Enough slacking, let's start working again.
I've begun with the star ceiling - eventually. The whole panel will consist of 4 seperate panels that will be bolted together on the floor and then pushed up by 6 volunteers (still to be recruited) while I will be in the attic fastening the rods.
Here's a pic of the wood, threaded rods, nuts & bolts and big fender washers:
Here the side pieces of the "boxes" is marked where the bolts will go that'll keep the four panels together.
And here they are in pairs after the 8mm holes is drilled. The sides is made out of 16mm MDF and the bottom sheet, where the fibres will go through, is 9mm MDF.
This is the layout to form the box, with a centre span to keep the bottom sheet from sagging. I made the four frames first and then put on the bottoms.
Here's the four frames finished and stacked on top of each other. I didn't take pics of the actual nailing and screwing of the bottoms to the frames, but I used glue, then the nailgun with brad nails and to make triple sure it stays connected to the frame, I screwed it with chipboard screws as well.
Here's one of a finished panel with the nine blocks I cut and drilled for the threaded rod to go through and bolted on the bottom with a big washer.
Here is the four panels ready to receive their connecting blocks for the rods. They are just pushed together to see if they'll fit - you can see the bolts and washers test fitted.
This is to show how I fixed the blocks to the panels. Glue + Nails + Screws + Clamp = very strong bond!
De javu? Same Hand Different Finger - Don't know if I must call it First blood part II or Second blood part I
(I'm very lucky so far - this is about the most serious injury I got while building the HT - except for the sore muscles
All panels glued and rod-blocks fastened. A total of 9 rods will keep the whole star ceiling up. Next came the paint. This is just to keep the MDF from showing through the velvet that will be streched over it.
And here the first coat is on
After the second coat dried, I put on the starmap, printed on 168 A4 folios (old recycled statements) and sticked it down with sticky-tape
And here the whole lot is done! It took longer to stick the template to panels than it took to paint the things
Here's a close-up of one of the panels with its star-map and ready to be drilled.
I used a dremmel-kind of hand tool to drill the holes. I used a 1mm drill bit. I got to finish 1 and a half panels before the battery ran out. It's busy recharging now, so I'll finish the rest tonight after work and post again when there is more progress.