Theater room conversion questions /suggestions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-19-2011, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi, I've been lurking on this avs site for quite some time now and finally doing finishing home theater. I got my EPSON 8350 install about 6 months ago, but now have time to spend on converting a play room into theater room during the holidays. I need some advice on creating a theater room. I have 3 small windows in the room that I cover up with curtains. I’m going to paint the entire room black or brown.

1. What color should I use? Black or brown?
2. I have a craiglist offer to paint the room but he will spray it instead of roll on. Is there a disadvantage from spraying?
3. Should I paint the 2 closet doors too? Or leave those white? Paint the ceiling too right?
4. Now that the room is painted black/brown with curtains …. Does this mean it’s light control? Or light control means complete darkness? Light still come through the side of the curtains a bit during the day time.
5. Can get a white screen now instead of gray screen after it’s painted?
6. I noticed that the 122in screens are the most popular. After measuring it off, my wife wants it bigger. So I’ll probably get 133in. But, will going from 120in to 133in affect the quality of image a lot? Brightness, clarity, etc . Will it also affect the way you watch a movie? IE: more eye movement / straining because the screen is larger. We been using the wall at @135in for a couple of months now, and it seems fine. Right now we are using the white wall and my wife say it looks fine without the screen. I want a screen though. I’ve been looking at the electric screen from monoprice for quite some time now.

Any advice appreciated. Thank you much.
LL
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-19-2011, 01:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Welcome and time to have some fun!

1. Totally your call on color scheme. A full black theater is ideal for video performance, but feels pretty oppressive to most folks during anytime the video isn't on. I personally would not really like an all black room. I just did my temp theater here in brown, and like it quite a bit.
2. No real issue between spraying or rolling. Just make sure you use a flat paint, no glossy paint.
3. Yes on ceiling, you don't want to have the walls dark and the ceiling white, that will look odd. You should pick a complimentary color though, don't use the exact same color as your walls it will feel overwhelming. I would paint the doors yes, or they will stick out as big white rectangles.
4. Light controlled simply means you can control the amount of light in the room.
5. Screen color is best determined by matching to your projector. The 8350 is bright and has good contrast so a gray screen probably isn't required.
6. Congratulations on having a wife that wants it bigger. If you have been using a 135" for a while now and are used to it (and like it), then just stick with what you personally enjoy. Yes there is technically a decrease in how bright the image will appear going from 122 to 135, but since you are already used to that image size, I'd stick with that.

Good luck!

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-19-2011, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

@warren ...

Thanks so much for your response. You've answered all my question. I will follow your advice. If i didn't post, I would have painted the ceiling the same color, and probably regret it. I'll will go with 133in screen then.
I've decided to get the monoprice screen.

I'll post pictures once its done. Thanks again warren!
post #4 of 8 Old 12-19-2011, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenP View Post

Welcome and time to have some fun!

6. Congratulations on having a wife that wants it bigger.

Good luck!

I knew that was coming
post #5 of 8 Old 12-19-2011, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Also, regarding the light controlled ... I won't be able to control some of the light coming from the curtains reason why I was concerned about getting the white or grey screen. So white screen should be ok during the daytime with minimal light correct?
post #6 of 8 Old 12-19-2011, 05:21 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by greddy09sc View Post

Also, regarding the light controlled ... I won't be able to control some of the light coming from the curtains reason why I was concerned about getting the white or grey screen. So white screen should be ok during the daytime with minimal light correct?

It will be fine. A tiny bit of light spill from the curtains wont affect the white.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-23-2012, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Well i finally finish painting my room. I painted the ceiling,trim,and doors black. The walls a dark purple. I messed up painting on the doors by getting flat black. My doors are oil based so the flat black paint easily chips off. I wanted black so there wouldn't be any reflective. Oh well, too late now I guess

Anyways, I'm ready to hang my screen thats been sitting in the garage for over 3 months. I got a 133in motorized tension tab screen from monoprice. The power cord hangs out from the left. Before I hang it up, how do you hide the power cord? I'm thinking about drilling a hole into the wall, behind the screen box, to run the power cord. Is that how yall do it too?

Excuse the bad picture, It's from my phone.
LL
post #8 of 8 Old 03-23-2012, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by greddy09sc View Post

I'm thinking about drilling a hole into the wall, behind the screen box, to run the power cord. Is that how yall do it too?

If the power cord is a common two or three prong connector like you would find on most appliances, I believe running it into a wall cavity violates electrical code. If you don't have a wall outlet near enough and can't or won't add one, check out "powerbridge." It's code-compliant option for hiding power cables in walls. The name brand stuff is kinda pricey, but there are ways to buy appropriate parts and do it yourself for a good bit less money.

Fred

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page