Redskinema - Nearing completion! - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 606 Old 06-30-2013, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Im worried about the pattern on the carpet matching up so I took some pics of the steps and sent them to some carpet places for their opinion

LL

LL

LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 606 Old 06-30-2013, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

again, make sure you go back to the previous page. Another day of too many uploads at once.
post #363 of 606 Old 06-30-2013, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I had to cut a stack of wood yesterday to keep going. The stacks already gone, time to cut more...

LL
post #364 of 606 Old 06-30-2013, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I threw a random rope light I had up just to see what it would look light. Its not a lot of light spray but I think the accent will look nice. Eventually I have to find some RGB LEDs that can match the color of the hue bulbs in the room

LL

LL

LL
post #365 of 606 Old 06-30-2013, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I finished the frames for all the back columns today. I havent put the metal in the side ones yet. The back two speakers fire straight so they didnt need to be as complicated. That pile of cut pieces went fast!

LL

I had to add some other pieces of wood where the fabric needs to be stapled. Itll make more sense when you see the fabric going up

LL

LL
post #366 of 606 Old 06-30-2013, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

you can also see the wiring is progressing in this pic

LL

heres all the wiring entering the closet

LL

heres the wires in the top corner of the room. Everything is labeled and run through the clips all over the room. Ill zip time them together at the end for neatness.

LL

we put the switch and outlet covers on. They arent flat black like the paint but I think theyll be fine

LL

I think the wires look awesome entering the closet. All organized and labeled. Theyre also in the same order that they go across the receiver.

LL

LL
post #367 of 606 Old 06-30-2013, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Finished the same work on the other side of the riser part of the room.

LL
post #368 of 606 Old 06-30-2013, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

ok last pics, and brings me up to date. I built the corner pieces for the back of the room. This was a big thing that I wasnt entirely sure how I was going to build them at first. They are part of bringing the room together. They are the same angles (62 and 28), and same length, as the steps, soffits, crown, etc. We were able to cut the boards vertically on the table saw at 28 degrees, which creates the 62. Then lie it flat to cut the 28. It now mounts flush against the wall. These will be wrapped with fabric so sound can get to the foam in the corners for absorption.

Heres the two pieces cut

LL

and built! right now its just leaning in the corner. I have to attach the fabric still.

LL

LL

LL

LL

LL

LL
post #369 of 606 Old 06-30-2013, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 223
This all looks great - you are plowing through. There is only one problem!

You're making my butt pucker with the projector still hanging! For goodness' sake, take it down before you set up that lens and forget what you are doing! (can you see my arms flailing like an imbecile?)
post #370 of 606 Old 06-30-2013, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35

Wow, great progress!  Looks fantastic.  can't wait to see the finished project.

post #371 of 606 Old 07-01-2013, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I just went to a fabric store and bought black felt to put on my screen wall. Chris from seymour said the washers will refeclt light coming through the screen.
post #372 of 606 Old 07-01-2013, 02:14 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINSnCANES View Post

I just went to a fabric store and bought black felt to put on my screen wall. Chris from seymour said the washers will refeclt light coming through the screen.

I had the same concern.  I just took a nice size piece of cardboard, cut a hole out slightly bigger than the washer, and spray painted them.  There is no reflection at all.  I have a Centerstage XD screen.

Like this:

My home theater build thread
LEVEL 4: Center for Entertainment
post #373 of 606 Old 07-01-2013, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegravley View Post

I had the same concern.  I just took a nice size piece of cardboard, cut a hole out slightly bigger than the washer, and spray painted them.  There is no reflection at all.  I have a Centerstage XD screen.

Like this:

thats a pretty good idea. Im horrible at returning things so Ill just use the felt I have. I'm not sure it itll do anything but I like the idea of sealing in as much of the foam, just to have a layer from particles floating in the air.
post #374 of 606 Old 07-01-2013, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINSnCANES View Post

LL

I like the wrap around porch. It adds a lot of character to the house. Some of the neighborhood shots are very picturesque as well. I like low density residential living, but couldn't give up city water & sewer. That looks like a great place to raise a family.

post #375 of 606 Old 07-05-2013, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabident View Post

I like the wrap around porch. It adds a lot of character to the house. Some of the neighborhood shots are very picturesque as well. I like low density residential living, but couldn't give up city water & sewer. That looks like a great place to raise a family.

Thanks for the kind words. We love it here. Though I wish our husky puppy didnt try and escape to play with the cows and horses all the time!
post #376 of 606 Old 07-05-2013, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I spent my entire 4th of July holiday working on the theater. And about to start again now. It was slow going but the screen wall is coming along. Ill post pics tonight of the progress
post #377 of 606 Old 07-05-2013, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

ok as promised I'm uploading pics right now of this weekends progress. It was slow going for a while trying to figure out the screen wall. Its mostly done now. Still need to figure a few things out.

I have my two height speakers, and my center channel mounted.

Pics coming shortly!
post #378 of 606 Old 07-05-2013, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I changed my mind on what is going to support the columns that have openings for speakers. I found some thing square dowel rods at home depot. Heres a pic, theres two different sizes. I think the smaller one will work fine

LL

heres a reminder pic of what area I mean, the bottom half of the column.
post #379 of 606 Old 07-05-2013, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

First, I had to remove the foam in the upper corner of the room to make room for the height speakers

LL

LL

Then I built the first part of the stage wall. Couple points. First, this is the same angle and size as the steps, crown, soffit, rear corners, etc. to keep consistent in the room. Also, notice at the top I left it open where the height speaker will be. Youll see later a pic with the height speaker in it. In the corner Im going to later add one of those small square dowel rods from the above pictures to keep the edge for the fabric

LL

LL

LL

This was repeated on the other side of the room

LL

LL

LL

Side note on these. I accidentally have been buying pine plywood sometimes instead of maple. Its very easy to tell when I do. The wood is just not flat and straight. Every column insert and both of these sides to the stage are all pine and took a lot of extra nailers to get things square. It was very annoying. When I realized my mistake I went out and got a couple sheets of maple. I usually get them half off because they always have damaged pieces, and since for these tasks im ripping 1.5 inch pieces I can deal with the imperfections. I also got some good pieces for when I make my access panels in the soffit later.
post #380 of 606 Old 07-05-2013, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

At about 1 in the morning last night we wanted to 'make some progess'... We were tired of messing with the pine on the corners so we hung a large piece of felt up off the ceiling above the stage. This is to block any reflections from behind the screen from washers, wires, etc. It will also black out the ~.75 inches that border the frame. For now its just hanging, its not tight and does not have the necessary holes cut up. But we needed to go to bed on a positive note!

LL

Turned the projector on, because why not smile.gif We also needed to confirm the height for some dimensions

LL

Heres the pup sleeping, wondering why I'm going to bed so late. Ignore the old runner. It came with the house and in bad shape, but its on the giant list of small priority things to do. Same with the old carpet in the hallway at the top of the stairs. Both part of the joys of buying a foreclosure

LL
post #381 of 606 Old 07-05-2013, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

We started the morning continuing on the screen wall. First we made the box that goes under the screen, and connects to the columns. At least the face of it. Originally, we went to home depot and bought steel bars and magnets to make everything removable. I think instead of making the faces of the corner and the box below come off, were adding them to other parts of it that will slide out.

LL

LL

Next we cut out some foam and mounted the center channel speaker. Im trying to keep all of my tweeters at the same heights around the room. I wanted to watch a movie tonight until I realized I started taking the speakers from upstairs to move too the theater...the center is kinda important for movie watching!

LL

LL

and onto the height speakers. I couldnt get all the way to 45 degrees but its close enough. Its still higher and will help the sound stage.

LL

with the corner leaning in place

LL

the other side, and before putting the foam back/cut into place. Sorry the pictures are always bad on the iphone when youre near a light.

LL

LL

and with foam put back

LL
post #382 of 606 Old 07-05-2013, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

heres a pic with the felt pulled tight, and a hole cut out for the center channel speaker, the outlets, and the sub

LL

and heres where we ended the day, making the other side of the corner column. It isnt attached right now but the plan is to make the enter corner attached to each other and wrapped in fabric. It will then be able to be slid out for speaker access, or to run wires in the future. Im still trying to keep everything in the theater with full access for future needs

LL

Heres a closer picture of what I am saying will be one piece. It wont include the face that runs under the screen

LL

LL

I'm getting closer! The last speaker wire isnt coming until Monday because of the holiday and slow shipping. I'm going to try this weekend to start putting up fabric with my gf. I want to wrap the column, do the rear corners. And build the last two column inserts for the front wides. The finish is coming soon! I might have to throw a receiver in the closet to power the three speakers that are in just to have some music playing while I work smile.gif
post #383 of 606 Old 07-08-2013, 02:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Is there a reason why you're not orienting your center channel vertically? Since you're using an AT screen, unless the center has directional guides or a clustered vertical tweet/mid, they will typically sound better and more uniform in the vertical orientation. Anything with redundant drivers should be vertical and the more drivers in the column, the more it radiates as a line array / cylindrical pattern = keep them vertical.

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
Seymour-Screen Excellence
post #384 of 606 Old 07-09-2013, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscmore View Post

Is there a reason why you're not orienting your center channel vertically? Since you're using an AT screen, unless the center has directional guides or a clustered vertical tweet/mid, they will typically sound better and more uniform in the vertical orientation. Anything with redundant drivers should be vertical and the more drivers in the column, the more it radiates as a line array / cylindrical pattern = keep them vertical.

Cheers,
Chris

well...I mounted them horizontally solely because thats where the mounting holes were. Agreed that it isnt a very good reason. I emailed Ed from SVS and Bryan Pape to get their thoughts on it. It wouldnt be a big deal to change it. The fabric will have a hole in it but that only matters for the progress pictures that I post on here. Youll never see it once the screens up. Thanks for the tip!
post #385 of 606 Old 07-09-2013, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscmore View Post

Cheers,
Chris

So Bryan Pape just wrote the below quote back to me. And honestly I'm not really sure if I understand the answer. I do know that the center channel speaker on my line is identical to matching Left and Right except for mounting holes, badge location and the option to hvae a undermount stand. So Im sure theres no issue putting it vertically. Im sure Ed will write me back to let me know if anythign is setup different in the crossover.

"If it’s an MTM type of design, it depends on what you want to do. MTM tends to control directivity in the line of the drivers. So if vertical with a woof on top and bottom, it’s controlled in the vertical axis. If woofs on the side, it controls horizontal."
post #386 of 606 Old 07-09-2013, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I received a response from Ed at SVS, he said

"A vertically oriented center will help avoid off-axis comb filtering and phase cancellation between the two mid-bass drivers. While the research Audioholics did suggests the issue is completely overblown, the difference is measureable and if you can align it vertically without undue trouble/effort, then it might provide an audible benefit (albeit a minor one) off-axis. Thanks. "

So in conclusion... all three experts that know infinitely more than I do agree, so the center channel speaker is going to get changed to a vertical position. smile.gif

On a related note, the home theater 'club' is pretty amazing. In what other industry can I quickly query the designer of the product I am using. Or receiver feedback on my build from the manufacture.

Shout out to Seymour AV, GIK Acoustics, and SVS Sound! Highest reccomendation to each.
post #387 of 606 Old 07-09-2013, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Heres another response from Ed, and a link to an explantion of the theory behind it for anyone interested

The SCS-01 and the SCS-01M are identical speakers internally in terms of drivers and crossovers. Mounting the SCS-01 vertically will improve off-axis dispersion and response, as previously stated in my email sent a few moments ago.

If you are interested in the theory behind the concept, the below article sums it up nicely.

http://www.audioholics.com/education/loudspeaker-basics/vertical-vs-horizontal-speaker-designs
post #388 of 606 Old 07-09-2013, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Heres another weekend project that isnt theater related. The back of my house gets full sun all day long so I picked up some pergolas from home depot.. I got them because it was a great deal, only 460 for both including taxes. The main reason I liked them is because the canopy slides on a track. Weve tried some tents before and if we dont take them down the wind always catches them. Im on a hill so its windy all the time. The intent is we can quickly slide the canopy back and forth with minimal effort.

Ideally, id build a pergola but I dont have the time or money right now. The deck is 16x24 so it would be a lot of work. The problem with these though is the sun sets behind my house so after 3 oclock the sun shines under the canopy and still provides no shades. Ill have to find a way to add a back wall to them to provide some relief from the sun. On a positive note, the pool was over 90 yesterday so the full sun isnt always all bad

LL

LL

LL

you can see a storm coming in this pic! First test to see if they stay standing in the wind!

LL

LL
post #389 of 606 Old 07-09-2013, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

our puppies name is Oakley, heres him in the winter and again yesterday for summer

LL

LL
post #390 of 606 Old 07-09-2013, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

just your average cardboard day when building a theater....

LL
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Runco

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page