Advertisement

post #122 of 467 Old 02-03-2012, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Ok Baboon,

You have made some excellent progress. Well done on the LED lights those look great. How do they compare to say a "regular" 60-65 watt light bulb? I have been unhappy how the new compact florescent lights look and the light from the LED's have that blue tinge to them. Now that you have them up how do you like them?

Again well done and keep the progress pics coming.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #123 of 467 Old 02-03-2012, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi RT,

I also don't like the blue-white light that LEDs usually give off, so I ordered the warm-white lights. They look very simmilar in colour to the 12v 50w halogen lights that I had in there before, but I think they are a tad darker in brightness. They only use 3w of power so it's unbelievable to think that all 15 downlights that I'll have in the HT and entrance to HT together will use LESS power than ONE of the regular 50w halogen lights.

To get back to your question, yes, so far I'm very happy with them.

Will, the tame baboon
post #124 of 467 Old 02-03-2012, 09:01 AM

Looking good chief! You're a big baller spending on led bulbs....15 of them at that too!
I'm a big fan of leds..so cheap to run, last longer...but U have to pay the price up front.

RTROSE,
I recently put up a couple of sconces using LED 3W candle bulbs. They are dimmable, cost about $12 each, and I went with the warm-whites as well. The bluish ones i'd stay away form. They pretty much look like incandesent, color wise.

I also would say they look to be about a 40-50 regular bulb. I have a light meter, I can measure the output if that means anything to you.
post #125 of 467 Old 02-03-2012, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Hi calimark. I figured, do it now and get it over with - they should last a very very long time.

Another big plus of the LEDs (and that's my main reason for getting them in the first place) is that they are MUCH cooler than the regular stuff. Heat is a problem in the HTs so I want to avoid any extra heat producing things in the HT as far as possible.

My steplights is the cool white kind and I'm not fond of them but they will only be on while everybody is getting to their seats and when someone wants to get up during the movie (if I allow it btw. ), otherwise they'll be off.
post #126 of 467 Old 02-03-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbejaan View Post

Another big plus of the LEDs (and that's my main reason for getting them in the first place) is that they are MUCH cooler than the regular stuff. Heat is a problem in the HTs so I want to avoid any extra heat producing things in the HT as far as possible.

You must be my brother on another continent! I hate cooking my house with lights and running AC to fight them. Unfortunately, I cannot afford LED everywhere so I settled for CFL and am slowly( in select locations) moving them to LED. I measured easy 120F on 60W bulbs.
post #127 of 467 Old 02-03-2012, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Love you place, keep the good job.
post #128 of 467 Old 02-04-2012, 01:41 AM - Thread Starter

Thanx Youg, I'm trying.
post #129 of 467 Old 02-04-2012, 02:42 AM - Thread Starter

This afternoon I'll be painting the undersides and frames of the soffits black. I hope I'll finish before comming to work again at 17h00. Come on 13h00!!!
post #130 of 467 Old 02-04-2012, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This afternoon I'll be painting the undersides and frames of the soffits black. I hope I'll finish before comming to work again at 17h00. Come on 13h00!!!

Ah, the old "work gets in the way of theater construction" problem. Funny how that works. Alas most of us have to "work" before we can "play/build".

Keep up the good work and those pictures coming.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #131 of 467 Old 02-04-2012, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

Yes RT, unfortunately with me it's the case of "all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy." My work hours SUCK to say the least, but "a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do!" It's difficult to get enough time for the HT with the job, the wife and a busy 4,5 y/o but I manage (so far!)
post #132 of 467 Old 02-04-2012, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

I managed to put on the the first coat of black paint. I'm back at work now and will continue after I get home after 19h00. I hope to finish tonight still
Will post pics when I'm done.
post #133 of 467 Old 02-06-2012, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

Good Morning Everybody, (it's morning here, anyway). A little update should be in order I think.

I've finished painting the underside of the soffits as well as the downlight holders that will be covered with velvet.

Another thing I did was covering the first column with fabric. I was a little nervous to start this job because I don't have alot of extra material (fabric) to waste if I make a mistake. Well, I thought, if I don't start somewere it won't get done, so lets jump in!

First I put down a clean plastic sheet and got all the tools ready:

Here's one of the black fabric roll and the compressor.

Measuring and cutting

When I started cutting and nailing and glueing and stretching and ... you get the picture, I didn't take any pictures till I was done. Sorry.

Here is my first column covered - I'm so chuffed!

Here's some close-up pics of the material itself. It is a very nice black with a subtle shimmer. The room is gonna be VERY dark, but isn't that the idea?

Here is the square insert. You don't see the seams in real life without the flash.

One down - 9 to go!
post #134 of 467 Old 02-06-2012, 02:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Moving fast Will and looking great. Nice job on the columns. I am still wrangling with what I am going to do. Yours look really clean and sharp.
You'll be finished real soon at this rate!
Cheers
Greg

Follow my thread here
post #135 of 467 Old 02-06-2012, 03:15 AM - Thread Starter

Thanx Greg, I hope they'll look nice when the "speaker grill" part is added to the columns for the final look. It took about one hour to wrap just the one column, so I'll try to do one every night or second night as "life-duty" permits!
post #136 of 467 Old 02-06-2012, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow,

Nice work! You could have fooled me with the "I don't have any experience with fabric covered columns" comment. They turned out fantastic!

You are still making quite the progress, looking sharp.

If you have said I can't remember but what speakers are you thinking about going with?

Regards,

RTROSE

post #137 of 467 Old 02-06-2012, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Hi RT,

Thanx for the compliment. I'm thinking of Monitor Audio speakers, but it's not set in stone yet. I want something that goes well with the Yammy 3010 but not to expen$ive - I'm already over my budget!!
post #138 of 467 Old 02-06-2012, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi RT,

Thanx for the compliment. I'm thinking of Monitor Audio speakers, but it's not set in stone yet. I want something that goes well with the Yammy 3010 but not to expen$ive - I'm already over my budget!!

I hear you on the budget, way over on mine, but I guess that is the way it goes. Nice receiver I have the little brother the 1010 and really like it. Still very new to me so I'm still learning what it can do.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #139 of 467 Old 02-13-2012, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter

I'm Back!!

I've decided last year to "further my horizons...." and enrolled for a two year course at my old university, beginning this year. What have I done!? To go back to studying after 15 years is no joke, worst of all, it's influencing my HT build! Sooooo...... I'm trying to do my assignments, research and studies AND do a little Theater-building (to take a break form the books) so progress is going to be a little slower than I would like. Eish, what have I done?????

Anyway, lets get back to some "pitcher postin"

I've received a parcel some days ago:

Looks much more interesting than what it is. Wanna guess?

It's my grille for the aircon box! Yes! at! long! last! I've ordered (and paid) for this thing on the 14th of November last year and the guy told me I should have it " in about two weeks time". Nearly 3 months and a lot of phonecalls later......WORST service I got from any company since I've started this build. Let's just leave it at that, at least I got it in one piece!

After some cutting and painting and screwing (not the nice kind ) the cover panel is finished and in place

post #140 of 467 Old 02-13-2012, 07:11 AM

Quote:

After some cutting and painting and screwing (not the nice kind ) the cover panel is finished and in place

Too funny!
post #141 of 467 Old 02-13-2012, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

With the first column I covered with the fabric I didn't take enough pics to make it clear how I did it. I thought I'll take more and give a better explination of how it's done. Maybe someone will find something helpfull in the process.

Firstly, I lay the column on the fabric and cut it about 5cm or 2" longer on both the top and bottom sides.

Next step is to line up the one side of the column to the one edge of the fabric, again with a 2" extra for folding over the MDF.

After this I cut the fabric where it'll meet the upright part of the MDF - see pic for 1000 words.

Next I pull the fabric tight over the edge of the MDF and staple it in the middle only with my trusty (or not so trusty staple gun, as you'll see later on) staple gun.

I then staple it in the left and right corners while pulling the fabric thight.

Next step involves pulling and stapling and pulling and stapling till the one halve is done and repeats the process on the other half.

Look very carefull now! - remember, the closer you watch, the less you'll see! It's not magic folks, it's just the sleight of hand..... or just the other side of the column

This is taken form the other side. The column is flipped over once onto the side that's just been stapled.

I now spray the one side of the column with spray-glue and the part of the fabric that will come into contact with it.

Next step is to tip over the column onto the other side, so that the glue part is facing upwards.

Again perspectives switched so that we are looking from the other side again.

Now pull the fabric over. The glue is not SO tacky that it'll stick right away. Lay it nice and evenly over the column.

post #142 of 467 Old 02-13-2012, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

Next step is pulling the fabric tight and even and laying it down onto the glue. First wipe with the hand from the stapled edge outwards to smooth out any "bubbles" or wrinkles and to make sure it's flat and tightly streched and the roll the fabric hard onto the column with a rubber roller.

Now tip the column onto it's back again and spray the top parts and fabric with the spray-glue.

And repeat the pulling tight and rubbing and rolling and caressing....

Again, tip over and repeat, making sure to PULL tight everytime before rolling onto the wood to get sharp edges and nice, flat surfaces.

Flip the column over again so that the last glued part is on the bottom again

Trim off the extra fabric and again leave 2" to fold over and staple on the inside again as in the beginning - this time you have to pull very thight before stapeling.

Let me catch my breath for a while - phew!
post #143 of 467 Old 02-13-2012, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Cut the corner flaps off and fold in, pull tight and staple.

Fold in all the edges, pull tight and staple, and staple, and staple, and staple some more.

And now, if you turn the column on its back, and it looks like Dracula's covered coffin, the you know you did it right!

Now boys and girls, the tricky parts begin:

To ensure I have a continuous piece of fabric going from the front of the column over the edge onwards onto flat part, the fabric must be cut just right so that there is enough fabric to cover the flat top part and also enough left to go around the upright parts, if you know what I mean. (I hope the pics will explain better)

Gotta run now, working day is over so I'll post the rest of the story later tonight.
post #144 of 467 Old 02-13-2012, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

I cut along the edge of the MDF with a sharp box-cutting knife (or whatever you call this kinda knife thing) from top to bottom and does the same on the other side.

The column is flipped over once more (is someone keeping score of the times this thing has been turned over)
I then laid a piece of MDF on the inside of the fabric, making a sharp 90 deg corner.

The next step involves pushing the strip of MDF on the inside down and out at the same time while cutting from the other side.

When finished it looks like this:

Repeat on the other side:

and you end up with someting looking like this after the the top flat part is measured and the fabric is cut accordingly on both sides:

Stand the column upright and spray the MDF as well as the fabric with glue. I use an old piece of corrugated cardboard to protect the rest of the fabric form getting sprayed.

After fabric and column is sprayed:

and now lay the fabric down, roll hard with the roller, put a steel ruler in the corners and cut the excess fabric to make a nice, clean corner with no visible seams.

Repeat on other side of the column as well.

The final step is to use sharp scissors to trim the side edges.

Ta-daaaaaa!!

post #145 of 467 Old 02-13-2012, 07:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Good Morning Everybody, (it's morning here, anyway). A little update should be in order I think.

One down - 9 to go!

I love how the front of the room is turning out. Very cool. (minus the ceiling fan)
post #146 of 467 Old 02-13-2012, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Man! I'm exhausted and all I did is read about what you did! Well done they are turning out looking fantastic! Keep it up!

Regards,

RTROSE

post #147 of 467 Old 02-13-2012, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Jon_B,

Thank you. Like I've said before, I hope in the end that the picture before my eyes will match the picture in my head. I am thinking of just giving the old ceiling fan a good clean and maybe a coat of paint. (just kidding - that thing must be outta there soon. I do like the bright light it gives off now while I'm still building though, but that's the only reason that keeps it hanging there for now.)

RT, my friend, you are right, it's very exhausting doing this, so I'll just do one every now and then when I can gather enough courage. The worst part was me getting a terrible headache and a little high from inhaling all that glue fumes!

So far I really like the outcome of the columns.
post #148 of 467 Old 02-14-2012, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Very inspiring!
You do very nice work, with attention to detail.
post #149 of 467 Old 02-14-2012, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

I finished another part of the HT that I was actually looking forward to. The panels that houses the downlights is now covered with velvet and already changed the whole look of the soffits.

I went to the fabric store without my wife. Walked to the velvet section and started "feeling" the stuff. I wanted velvet with a little texture, but not as bold as crushed velvet - more subtle. The owner of the shop came to me and asked "What do you actually want to do with the material?" I should have told her "I'm a drag-queen and want something flashy for an evening gown" but decided against it. Rather than going through the whole shebang of trying to explain to her what a fabric panel is and what exactly I'm building is just told her "I want to cover something with this dark material and this will do just fine thank you, How much is it?"

"Yes," she said. "That's marked down to R100-00 per meter (about $12-50) and work very nice for an overcoat."

Yea, whatever, just cut the damn thing and get it over with, I thought, "Give me 3 meters thank you"

Eventually I got home and laid out the fabric on our dining room table like my mother used to do when I was still a little boy, and she was making clothes for people.

I laughed at myself thinking of that song: "Man, I feel like a woman!"

I laid the frames onto the fabric and cut all the pieces for the panels, leaving enough to fold over the edges to staple.

While I was busy cutting the fabric, my wife came home and asked me if I knew what I was doing. "Of course yes!" I told her, hoping that I don't screw it up.

After all the fabric was cut up, I took it all to the HT to do some seriuos stapling! I first laid down some plastic sheets on the riser to work on.

I tried my skill on the one little "mini-me".

Easy-peasy, not looking to cheesy! (I hope)

It was straight sailing with the next 8 panels 'till: "pheeeup, pheeeup" (soft farting sounds) came form the stapelgun and no more "Ka-du!!, ka-du!!" as before! I tried everything and eventually screwed the back open and took out the piston, plastic round thingy and everything - all seemed ok. By the way, this is a brand new gun, only fired the few staples (1900) in the 4 columns i've covered so far.

Put everything back and then the magazine won't close properly. After dismanteling the rest of the bloody thing I found the culprit

This little piece of staple got stuck somewhere in the works. I whacked the gun to the floor and it jumped out form wherever it was doing its evil job.
(the pencil is for reference - look at the little piece in front of it!)

Put everything back together and: Ka-du! ka-du!

Eventually all the panels were finished, the downlights installed and put into place inside the soffits. Once again, .....I'm happy

post #150 of 467 Old 02-14-2012, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

Many thanks, BBDrums
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page