LeGier Ranch Theater - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 12-22-2011, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I always wanted a theater/dedicated listening room. When I found this house it had plenty of extra room, and I felt the time was right. My initial thoughts were to make the extra room into a band practice/recording studio type of space. Then I realized I watch movies 4-6 nights a week and play about 1.

I started converting this spare room about a year and a half ago, knocking out two walls. As things go, eventually I removed the ceiling so I could run wiring, etc.

I want to emphasize I did ALL this work MYSELF. My better half helped along the way of course, when she could, but frankly I enjoyed the process. I bought many tools, including a drywall lift, to complete the project.

This is after the wall came out. I had to repair some rotten wood, etc.

The trifold screen is hiding a hot water heater.

After dropping the ceiling, I rented an insulation blower to blow the removed insulation over the former carport, which will soon be converted into a sun room. This was probably one of my least favorite moments during the process.

Back in the shop, I prepard the sink and counter made from an old dining table I made 20 years ago from a slab of maple. I stained the door at the same time.

Now, due to the fact that my wife can't find the folder where itunes put many of the photos she took (and I haven't bothered investigating), we jump ahead probably about 6-8 months later:

Building the riser. The paint was still drying on the walls and ceiling. I bought an airless paint sprayer and it worked OK. No baseboards or trim yet.

Riser getting carpet. This is cheap "black" carpet from Home Depot. It is really gray, but I didn't feel like searching high and low and can always replace it later.

A few other shots. This is where you're coming to the finish line and can begin to taste it.

Now we jump ahead (due to the aforementioned itunes issue....I'm a Windows guy).

The chairs were purchased off craigslist. The back row I drove 3 hours to Dallas for and the front row (motorized with bass shakers factory installed) I drove 4 hours to Houston for. They don't match perfectly, but for what I paid, I couldn't be happier. I installed Aura shakers in the rear seats by screwing them to some oak planks screwed to the frame. Always worried about overpowering them.

The equipment closet was existing. It turned out to be a very tight fit and something I would re-think given the chance. Of course, I built the rack. Didn't bother to paint it, but will in the future I'm sure. Still need a curtain or some other type of cover for the closet. The fan noise is not too bad though. After it gets a curtain, then I'll be worried about heat.

I love my turntable. Haven't listened to it yet in the new room.

I calibrated the Benq W6000 yesterday (those pics were taken last week I think). Using HCFR, AVSHD 709, Spyder II, I am very impressed with the PQ. Will post some pics later of the screen.

I was going for a rustic, western look. I think I achieved that. Whenever I made a mistake (a scratch here or there, bent nail etc., I'd just say, "well, it's rustic").

I still have pictures to hang:

I recieved my carton of OC703 this last week and will wrap those (2 x 4 x 2") and hang them in strategic locations in the next few weeks. Overall, I am happy with how things turned out. There are flaws (construction and design), but nothing that can't be improved upon going forward. Thanks to all here who helped get me to this point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-22-2011, 10:44 AM

Liked: 10
Very nice!
post #3 of 15 Old 12-22-2011, 01:26 PM

Liked: 14
I had to rip out my ceilings, too. It's a lot of work transforming a room that's already setup.

Nice job on your room! The texture on the walls are nice. (wish you had picked a different game for your pictures, though )

My home theater build thread
LEVEL 4: Center for Entertainment
post #4 of 15 Old 12-22-2011, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegravley View Post

(wish you had picked a different game for your pictures, though )

Sorry bout that!

Still have more to do and will try to post some more pics soon.

Thanks for the kind comments. It was ALOT of work, but knowing I did it all myself makes it that much more satisfying.
post #5 of 15 Old 12-23-2011, 09:06 AM

Liked: 10
I am really liking that wooden table turned counter set up! If you could explain more how you did that, that would be awesome!
post #6 of 15 Old 12-23-2011, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I searched for a photo but couldn't find one (at least one that didn't include other items). At any rate, I built the table in Guam in about 1992 from maple slabs I ran through a planer. Then I just glued them together. I put on the Envirotex coating but a buddy that helped me didn't mix it good enough, and one spot never did completely harden. We used the table off and on for the next 10 years or so, then it was in storage. I spent roughly a year off and on removing all the Envirotex (that's waht I call it...the thick clear resin). It was too nice of maple to just let go.

When I moved in this house and the theater idea came about, the table was getting used in some form or fashion.

To your question, basically all I did was slice one long edge and one short edge to form the backsplash. The are just glued and screwed on there. The table actually warped over the years and I had heavy weights on it in the shop to flatten it out for about 3 or 4 months. I stained it with Early American stain from Home depot. The secret I think was putting 4 or 5 coats of varnish on it and sanding in between each. Gave it that real pop.

The cabinets are just the plain prebuilt unfinished oak from Home Depot. The door of course is pine. And the trim around the mirror and baseboards (and soffit) is rough cedar, all stained the same color. I laugh and point to all the different woods and slightly different finishes they have....maple, pine, oak, cedar.

Cutting the hole for the sink for me was the point of no return. The sink is just siliconed on there with the plumbing kinda holding it down tight.

I do think it came out nice and I'm glad you liked it.
post #7 of 15 Old 12-23-2011, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Some screenshots I just took. Not reference quality, but the calibration sure paid off. This is an MKV from the HTPC.

Next project is to wrap the 6 2" OC703 panels and find a place to put them.

post #8 of 15 Old 12-23-2011, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Just a pic of the HTPC desktop. Actually it was the drawing for the entrance sign at the gate. It is 12' wide x 4' tall hanging 18' in the air. I superimposed it over a photo and added some 35mm effects in Photoshop.
post #9 of 15 Old 12-23-2011, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Given the two panaramas, was hoping someone could suggest locations for six pieces of 2' x 4' x 2" OC703. Should I go the Treatment thread for that?

Waiting for that info before I hang some stuff:

post #10 of 15 Old 01-01-2012, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thought I'd update things.

Hung that last photo:

Everyone got me something for the theater room for Christmas.....
these two:

Cool M&M dispenser:

Clock....looks like the video tape on this thing is actual tape with images on it:

Metal sign. Had to mount this on some stained oak:

Hung the Tombstone plaque (this thing actually looks way better than the photos would let on):

Put curtain over equipment closet. Doesn't block all fan noise, but helps. It does block all equipment lights though. Easily removable also.

Still have to find a place for this pic, but am waiting until I get the OC703 wrapped and hung first. In fact, may have to move some stuff that already up around for optimum placement of the 703.

General bar/concession area. Usually will make a batch of popcorn prior to the movie. But, that's what the pause button is for too!

Looking forward to next weeks project. Last week I was running some test tones from the Disney WOW BD, and got some buzzing from the woofers in the Klipsch KT-LCR center. Also, some dialog in The Thin Red Line (awesome PQ from Criterion) sounded chesty thick, making some passages difficult to understand. So, I ordered a rebuilt crossover from the fabulous Bob Crites . Bob also made the crossovers in my Forte IIs and La Scalas. And I also ordered two of these to replace the already mixed woofers in the center. Hopefully these changes will improve the midrange clarity of the dialog. Of course I will have to run Audyssey again after the surgery.

Will probably pull the center out about a half foot also prior to running Audyssey. May try to get one of these for it so it will match the Fortes and La Scalas. More on that next week.

Now, here's hoping Dallas can finally get the monkey off their back today.
post #11 of 15 Old 01-05-2012, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Alright....just got my replacement 6 1/2" drivers for the center channel....Klipsch KT-LCR. Was surprised they weren't even in their own box. Anyhow, no harm, no foul. Crossover due tomorrow so I'll probably begin the transplant then. I chose these Peerless drivers for their flat response in the upper bass/lower midrange. Most of the SPL/FQ graphs I looked at on Parts Express had this hump from about 200hz to 500hz. This corresponds closely with the chestiness I was hearing on male dialog.

FWIW, I did try to run some REW and TrueRTA tests on the center, so I could get a before and after. I was never happy with the results, mainly because it's been so long since I messed with either program that I've lost my touch. Of course, the reason I don't have to use those anymore is because of Audyssey...no more tweaking EQs and running tests after every change!

post #12 of 15 Old 01-06-2012, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Got the crossover today, so time for a transplant.

Mismatched woofers coming out. A few years ago, one quite, so I replaced it with I-don't-know-what. Nothing on it either.

KT-LCR crossover from Bob Crites. I think this may be the first one he's made, but don't quote me on that. It's a work of art IMO.

Old and new xovers....

Gutted and ready for installation of new stuff:

Crossover mounted. Bob put leads for the high input and LF input. I just assumed this is how to attach it to the terminal, as there is no provision for bi-amping. Love how they include the velcro to mount the crossover.

The speaker already had two large pieces of the gray foam in it. If I had used it, I would have had to cut it down due to the size of the new crossover. Had this stuff laying around, so stuffed some in:

And in the center, making room for the horn:

Ready to mount horn. I put that self adhesive rubber on there years ago after reading somewhere that it would reduce vibrations or what-not. No idea if it does anything at all. I should point out that the tweeter diaphram is the same in my Fortes....the Crites titanium one.

Waalaaa! Ready for a sound check later this evening.

Will post after a few listening test. Should probably re-run Audyssey too. BTW, it measures 4 ohms static.
post #13 of 15 Old 01-06-2012, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Installed and working fine. No Audyssey yet, so premature to comment on whether these changes will achieve my goal of removing mid bass heaviness from male voices. I will say it does sound "different" with the current Audyssey EQ. (I also added the logo to the grill...a little off-center)

post #14 of 15 Old 05-06-2012, 08:59 PM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by legierk View Post

Some screenshots I just took. Not reference quality, but the calibration sure paid off. This is an MKV from the HTPC.

What flick is this???
post #15 of 15 Old 05-07-2012, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page