post #421 of 606 Old 07-17-2013, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnapolisSony View Post

Nice work...and very nice momentum! One major thing though...(from one Skins fan to another)...

YOU BETTER COME UP WITH A NEW NAME FOR THIS THEATER BEFORE YOU FINISH IT!!!

biggrin.gifeek.gif

if youre a skins fan why do I need a new name?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 606 Old 07-17-2013, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

and its official, facebook knows im doing this now. Theres no turning back! lol
post #423 of 606 Old 07-17-2013, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

On the right side of each post is the post count for the thread. Click on the bold post number that you want to link to. You will see this changes the url address in your browser's address bar. Copy and paste the url from the address bar into the post on your title page. This would be done using the link icon (small globe just to the right of the bullet icon). For example, if you wanted to link to the riser construction portion of your build, your title page post would include the text "Riser Construction". You would highlight that text and click the link icon. A dialog box would come up in which you would paste the url that links you directly to your riser construction post. "Riser Construction" would now turn blue and act as a direct link.

There may be a simpler way, but that's what I did for the links on my title page.

You also can just right click on the post number and select "copy link address".

post #424 of 606 Old 07-17-2013, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

well I wanted to finish the vanilla fabric tonight but it was two million degrees and sitting in the pool seemed better.

Im going to order carpet tomorrow. Ive got some questions for people:

If you have a patterned carpet, do you care/notice that seams dont match up? I was told by one carpet company, that im not going with anymore, Also, they told me to just round over the edges, and not have an over hang. My option is to add a molding that the carpet butts up too. That would break up the pattern and make it less of an issue. I dont know if it is strong to just add a overhang though...

my other question is about base molding. Again, the company I was talking to told me to put the base molding all the way down to the floor. This allows the carpet to go up to it and if you ever change the carpet you wont pull off the molding. But everyones pictures I look at raise the molding up and tuck the carpet under. I put one walls molding on a while ago but then stopped until I figure this out.
post #425 of 606 Old 07-17-2013, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Are you buying your own carpet and hiring someone separate to install it?  Either way, it sounds like the people you have talked to are just trying to take the easy way out.  I would absolutely require that the pattern match.  If they can't assure you that it will match, find someone else.  you only have one shot at it.  I think rounding over the edge vs. having a lip is a personal choice, but the lip is harder to do.  Again, they are trying to make it easier on themselves.  Moldings shouldn't go all the way down so that you can tuck the carpet under it.  It doesn't have to (I have spots where the carpet butts up against a column with no base molding), but if there is a molding, I would tuck it.  

Again, you only want to do this once, so I would ensure you are getting exactly what you want.  Don't let them talk you into anything you don't like.  I didn't compromise at all and I still go downstairs and stair at my carpet wink.gif.

There are sites where you can find local installers who are certified.  You really need to find someone who specializes in a patterned carpet.  I'm not sure which carpet you chose, but if it is woven, that is even more difficult and you don't want a beginner to even try it.

Nick

post #426 of 606 Old 07-17-2013, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I think my theater makes it physically impossible to match the pattern. My steps have an angle running through them so it either has to not match or have a way to break it up. It's just another one of those little things that's going to take time

I'm on my iPad but later I'll post pics of what I'm talking about with my carpet.

Ill have to zoom in on yours to see if I can tell where there's no molding on your columns.

I plan on having a local pro install it. I just want to order it myself.
post #427 of 606 Old 07-17-2013, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGiovas View Post

Are you buying your own carpet and hiring someone separate to install it?  Either way, it sounds like the people you have talked to are just trying to take the easy way out.  I would absolutely require that the pattern match.  If they can't assure you that it will match, find someone else.  you only have one shot at it.  I think rounding over the edge vs. having a lip is a personal choice, but the lip is harder to do.  Again, they are trying to make it easier on themselves.  Moldings shouldn't go all the way down so that you can tuck the carpet under it.  It doesn't have to (I have spots where the carpet butts up against a column with no base molding), but if there is a molding, I would tuck it.  

Again, you only want to do this once, so I would ensure you are getting exactly what you want.  Don't let them talk you into anything you don't like.  I didn't compromise at all and I still go downstairs and stair at my carpet wink.gif

There are sites where you can find local installers who are certified.  You really need to find someone who specializes in a patterned carpet.  I'm not sure which carpet you chose, but if it is woven, that is even more difficult and you don't want a beginner to even try it.

Nick

Hey can you take a pic for me of where the column and molding intersect?
post #428 of 606 Old 07-17-2013, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Ordering your own carpet is a great way to go.  I had my installer measure for me (it was free) and there was very little left.

My stairs are curved and angled and my pattern matches.  The pattern is continuous from the front of the room to the back.  The only place you can't really match it is going from the floor of the riser, wrapping a curved lip, and down the face.

Here are a couple of photos of mine.  You can see that the pattern follows the same angle across the floor, up the step and continues on the riser and stage.  Click on the pics to enlarge them.

Let me know if you want a closeup of where the carpet meets the column.  I will try to get one tomorrow.

post #429 of 606 Old 07-18-2013, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:
well I wanted to finish the vanilla fabric tonight but it was two million degrees and sitting in the pool seemed better.

TWO million? Is that ALL? It was FOUR Million at my house last night. It was TWO million this morning at 6:45 when I let the dog out.

Have you already picked a carpet? I ordered mine from Ken at Stargate Cinema. I forget your room dimensions, but in my case, my room was just over 12' wide. A buddy of mine used to BE an installer and volunteered to do the install. His FIRST recomendation was to find 12 METER carpet, which is just over 13' wide. That allowed him to perfectly center the pattern with no 6" seam down one side and allowed for any differences in the room width along the walls.

There actually IS a way to match the pattern on the front edges of the steps, but after it was explanined to me, I couldn't ask him to do it.
Quote:
it sounds like the people you have talked to are just trying to take the easy way out. I would absolutely require that the pattern match. If they can't assure you that it will match, find someone else. you only have one shot at it.

Exactly!

[edit]
add pic of my carpet for reference

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #430 of 606 Old 07-18-2013, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I still dont think it is physically possible to line up the pattern if you dont have a ledge that goes over. Ill post a pic of my step below. Since I just round the edge there isnt a way to stop and restart the pattern. Ill also post a pic of the carpet im looking at getting. Both of you were fortunate to have a pattern with dead space. I have spirals that make it so there isnt areas with no pattern to line up. I am by no means a carpet guy but I think it would just be luck if the piece on the angle lined up with the original piece that goes straight over the edge. Its hard to describ what im talking about but I spent a while with pics of the carpet and the step and tried to line it up and couldnt.

Heres the riser step

LL

and the stage

LL

the carpet

LL

LL

LL
post #431 of 606 Old 07-18-2013, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post

TWO million? Is that ALL? It was FOUR Million at my house last night. It was TWO million this morning at 6:45 when I let the dog out.

Have you already picked a carpet? I ordered mine from Ken at Stargate Cinema. I forget your room dimensions, but in my case, my room was just over 12' wide. A buddy of mine used to BE an installer and volunteered to do the install. His FIRST recomendation was to find 12 METER carpet, which is just over 13' wide. That allowed him to perfectly center the pattern with no 6" seam down one side and allowed for any differences in the room width along the walls.

There actually IS a way to match the pattern on the front edges of the steps, but after it was explanined to me, I couldn't ask him to do it.
Exactly!

[edit]
add pic of my carpet for reference

haha its definitely hot again today, and we have our work picnic with softball. Ive got another date with my pool later!

and for what its worth, the carpet company I originally talked to said they could match the pattern. I just dont believe them. I think I would have to add a lip like you guys have to stop and restart the pattern. But im hoping im wrong!
post #432 of 606 Old 07-18-2013, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Ha! too funny. That's the exact carpet my wife picked out last night for our theater smile.gif

What prices are you getting quoted for it?
post #433 of 606 Old 07-18-2013, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScAndal View Post

Ha! too funny. That's the exact carpet my wife picked out last night for our theater smile.gif

What prices are you getting quoted for it?

lol thats cool. We didnt like a lot of the 'theater' carpets we saw on places like stargate. And lowes/home depot dont really sell any patterned carpet. We can across the millikens and liked a few of them. This one happened to match my fabric perfectly too.

Ive been quoted between 50-90 a yard from local places, that includes installation. If I order it myself Ive been quoted 26-30 a yard for the carpet, another 3 for the pad. Then a days labor from a local guy to install it. One guy told me he orders it directly from milliken and his cost is 23.99 a yard. so 26-30 I thought was pretty cheap. Most local carpet places get it through a distributer so youre paying a middle man too.
post #434 of 606 Old 07-18-2013, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Both of you were fortunate to have a pattern with dead space.

Yes that is the key to lining up on the front edge. You have to line up the patern at the center and moving to the side constantly cut the patterned part to match and then go back and fill in the dead spaces. It's a LOT of work but can be done and it does take dead space to be able to fill in.

I reckon your orignal guy thought that maybe he could stretch it to match close enough. Theres' a LOT that goes into installing carpet that you and I never think about....there are limits to how much any one carpet/backing combination can be stretched.

Good luck!

Tom Logan

post #435 of 606 Old 07-18-2013, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Carpet has a repeat to the pattern.  Just ask the manufacturer what it is.  It will repeat every so many inches.  The installer can then calculate where to cut it so they can match the pattern.  I looked at several carpets with a similar pattern and was told matching it would be no problem.

Your edges look like they are straight with no curve.  They shouldn't have an issue matching the pattern - even with the angles.  Curves is where the real issue is because the carpet changes direction when you wrap it on the curve.

Call a couple of installers who specialize in pattern matching and I think you will find out that they have done this type of work many times.

post #436 of 606 Old 07-18-2013, 12:35 PM

Liked: 15
Awesome I am following this thread intently as I am building a small home theater in a room about this size, kudos! smile.gif
post #437 of 606 Old 07-18-2013, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post

Have you already picked a carpet? I ordered mine from Ken at Stargate Cinema. I forget your room dimensions, but in my case, my room was just over 12' wide. A buddy of mine used to BE an installer and volunteered to do the install. His FIRST recomendation was to find 12 METER carpet, which is just over 13' wide. >

Ahem, that would be 4 meter carpet. 12 meter carpet would be nearly 40' wide.
post #438 of 606 Old 07-18-2013, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Whoops. Correct...FOUR meter carpet.

Tom Logan

post #439 of 606 Old 07-18-2013, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slansing View Post

Awesome I am following this thread intently as I am building a small home theater in a room about this size, kudos! smile.gif

Thanks! Glad to have you apart of it. I'm really excited for the theater. There's so many great ones but I'm going to try to get in a magazine. Everyone told me in the beginning I was "trying to fit a 20 lb theater in a ten lb room". Well I'm close doing doing it. Yea it's only 17x 14 but ill have two rows, 11.2 sound, etc.

Honestly all it takes is money haha. I needed a 4k screen for the seating distance, the more expensive anamorphic lens for the throw, etc. sucks but cheaper then digging out my foundation. And I made sacrifices. The second row isn't ideal from an audio stand point. But whatever it's just two of us most of the time. I designed the rear columns to slide if you want to fully recline the rear two middle chairs bother wise there's not enough room.

And mainly, I just had to do it all myself. As everyone can attest everything in a theater is custom. It's hard to just follow your model. Especially if you're inherent ing a non square room.

But it's been amazingly fun!!!
post #440 of 606 Old 07-18-2013, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Carpet has a repeat to the pattern.  Just ask the manufacturer what it is.  It will repeat every so many inches.  The installer can then calculate where to cut it so they can match the pattern.  I looked at several carpets with a similar pattern and was told matching it would be no problem.

Your edges look like they are straight with no curve.  They shouldn't have an issue matching the pattern - even with the angles.  Curves is where the real issue is because the carpet changes direction when you wrap it on the curve.

Call a couple of installers who specialize in pattern matching and I think you will find out that they have done this type of work many times.

Yea I think this one is like every two feet. All definitely call around to find someone that's good at it. Thanks for the tips I feel more encouraged
post #441 of 606 Old 07-18-2013, 03:27 PM

Only one gripe with this thread, though it's personal information, price's spent on some materials would have been great information for someone like me to compare things with. But this looks great! I won't be dry walling most likely, just plywood for now, but meh! I'll get some great insight from others I hope!
post #442 of 606 Old 07-18-2013, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slansing View Post

Only one gripe with this thread, though it's personal information, price's spent on some materials would have been great information for someone like me to compare things with. But this looks great! I won't be dry walling most likely, just plywood for now, but meh! I'll get some great insight from others I hope!

My theater is essentially all plywood. I wouldn't care if you knew the price but I pretend like going to Home Depot isn't real and I don't add up the recipts. In my mind a DIY means its free. So I only count the electronics lol

As a tip, get maple, not line. Would have saved me hours and hours not dealing w starighting curved wood. Also, most Home Depot lumber is damaged and they'll give it to you for half off if you ask. And most of what I did I could deal w the damage cause it was hidden. Only some things had to have clean faces
post #443 of 606 Old 07-18-2013, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkest View Post

Ahem, that would be 4 meter carpet. 12 meter carpet would be nearly 40' wide.

The carpet is 13.5 feet. My rooms JUST under that. But the door way is three inches bigger and will need a seam.
post #444 of 606 Old 07-18-2013, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I got a problem. I'm going to try and pick my chairs up from Roman tomorrow. How do I not set them up and the screen?!?!

I have two work trips coming up so hopefully I can get everything ready for carpet
post #445 of 606 Old 07-18-2013, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINSnCANES View Post

How do I not set them up and the screen?!?!
That's a good problem to have, isn't it? smile.gif

You leave them in their boxes! You are allowed to open one to confirm they are the right style and color (and post a picture), but don't remove anything from the box. Concentrate on making sure you're ready for carpet.
post #446 of 606 Old 07-19-2013, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

On my way to rent a truck and get my chairs!!

For anyone that has Romans chairs, I'm assuming they are two pieces? Top goes into the bottom?

I'm tempted to put the one w both arms in my living room for now to try out smile.gif
post #447 of 606 Old 07-19-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:

My theater is essentially all plywood. I wouldn't care if you knew the price but I pretend like going to Home Depot isn't real and I don't add up the recipts. In my mind a DIY means its free. So I only count the electronics lol

As a tip, get maple, not line. Would have saved me hours and hours not dealing w starighting curved wood. Also, most Home Depot lumber is damaged and they'll give it to you for half off if you ask. And most of what I did I could deal w the damage cause it was hidden. Only some things had to have clean faces

Fair enough smile.gif Good tip on Home Depot by the way, I just picked up some 2x4's and one was twisted, foolishly I did not notice until I tried to screw it into a adjacent floor beam in the ceiling of the basement. I believe I did get good quality plywood, I have started putting it up on the walls I am building in my build thread below, any tips are welcome! Good luck on the chairs and carpet.
post #448 of 606 Old 07-19-2013, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

On my way to rent a truck and get my chairs!!

For anyone that has Romans chairs, I'm assuming they are two pieces? Top goes into the bottom?

I'm tempted to put the one w both arms in my living room for now to try out smile.gif

Two pieces packed in one box.

I had to store mine for a while, but I moved them to the basement and unpacked them to ensure there was no damage.

I would have loved to use mine while waiting, but didn't really have anywhere to put them.  Plus we have two cats and I didn't want them scratching them.  They don't go in the basement, so it won't be an issue in the theater.

post #449 of 606 Old 07-19-2013, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well theyre picked up and unloaded into the garage! Didn't open any up yet.
post #450 of 606 Old 07-19-2013, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Two pieces packed in one box.

I had to store mine for a while, but I moved them to the basement and unpacked them to ensure there was no damage.

I would have loved to use mine while waiting, but didn't really have anywhere to put them.  Plus we have two cats and I didn't want them scratching them.  They don't go in the basement, so it won't be an issue in the theater.

I looked at how they go together at the warehouse and it look simple. Ill probably also just store mine. I'm not sure if we'll b able to keep the animals out... Maybe at first but it'll be hard. I'm sure ill eventually have husky hair all over the black carpet...
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Runco

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page