Redskinema - Nearing completion! - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 606 Old 04-23-2013, 08:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Just read through your build thread. Great work. Totally different than how I'm working it. I have seen a lot of people that build the soffits and run the wires and electrical after completely sealing off the room. I had to ditch that idea because the space I was in was narrow, had my electrical panel in it, water main, plumbing, and HVAC I couldn't move. Someday I look forward to being able to make a truly isolated room like you have. I'd be very interested in how loud you can go with the door closed standing in the rest of your basement and hardly notice it.

Great design, excellent woodwork, and I'd never heard of the hue lights until I saw your thread - they look pretty neat. If you look at my thread you'll see I'm hooked on the lighting. It is interesting how each builder's personality comes out, what they focus on, and how each space is used to its best potential. I'll keep following along.

Electrical engineer by education. Currently a system engineer. I like home automation, theaters, and blinking lights.
Someday it'll be more of an actual hobby - if my employer would ever let me go home!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 606 Old 04-24-2013, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielrg View Post

Just read through your build thread. Great work. Totally different than how I'm working it. I have seen a lot of people that build the soffits and run the wires and electrical after completely sealing off the room. I had to ditch that idea because the space I was in was narrow, had my electrical panel in it, water main, plumbing, and HVAC I couldn't move. Someday I look forward to being able to make a truly isolated room like you have. I'd be very interested in how loud you can go with the door closed standing in the rest of your basement and hardly notice it.

Great design, excellent woodwork, and I'd never heard of the hue lights until I saw your thread - they look pretty neat. If you look at my thread you'll see I'm hooked on the lighting. It is interesting how each builder's personality comes out, what they focus on, and how each space is used to its best potential. I'll keep following along.

Thanks for the comments. Im going to go check out your build now. The hue bulbs work well in the theater. I was glad to only have to wire 1 zone, have 1 switch, etc. And even though 59 a bulb seems expensive, once you start adding up controllers and trying to buy a RGB bulb its cheaper in the end. We did the wiring outself but I gotta imagine an electrician would be expensive to wire a bunch of zones

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #273 of 606 Old 04-24-2013, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I just made arrangments to go to Romans warehouse at lunch today to check out his Fusion chairs. Im trying to decide between the leather or bonded leather. Based on what ive read on here Im pretty sure Im going to get the escapes

post #274 of 606 Old 04-24-2013, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINSnCANES View Post

I just made arrangments to go to Romans warehouse at lunch today to check out his Fusion chairs. Im trying to decide between the leather or bonded leather. Based on what ive read on here Im pretty sure Im going to get the escapes

I am going to be in the market for 4 chairs when I get to the end of my reno. Where is his warehouse? I am in MD...

A/V Gear: EPSON 5030UB | 100" Fixed Mount | Samsung UN46F5500 LED TV | Yamaha RX-A1010 | Emotiva XPA-3 | OPPO BDP-103 | Panamax M5300 | Pro-ject Carbon Debut | Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk 65RT (L/R SUR) | Polk RC80i (L/R REAR SUR) | PSA XV-15 | Sonos

post #275 of 606 Old 04-24-2013, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I know my name is with the Redskins but im a transplant, I live in New Jersey now. I grew up in Maryland. Romans warehouse is in New Jersey. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better chair for the money. The fact it has a power head rest, power seat, chilled up holder, usb port, comes with the tray, springs for support. I really liked them

post #276 of 606 Old 04-24-2013, 01:32 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 612
I've lost count of the number of my clients that have been happy with Roman and his chairs. I can't remember one unhappy customer.

PROJECTS:

post #277 of 606 Old 04-24-2013, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

My fabric came today that I need to make all the speaker grills in my columns!

Carpet guy comes to measure on friday!

post #278 of 606 Old 04-25-2013, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Im getting wires I need for the room. Does anyone run two HDMI lines to their projector? Mine has multiple inputs but I cant think of why it wouldnt just come from the receiver.

post #279 of 606 Old 04-25-2013, 07:57 AM

I ran two just to be safe. Here is what I used:

HDMI

A/V Gear: EPSON 5030UB | 100" Fixed Mount | Samsung UN46F5500 LED TV | Yamaha RX-A1010 | Emotiva XPA-3 | OPPO BDP-103 | Panamax M5300 | Pro-ject Carbon Debut | Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk 65RT (L/R SUR) | Polk RC80i (L/R REAR SUR) | PSA XV-15 | Sonos

post #280 of 606 Old 04-25-2013, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnapolisSony View Post

I ran two just to be safe. Here is what I used:

HDMI

I was looking at the same. i guess its not a big deal to run too.

I also am not sure what cables I need to run to control my projector and cineslide. Im using the roomie app so im not sure if I should just run an IR blaster up there for the two, or a RS232. I think if I did that Id have to create custom commands though an dim not sure if I know how.

post #281 of 606 Old 04-25-2013, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:

I was looking at the same. i guess its not a big deal to run too.

I also am not sure what cables I need to run to control my projector and cineslide. Im using the roomie app so im not sure if I should just run an IR blaster up there for the two, or a RS232. I think if I did that Id have to create custom commands though an dim not sure if I know how.

I ran power, HDMI, network, an extra cat5e for other low voltage (rs232, relays, whatever else).  Even if you control the cinelside and projector with IR today, you will likely control your future projector via IP/network.  Scott (Getgray) can tell you what all of the options are for controlling the cineslide.

If you are switching video sources via a receiver, there really isn't much reason to run two HDMI cables. If it goes bad, use the old one to pull the new one through.

Nick

post #282 of 606 Old 04-26-2013, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Should I just run a serial cable for RS232 or just run cat6 cables and put an adapter on the end that converts it to serial? I have plenty of network cable to run. I think Scott told me before the cineslide is IR, triggers, or RS232.

post #283 of 606 Old 04-26-2013, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35

You can run the cable with no connector on it.  Then just add the connector you need.  You can buy a serial connector that will work with cat5e.

post #284 of 606 Old 04-26-2013, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGiovas View Post

You can run the cable with no connector on it.  Then just add the connector you need.  You can buy a serial connector that will work with cat5e.

yea? thats good to know i had no idea. I bought 1000 feet of cat6 just to run a few to where I wanted tvs in the basement and to the projector, front of the stage, etc. I asumed id need adapters but thatll be easier just putting a different connection on the end. Thanks!

post #285 of 606 Old 04-26-2013, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I just checked the manual for the cineslide and its a RJ45 connection to control with RS232.

Im not sure how ill get roomie to talk to it. I think roomie always does RS232 or serial but Im not really sure. i guess I can make the other end of the cable a serial cable and connect it to the itach that way. I guess I also need to figure out how to create a custom device in roomie now.

post #286 of 606 Old 04-26-2013, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I had the room measured for carpet today. Also, I leveled my horrible floor but was surprisingly easy and didn't use as much as I expected. I had a big dip an inch low. I only used two bags. If I had used three bags I could have made the floor pristine but no need. I just needed it to make it better so you don't notice it under the carpet.

post #287 of 606 Old 04-26-2013, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Oh and I had to replace part if my soffit because if where I put the supports. Ill post pics later to explain. I put up two more pieces of wood work but now I'm out of plywood.

Next weekend I'm planning another marathon weekend! I want it done!

post #288 of 606 Old 04-26-2013, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

I just checked the manual for the cineslide and its a RJ45 connection to control with RS232.

Im not sure how ill get roomie to talk to it. I think roomie always does RS232 or serial but Im not really sure. i guess I can make the other end of the cable a serial cable and connect it to the itach that way. I guess I also need to figure out how to create a custom device in roomie now.

At my work we use these RJ45 to DB9 converters all the time for racking up systems. We have a big terminal server that takes RJ45 (looks like a network switch but all the connections are actual terminal/serial port connections) and we'll use these to connect to devices with DB9 connectors.

Some device's serial ports have really weird pinouts so sometimes we have to wire them funky. But Cat5e/6 always works for any connections we've ever made. We prefer to just adapt the standard network cables so we can use them interchangeably but of course do what works for you. I guess the bottom line is from experience I wouldn't worry about running cat6 and using it for RS232 connections.

http://www.amazon.com/SF-Cable-Male-Modular-Adapter/dp/B0016RO20U

Electrical engineer by education. Currently a system engineer. I like home automation, theaters, and blinking lights.
Someday it'll be more of an actual hobby - if my employer would ever let me go home!

post #289 of 606 Old 05-01-2013, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Just dropped off my money to pay Roman for 7 Escapes! Chairs come in later this month. Gotta get everything finished!

post #290 of 606 Old 05-01-2013, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Carpet AND chairs can mean only one thing. The finish line is in sight. Keep your foot on the gas.

Spaceman Theater Build

post #291 of 606 Old 05-01-2013, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

Carpet AND chairs can mean only one thing. The finish line is in sight. Keep your foot on the gas.

Lol I hope so. It's more of a leap of faith and kick in as the ass. The rule is you don't buy anything until you're ready but I figure if its coming ill have to be ready right!?

I've got another long weekend of work planned. I had a wedding last weekend that interfered.

I bought all the wood yesterday for all the trim, crown, etc. so I'm ready!

post #292 of 606 Old 05-09-2013, 09:33 AM

i sure hope the lack of posts during the last week means that your foot is on the gas???? wink.gif

post #293 of 606 Old 05-15-2013, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

i sure hope the lack of posts during the last week means that your foot is on the gas???? wink.gif

Foots on the gas, but cars stuck in the mud. Ive definitely been working on it but Im at that stage where everything is slow and detail oriented, and a pain in the ass. I put on the door, then I put on the extended hinges so I can have panels on the door and they immediatly bent. So now the door is routed out for ****** hinges. Ill post them to make sure no one buys them.

I have the screen, receiver, blu ray player all in hand.

I have everything for my acoustic panels.

I painted the ceiling

I did half the base molding, and half the crown.

I immediatly regret my choice of angles in the theater. It makes all the crown and trim a pain for no reason.

Ill spend some time soon and get some pics up. I badly want to watch a movie in it!!

post #294 of 606 Old 05-17-2013, 06:20 AM

Quote:

Foots on the gas, but cars stuck in the mud. Ive definitely been working on it but Im at that stage where everything is slow and detail oriented, and a pain in the ass. I put on the door, then I put on the extended hinges so I can have panels on the door and they immediatly bent. So now the door is routed out for ****** hinges. Ill post them to make sure no one buys them.

I have the screen, receiver, blu ray player all in hand.

I have everything for my acoustic panels.

I painted the ceiling

I did half the base molding, and half the crown.

I immediatly regret my choice of angles in the theater. It makes all the crown and trim a pain for no reason.

Ill spend some time soon and get some pics up. I badly want to watch a movie in it!!

That's all good news there. If it makes you feel any better, you've gotten a helluva lot more done than I have in recent weeks! I just got my screen up last night so I can install my fronts in the wall this weekend. It will have to come back down though when I tackle the trim, painting, etc.

Did you go OPPO on the blu-ray? Have you decided on a PJ or do you already have it?

post #295 of 606 Old 05-25-2013, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

That's all good news there. If it makes you feel any better, you've gotten a helluva lot more done than I have in recent weeks! I just got my screen up last night so I can install my fronts in the wall this weekend. It will have to come back down though when I tackle the trim, painting, etc.

Did you go OPPO on the blu-ray? Have you decided on a PJ or do you already have it?

I have the Denon 4520 and the DBT 3313 paired so I can take advantage of the denon link.

I have the runco q750 led projector that I got from a showroom as a demo piece. I am awaiting on a isco lens and cineslide.

post #296 of 606 Old 05-25-2013, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So not much progress the last two weeks. I got 12 yards of mulch and 60,000 pounds of rock delivered. I've been moving that around.

I took off all this week just to work on the theater. I won't have any help but I hope to get a lot finished.

post #297 of 606 Old 05-27-2013, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

ok spent some time tonight cleaning, trying to get ready for the week of working down there. I wont have help until the weekend some Ill have to do things I dont need a hand with. In the morning Im going to finish cleaning, reorganizing all the tools. Im going to move the saws closer. My keezer of beer was in the way so I moved that to a different room tonight.

I want to get the second coat up on the ceiling with the sprayer. It makes a mess spraying the ceiling so I want that done.

I need to figure out how Im going to do the panels on the ceiling. I was originally going to have 6 2' x 4' panels but now Im making the panels my self so it can be any shape or size. Im not really sure where the actual reflection areas are. Im thinking I might have them match the size of the panels on the walls, which is 42x48...ill have to play around w it on the model

post #298 of 606 Old 05-28-2013, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

spent today cleaning... multiple bags of saw dust and scrap from cuts... good times...

post #299 of 606 Old 05-29-2013, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Good job. I have a tendency to keep those little scraps, you know, "just in case...."

When I DO a cleanup, I always feel like I've accomplished something becasue I'm cleaning up after a "phase" and I know I won't be needing those scraps anymore.

Progress is in the eye of the beholder.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #300 of 606 Old 06-20-2013, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yea
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post

Good job. I have a tendency to keep those little scraps, you know, "just in case...."

When I DO a cleanup, I always feel like I've accomplished something becasue I'm cleaning up after a "phase" and I know I won't be needing those scraps anymore.

Progress is in the eye of the beholder.

Yea I agree though it seems like the cleaning never ends... About to do some cleaning now

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Runco

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page