Redskinema - Post if you're following to see final pics!! - Page 21 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

Old 09-21-2013, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Redskinema - Post if you're following to see final pics!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINSnCANES View Post

I just got back from Hawaii after a few weeks. We ordered the maywhether fight, amazing in the theater! Tomorrow is my first Sunday of football in it then back to work on it. I'm so pumped for tomorrow! GO SKINS!

God help us...tomorrow is a MUST WIN. I can't bear the thought of an 0-3 start! :/

Displays: Epson 5030UB | 100-inch Elite Sable Fixed Mount | Samsung UN46F5500 LED TV
Sources: Yamaha RX-A1010 | Emotiva XPA-3 | OPPO BDP-103 | Panamax M5300 | Pro-ject Carbon Debut Turntable | Sonos Connect | Apple TV
Speakers: Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk 65RT (L/R SUR) | Polk RC80i (L/R REAR SUR) | Subwoofers: PSA XV-15se X 2
Controls:Wall-mounted iPad AVS Forum Thread: 904WMC Media Room Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2013, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by avtexan View Post

Congrats on the theater, it looks great! I needed the inspiration for the final push on mine. I am so ready to be finished.

Thanks! Its definitely nice being able to finally use it
Old 10-11-2013, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Jeff from Night Sky Murals is coming to my house today! I know its been a while since I've posted on here. Later ill put up some pics of things Ive done. Tony and I built the acoustic treatment for the ceiling and designed it to match the room, and look like a window. I havent finished the trim yet to make it look like a window. I needs to be painted first. But im excited for how its going to look.

Ill get some more updates and photos later
Old 10-11-2013, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Jeff's here! stars going up!
Old 10-11-2013, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 135

Just make sure the a/c is on. That man loves his a/c. smile.gif
Old 05-12-2014, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I've failed as a thread starter in updating this thread. I owe you guys updates and progress. And I'm going to update the thread to include the rest of the basement that were working on now. I've been using, and loving, the theater in an unfinished basement for the last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-26-2016, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Wow I haven't really posted in three years. Also sadly, I never finished. Once the theater worked I basically moved onto the rest of the basement, which has turned out amazing and I'll share if there's interest (12 beers on tap!)

I've spent a lot of time the last month finishing the theater. Ironically, my llast posts were about Jeff from night sky's, and that's I'm doing now is trying to see if I can find a good led uv strip for them.

I have so much to say, and so many pictures to load!

I also finally got a door! Well I'm making it. I just need my 8 inches hinges to arrive, it's on temp hinges now.

For three years I used the theater without trim or a door so it's so exciting seeing it finally finished looking.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Redskinema - Nearing completion!

Here's a few pics to see if there's still interest in my build. Here's two tease pics of the bar, and some pics of the theater a month ago. You can basically see what I did by looking at all the unpainted trim. Took a while to do all the cutting and it was only part of it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
thrillcat likes this.

Last edited by SKINSnCANES; 07-26-2016 at 07:44 PM.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Tonight's painting.

Old 07-26-2016, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Last weeks trim painting. Side note painting is much easier than all the cuts!

Old 07-26-2016, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'd like to add, it's great that tapatalk now works here. I would have probably posted ten times more through the entire build but I hated having to take pics, download them to a comp, upload them to my account, and then link them to posts. This is so much better!

And for anyone that followed me for years ago, you may remember the massive piles of cardboard and trash from theater building. Well here was last weeks! My dad was visiting and we cleaned out the garage, which was storing theater and basement materials and garbage for years. Even got almost 500 in Home Depot credit from returns

Old 07-26-2016, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well I don't know if anyone is still going to follow this but here's some thoughts from a few years of use

Life without a theater is no life at all! Ok maybe that's extreme but this is why we're all here. We watch all our movies and main shows in here. It makes Sunday night game of thrones feel like a date.

No one believes it, but don't hook up your projector until you're done. I didn't think I'd fall for it, but here I am three years later finishing. Granted, I did put a theater in an unfinished basement and I did finish most of that since

Sound proofing...well, to be determined! I went to extreme details sound proofing, it's a room within a room, floating ceiling, double 5/8th w green glue, all seams acoustically caulked, then build the theater with 3/4 maple inside of the sound proof room....but...I never got a door....but that's happening right now so we'll see just how much all that detail mattered

Acoustic treatments are more important that speakers. They make all the difference and no one can even tell I have them.

I replaced my first gem hue light strips with second gen, it makes a huge difference and is now two strips instead of ten. I love the hue bulbs, they are so easy to control and up can use Siri with them. People say more about the lighting than anything else

Getgreys anamorphic lens is great. I just changed the remotes batteries for the first time. 235 is a must as far as I'm concerned.

The runco led projector is still perfect. I love the instant turn on, no change in brightness. No need to change bulbs. I have no interest in 3D and don't plan on upgrading to 4K anytime soon

The chairs by Roman are great. One never worked but I'll finally get around to troubleshooting with him now that I'm finishing

I rarely just look at the star ceiling, but I do love it when I do

My designs I still think we're all great. You'll see when I post painting pics how quickly all my columns pop out and How I always have access to everything, can always add or change a wire, and all without effecting sound proofing.

I miss typing here. I started some threads for my bar and fish tank but always liked this forum the best. Hopefully there's still interest for all the rest of the pics and progress.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINSnCANES View Post
Here's a few pics to see if there's still interest in my build. Here's two tease pics of the bar, and some pics of the theater a month ago. You can basically see what I did by looking at all the unpainted trim. Took a while to do all the cutting and it was only part of it

Old 07-27-2016, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The taps under the tank is slick. What size area is the bar (lxw)?
Old 07-27-2016, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 204
I might suggest some railing for those stairs ;-)

It is interesting, I live in the midwest (Cincinnati area) and recently converted the steps into my basement from carpet to hardwood, and the site I got the treads from, had some 'generalizations' of Riser colors... East/North East... risers usually match treads (which I see yours do)... midwest, risers are usually white (which mine are, and most of my friends are as well).... strange how that is different.

Do you have 12 'mini kegs' or something hooked up to the taps? I think that might be too dangerous for me.... I don't drink much at home, but love beer when we eat out and it is ice cold from a tap.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Redskinema - Major Updates! (I'm finally finishing it!)

I have four more bourbon barrels. The one in the pic is a weller (buffalo trace barrel) with only their bourbon on it. I'd like to use another barrel as my bathroom vanity with a copper basin in it. The others I'm cutting up to make dart board holders, chalk board for beers and I want to use the extra staves for the balusters on the stairs. I'll do a few and see how it looks.

There's 12 soda kegs (five gallons, about 53 beers each). I'll get more pics up of how it was all built.

And my stairs were carpeted when I got the house. I just sanded them and stained them. I was worried I'd have to cap them but they turned out great.

I can't find the inspiration pics but here's some. I'd have to decide if I wanted to sand and stain. Or poly. Or keep the charred inside and poly the out...lots of reasons why it's not done yet

Last edited by SKINSnCANES; 07-27-2016 at 04:17 PM.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Stair evolution

Old 07-28-2016, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Great thread!

Need some pics behind that tank...please!

To Hell with Georgia...
Old 07-28-2016, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Wow! Great work.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Lol I wanted to get the thread going again to show that I. Finishing the theater, but thanks! I did also work very hard on the rest of the basement. Which is a good excuse that the theater didn't get finished. Gotta be able to pour a drink for the theater ya know

Old 07-28-2016, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I thought I was being over zealous with 6 beer taps (I dropped to 3), but dang!
Old 07-29-2016, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
Great thread!

Need some pics behind that tank...please!
+1 Let's see some detail on that tank. Looks great.

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
Old 07-30-2016, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Man I did so much work the last two days, I'll have to break the pics up into a couple posts but he theater is back together after being apart to paint. About to go enjoy it again, it's now 99 percent complete, just need to finish building the door when the hinges come Monday!

Old 07-30-2016, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

These pics were a few weeks ago, of my equipment closet. I wanted to redo it because I could never use the closet. Wires everywhere, was a mess.

I had left my basement door open during the days to air out the basement from all the poly. Never again! Look at he top of my equipment! There's a freaking SNAKE! Being a manly man...I quickly started texting my neighbors to see who was home. I texted my neighbor who looks kinda like the rock, and is a cop. He promptly texts back "reptile officer on the way". I figured it was a cop joke and went upstairs to see his wife walking across the street lol. Apparently he hates snakes more than I do.

So anyway you can't see the closet very well in the pick but here's it after. I spun everything to the front and used the wire shelves to route wires so I can spin it left or right and get to everything.

Here's it moved to the side

Now I can use the closet much better and put so,e storage in the back

Here's a bunch of wires that are mostly future proofing the basement. I put in four tvs and ran double cat 6 and coax to each, then used wireless genie lol.

There's an old pic of how the wires enter the closet from the theater

And I pic from earlier today on the only two holes in the entire theater, where the wires leave. I sound proofed the equipment room just Incase that let out the sound. Though today I moved my xbox one out of the equipment closet to the theater because there's so many layers the controllers don't work.

Old 07-31-2016, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Those stairs look amazing! Nice job.

My build thread: The Unprofessional Build
Old 08-01-2016, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Since most people probably skim pics and don't read, there's a snake in my equipment closet! See above lol

Old 08-01-2016, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Here's some more bar pics, starting with my sink. I 3D modeled and custom designed my sink and had it fabricated. As you can see it's a combo 12 tap drip tray, glass rinsed and sink! It's worked great and having a glass rinsed is like having a theater, once you have it you can't live without it.

I used a lot filler to have a faucet that folds out of the way

Old 08-01-2016, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Here's the pics of the work from last week. I had previous cut all the trim so I had to take it down and paint it. You'll be able to see here how easy my theater comes apart since everything is removable panels on tracks. I'll show that in more detail on the final pics.

Here's the first big progress from two years, I cut and tacked up all the trim. Some I had primed last summer....so I had a nice bondo used car look going

Prepping the room

I repainted everything with a new paint, then after I cut and put on more decorative trim

Old 08-01-2016, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Redskinema - Major Updates! (I'm finally finishing it!)

These aren't great photos but here's more looks at why I'm so proud of my design. As I've said my entire room was sound proofed with no holes, then I build ever hhu inside the room. So I have access to every wire and speaker easily.

Here's some pics of the soffit. You can see the wires run to all the speakers. This was open for years but now I cut all the access panels out and put them in so the theater has a clean finished look

Here's how it was, with the openings

And with the panels in

The original design accounted for these panels. The soft was built with a 1x2 that provided both a surface for the crown and a lip to hold the access panels. The columns are also surfaces the panels sit on.

Since I didn't post for years here's some older pics to show how the design came along and how the entire room was sound proof first then the theater built. I used to have lots of followers but they're probably all gone and it's just new people popping in.

Old 08-01-2016, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Alright here's some pics now of how the theater has the modular columns. I showed the access panels in the last post, now I'll do the columns. This is the lead in to almost final pics.

Here they all are outside the theater. I was touching up the trim paint on them

I'll start on the back wall. As a reminder the back wall is six inches of foam plus an air gap, and two foot triangles in the corner. Here's the back wall panels removed. Even the large panel comes out

The right rear speaker column is where the two holes are that all the wires leave the theater. The rear columns are also open on the bottoms to fit one of the subs. Here's a close up of the wires. The extra hanging wires are because I moved my xbox one to under that column so the wireless controller would work

Here's with the rear panel put back. Also I changed my rear speaker configuration. I've noticed the chairs block some of the rear surrounds. I originally designed everything at ear height but with two rows I raised them and pointed them down more so my seat in the front gets better sound.

And with the speaker column covers out back on, quickly and easily!

Here's the side with the covers off, and the front covers off

And with all three front panels put back on

Anyone following?! Complete pics coming up!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Runco