I finished another part of the HT that I was actually looking forward to. The panels that houses the downlights is now covered with velvet and already changed the whole look of the soffits.
I went to the fabric store without my wife. Walked to the velvet section and started "feeling" the stuff. I wanted velvet with a little texture, but not as bold as crushed velvet - more subtle. The owner of the shop came to me and asked "What do you actually want to do with the material?" I should have told her "I'm a drag-queen and want something flashy for an evening gown" but decided against it. Rather than going through the whole shebang of trying to explain to her what a fabric panel is and what exactly I'm building is just told her "I want to cover something with this dark material and this will do just fine thank you, How much is it?"
"Yes," she said. "That's marked down to R100-00 per meter (about $12-50) and work very nice for an overcoat."
Yea, whatever, just cut the damn thing and get it over with, I thought, "Give me 3 meters thank you"
Eventually I got home and laid out the fabric on our dining room table like my mother used to do when I was still a little boy, and she was making clothes for people.
I laughed at myself thinking of that song: "Man, I feel like a woman!"
I laid the frames onto the fabric and cut all the pieces for the panels, leaving enough to fold over the edges to staple.
While I was busy cutting the fabric, my wife came home and asked me if I knew what I was doing. "Of course yes!" I told her, hoping that I don't screw it up.
After all the fabric was cut up, I took it all to the HT to do some seriuos stapling! I first laid down some plastic sheets on the riser to work on.
I tried my skill on the one little "mini-me".
Easy-peasy, not looking to cheesy! (I hope)
It was straight sailing with the next 8 panels 'till: "pheeeup, pheeeup" (soft farting sounds) came form the stapelgun and no more "Ka-du!!, ka-du!!" as before! I tried everything and eventually screwed the back open and took out the piston, plastic round thingy and everything - all seemed ok. By the way, this is a brand new gun, only fired the few staples (1900) in the 4 columns i've covered so far.
Put everything back and then the magazine won't close properly. After dismanteling the rest of the bloody thing I found the culprit
This little piece of staple got stuck somewhere in the works. I whacked the gun to the floor and it jumped out form wherever it was doing its evil job.
(the pencil is for reference - look at the little piece in front of it!)
Put everything back together and: Ka-du! ka-du!
Eventually all the panels were finished, the downlights installed and put into place inside the soffits. Once again, .....I'm happy