Theater Build 2.0 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 12-20-2011, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
We moved over the summer leaving behind our first theater. The new house has better (and more interesting (challenging) space). We are to the point where we need to create some separation from storage, mechanical, adult, and kid space.
I was fortunate last time to get to do the theater first. This time the kids will get a playroom, we will get a storage area, and I will get a shell of a theater to be completed at a later date.
I am struggling with the layout of the theater and am creating this thread to get some input and assistance with maximizing the space for the theater space as it will be the most demanding.

The first picture is a sketch provided to give approximate dimensions of the space.

Next is a quick google sketch of the space in 3D.

Green - theater approx. 15' wide in the front 17' in the back, and 31' deep.
Orange - steps and mechanical (arrow represents down steps)
Blue - playroom
Purple - storage

The last 3 is the area right before we moved in.

First is the green theater space from above. The major challenge is the post. Its 10 feet from the back wall and 5ish feet from the left wall. There are also 2 beams to contend with. The ceiling is 8 feet to the bottom of the joists and 6' 10" to the bottom of the beams.

Second is the purple space standing in the green space. Narrowish with a sump at one end and some pipes on the left.

Last, standing in the green area looking at the steps. The post would mark the front left corner of the green theater space. Also shown are the mechanicals, steps and the proposed play area on the other side.

I'm open to all suggestions but want a room that can handle a scope screen and 2 rows of seats and potentially a raised seating area. I am working on a sketch now that populates the theater space a bit to show what I am thinking.

Thanks for your input. If you want to see version 1.0 the link is in my signature!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 12-20-2011, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I'd put the theater in the purple space so you're not dealing with cross beams and that column in the green space. I'd guess there must be one hell of a load on the column in the green space since it's not placed mid-span of the beam.

In the purple space, you could build a false wall to conceal the sump pit.

Widen out the room 18" beyond the column shown in the second photo and enclose the structural column inside a fake "theater column".

Build another matching "theater column" on the left side to house the plumbing stack.

A soffit on either side would take care of the beam on the right and plumbing on the left.

Your false screen wall can hide the jog in the foundation wall.

High Desert Theater - work in progress
Building Bass - Subs

Surrounds - Easy as Pi

Storage - unRAID unDELL

post #3 of 25 Old 12-20-2011, 02:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Building off Petew's suggestion, put the storage in the blue. Play room in part/most of the green. Consider a "Getaway" style pass through depending on sound isolation needs?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1022589&page=1
post #4 of 25 Old 12-21-2011, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Guys, thanks for the replies! I do like the space both of you are suggesting. Less obstructions to work with. I can actually slide the theater further from the sump wall and just create that as storage space with a separate door.

As much as I like the idea of creating a pass through (thinking giant stone fireplace that spins to reveal a hidden room) - ok may not. If I put the kids playroom in the space behind the theater the kids will need to cut through the theater to get to their playroom - which really means they will start playing in the theater... not happening. However, I can leave enough room behind it to have a hallway to get to that space.
The thing I don't like about this space is it's narrow. 13 feet before any walls. can make it work, my last theater was 13 feet wide and we got 2 rows of three quite comfortably. I like the idea of kicking the sidewall out 18" and hiding the post in a column. I'm not sure how it would work though as I wouldn't want a column that is 18" deep. Unless I'm not understanding the idea correctly. Here nor there, I will mock it up in sketchup and post it when I have it done.

Here is the green space mock up with 2 options. The first one has two columns one hiding the post. These would break up the back where we could create a kitchenette. I would use the columns to put rear surrounds for a 9.1 config.
The other removes the columns and replaces with an open wall. This also creates a kitchenette space but allows for a bar area to sit at since eating in the theater seems to be a regular past time. I would be a little more challenging for rears speakers.

I'm not sure what acoustical nightmares I would be creating with either scenario. Couple positives are creating a hallway to access the theater - this allows 2 doors and the ability to keep it pretty quiet inside and out. The other is a great space right outside the theater door for an equipment closet. Good location, close to the projector, outside the theater but also very accessible.

Thanks again for the feedback. I'll be posting the other sketch as soon as I get a chance to mock it.

Judson
post #5 of 25 Old 12-21-2011, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

OK, sketch 3. This gives me a room 24 feet deep and 12+ feet wide. This can be a very traditional space. Good option but a little boring compared to the other spaces with kitchenettes, hallways, and equipment rooms. On the flip side it's also an easier space to create because I don't have to deal with as many beams. I did have a thought on how to get around the beams - create 2 recessed areas in the ceiling. I can hide the projector in one of them.

Suggestions welcome!
post #6 of 25 Old 12-21-2011, 01:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 52
Three leading questions:
1) How many people do you want to sit in the theater?
2) How big (overall dimensions) do you want the theater to be?
3) What is your preferred screen size?

I see an option that you haven't yet drawn out, but it depends on how you answer the three questions above...
post #7 of 25 Old 12-21-2011, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenP View Post

Three leading questions:
1) How many people do you want to sit in the theater?
2) How big (overall dimensions) do you want the theater to be?
3) What is your preferred screen size?

I see an option that you haven't yet drawn out, but it depends on how you answer the three questions above...

1) we have 6 seats already so that would be the minimum. Ideally I would like 8.
2). 15x24 would be pretty good space.
3) 120"-130" 2.35:1 screen - prefer speakers behind the screen.

Thanks WarrenP
post #8 of 25 Old 12-21-2011, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I like your layout in the "green space". I assumed you were thinking about putting the screen on the foundation wall in the first pic. What is the distance from the screen to the jog in the foundation wall? Can you put up a dimensioned floor plan?

High Desert Theater - work in progress
Building Bass - Subs

Surrounds - Easy as Pi

Storage - unRAID unDELL

post #9 of 25 Old 12-21-2011, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Petew,

Thanks, I like that space too. Just want to be sure that I consider all of the options. My first post has basic dimensions in it. That area is 17x21 (listed as 1sts bsmt (357)). The issue with placing the screen on the foundation wall is the post that is located 10 feet from the back wall and 5 feet from the side wall. It would really limit the view of the screen.

Thanks,
Judson
post #10 of 25 Old 12-21-2011, 09:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

After seeing the actual dimensions, not so sure about this, just did a very fast photoshop hack...

You can put one set of your seating between the posts next to your stairs. The posts can be part of the design, add some arches, integrate a drink ledge next to the outside seats, etc... Then you would have the front row, and then the screen. Depending on the dimensions, you could do 4 and 4 or 3 in the back and 5 in the front, giving you the front center money seat.

It won't matter that the back row is under the duct/beam as no one will be standing there, only sitting. Somewhere on my hard drive I have a photo of a very nice theater that made nooks in the back due to posts like this.

Knowing the actual dimensions now, not sure if it will work, but is an option and might trigger a new line... Have fun and keep posting pics!

post #11 of 25 Old 12-21-2011, 09:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

OK, I found it! (This build might have been detailed here as well, can't recall and my images folder is not sorted well enough...) Anyway, look at how they did the back of this theater around the posts. You could do something like that as well, that is what I was thinking of, only this image illustrates it a billion times better than my 5 second photoshop job!

You could make your layout almost exactly like this, only two rows instead of three and a wider center section in the back row.

post #12 of 25 Old 12-22-2011, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenP View Post

OK, I found it! (This build might have been detailed here as well, can't recall and my images folder is not sorted well enough...) Anyway, look at how they did the back of this theater around the posts. You could do something like that as well, that is what I was thinking of, only this image illustrates it a billion times better than my 5 second photoshop job!

You could make your layout almost exactly like this, only two rows instead of three and a wider center section in the back row.

Nice picture. I like this idea. I'll kick it around and take some measurements.
post #13 of 25 Old 12-22-2011, 12:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Nice pic Warren.

The other move I have seen is people incorporating a column in with a bar set up, some times mirroring it up for symmetry like your lounge zone. Though I can't remember a specific build at the moment.
post #14 of 25 Old 12-22-2011, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 56
That is a very cool design, very nice looking - I like the look of the casual rear seating. However, I wouldn't want to fit with my head 6" from a surround speaker. Maybe its just intended for decoration and not seating though?
post #15 of 25 Old 12-23-2011, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_pilgrim View Post

Nice pic Warren.

The other move I have seen is people incorporating a column in with a bar set up, some times mirroring it up for symmetry like your lounge zone. Though I can't remember a specific build at the moment.

oh... lounge zone, I like that! I remember seeing that too, also can't remember specifically which theater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

That is a very cool design, very nice looking - I like the look of the casual rear seating. However, I wouldn't want to fit with my head 6" from a surround speaker. Maybe its just intended for decoration and not seating though?

Thanks Brad! I think the rear surrounds would be in front of the bar seating/columns separating the "lounge zone" so I think you would be outside of the surround bubble. I think that's the space so I just need to keep mocking it up so I can get it laid out right.

Judson
post #16 of 25 Old 01-07-2012, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'm working on projector location. I want to put a hush box in the soffit. I have two options. The first, forward of the front beam with 11' 6" of throw. The second, forward of the back beam with 23' of throw. I'm using the AE7000 calculator as the default for now. I haven't settled on a projector but think that I will need to go LCD to get the placement flexibility.
Concerns... the front location won't get me the 120" wide 2.40:1 screen I want from under 12'. The back location will be partially blocked by the front soffit. I need to work on a calculation to see how low the projector would need to be vs how low the screen will need to be to accomodate the longer throw. I think the Panasonic will throw from 29'.

Anyone have any input with the projector they are using?
post #17 of 25 Old 10-30-2012, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey Judson, any progress?
post #18 of 25 Old 10-30-2012, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Progress would be a strong word... However, we have been working pretty hard on coming up with a basement layout that appeals to the needs of the family. The sticky point seems to be media room or home theater. We loved theater 1.0 but occasionally found it to be a little awkward for fist bumps during the big game, etc. So until that question is answered no hammers shall fly. We do however intend to get this project going this fall. Fall cleanup mostly behind should be able to get this into another gear besides park.
post #19 of 25 Old 10-31-2012, 09:33 AM

Thanks, I've subscribed.
post #20 of 25 Old 11-15-2012, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

ok, we've come to a few conclusions. We have however decided (yes I have a very cool wife) to go with a dedicated theater in the basement. It will closely resemble this layout:

One difference is we will not have an entryway like the one in the picture. We will do double (yikes) or a single entry door directly into the theater instead of the hallway.

I don't know if we will get this kicked off before the 1st of the year but winter is always a good time to start a project like this.
post #21 of 25 Old 11-15-2012, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 93
I liked v1.0. Cant wait to see v2.0 come together.
post #22 of 25 Old 11-20-2012, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

I liked v1.0. Cant wait to see v2.0 come together.

This one should be really fun to build. More space, more budget (don't tell the wife), more knowledge.
post #23 of 25 Old 11-20-2012, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by judsonp View Post

More space, more budget (don't tell the wife), more knowledge.

Three steps in the right direction.
post #24 of 25 Old 12-04-2012, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Moving slow but I know you guys love pictures.

Let there be tools...

Home Depot has a deal on this set up right now.
post #25 of 25 Old 12-05-2012, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'm starting to problem solve some of these little issues that will be in the way once we get rolling. First up, duct work. I've been trying to figure out how to get this tucked into the joist.

I can't re-route it because there is a cold air return blocking the route back to the trunk.

I'm afraid to hack up the joist for fear of creating structural damage. I did find this on the web. Has anyone used one or had any experience with these?

http://www.metwood.com/products/reinforcer

It looks like a potential resolution to this issue. I'm open to other suggestions if anyone has had success in the past.

Thanks!
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page