Otherwise have a wireless ax point off one of your cat5 runs.

ok so plug the modem ethernet as i have it now, into the wireless, and then a port from the wires airport basestation into my switch then i can use my airport express and extend my wireless downstairs, and all will be good,

one question:

what do u mean a wireles axess point off one of the cat5 cables?
post #11 of 38 Old 12-14-2011, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Huh? what? que? Let your typing catch up with your thinking!

Let me try to rephrase, You want to use your existing cAT5, previously intended for voice (precisely POT) for computer data networking use?

If yes, then YES. Looks like everything goes into a central closet, that's what computer networking wants, whether you have enough room in there to accommodate all the equipment u wanto use is another matter. A standard computer network is a STAR TOPOLOGY, meaning from a center location, it branches out to your wall outlets in different room where your PC, laptops, printer, etc are. And yes, all u have to do is probly re-jack standard phone's RJ11 (2-4 pins small jacks) to RJ45 (8 pins wide jacks). U will need to buy a punching tool, $20.

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

post #12 of 38 Old 12-14-2011, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb View Post

Huh? what? que? Let your typing catch up with your thinking!

Let me try to rephrase, You want to use your existing cAT5, previously intended for voice (precisely POT) for computer data networking use?

If yes, then YES. Looks like everything goes into a central closet, that's what computer networking wants, whether you have enough room in there to accommodate all the equipment u wanto use is another matter. A standard computer network is a STAR TOPOLOGY, meaning from a center location, it branches out to your wall outlets in different room where your PC, laptops, printer, etc are. And yes, all u have to do is probly re-jack standard phone's RJ11 (2-4 pins small jacks) to RJ45 (8 pins wide jacks). U will need to buy a punching tool, $20.

haha awesome!

i plan to throw in some sort of shelf system, so it will all be on a good surge/power protector and on the shlef so it will all be good to go!

all my jacks actually already go into wall plates that can be taken out and then reused with different clip on sections

so each wall plate has 1 bottom section empty, middle section has a cable receptacle and top is the standard phone jack that i will take the wires from and take to bottom and hook up Ethernet plugs to!

awesome, i have a minor in IT i should have know it was a star topology system! duh, it goes to show what u remember from college when it is never used! haha

so whole home Ethernet with a 20-40 mbps cable system should be plenty fast!

yes!!!
post #13 of 38 Old 12-14-2011, 06:58 PM

Yes it will work.
Ive dome it on two homes.
If you want you can also use 4 wires(2pair) for 100mbps and still keep telephone.... Or go 4 pair gige.

The only concern is that builders use the crappiest aka cheapest cables ever.
post #14 of 38 Old 12-14-2011, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by calimark View Post

Yes it will work.
Ive dome it on two homes.
If you want you can also use 4 wires(2pair) for 100mbps and still keep telephone.... Or go 4 pair gige.

The only concern is that builders use the crappiest aka cheapest cables ever.

yeah the pics show the cables, i hope they r ok, because i cannot run more because my house is 2 story and the attic area is not that big

im intrigued, please tell me more about the double pair for the 100 mbps, and what is 4 pair gauge?
post #15 of 38 Old 12-15-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2048b View Post

yeah the pics show the cables, i hope they r ok, because i cannot run more because my house is 2 story and the attic area is not that big

im intrigued, please tell me more about the double pair for the 100 mbps, and what is 4 pair gauge?

cables come in a few awgs, stranded/solid, certain twist per inch blah blah.

From your photo you have 4 pair wiring so you can do as I was suggesting.

http://www.mavromatic.com/2005/06/ho...e-cat5e-cable/

Google man Sorry I dont have time right now to double check the info on the link but you should get the basic idea.
Hope this helps
post #16 of 38 Old 12-16-2011, 01:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

cables come in a few awgs, stranded/solid, certain twist per inch blah blah.

From your photo you have 4 pair wiring so you can do as I was suggesting.

http://www.mavromatic.com/2005/06/ho...e-cat5e-cable/

Google man Sorry I dont have time right now to double check the info on the link but you should get the basic idea.
Hope this helps

cool thanks, will read and see what happens! since i just found out the blue line into the telephone box actually feeds into the kitchen to 2 different wall plates, i might not need to use the ethernet cables for phone and ethernet, as i will already have 1 dedicated line for phone, as far as i notice any ways!

thanks for everyones help!
post #17 of 38 Old 12-16-2011, 02:54 AM

Ok, just to offer some terminology and clarification to make this all easier to communicate in the future:

What you call a "Telephone Switch Panel" is actually a "110-style Wiring Block". (Never use the word "switch" unless it is a powered piece of electronic equipment with switching capability, or a physical lever used to turn something on or off. Any other use only leads to confusion)

The "wall plates with clip-on sections" are actually called "Keystone Wall Plates with Keystone Jacks." For the most part, they all follow the same standards, so any keystone jack will fit in any keystone wall plate, but some manufacturers do not follow the standards. The best thing to do is find out what brand plates/jacks you have (it s usually stamped into the back of the plate, and jacks), and buy the new jacks from the same manufacturer. This will ensure a good fit and avoid issues with a too-tight or too-loose fit. The most popular brand, and the one I stick with, is Leviton.

To follow the RJ45 wiring standard, you should be wiring all 4 pairs in your Cat5E cables into the jacks using the proper color order. If you do not know the proper order, look up the 568-A and 568-B wiring standards. There is a lot of debate which is better, but through all the testing I have seen, it really makes no difference which you use. The only thing you need to make sure is that once you choose A or B, to use that standard for EVERYTHING. If you decide to purchase a Patch Panel it may only be labelled for 568-A or 568-B, so the rest of the wiring in your house will have to match that patch panel.

In a pinch, a Cat5 cable can be used for TWO network connections (at a max speed of 100Mb/sec each) by only wiring two of the pairs in the cable into each jack on both sides of the cable (four jacks total, two jacks on each end of the cable). That is why calimark asked if you were using 2-pair or 4-pair. As long as you follow the 568 wiring standards above, and you use Gigabit switches and NICs, you should get gigabit speeds from your Cat5E cables. When he said "gige" he was talking about Gigabit Ethernet (commonly referred to as "GigE"), it was not a mis-spelling of the word "gauge."
post #18 of 38 Old 12-16-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Z3VH View Post

. When he said "gige" he was talking about Gigabit Ethernet (commonly referred to as "GigE"), it was not a mis-spelling of the word "gauge."

Thanks man :-). I didnt even realize I may have confused him. I thought he was really asking about the gauge.
post #19 of 38 Old 12-16-2011, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok, just to offer some terminology and clarification to make this all easier to communicate in the future:

LOL. He's getting more than he bargained for. How-to AND a glossary.

post #20 of 38 Old 12-16-2011, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

What you call a "Telephone Switch Panel" is actually a "110-style Wiring Block". (Never use the word "switch" unless it is a powered piece of electronic equipment with switching capability, or a physical lever used to turn something on or off. Any other use only leads to confusion)

The "wall plates with clip-on sections" are actually called "Keystone Wall Plates with Keystone Jacks." For the most part, they all follow the same standards, so any keystone jack will fit in any keystone wall plate, but some manufacturers do not follow the standards. The best thing to do is find out what brand plates/jacks you have (it s usually stamped into the back of the plate, and jacks), and buy the new jacks from the same manufacturer. This will ensure a good fit and avoid issues with a too-tight or too-loose fit. The most popular brand, and the one I stick with, is Leviton.

To follow the RJ45 wiring standard, you should be wiring all 4 pairs in your Cat5E cables into the jacks using the proper color order. If you do not know the proper order, look up the 568-A and 568-B wiring standards. There is a lot of debate which is better, but through all the testing I have seen, it really makes no difference which you use. The only thing you need to make sure is that once you choose A or B, to use that standard for EVERYTHING. If you decide to purchase a Patch Panel it may only be labelled for 568-A or 568-B, so the rest of the wiring in your house will have to match that patch panel.

In a pinch, a Cat5 cable can be used for TWO network connections (at a max speed of 100Mb/sec each) by only wiring two of the pairs in the cable into each jack on both sides of the cable (four jacks total, two jacks on each end of the cable). That is why calimark asked if you were using 2-pair or 4-pair. As long as you follow the 568 wiring standards above, and you use Gigabit switches and NICs, you should get gigabit speeds from your Cat5E cables. When he said "gige" he was talking about Gigabit Ethernet (commonly referred to as "GigE"), it was not a mis-spelling of the word "gauge."

thanks for all of the clarifications, i will check into the wiring options either a or b, when i get more time and actually get a chance to start this project!

thanks again,
j
post #21 of 38 Old 12-16-2011, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

thanks to everyone on here for educating me on this stuff! very much appreciated!
post #22 of 38 Old 12-31-2011, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

alrighty, quick couple questions here:

my wires comming into the kitchen are not orange/white, or blue, blue /hite ect...

instead they are orange, a slight yellow orange color, blue, light blue, brown, light brown, and green, light green, so i punched the cables down as a "b" rated standard, but i wonder since they are not the typical half blue whit and 1 blue, will it matter?

or will it still work because they are cat5e cables anyways?

Also:

if i do the twist as described in the cross over pic will it help my network at all? as far as thru put or speed is concerned?

thanks
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #23 of 38 Old 12-31-2011, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

to go along with the last pic:
LL
post #24 of 38 Old 12-31-2011, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

1st - ignore the cross hookup, nobody needs cross wiring these days as devices are now auto-sensing/auto-switching.

2nd - Notice the one pair of twisted wire hooks up pins 1&2 while the second pair of twisted wire hooks up pins 3&6, IT HAS TO BE THAT WAY. Obviously it doesn't matter what color the wires are (although if standard color makes your job easier) u just have to use the SAME PAIR on the same pins on BOTH ends.

post #25 of 38 Old 12-31-2011, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb View Post

1st - u can ignore the "cross" wiring, NOBODY need cross wiring these days because devices are now auto-sensing/auto switching meaning they will cross logically automatically.

2nd - that straight diagram looks wrong to me. One pair of wire needs to be hooked up at pin2 and pin6, there is a very specific reason why that's done, am too drunk today to give u any more details.

MAHAHAHA! TOO DRUNK ALREADY! THATS GREAT!

so i might have already hooked up my stuff wrong then?

also i bought a patch panel but wonder if it is even needed? if i punch in all the lines, i can then hook mu modem to it, and all of the thernets from a switch into the patch panel and it should all work, correct?

(just a way i was trying to do it)

or should i just terminete all the wires into plugs and plug them into a switch?

thanks, have a happy new years!
post #26 of 38 Old 01-01-2012, 04:17 PM

I vote no to ptch panel. Just more crap for you to have go wrong. Being a rookie, I say KISS- keep it super simple.

Oh btw- as long as you follow the color code on the connector you should be ok. I think Bobb was referring to the actual physical connection of the wires but that is handled by the connector you are using ( at least I thnk so ;-) )
post #27 of 38 Old 01-01-2012, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I vote no to ptch panel. Just more crap for you to have go wrong. Being a rookie, I say KISS- keep it super simple.

Oh btw- as long as you follow the color code on the connector you should be ok. I think Bobb was referring to the actual physical connection of the wires but that is handled by the connector you are using ( at least I thnk so ;-) )

ok cool, thanks for the advice and tips!

it will be best to throw the patch panel out of the equation!

on a side note i may have an issue with my wiring:

every line is marked, but my master bedroom has 3 jacks, but in the panel in the closet it only has 1 line marked for master bedroom, so that pretty much tells me the three are cut and joined somewhere in the attic then correct? and one cant splice cat5 cables together to use on a network, right?

i am going to have to dig in the attic to find where the three are twisted together and or just drop 1 new single line and be done!

thanks guys! will hopefully have this done in the next couple weeks!
post #28 of 38 Old 01-02-2012, 09:05 AM

Liked: 10
I noticed an issue with your punch down. You are stripping WAY too much of the sheathing away. You want to strip away only as much as is necessary to get it into the punch down.

I would terminate every end using the B standard.

EDIT: You are correct. You can't splice together network wires.
post #29 of 38 Old 01-02-2012, 10:16 AM

Liked: 75
An attic crawl is probably in your future if you think there has been a splice somewhere.

In my experience home builders installing CAT5 will not even remotely adhere to standard installation methods for low voltage twisted-pair wire. I've seen installations where the installer looped the CAT5 through a wire staple, pulled it tight and then smacked it down flush with the wood beam (as you might do for 4-wire old style phone cable). Installed this way it ruins the twist ratios and wire separation needed for good Ethernet performance. You can probably get 10BASE-T performance out of it, but even 100BASE-TX might be asking too much and Gigabit is probably out of the question.

post #30 of 38 Old 01-02-2012, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

thanks king and jtr!

yeah i first noticed i had cat5 running everywhere when i was in the attic,

so i guess my only option is to do a run of cat5 from the box in the closet to the one wall that is not an outside wall that has fire breaks every freaking where!

on a side not i believe i have found a section in the master bdrm that is a huge opening between two walls!

so when i do drop everything downstairs into the media closet, it might be pretty easy!!
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page