My "Out of Africa" theater is "FINISHED" - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 467 Old 08-09-2012, 02:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Wow, it looks fantastic. I really love the carpet choice and I love how the red really pops for contrast... Great job!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 467 Old 08-10-2012, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi guys, thanx for the kind words. The room looks so much nicer now with the carpet in. calimark, yes, I must still wrap the frame with the screen material (wich I already have for a few months now) and the seats, that is waiting in another room for nearly a year now! I want to install the speakers first before I put in the seats - to make it easier to work without moving heavy chairs around on my new carpet biggrin.gif

RT, I got hold of the twins. Unfortunately they say they won't be able to attend very soon but offered to send their, can you believe it, also twins cousins, to come instead. I said no thank you............ but thanx anyway rolleyes.gif

I've put up a black trim piece around the door jamb on the inside to seal some gaps between the wall and jamb and to finish it off nicely. I've also painted the rest of the jamb and the door black.

Pardon the over exposed photos and photoshop "enhanced" photos - it gets very hard to take pics in this place.

Here's how the entrance and ticket booth look with the carpet now.

post #363 of 467 Old 08-10-2012, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbejaan View Post

Thanx RT! I just wish I had my own large format printer so that I can print my own posters when and how I want.

Someone here had a flat panel display showing a slide show of movie posters. You could do something similar for your ticket booth.

and a link to the source here.

There's a thread here on AVS too somewhere.

High Desert Theater - work in progress
Building Bass - Subs

Surrounds - Easy as Pi

Storage - unRAID unDELL

post #364 of 467 Old 08-10-2012, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Oh my! I would pass on the cousins as well. That my friend was very good thinking on your part for sure. I bet they would be much much cheaper though to keep around. Not as easy on the eyes though. Also good thinking on the speakers/chairs no need to move heavy things around if you don't have to.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #365 of 467 Old 08-13-2012, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter

Pete, looks like a nice idea. I'll have to see if I can find a tv that will fit inside the window - could work.

RT, maybe I must get the cousins to move my chairs into the HT - should be as easy as pie for them! wink.gif

My remote lighting is also now in operation. All the lights in the HT and foyer can now be controlled and dimmed via remote control as well as the star ceiling and soffit ribbon light. The remote have 3 scene settings as well - for now I set one for ALL ON, one for ALL OFF and another for PEE - if someone must go to just light up the step lights, under-soffit lights and star ceiling (for the rest of the folks to look at while someone is taking a P.

Here's how the remote looks:

And here's on of the modules that does the dimming:

The room really looks very nice after the following addtion:

Take one perfectly good solid door

and cut it in two eek.gif

Next, I glued and nailed two strips of wood to the freshly cut half-doors like this:

Stand back, and it looks like this:

And the result:

Here the door(s) is sanded and ready to be hanged.

Unfurtuneatly I don't have one of those router template thingys to cut out the seat for the hinges.....so....here we go!!

post #366 of 467 Old 08-13-2012, 05:02 AM - Thread Starter

And the first door is hanging:

And the second:

Doors open

And closed - from inside the foyer

"I see a brown door and I want it painted black....... No colors anymore I want them to turn black"

I've ordered the Door closers form Capetown. Should be here in a couple of days. I must also still fit the foam strips inside the jamb and also find some decent looking handles.

Till later

Will
post #367 of 467 Old 08-13-2012, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I like that door. Looks GREAT! cool.gif
post #368 of 467 Old 08-13-2012, 11:12 AM

Nice dude.

Tell me more about the PEE thingy :-)

Is it IR? Can you control 2 lights via different codes? Or they all share the same IR codes?
post #369 of 467 Old 08-14-2012, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter

Hi calimark. The remote works with RF. Each button on the remote can be linked to a receiver module. So one button can control as many receivers as you like. It works the same as the wall switch - press and release to turn on or off or hold in for the desired dimming. I also got the USB modem so I can control the lights and set as many scenes as I wish with my Android tablet or smartphone, connected to my home network. The remote works well through my double-thick brick walls as well. Unfortuanatly it seems impossible to program into my Harmony 900 remote that also works with RF. Luckily the remote is small enough to put next to me on the seat on next to the chair on the floor.
post #370 of 467 Old 08-16-2012, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Looking great Will! There is more really cool progress every time I stop in here!

The Esquire Theater Construction Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1289590
post #371 of 467 Old 08-17-2012, 04:02 AM - Thread Starter

Thanx Ben, little steps now, no real big changes anymore.

I've put up the door closers. It feels like a "special" room now. It is cool to see the doors close slowly like real movie theater doors. I adjusted the one door to close a little bit slower than the other to ensure that the door with the back lip closes first and then the door with the front lip. I must still put on the foam strips on the insides of the lips - you can see on the one pic that I cheated a bit and painted only one layer inside the lips.

I've also added the trim piece between the jamb and the fabric frame walls. I used a piece of meranti coverstrip and covered it with the same black material I've used for the columns. It makes for a very nice transition from wall to door.

Here's a pic showing the doors from the inside with the trimmings around the jamb and the two closers on the top part of the jamb. My wife's first words when she saw them was: "It looks just like two big office staplers stuck above the doors" - must say it kinda looks that way now that she mentioned it! eek.gif

They were white so I had to spraypaint them matt black (once again ,in all the pics the flash is harsh, looks very good in real life)

Here's a close-up of the two "staplers"

And here with the doors open

And finally, an action shot (although you can't see it smile.gif ) of the doors slowly closing

In one of the pics you can clearly see some "bubbles" in one of the triangles in the right door. They came about after I painted the doors. It is the veneer that is lifting. I suspect it wasn't uniformly glued when the doors were made. I don't know what I'm gonna do about them - maybe sanding down that part and filling the voids left after the veneer is gone with some wood filler or something and repainting it. Something must be done 'cause it looks really scheiße now!

Will
post #372 of 467 Old 08-18-2012, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hey there Will. Your room is just amazing. I'm really jealous and your choices have been superb. Things down under are fine but I have been travelling with work lots lately. Off for almost 2 months on Wednesday with work. Good news is that most of my other domestic duties are complete so when I get back I should get a little time off work to get into my room. Isn't it amazing how much better the room sounds with carpet! Keep up the good work! Greg.

Follow my thread here
post #373 of 467 Old 08-18-2012, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbejaan View Post

In one of the pics you can clearly see some "bubbles" in one of the triangles in the right door. They came about after I painted the doors. It is the veneer that is lifting.

I wonder if you could stick a needle through the bubble and inject a very small amount of glue and then roll it flat to get the air out. I have done this with other thin layers such as plastics and laminates and it worked well. You would probably need to lay the door flat and put some weight on it until it dries.
post #374 of 467 Old 08-18-2012, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Heilige skape dip! Wat deur uitgedraai fantasties!Wel gedaan, baie goed gedoen! Ek is hier om jou te vertel dat 'n besigheid van die huis teater konstruksie kan wees in jou toekoms (of aftrede) moet jy wil.Jou vakmanskap is top!

It has been a few since I have checked in and as usual you don't disappoint. Keep up the excellent progress and keep those pics coming. Looking fantastic! Really love the way the doors turned out. Very classy.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #375 of 467 Old 08-18-2012, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGiovas View Post

I wonder if you could stick a needle through the bubble and inject a very small amount of glue and then roll it flat to get the air out. I have done this with other thin layers such as plastics and laminates and it worked well. You would probably need to lay the door flat and put some weight on it until it dries.

Another thought. Check with the Manufacturer and ask if they used a heat activated adhesive to bond the vernier to the wood core. If I were them that is what I would be using. You might be able to reattach it using a electric flatiron.
post #376 of 467 Old 08-20-2012, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Howzit Greg! Great to hear from you again mate. I was wondering where you've been biggrin.gif Yep, carpet changes the whole picture (or should I say sound) I'll keep an eye on your build, can't let us "Southerners" set a bad example wink.gif

Nick, thanx for your tip - I think I'll try that tonight. Thank you for your suggestion as well, Frank. I tried the hot iron but it seems a little worse now eek.gif I guess it was not heat activaed glue after all. biggrin.gif I'm gonna try the injection tip from Nick. I am going to use Superglue and do them bubble-by-bubble. Hope it works.

RT, my ou goeie maat. Dankie vir al die komplimente! Dis 'n blerrie uitputtende stokperdjie hierdie! Ek weet nie of ek nou gou al weer kans sal sien om die volgende teater te bou nie - wie weet dalk oor 'n jaar of twee! Ek dink jy moet oorkom hierheen vanuit die VSA sodat jy my kan help met die volgende een.

I was afraid that the doors would look weird or be flimsy if I cut it in two, but luckily its still very sturdy and I think the two small doors look much better than one big door that would cover almost half of the screen when standing open!!

I've put on the foam seals on the inside of the jamb. It contains the sound very nice now and the doors close very softly now - I'm happy biggrin.gif

I've also started to wire the equipment room for power and put up trunking to hide the wires. The shelves for the rack is cut and painted and ready to be put up. The biggest obsticle in my way now, that prevents me from watching movies, is money!! I must save up now to buy the equipment. rolleyes.gifmad.gif

I'll post more pics as soon as there is more visible progress.

Till later

Will
post #377 of 467 Old 08-24-2012, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

What a happy day yesterday was! My speakers arrived. I got them for a great price so I had to just close my eyes and jump to the deal. I know - it's not the top of the range, but I think they will be sufficient enough for my smallish room. They are very nicely built and also looks quite good. It's a shame that they will be hidden inside the columns and behind the screen. I spent most of yesterday to install them. Since I still haven't got my amp yet, they are ornaments for now! rolleyes.gif

I forgot my camera's memory card at work so I just took 2 snaps with my phone before I unpacked them. Here's the boxes in the entrace hall just before I ripped them open. The two back surrounds is not in the picture.

This cracked me up:

Some courier guys would see it as a warning to be real carefull, while others (some dudes wearing brown shirts) might see it as a challenge!
Luckily the all arrived undamaged - as far as I can see, at least.

I'll snap some photies tonight of them in place and post the tomorrow or so.

Till later
post #378 of 467 Old 08-24-2012, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Excellent, most excellent. Can't wait to see some pics of them out of the box. I can remember the day my speakers came. Like Christmas had come early (or was it late) anyway I was like a giddy school boy.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #379 of 467 Old 08-25-2012, 04:51 AM - Thread Starter

Without further ado, here is the centre speaker without its grille.

The grilles are magnetically attached to the speakers - so no little holes.

Here's one of the towers:

And the shot that contains the 3 main fronts

The white cones look very cool, but unfortuanatly I think they will show through the AT screen in some scenes, so I'll have to put up their grilles.

You can't see very well in this top shot, but here is the sub.

This is one of the two side-surround bi-pole speakers:

And from afar.... (pay no interest to the shiny black wall inside the columns biggrin.gif )

Here's one of the back-surround twins:

And

Having the speakers now without the amp is like being all dressed up and nowhere to go mad.gif

I must still put up the front and back presence speakers when they arrive, but that'll be a little job.

My wife, on the other hand, is extremely happy now that the speakers are in - this means that I can now remove the HT chairs form the pool room.

While I was at the hardware store the other day, I picked up this little guy.

It is inside one of the dummy columns. This is one thing that you buy that you hope you never use!

Till later

Will

PS. I STILL feel like a little boy on Christmas morning biggrin.gif
post #380 of 467 Old 08-31-2012, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter

I've got a handle on things now.....

Let's say 4 handles to be precise biggrin.gif

I picked up these four yesterday. They look real good in person, not too big, not to skinny either. My little girl can free herself now from the HT when the doors close behind her. smile.gif They are not as bright as in the pics (as always)

Here's a close-up from the inside of the theater:

And also from inside - the full picture

Here is a more detailed pic of the handle

I've stained the door the the HT foyer darker and put up a clapper-board that I've purchased a few months ago. It now fits better with the rest of the dark furniture and frames in the house's entrance hall.

Now that I look back, alot of things were done the last couple of days!

The electrician came over as well and connected the electric cables to the main breaker box. I've now got two dedicated 20Amp lines to the HT for the equipment ect. I asked him to inspect the wiring I've done in the attic for the lights as well and he said everything looks good!

I've also finished the shelves for the equipment rack. They are now waiting to be filled with the components - they are going to wait a loooong time mad.gif

The first two big switches on the bottom "shelve" are isolators. I've wired them so that they cut all power to the two 20Amp lines comming into the theater when switched off. That way, I know when I leave the HT nothing can happen to the electronics or cause a fire when I'm not there. They will also be isolated from lightning strikes as well.

Here is a pic of the multi-switch that'll power the equipment in the rack. It is also lightning and surge protected. There is another one in the back of the equipment room that powers the chairs, some lights, the outside/fresh air aircon ect.

Before I go, my lovely wifey and in-laws bought me this present for my birthday on Monday!! I'm very happy biggrin.gif

Next big job is to stuff the attic with itchy pink stuff - any volunteers??

Till later,

Will
post #381 of 467 Old 08-31-2012, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I think I slept in my popcorn machine for the first few nights. smile.gif And after all that popcorn I need to go to the gym. smile.gif

The Esquire Theater Construction Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1289590
post #382 of 467 Old 08-31-2012, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hey Will,

you're doing a wonderful job indeed! Your wait is basically over now... cool.gif

Oh, BTW, wish you a nice and healthy B-Day on Monday, with popcorn, of course smile.gif

Regards, Chuck
Hold on tight to your dreams - ELO
post #383 of 467 Old 08-31-2012, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Popcorn is good! cool.gif
post #384 of 467 Old 09-01-2012, 03:44 AM - Thread Starter

Ben, Chuck and Nick - thanx for comments and good wishes. My wife LOVES popcorn, so it's good smile.gif

I got the poster frames I've ordered a few days ago. I put them up last night - will snap pics today and post later.

Will
post #385 of 467 Old 09-01-2012, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Here is the pic of the small frame. It is on the bottom part of the ticketbox. I am having movie posters printed for it. I think it would be nice to change this one often with different posters.

Here's how it looks as you enter:

The other one is BIG. It's opposite the media rack. I've put in a vintage poster that my in-laws bought me a while ago. They didn't know the movie, but since my HT is red & black, they thought it would be fitting! It makes the place look even more like a theater now. I must still cut a mountboard to put around the edges of the poster but I just put it in for now to get a general idea of how it will look.

post #386 of 467 Old 09-03-2012, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey Will,

nice poster though. BTW, love Red Sun, specially the scene where the "body-guard-samurai" (Toshiro Mifune) is trying to sleep in the woods, but gets bugged by a mosquito flying' round him, so out of a sudden he grabs his katana, strikes it in the air and... a dead silence comes in, which means he sliced the mosquito in two, in the deep blue dark, though...eek.giftongue.gif

Regards, Chuck
post #387 of 467 Old 09-03-2012, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Man, I go away for a couple of days again, only to return to see more excellent progress! Nice score on the popcorn machine! Fantastic work as always, love the door handles. They are very unique.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #388 of 467 Old 09-03-2012, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Post duplicated, sorry.

Regards, Chuck
post #389 of 467 Old 09-03-2012, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

You're right RT,

every time you come in here you find something new, what a progress!

Regards, Chuck
post #390 of 467 Old 09-04-2012, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter

Thanx guys, ........I aim to please! biggrin.gif

Chuck, I have not seen Red Sun. So, would you recommend me getting a copy then?

I have some stuff comming in today for the HT.

Will
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page