Redskinema - Nearing completion! - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 606 Old 07-09-2013, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35

I had to laugh when I saw the cardboard picture.  My son tells me every week when he is taking the cardboard out for recycling "The trash guys are going to hate you".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 606 Old 07-09-2013, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not but I think Im going to use the shipping foam to hold my sub in place. Im using the SVS cylinder style sub and have to lie it flat so it worked well when I tried it

LL

LL

post #393 of 606 Old 07-09-2013, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

onto page 14 again...so be sure to look back at 13 Ive been posting some pics today

post #394 of 606 Old 07-09-2013, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGiovas View Post

I had to laugh when I saw the cardboard picture.  My son tells me every week when he is taking the cardboard out for recycling "The trash guys are going to hate you".

lol yea man it never goes away. Im sure in two weeks I'll have a similar pile with more ecose boxes, screen box, more speaker boxes...

pizza...

post #395 of 606 Old 07-09-2013, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

this is a pic of the final front column design. Couple changes, its now one piece that slides out for access. Also, for ease of removal once the carpet is in we lowered it by 3/4" and added a 3/4" base plate that it sits on. This allows it to slide off easily with carpet there

LL

ill take a pic of the column not on the base later but here is a closer view.

LL

and here I added a support beam to pull the fabric. The black felt goes behind the screen. The corner column will be wrapped in an acoustically transparent fabric and push flush into it.

I still need to finished the box that goes under the screen. and tighten the fabric on the other side of the stage.

post #396 of 606 Old 07-10-2013, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:
Im using the SVS cylinder style sub and have to lie it flat so it worked well when I tried it

Maybe I'm not seeing the pics right, but why do you have to lie it down? If it fits lying down, it SHOULD fit standing up. They are bottom firing and if you lay it down you will be directing it to one side. I think you should try to find a way to stand it up.

On the plus side, you will LOVE that thing! I LOVE mine. Even after blowing and replacing the driver. I rarely use the butt kickers because of it.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #397 of 606 Old 07-10-2013, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post

Maybe I'm not seeing the pics right, but why do you have to lie it down? If it fits lying down, it SHOULD fit standing up. They are bottom firing and if you lay it down you will be directing it to one side. I think you should try to find a way to stand it up.

On the plus side, you will LOVE that thing! I LOVE mine. Even after blowing and replacing the driver. I rarely use the butt kickers because of it.

The screens 8 inches back from the sub and I don't want to bring it forward. As it is its jut over 8 feet away. And when I did the original design I couldn't move the screen. Though now that I have a cylindrical anamorphic lens I have more room on the zoom of the projector.

I don't think the performance will be affected much. I asked Ed at one point but it was so long ago I don't remember.

post #398 of 606 Old 07-11-2013, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
OK, so it looks like that frame at the bottom is a bump-out from the screen. NOW I see the problem. Hope it works out for you!

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #399 of 606 Old 07-14-2013, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post

OK, so it looks like that frame at the bottom is a bump-out from the screen. NOW I see the problem. Hope it works out for you!

I don't think two SVS pc13s in a 14x17 room will have any issues smile.gif should be fun! But ill let you know. I can stand then up and try later for curiosity but of course it would block the screen and has to be before the seats are in

post #400 of 606 Old 07-14-2013, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Front stage is finally all built. Finishing the last two column inserts now. Pics later!

post #401 of 606 Old 07-14-2013, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well every speaker is in except the left and right towers. I have to build boxes to place them 10 inches higher. Ill probably full the boxes with sand to make them solid.

I also put up my first area of fabric. Looks great. No chair molding yet but it looks infinitely better than the ecose foam. And we're happy with the color.

Ill post pics tomorrow. I'm planning on picking up my chairs Friday. Ill hopefully order carpet tomorrow too.

post #402 of 606 Old 07-14-2013, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Does anyone have any suggestions on where I can sell a new runco rs900 projector and Whitney anamorphic lens?! I really need to get the money back for it since I'm never going to need or use it.

post #403 of 606 Old 07-15-2013, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Try the classifieds here and maybe at Videogon.

post #404 of 606 Old 07-15-2013, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

ok heres a few update pics. The first pics is of the completed corners and box for under the screen. The box locks into place to maintain its level and position. The corners also lock, both are removable for access

LL

the other side

LL

entire stage view

LL
Amazing DJ likes this.

post #405 of 606 Old 07-15-2013, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

my tower with the grill off. All the speakers are in now except the towers, which I mentioned earlier need to be put up on bases.

LL

heres a pic of one of the speakers thats being used as either a rear surround, wides or center

LL

the room upstairs thats wondering why its being stripped of its contents. Lyndsey is happy to have them out though

LL

post #406 of 606 Old 07-15-2013, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

the wides were tricky to put in. Apparently we messed up something in the model and the speaker does not fit at the desired angle. I wanted it aimed behind my head in the center position but its more aimed directly at me or slightly in front of me. Also, to have it at the correct height I needed to build a shelf thats even with the bottom of the column insert. This is the only speaker on a shelf because of the required angle.

I started the way I normally do with boards that allow the insert to slide into place.

LL

I then cut a shelf that goes on top of that for the speaker. The final design had the shelf slightly elevated so it does not catch on the speaker when inserting it

LL

I then build the bottom of the column insert to fit

LL

with the speaker on it

LL

the three layers of the insert are built. Again, ill need to use a dowel for the side where the speaker points

LL

With the other sides built onto it

LL

with the speaker in and 3 of 4 legs, the open spot is for the dowel

LL

and repeat on the other side

LL

and add the foam to the front right. Now the only places left needing treatment are around the HVAC unit, and on the non existent door. Plus in the end the ceiling

LL

post #407 of 606 Old 07-15-2013, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

hard to tell in this pic but the center channel is rotated to the vertical position

LL

LL

post #408 of 606 Old 07-15-2013, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

And its finally time to start putting the finishing touches on! Did some cleaning, wiped down the wood, and laid down plastic for the fabric. I only did one so far but it looks great. the upholstery stapler is a must for doing this I cant imagine having a manual stapler. The corner was just extra fabric that I left to cover the foam. Itll get covered with the corner piece later. The top and bottom will have chair rails over them to cover the staples.

LL

LL

post #409 of 606 Old 07-15-2013, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35

Nice progress.  I really like the look of your screen wall.

post #410 of 606 Old 07-16-2013, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGiovas View Post

Nice progress.  I really like the look of your screen wall.

hey how do I do the links within my own thread for people to search it? I'm getting close and I have hopes my vision will become visible soon and people will start reading and posting! Youre a little ahead of me on your build but you have 100k views! im very jealous smile.gif

post #411 of 606 Old 07-16-2013, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

ok I know its a Tuesday but I'm getting so close I need to put some time in every night! Tonight I had Lyndsey help me with some fabric and we got the back of the room finished with the beige.

I think tomorrow Ill switch to the black fabric and do some of the columns in the back to get that finished. The plan is to have a paint matched to that color, vanilla, and have decorative boxes on the black area underneath of the beige, for a little more contrast.

Without further ado, heres some pics!!

LL

LL

LL

LL

LL

LL

LL

LL

post #412 of 606 Old 07-16-2013, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Im really excited with how the acoustic panels are coming out. My goal was to hide the fact that I have 3 inch panels on the side walls and 7.5 inch panels on the read, and I think I did that. I also did not want their to be seams. I originally was going to order panels from GIK but with the intricacies of my design, and learning to do contracting work I really needed to just custom make everything to fit. Once the modeling goes on the top and bottom of the fabric I think it will look just like a painted wall with molding and hide the depth.

I need to order my carpet tomorrow. Pick up my chairs Friday.

I need to finish the fabric.

I need to paint the molding and put it up.

I need to get another door and put the panels/foam on that.

I need to put up the lens and screen.

Its a lot when you start listing it all out but Ill at least I listen to music with the speakers, Im starting to see the final look, and the screen is going up soon.

post #413 of 606 Old 07-16-2013, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 202
chirpie likes this.

post #414 of 606 Old 07-16-2013, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post

lol

post #415 of 606 Old 07-17-2013, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Can someone tell me how I create links to posts? So I can create a title page to link to different progress areas

Thanks!

post #416 of 606 Old 07-17-2013, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 96
On the right side of each post is the post count for the thread. Click on the bold post number that you want to link to. You will see this changes the url address in your browser's address bar. Copy and paste the url from the address bar into the post on your title page. This would be done using the link icon (small globe just to the right of the bullet icon). For example, if you wanted to link to the riser construction portion of your build, your title page post would include the text "Riser Construction". You would highlight that text and click the link icon. A dialog box would come up in which you would paste the url that links you directly to your riser construction post. "Riser Construction" would now turn blue and act as a direct link.

There may be a simpler way, but that's what I did for the links on my title page.

Spaceman Theater Build

post #417 of 606 Old 07-17-2013, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

On the right side of each post is the post count for the thread. Click on the bold post number that you want to link to. You will see this changes the url address in your browser's address bar. Copy and paste the url from the address bar into the post on your title page. This would be done using the link icon (small globe just to the right of the bullet icon). For example, if you wanted to link to the riser construction portion of your build, your title page post would include the text "Riser Construction". You would highlight that text and click the link icon. A dialog box would come up in which you would paste the url that links you directly to your riser construction post. "Riser Construction" would now turn blue and act as a direct link.

There may be a simpler way, but that's what I did for the links on my title page.

Thanks. Im trying to get my thread organized and setup better. And recently ive been trying to be more active and involved on here. Ive been good recently about posting pics as they happen. And it took me 6 hours the one day I did months worth of work on one day and want to prevent that

post #418 of 606 Old 07-17-2013, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Everyone - I updated my initial post to include links to all progress area, and final equipment lists, etc.

Please take a look and let me know if you see any issues with links, or any suggestions of content thats good to have on there.

Im going to announce my theater to the world today so I wanted the links to be there. And by 'the world' I just mean facebook. I didnt want to post anything for my friends until it was close enough to the finish line.

Heres a link to post 1, now that I know how smile.gif

post #419 of 606 Old 07-17-2013, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Nice work...and very nice momentum! One major thing though...(from one Skins fan to another)...

YOU BETTER COME UP WITH A NEW NAME FOR THIS THEATER BEFORE YOU FINISH IT!!!

biggrin.gifeek.gif

A/V Gear: EPSON 5030UB | 100" Fixed Mount | Samsung UN46F5500 LED TV | Yamaha RX-A1010 | Emotiva XPA-3 | OPPO BDP-103 | Panamax M5300 | Pro-ject Carbon Debut | Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk 65RT (L/R SUR) | Polk RC80i (L/R REAR SUR) | PSA XV-15 | Sonos

post #420 of 606 Old 07-17-2013, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Just the read the whole thread. Bravo. :-)

•

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Runco

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page