Redskinema - Nearing completion! - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 606 Old 08-04-2013, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 256
That's an awesome first movie! I'm insanely jealous. Your theater looks great. Well done, sir. Well done.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 606 Old 08-04-2013, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm uploading some pics now. Keep in mind they were taken very late last night!

I had a problem with my Seymour screen. The fabric wasnt big enough to tuck into the edges. I still put the screen up, but its not able to be under proper tension. About 2/3 to 3/4 of each side is done. Theres plenty of waves when you have a white screen but once an image is up you dont notice it, especially if its dark.

In general though, the screen looks awesome. Its the 4k fabric. The border on the screen looks more blue/purple in light than black, but you cant see it with the lights on. I'm only 8.5-9 feet from it and you cant see any of the material.

I put up the panels for masking, they look great when the lights are off but its not what I thought I ordered. I know he makes one thats acoustically transparent and ones that not. i wanted the one that isnt but I think I got the one that is. Im only saying that becasue the velour fabric isnt on the entire surface. But maybe they are both like that and only the edges get it. Ill have to ask Chris.

I spent some time setting up the cineslide. Its awesome. Scotts help is the best.
post #543 of 606 Old 08-04-2013, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

First last night we had to make 10 inch boxes to put the left and right channel towers on to match the tweeter height. We filled them with sand to create a solid mass for them to be on.

LL

Right side

LL

Left side

LL

Both

LL
post #544 of 606 Old 08-04-2013, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The second SVS PC13 had to be brought down! Again, I used the packaging to hold it horizontally. For now, I have the driver on the sub in the front on the left, and the driver of the sub in the back on the right. They fire in opposite directions. I dont know if this is right, if they shoudl be the same? Ill take any feedback. At some point ill setup the microphone and test the room. But at this point I dont even have a door, a ceiling treatment and two parts of the room are missing acoustic treatment.

LL
post #545 of 606 Old 08-04-2013, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

At this point it was like 1230 in the morning last night, but we really wanted to get the screen up! I forgot to mention this before but I put the foam back by the center channel speaker and added so black felt. I originally had it horizontally so I had to correct what I cut out

LL

And now, the screen!

LL

Heres so pics of the problem with the fabric. It wasnt big enough and its not meant to be under a lot of tension. We tried to pull it but it would just pop the fabric out the other side and make the edge start to fray. It would have been easy to build if the screen material was even a 1/2 inch bigger on all sides. When you look at the install pics the material is an inch or two past all the edges. I guess they just cut it wrong.

LL

Heres the horizontal side, you can see its under tension but not big enough to get to the top.

LL

Heres the screen up. Yea it looks bad, but as I said before its still watchable. Im so close I couldnt just not use it until I get the proper fabric

LL
post #546 of 606 Old 08-04-2013, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Cineslide pics! This is when we first put it up. Its not in the right position, ill get some final pics later. It was pretty simple to put up and works great.

LL

LL
post #547 of 606 Old 08-04-2013, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

It was 130 in the morning now, but we had a screen and lens. We went up to the garage and got the front row chairs. Those are the main seating area. They were simple to put in. Hook up one wire, plug it in, zip a zipper and slide the top on.

LL

LL

LL
post #548 of 606 Old 08-05-2013, 06:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 38
We'll have the properly sized/cut screen layer on the way to you today. Sorry for the error.

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
Seymour-Screen Excellence
post #549 of 606 Old 08-05-2013, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Do you know what the name of the shelving is that you used. I am going to put something like that under my stairs as well for extra storage. That looks snug and just may fit. I was going to build them but I am getting ver impatient especially after findings out that you watched your first movie!
post #550 of 606 Old 08-05-2013, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks Chris! Did you see my question about the masking panels? I thought the non acoustic ones would be all the border material? Did I get the wrong ones sent or did I just not know what they looked like?
post #551 of 606 Old 08-05-2013, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post

Do you know what the name of the shelving is that you used. I am going to put something like that under my stairs as well for extra storage. That looks snug and just may fit. I was going to build them but I am getting ver impatient especially after findings out that you watched your first movie!

36!inch steal shelves from Home Depot. 60 bucks. Definitely snug there's maybe a half inch on the sides! I had to build it in place. The shelves also can't be any closer or I wouldn't have been able to fit the shelves
post #552 of 606 Old 08-05-2013, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I gotta just say, to anyone that isnt finished their theater, work faster! The experience is not comparable to the old couch and flat screen. As hoped, I had it ready before football, including the first pre season game! I watched some shark week, and parts of a few movies.I even played some xbox Call of Duty Black Ops 2 in there, which gave my girlfriend a little motion sickness.

I had to take a piece of leftover carpet pad and make a temporary door. I cut a slit down the middle and stapled it up. I needed something temporary for light during the day.

Ill post some pictures tonight of a few screen shots, the door and others. Its been very nice to be able to enjoy the theather some instead of just slaving away down there.

I have a lot of programming to do on roomie...Right now I have an entire tray of remotes and its a lot of work. Ive been working on creating buttons for the lighting first. I still have to setup the receiver, Im going to do some auto calibrations with the microphone for now just to generically get it going. Ill of course do it again when theres a door, ceiling treatment, etc.

We did calibrate the lens to the screen. Granted my screen currently has waves but its good enough for now to mess around. Theyre shipping the new screen out to fix that. Theyre also sending out new masking panels becuase I wasnt supposed to get the accoustically transparent ones. I made a point of not having speakers there so I want to get the velvet wrapped ones as ordered. Though I have to ship mine back to have the fabric put on them so ill be without them for a while. Which is kinda annoying but I was also thinking it was a generic item they just grab from a shelf. I guess all the screens are individually made to size though, and in turn the panels are too.

I had cancelled netflix a few months ago because I was tired of paying for three movies that just sat in the kitchen and were never returned. But that was when all I did was work on the theater. Ive gotta decide now if I want to get netflix again (for blu rays I kept streaming) or just go to redbox. Ill buy a few blu rays to have as show pieces but in general id rather just rent them.

So far the chairs from Roman have been very comfortable. I have to remember to lock them because I accidnetally hit them all the time. I also need to remember that I have a power chiars. Im not used to that! The power head rest feature is really a must. Or at least an adjustable one. It makes such a big difference for movie/tv watching.
post #553 of 606 Old 08-05-2013, 01:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINSnCANES View Post

Thanks Chris! Did you see my question about the masking panels? I thought the non acoustic ones would be all the border material? Did I get the wrong ones sent or did I just not know what they looked like?

Scott's email said, "Plus 1.78 AT masking panels," so that's what we put on the order. They can of course be recovered in velvet instead, for a little cost.

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
Seymour-Screen Excellence
post #554 of 606 Old 08-05-2013, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Where did you order your carpet from? I'm looking to compare prices?
post #555 of 606 Old 08-05-2013, 01:15 PM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I went to check and be sure I didn't make an error:

Invoice said:
Quote:
..... with SE 4KHD material, 115" wide scope
format. With 1.78:1 AT masking panels Special order, lead time
applies, typical 2 weeks ARO

Followup Email said:
Quote:
Screen is ordered as follows:

JF115WS-4K,
J-frame
115" wide 2.37 ratio
1.78 AT masking panels
Customer requests include brand label in box, do not attach to screen.

Review and let me know if it is not correct.

If you told me you wanted velvet panels I can't find it. Everything said AT. Sorry about that.
post #556 of 606 Old 08-05-2013, 01:18 PM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScAndal View Post

Shoot me an email at scott@techht.com and I'll hook you up with a carpet person.
post #557 of 606 Old 08-05-2013, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I didn't really intend for my thread to be the forum, no pun intended, for this discussion. I'm not trying to blame anyone for anything.

With that being said I only ever intended for the normal panels, but only referred to them as "masking panels". My assumption was saying that meant the standard and acoustic was the exception. Though I also didn't take the time to properly check your invoice.

So anyway, what is the cost to correct them? My thought is the fix is a fair compromise to the incorrect material. Also, the black backing is technically incorrect as well but I have no need to push for that, other than resale. John said it stretches more and might work so I'm just trusting in that. Clearly at this point resale isn't a priority but its a consideration.
post #558 of 606 Old 08-05-2013, 01:54 PM
Scott Horton, techht.com

I understand. No worries. I sent you an Email, we'll take the rest off-line smile.gif

Thanks,
Scott
post #559 of 606 Old 08-05-2013, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScAndal View Post

I got mine from Caldwell carpet. All the whilesalers in Georgia are the cheapest. Local costs for me were easily double to triple. Closer to triple. I got the thickest pad for next to nothing. I had to find an installer though.
post #560 of 606 Old 08-05-2013, 04:36 PM

Liked: 10
Theater is awesome man! Can't believe it's finally done (almost)! Feels like it's been forever but it was well worth the wait!

Kudos to your electrician ;-)
post #561 of 606 Old 08-05-2013, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomos84 View Post

Theater is awesome man! Can't believe it's finally done (almost)! Feels like it's been forever but it was well worth the wait!

Kudos to your electrician ;-)

That's the problem with public forums, they let anyone post... The electrician quit from dehydration after one beer. I watched my first tv show in the theater, he sat upstairs and threw up...some people just can't see something through to the finish. wink.gif
post #562 of 606 Old 08-06-2013, 04:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Everyone say good job to Tony, Tomos84, for the theater. He finally got a username on here. Tony was there for the majority of the work with me and deserves lots of credit! Thanks Tones!
post #563 of 606 Old 08-06-2013, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Heres some pics that were on my phone, that are more from proof than anything else. I think most of these were taken before we even calibrated the lens, and course the screen is still tight.

This is a random first screen shot from 2 in the morning when we first hooked it all up

LL

LL

LL

This is when I hooked up the xbox. For anyone that notices, yes, this is with the lens in front. So its a 235 image right now. When I played I did not have the lens in front.

LL

And the satelite got hooked up

LL
post #564 of 606 Old 08-06-2013, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Some other images I took Sunday

Shark week!

LL

Football!

LL
post #565 of 606 Old 08-06-2013, 06:59 AM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Excellent job Tony. Having a buddy to help is priceless when you are doing these yourself.
post #566 of 606 Old 08-06-2013, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Photo of the screen with the masking panels up.

LL

My door! lol

LL

And another typical cardboard day for a theater builder. We were joking that if I was a robber I'd case a house on card board day. The screen, speakers, receiver, blu ray player, speakers are all labeled boxes...

LL
post #567 of 606 Old 08-06-2013, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:

And another typical cardboard day for a theater builder. We were joking that if I was a robber I'd case a house on card board day. The screen, speakers, receiver, blu ray player, speakers are all labeled boxes...

LL

You're lucky.  They won't take my cardboard unless it is broken down, folded flat and neatly stacked.  I wonder how much of my build time was cutting up boxes.rolleyes.gif

post #568 of 606 Old 08-06-2013, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:

Some other images I took Sunday

Shark week!

LL

What was more disappointing, discovering the screen fabric was the wrong size, or finding out that the Megalodon show was fake? biggrin.gif

My son and I got sucked into watching that show for 2 hours not realizing until later in the show that it wasn't an actual documentary.  What a let down.

post #569 of 606 Old 08-06-2013, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGiovas View Post

You're lucky.  They won't take my cardboard unless it is broken down, folded flat and neatly stacked.  I wonder how much of my build time was cutting up boxes.rolleyes.gif

our trash and recyling people are great. I put all my construction bags out and they take them too. They dont seem to blink at 20 giant bags. The last place I lived would take one bag a week and leave the rest. We dont have any kids so we joke that out 1000 a month in property taxes is only for garage pickup. So at least it is great service!
post #570 of 606 Old 08-06-2013, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGiovas View Post

What was more disappointing, discovering the screen fabric was the wrong size, or finding out that the Megalodon show was fake? biggrin.gif

My son and I got sucked into watching that show for 2 hours not realizing until later in the show that it wasn't an actual documentary.  What a let down.

lol I only watched maybe five minutes of that show I assumed it was one of those mockumenteries. If youre watching shark week, and they play 'into the bite' watch that! I was on the boat when they were filming it. I've done a lot of scuba diving with sharks, its one of my favorite hobbies. Though the reality is I dont get to do it very often. I live in New Jersey not South Africa! I'm pretty excited that Lyndsey and I will be in Hawaii next month and Ill get to do some diving. its been way too long since ive gone.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Runco

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page