post #571 of 606 Old 08-06-2013, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGiovas View Post

You're lucky.  They won't take my cardboard unless it is broken down, folded flat and neatly stacked.  I wonder how much of my build time was cutting up boxes.rolleyes.gif

oh, side thought. that stupid broken grey/teal plastic laundry container that I threw a bunch of crap in. They took everything but that! I was hoping theyd just get rid of it but they took all the card board and left that there this morning lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 606 Old 08-06-2013, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINSnCANES View Post

oh, side thought. that stupid broken grey plastic container that I threw a bunch of crap in. They took everything but that! I was hoping theyd just get rid of it but they took all the card board and left that there this morning lol

Well, I don't feel too sorry for you. I loaded up all the 5/8" drywall scraps from my room and hauled them down to the road last week along with a few other wood bits. I stacked everything neatly in my truck, and it was higher than the bed rails, so we're talking a good bit. They took everything except the drywall. They did leave me a nice little green note explaining they don't take construction debris. It wouldn't be so bad, but I've been putting drywall out there for weeks and they've always carried it off with everything else. I was not happy about loading all that drywall AGAIN!

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #573 of 606 Old 08-06-2013, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

Well, I don't feel too sorry for you. I loaded up all the 5/8" drywall scraps from my room and hauled them down to the road last week along with a few other wood bits. I stacked everything neatly in my truck, and it was higher than the bed rails, so we're talking a good bit. They took everything except the drywall. They did leave me a nice little green note explaining they don't take construction debris. It wouldn't be so bad, but I've been putting drywall out there for weeks and they've always carried it off with everything else. I was not happy about loading all that drywall AGAIN!

yea I do have a giant trashcan of cuts still. I will probably just burn them one day but I keep thinking ill need a piece for whatever.
post #574 of 606 Old 08-07-2013, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I think they weekend I want to continue my sound proofing. Right now its very minimal becuase I have no door... I want to put the drywall on the backside of the theater walls. The sound proofing is the double 5/8th with green glue on both sides of the wall and right now its just one. I'd like to get the second up to cut down some of the noise leaving the basment.
post #575 of 606 Old 08-08-2013, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I got a new toy tonight! Phillips hue and out with light strips. I needed controllable rgb tape light and now I have it! Will works flawlessly with Roomie. Though they're expensive and only 2m long each. I just got some to play with and try out. I'm hoping to use the controller and hook it up to a different led strip and power source. That way I can have long runs but still control
post #576 of 606 Old 08-09-2013, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:
oh, side thought. that stupid broken grey/teal plastic laundry container that I threw a bunch of crap in. They took everything but that!

It's taken me MONTHS to get rid of a broken plastic 30 gallon trash can. And I even left notes on it in English AND Spanish just in case.

I kind of sneak my construction debris into black contractor bags and don't make them too heavy. I've put out four at a time and they've taken them. IF I have a LOT of stuff, I load up the truck and take it to the dump. Usually only costs $6.00.

I just got 6 barstools delivered last week and they packed them with so much foam material wrapping (I mean, I'm glad becasue they were all in perfect shape, even the one in the damaged box and the one left out in the rain) but it took two of the boxes to hold all of the packing material. Then I could break down the other four (it took me longer to unpack the chairs and break down the boxes than it did to assemble all 6 chairs).And they took it all. I didn't catch what the recyclers took and what the trash guys took, but I didn't really care at that point.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #577 of 606 Old 08-09-2013, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I did some work today in the theater. The big thing is I had to put the foam around the HVAC unit and the fabric. This was complicated by the fact that the unit was blowing out water. Basically, its another reason I built my theater myself. I have no confidence in contractors. I specifically told them the units drain was too low and they said it wouldnt be an issue...clearly it was.

Anyway, end rant... I raised the brackets up roughly 6 inches and it seems to have fixed the problem.

The next issue with the unit was trying to get the fabric up as one piece. I cut a slit in it and pulled it over. Ill post pics later but it looks great.

Now that I have the majority of the acoustics panels up I ran the million sound audessey test. Im having some issues with the Denon 4520 and getting it to play all 11 channels at the same time. All 11 work, but I can only select 9 at a time. I dont know whats wrong but I posted the question on the 4520 thread.

The plan was to put the new screen up today but it didnt come. I cant bring the other chairs in because I need to room to put the material in. I was going to have some people over this weekend but now theres no where to sit! Well at least I have my seat. Sometimes FEDex comes late so maybes theres a chance!

I put up the four Phillips Hue light strips that I got up. They look so good! They work great! I still need to eventually get three more to make it the entire way around the room. The lights in the soffit make all the difference to teh look of the room. It makes me want to get more and put them in other places. We'll see once I start having people in here if I need lights on the steps or anything else.

Ill put up pics of all this later.
post #578 of 606 Old 08-09-2013, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

the new screen fabric did come late tonight. Everyone write Tony and tell him to bring his baby over and put it on smile.gif

(and its his bday Sunday so say happy birthday)
post #579 of 606 Old 08-10-2013, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

New pics below. I described a lot of this in previous posts.

The HVAC had to be unmounted so all the supports could be raised

LL

Heres it higher and the ecose all around it

LL

and with the fabric

LL

final pics of it

LL
post #580 of 606 Old 08-10-2013, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

heres the screen, well the box. Havent had someone to help put it back up yet

LL

Heres some pics of me putting up the phillips hue light strips. They work great. They have plenty of light. If I have it on a bright color it does show up on the screen at 100 percent brightness. Half brigthness is still plenty for the effect and doesnt show up on the screen at all. It really makes the room a lot more stunning. I even messed around with making it alternate red and gold since something needs to be redskins colors! I still need to get three more boxes. I wanted to try it first but everyone thats seen it raves about it. And the controllability makes them perfect. I havent ordered the couple extension cords yet so dont mind the white wires hanging down! Luckily theres 36 plugs in the room so there wasnt an issue getting power

LL

LL

LL

soon im going to get out my real camera and start getting better pics. Theres plenty of wood work to do but its starting to look really nice in there
post #581 of 606 Old 08-10-2013, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I watched avengers tonight. Got the 11.2 surround to work after a firmware update on the receiver. I still cant get the Denon app or roomie to see and control the blu ray player so thats really annoying. i have to leave the room to hit pause, play, etc. I posted on roomies webpage and the blu ray thread to ask what others are doing. If I cant control this its kinda a deal breaker

LL

LL

LL
post #582 of 606 Old 08-11-2013, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I just saw a post on the Denon DBT 3313 thread that my blu ray player is only controllable through the HDMI cable from the receiver. i did see that setting last night when I was going through the menus but I had never heard of HDMI control before. Ill give this a try later.

My big thing now is trying to get all the automation slowly programmed. Its something I can do while enjoying the theater so it works.

Does anyone know, do the Runco projectors automatically detect the signal type? Meaning, when you put in a blu ray it obviously jumped back and forth between 1:78 and 2:35. The menu screen is always 1:78, then the movie goes to 2:35. Ive been manually switching the setting on my projector from 16:9 to letterbox when I move the lens in front but I noticed last night that the image wasnt right. It got me thinking that the projector is automatically adjusting and cutting out the black bars when it detects the signal.

I still need to put ends on my run network cables to connect to the cineslide and the projector. I cant wait to not have 15 remotes...
post #583 of 606 Old 08-11-2013, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I just wrote this on Mr Tims thread but it sparked an interesting question. How long did it take you to get to the break even point of hours worked on the theater to hours enjoyed in the theater?1

I gotta imagine its going to be a long time before the total hours of working equals the total hours enjoying it!
post #584 of 606 Old 08-12-2013, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I just wrote this on Mr Tims thread but it sparked an interesting question. How long did it take you to get to the break even point of hours worked on the theater to hours enjoyed in the theater?1

I gotta imagine its going to be a long time before the total hours of working equals the total hours enjoying it!

oh well, I thought this would have been a fun question to spark some conversation. lol
post #585 of 606 Old 08-12-2013, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I'm guessing it would take many many years to recover for most people. I just think of the # of hrs I spent on the forums researching, prior to my build. I'm not sure I'll ever hit that breakpoint in my lifetime.
post #586 of 606 Old 08-13-2013, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I have been thinking a bit about that lately but not exactly in that way. It is kinda frustrating thinking about it like that. Especially now that I am relatively close to finishing things up it just makes me want to get to the enjoyment of the room that much more. Of course for most of us we have enjoyed our builds and it wasn't all seen as work. More of a hobby really. But it IS a great deal of work and quite frankly I am ready to be done.

I suspect I have put in thousands of hours if you count all of the research over the last several years. It will take many years to break even. Every time I have to buy a new projector bulb I will just take it as a good sign then!
post #587 of 606 Old 08-13-2013, 12:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 48
My current PJ is approaching 2000 hours. Of those, I'd say 1700 of them were enjoyed by my kids and family, and their friends sans me when working etc.. It really has been a wonderful thing to have around (a theater) as my kids grew up. My oldest just left for College last week and she is already missing the theater terribly. So, I count all those hours toward my "tab", too. I think I'm in the green smile.gif
post #588 of 606 Old 08-13-2013, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post

My current PJ is approaching 2000 hours. Of those, I'd say 1700 of them were enjoyed by my kids and family, and their friends sans me when working etc.. It really has been a wonderful thing to have around (a theater) as my kids grew up. My oldest just left for College last week and she is already missing the theater terribly. So, I count all those hours toward my "tab", too. I think I'm in the green smile.gif

you know I never even looked to see how many hours my projector had. I wasnt thinking about it since its LED but I definitely need to check tonight. Mine was a demo so it isnt zero. Im glad you wrote this!
post #589 of 606 Old 08-13-2013, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I cant find where it tracks the hours...so while I put some hours on ill see if its in the manual. i didnt see it in any of the menu settings
post #590 of 606 Old 08-13-2013, 04:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Normally under the service tab of the menu. It is on the DPI version of this PJ. Dunno why they took it out.

Manual says there is a RS232 command to get it.
post #591 of 606 Old 08-13-2013, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Normally under the service tab of the menu. It is on the DPI version of this PJ. Dunno why they took it out.

Manual says there is a RS232 command to get it.

so unless I hook my projector up to a computer I cant see the hours? That sucks...
post #592 of 606 Old 08-13-2013, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I just called Runco, they confirmed the only way is through the serial port. They noted that theres no lamp, so its just total hours on the projector and why they removed it from the menu. But since my intent was just to know total hours ive enjoyed it, and how many were on it when I got it, id like to know...

is there an easy way to hook it up to the serial port?
post #593 of 606 Old 08-13-2013, 05:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

I agree that's ridiculous. One wants to see hours on a unit for other reasons that bulb age.

Just need a normal RS232 cable and a PC with a serial port. Then you can issue commands form Hyperterm. Assuming you ha ve awindows PC. If MAC, can't help.
post #594 of 606 Old 08-13-2013, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I agree that's ridiculous. One wants to see hours on a unit for other reasons that bulb age.

Just need a normal RS232 cable and a PC with a serial port. Then you can issue commands form Hyperterm. Assuming you ha ve awindows PC. If MAC, can't help.

If I hook up a itach to send serial singles and use my roomie app, can I get feedback? Specifically in this case receive hours back?
post #595 of 606 Old 08-13-2013, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hey scott, another question. Im ready to setup the control of my cineslide and projector. I was originally planning on sending an IR signal to the cineslide. However, I was reading the Runco manual tonight and with the triggers on that it can send a signal to the cineslide and then i would only need to program the projector to switch from 1:78 to Cinema mode and it will then automatically move the cineslide. Is this a better way of doing it? Though I'm not sure if that way can power off the cineslide. Does it draw power in stand by mode?
post #596 of 606 Old 08-13-2013, 06:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Don't use Roomie, dunno.

The CineSlide triggers draw power from the source. About 10mA, which for most trigger sources is well below what they can do. As far as which control method works best on the CineSlide itself, either way works fine, RS232, trigger, or IR. You can use them all simultaneously if you like (last command "wins"). I would expect the Runco to be OK in that regard. I don't know what you are using to do your vertical stretch. If the Runco, then trigger control will probably work fine. If something else, it may get more complicated telling the Runco what to do to fire the trigger.
post #597 of 606 Old 08-15-2013, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 73
Quote:

Interesting question... I drug out my theater build for ~ 3 years, and became the poster child for "Wow that took longer than I thought it would".

It felt like I had spent a large portion of my 40's in the basement. However once the room was complete and the family sat down for the first "official" movie ..... I can honestly say I hit the "break even" point for "hrs worked vs enjoyment" immediately.

Like most on this forum, I've had a lifelong love for movies/cinema but never realized what I had been missing. The experience from a purpose built/ calibrated room with all the treatments etc.. gave me goose bumps, and seeing softball size eyes of friends and family during LFE scenes was priceless, it came with an enormous sense of gratification .. (The same people previously though I had gone crazy as they watched layer upon layer go on the walls)

Although I relocated and was only able to watch about 50 movies before the move I have no regrets about the effort and time put into that room, and the experience/knowledge/lessons learned through the process should greatly reduce the timeline the second time around.

The ROI for $$'s invested in that room is a different story, rolleyes.gif

My Basement HT Construction ~ Faster than the speed of Dark

"I've cut that piece 3 times and its still too short..."
post #598 of 606 Old 08-19-2013, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I got the rest of the philips hue light strips last night. One is bad, the red leds dont work so you cant produce any color accurately and if you select red theres just no light. But when I pick blue the room looks awesome! A lighted soffit is a must in a theater!
post #599 of 606 Old 09-14-2013, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I just got back from Hawaii after a few weeks. We ordered the maywhether fight, amazing in the theater! Tomorrow is my first Sunday of football in it then back to work on it. I'm so pumped for tomorrow! GO SKINS!
post #600 of 606 Old 09-21-2013, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Congrats on the theater, it looks great! I needed the inspiration for the final push on mine. I am so ready to be finished.

The Moving Pictures Theater Construction Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1462881/th...ruction-thread

Houston GTG - Summer 2014
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/61-are...l#post26079610
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Runco

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page