I've made great progess - it really starts to look like something now!
All the panels are finished, as well as the chair rails and top cover part of the panels.
This pic shows the start of the chair rails:
The things start of with two pieces of MDF, one is 45mm broad - it's the part that will go in between the two panels, and the other is 65mm broad, it's the part that will show on the front side.
Next was to get the mid-line on both sides to align the small piece in the middle of the big one and also for a guide on the other side were to shoot the brad nails through.
Put one the glue:
And "stick it down, stick it down oh babyyyy, stick down...." (I'm in a good mood today
Then come the nails - ka-du, ka-du:
We end up with this T-pieces:
Now comes the real work - to cover them with fabric and add the halfround in the mix. I cut some of the remaining fabric into strips, making sure the red felvety part is in the centre.
Using the spray-on glue I covered both the backside of the fabric strip
and the front side of the MDF:
and stick it down while pulling it tight:
Next I sprayed both sides with glue
and folded the material over and stuck it down.
I repeated the whole process and ended up with 8 partly finished chair rails:
I cut 16 pieces of 19mm meranti halfround, two each of the same length for each rail:
The next thing I did was to cut strips of the same black material that I've used for the columns, again, two strips for each rail:
I placed the fabric strip, face down, onto the chair-rail, flush to the one side:
and stapled it from top to bottom while pulling it thight:
I put down the halfround on top of the black strip, also with its edge on to the edge of the rail:
Using brad nails again, I nailed the halfround to the rail as shown:
After turning it over, I cut off the protruding nails with a side-cutter and filed it down to the wood with a metal file. I the folded the black material over the halfround:
And after changing the brad nails to staples in the airgun AGAIN
I stapled the fabric to the back of the rail:
After turning it over, It looks like this:
One side down, one to go.
Both sides done and ready to finish of the edges:
I didn't show the edges' stapling in detail, but it is basically the same as with the panel corners. Here's the result of the process:
Here is how the chair rail looks installed between the two panels:
After wrapping all 8 chair rails, it was time to do the little ones for the panels around the doorframe. Here's a pic of the little one before I trimmed the loose frays of material: (looks kinda like a little peck.. never mind
Here's the bigger one. The edges on these two had to be very neat because part of it will show after the trim on the door is put on.
At last, the last pieces of chair-rail is installed:
And now, I give to you, straigth from the press, with chair-rails and top cover panels installed - THE FINISHED PANELS!!
Here's a close-up side shot of the chair-rail - I'm one happy camper