Redskinema - Nearing completion! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 606 Old 01-07-2013, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Good thing the Ravens are still in it. The Skins had a chance to pickup Peyton in the off season, but Snyder had other plans.. rolleyes.gif

The new track for my motirized curtain is being delivered today, but I will be working off some disappointment by playing COD for a few days...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 606 Old 01-07-2013, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by design1stcode2nd View Post

I don't have any demo left so I plan to stay away from my theater Saturday night (going to do all my work before the game), I don't see us beating Peyton and the Broncos. Oh and sorry about RG's knee. I think it was Ngata that rolled him up in our game (hopefully it will heal and at least you have the makings of a good offense now). It was hard watching in the fourth quarter when his knee gave out. Give me the willies. eek.gif

Yea Ive seen plenty of speculation about the injury today. Everything from hes ok to out 18 months... If its 18 months Ill definitely (I better.....) have my theater done for that years super bowl! Even though its your Ravens fault Ive got no problem pulling for them. Im a Hurricane so Ive got plenty of respect for Lewis, though Fletcher deserves more credit that he gets. Hes a very very very close second to Lewis yet rarely get mentioned at all.
post #93 of 606 Old 01-07-2013, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Heres a pic of the completed soffit. Notice the fancy tools I got, AKA truck tie downs to fix the twisted 2x4s...

LL

Close up of the awesome job lol

LL

LL

Last pic is my looking into the theater, I dont think I posted any earlier of the double wall and and soffit being finished. I swear I cleaned the entire basement this morning but the photo only shows the theater, where I moved all the tools into and placed wood I needed.

Its so nice having all the walls done. Going to look real soon!
post #94 of 606 Old 01-07-2013, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So today I decoupled the rest of the spray foam from teh 2x4s. This process was slowed down by me apparently cutting a wire that powered the lights in the other room... I also had to move the smoke detector out of the theater and into the other room by the stairs. I learned today that my door bell gets its power from my smoke detector.

I completed the last of the demo by removing all of the old r13 insulation. I also took the last of the old duct work out. I still need to make a plate to cover the hole that went to a floor vent above.

I put up most of my ceiling clips today. I bought a collated screw gun for the theater project which makes life so much easier. For those that dont know its basically like a nail gun for screws but its battery powered. And check out this picture, my ceiling clips fit perfectly on the tip so I can just press them up and screw goes right in! Made this process much faster. I did about half the clips.

Tomorrow is my beer club meeting so no work tomorrow. Wednesday I finish the clips, put up the new ceiling insulation, seal the hole where the vent was, and put up the channels. Im going to order 3/4 OSB from a lumber yard (unless I can find another with 5/8th, they dont carry it) and 5/8th drywall. I need to put up the ceiling and get one wall complete with both layers so the hvac mini split can be installed. Its great motivation to get things up quick. I cant wait to get the walls up and make it look like a room!! a room with no power or lights...but a room none the less

LL
post #95 of 606 Old 01-07-2013, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

This picture serves no purpose as to theater progress, but this saw is awesome. Rack and pinion gears move the stop to exact dimensions and it can support a full 4x8 sheet. I used this more in on another project im doing but this DIY new me that started on black friday has made it so I have lots of new toys. Ive spent a good 1500 on tools this month and theyve already paid for themselves. Its amazing how much cheaper you can do things yourself. I was off work most of December so I got a lot of projects done. Hopefully now that works back to normal I keep the theater going.

LL
post #96 of 606 Old 01-09-2013, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Just ordered the drywall and 5/8th OSB to be delivered tomorrow! Have to finish getting the insulation up and channels on the clips tonight.
post #97 of 606 Old 01-09-2013, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINSnCANES View Post

This picture serves no purpose as to theater progress, but this saw is awesome. Rack and pinion gears move the stop to exact dimensions and it can support a full 4x8 sheet. I used this more in on another project im doing but this DIY new me that started on black friday has made it so I have lots of new toys. Ive spent a good 1500 on tools this month and theyve already paid for themselves. Its amazing how much cheaper you can do things yourself. I was off work most of December so I got a lot of projects done. Hopefully now that works back to normal I keep the theater going.
LL

I really wish I had a table saw, I've been making due with a clamp cutting guide and using my brother's table saw. I have some boards I need to rip to 3 1/2 inches tomorrow and it's just going to take 3x as long with a circular saw.

The MacBeth Theater (flood resilient build)

Play like a Raven

post #98 of 606 Old 01-09-2013, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Created a drawing for my clip locations. I started putting them up by memory and a paper drawing but figured this would keep me inline. The extra clips are soffit locations.

LL
post #99 of 606 Old 01-10-2013, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The big news for today is that I have 30 sheets of OSB and 60 sheets of drywall in the basement. Carried them around the house, down the ice, and into the basement. There is nothing positive to say about moving materials...6300 pounds...no fun...
post #100 of 606 Old 01-11-2013, 06:10 AM

Liked: 10
Just found this build - looking good.
I noticed you're doing a double stud wall on the side and I assume the front and other side are external walls so it would be easy to decouple the stud wall there but what are you doing at the back of the room against the stairwell? An early plan showed a space for a sub. Is this a double stud wall also?

Subscribed.
post #101 of 606 Old 01-11-2013, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

The big news for today is that I have 30 sheets of OSB and 60 sheets of drywall in the basement. Carried them around the house, down the ice, and into the basement. There is nothing positive to say about moving materials...6300 pounds...no fun...

I only had 9 sheets of drywall and 3 of OSB, I don't think my back could have handled that much!

The MacBeth Theater (flood resilient build)

Play like a Raven

post #102 of 606 Old 01-11-2013, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:

That's what, um, "guest workers" are for.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #103 of 606 Old 01-14-2013, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post

That's what, um, "guest workers" are for.

haha yea I had my buddy thats been my right hand man on everything help me, and the lumber yard guy helped some. But still...I was sore for a few days after this.
post #104 of 606 Old 01-14-2013, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

ok so a bunch of updates from over the weekend and today. First I did some boring things like remove duct work that was left still. I didnt realize how many lines went through the room. I then sealed up the old holes. I removed the last of the electric from the room and planned how I want to have it enter the room again later. I also had to finish fixing more mistakes by the HVAC company. I had to glue the pipes that they only had stuck together, extend a drain line for the unit to reach where it will go, separate the wire from the refrigerant lines and staple them up, etc.

heres a picture showing the vent pipe that needed to come out

LL

Another before show of the room

LL

LL

It was getting late in the day at this point, so we started putting up some of the ceiling insulation. Realized quickly that putting up insulation sucks, and so does my hand stapler...

LL
post #105 of 606 Old 01-14-2013, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Heres a panoramic of the room prior to Sundays work

LL
post #106 of 606 Old 01-14-2013, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Now for the boring pictures for you but exciting for me. All insulation is complete. It finally makes it feel enclosed and like a room. Per Teds recommendation I bought r19 for the ceiling. The walls are the old r13 that was in the ceiling. Between the closed cell foam and all this its only going to take a lighter to heat the room.

This is one of the side walls where the mini split will go, the ceiling insulation is finished and the walls are almost done in this picture

LL

LL

Going up on the entrance way wall

LL

Finished both sides of the door

LL

LL

Riser wall showing complete insulation, including the first three that I did poorly

LL

Putting up the first test channel!

LL

This is the back of the theater and shows how we had to cut a seam in the insulation on the wall with staggered studs

LL

LL
post #107 of 606 Old 01-14-2013, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So the plan was to do the ceiling first but I didnt have enough clips, but I had two workers today so I decided to just do the walls first. Also, I had to redesign the clips on the ceiling. I wasnt sure what else I would add to the ceiling, perhaps some accoustic panels with night skies painted on them!!, so i wanted to make sure I could hold the weight. I did the pattern for triple dry wall even though im only doing two, and added extra clips where the soffits will be. Heres a new picture of clip locations. This doesnt include where ill have to add clips for where the hat channels will be spliced

LL
post #108 of 606 Old 01-14-2013, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Walls went up today! Right now the only holes in my theater were the four small holes for the mini split. Ill have one or two more holes for electric but im trying to get the room as sealed as possible first.

LL

LL

LL

LL

LL
post #109 of 606 Old 01-14-2013, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Heres two panoramic pictures that show the entire room. The clips come tomorrow so ill get the channels up be ready for the ceiling. I also already have the green glue caulk so I can seal the edges.

LL

LL
post #110 of 606 Old 01-14-2013, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Here it is, my first tape on the wall!

LL

Another picture from my work step that simulates distance to the screen!

LL

Lyndsey, my gf, checking out the view! Ill have to get some pics with me in it at some point too

LL
post #111 of 606 Old 01-14-2013, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I cant stop starring at the screen wall. Its amazing how real this project feels now that theres walls instead of just plans. I wonder how long I can hold out until I try and figure out how to hook up my projector.
post #112 of 606 Old 01-14-2013, 08:13 PM

Liked: 10
The room looks great. It's really coming together nicely. I sub'd to your build. I have a similar size room in my basement that needs a HT smile.gif

JeffInIndy

post #113 of 606 Old 01-16-2013, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Clips came last night. I had a basketball game so couldnt work on it. Im hoping tonight to get the last of the clips up and the channels cut to size, attached together, and put up.
post #114 of 606 Old 01-16-2013, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Lyndsey isn't still down there waiting for the movie to start, is she?

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
post #115 of 606 Old 01-16-2013, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted White View Post

Lyndsey isn't still down there waiting for the movie to start, is she?

no but she is still waiting for you and John to come help more the thousands of pounds of material that you had us buy!! Maybe you could do us all a favor and go create some new laws of physics that dont require mass to stop sound smile.gif

Though im kinda excited to try my drywall lift this weekend. It was 144 to buy it or 142 to rent it for a week...
post #116 of 606 Old 01-16-2013, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

lightweight soundproofing... OK I'm on it. I'll be back in a decade or two.

Ted

post #117 of 606 Old 01-16-2013, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ah I see, you work at the same pace of my bathroom contractor lol
post #118 of 606 Old 01-16-2013, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

I might actually BE your bathroom contractor. After all, when's the last time you saw us both together at the same time?

Ted

post #119 of 606 Old 01-17-2013, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

This isn't actually a progress update but its worth mentioning that I emailed Big about helping out. I have a feeling he can make this project finish much faster than my friend and I on our own!
post #120 of 606 Old 01-17-2013, 08:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

This isn't actually a progress update but its worth mentioning that I emailed Big about helping out. I have a feeling he can make this project finish much faster than my friend and I on our own!
A yes, Big is amazing - not much he doesn't know how to do. Reminds me when he helped me a couple of times!
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Runco

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page