The Grove Theater and Basement Build - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1302 Old 07-20-2012, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Thanks. I was about to order some power supplies today but held off. Did you just hook up to an outlet for power? That is my issue now. How to power these things and get Insteon control of them. Thinking switched outlet that the power supplies plug into.

Do you know what size wire you used to splice the power source to the power supply?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1302 Old 07-22-2012, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Some updated drywall pics.
IMG_2312.jpg

IMG_2313.jpg

Outside of equipment room.
IMG_2314.jpg

Finished OSB and caulking in the equipment room.
IMG_2315.jpg

IMG_2316.jpg

IMG_2317.jpg

Added three conduit runs from the equipment room to the theater for future star ceiling cabling and speaker wires/HDMI cables.
IMG_2322.jpg

IMG_2319.jpg

Still have a long ways to go. These next couple of days are going to be long. rolleyes.gif
post #273 of 1302 Old 07-24-2012, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Stayed up until 3 am this morning finishing the drywall and green glue in the equipment room. Sorry, no pics. Too tired when I got done. I will try and get some tonight.

This leaves me the bathroom, bar area, columns, and front TV wall to finish by Thursday. Also, I have to get all the scraps out and tarp everything that is staying so that it doesn't get destroyed by the finishing guys. Hopefully no more 3 am nights again... rolleyes.gif
post #274 of 1302 Old 07-24-2012, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Vanice,

Because my poster cabinet is flush mounted to the stairwell wall and there is no AC outlets in my stairwell, I did the following:

- My EQ closet is directly under the stairwell landing.
-Therefore I ran "in-wall (CL?)" rated 12 gauge speaker wire (Monoprice stuff I had left over from my build), thru the cabinet back and threaded it thru the stairwell wall, down below into my EQ closet.
- My 12v supply"brick" is in the EQ closet and is powered from a switched outlet on my APC equipment supply.

So whenever I start powering up equipment for movie night - I have the option of the stairwell poster box coming on automatically

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #275 of 1302 Old 07-24-2012, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

Vanice,
Because my poster cabinet is flush mounted to the stairwell wall and there is no AC outlets in my stairwell, I did the following:
- My EQ closet is directly under the stairwell landing.
-Therefore I ran "in-wall (CL?)" rated 12 gauge speaker wire (Monoprice stuff I had left over from my build), thru the cabinet back and threaded it thru the stairwell wall, down below into my EQ closet.
- My 12v supply"brick" is in the EQ closet and is powered from a switched outlet on my APC equipment supply.
So whenever I start powering up equipment for movie night - I have the option of the stairwell poster box coming on automatically

So you are using speaker wire to carry power from the adapter to the frame? Did not know that was an option. I need to get one of these adapters so I can see what size wire I need for it. I think I am going to put in an Insteon controlled outlet that I can plug both frames into.
post #276 of 1302 Old 07-25-2012, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well... no pics again. But I did put in another late night. Finished the bathroom drywall, most of the dry bar area, and started cleaning up a little bit. This leaves me the outside of the equipment room, three columns, and my TV wall (which I'm waiting on speaker wire for that is supposed to show up today). Then I get to clean all the scrap material up and move whats left to the middle of the room. I have a feeling that it is going to be another really long night. rolleyes.gif

Good news, it should be the last one because drywall finishers come on Thursday. biggrin.gif
post #277 of 1302 Old 07-26-2012, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Been a long couple of days. The final push to complete drywall hanging before the finishers came today. I am beat and look forward to some rest.

Here are a few updated pictures from the first day of finish work.
Inside of equipment room.
IMG_2339.jpg

IMG_2335.jpg

IMG_2334.jpg

IMG_2333.jpg

Outside of equipment room.
IMG_2338.jpg

IMG_2342.jpg

IMG_2344.jpg

And now the finishing work in the rest of the basement.
IMG_2351.jpg

IMG_2348.jpg

IMG_2345.jpg

IMG_2353.jpg

[IMG]http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc483/cchristie78/IMG_2347.jpg[/IMG Amazing the transformation one day makes. Can't wait to see it finished.
post #278 of 1302 Old 07-26-2012, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Absolutely awesome job achieving your goal and staying on track for your finishers. Nice, neat work and it looks like a beautiful finish is in process. I'm sure you'll be sleeping well tonight (if you aren't already!). Truly a well-deserved break.
post #279 of 1302 Old 07-27-2012, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks TMcG! It was a long time getting to this point and I am so glad to be done with my part of it. Now I can turn it over to the professionals. What these guys finished taping in one day would have taken me a month to complete. And at a much better quality too.

I slept like a baby last night! biggrin.gif

So now with the finishers in doing their work there won't be much in the way of progress from me. I will update with some new theater picks later tonight or on Saturday. The arch turned out really nice. Depending on when they complete their work in the theater I may be able to sneak in and do a little stage and riser work on Sunday. cool.gif
post #280 of 1302 Old 07-31-2012, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

So how did the finish work turn out?
post #281 of 1302 Old 07-31-2012, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Actually they are finishing up today with ceiling texture and sanding. Should have a few pictures later today. So far been very pleased with their work and professionalism. Happy with my contractor choice so far.
post #282 of 1302 Old 07-31-2012, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok, here are the last pictures for a little while as I will be on hiatus in Florida for a week. Not sure how well you can see the finish in these pics but I have officially finished the drywall phase and that is a great hurdle to be over. cool.gif

Arch going into the theater.
IMG_2354.jpg

Theater entrance.
IMG_2360.jpg

Equipment room.
IMG_2356.jpg

Workout room with drop ceiling.
IMG_2365.jpg

Shot of bathroom (small room so it is hard to really show anything). Don't worry... once the urinal goes in it will get plenty of pics! biggrin.gif
IMG_2364.jpg

And some various pics of the main room w/ TV wall.
IMG_2355.jpg

IMG_2358.jpg

IMG_2359.jpg

IMG_2361.jpg

IMG_2362.jpg

IMG_2363.jpg

So that is it for now. I'll be back in a week to begin work on the theater. Soffit, riser, and stage work coming soon! Stay tuned!! biggrin.gif
post #283 of 1302 Old 08-01-2012, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Amazing how the drywall is a HUGE step towards FINISHED!
Looks like they did a nice job.

That arched entrance, TV wall, and built in lighted poster boxes >> are going to set you apart!
Enjoy Florida!!

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #284 of 1302 Old 08-01-2012, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Looks like they did some very nice finishing work and cleaned up their mess very well. Always a major change to start to see it truly looking like finished space, that's for sure. I didn't notice this before, but I am a bit surprised that the drywall guys didn't combine those two columns together into a single wider column. It would have been less work and material.
post #285 of 1302 Old 08-01-2012, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I am very pleased with the work. I informed them beforehand that I wanted to keep them separate. No complaints and I think they did well finishing them.

Ready to get some sun tomorrow!! smile.gif
post #286 of 1302 Old 08-06-2012, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
The drywall looks fantastic vanice! Congratulations on such a huge milestone!

The Austin Home Theater:
A DIY high school project (now complete and being enjoyed everyday)

post #287 of 1302 Old 08-06-2012, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks! Excited to get back home and get to work on the theater. I think the first step will be priming everything and then on to the soffit, stage, and riser. Really looking forward to seeing the room start to change and look a little more like a theater and less like an empty box. Will be back at it this weekend!! biggrin.gif
post #288 of 1302 Old 08-13-2012, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, no real progress yet. I did start priming the theater walls yesterday but ran into some issues with my painting equipment which made for slow working conditions. I plan to work on it througout the week and should have some new pics in a few days. Going to be really dark in there with the dark tinted primer that I am using.

Also picked up stage, riser, soffit, and sub wall materials. Plan is to get all theater walls and ceiling primed and then be ready to start on soffits this weekend. Only have Sunday to work so I probably won't get much done but hopefully enough to allow me to get some of my wiring up off the floor and out of my way. rolleyes.gif

Finally going to be able to provide some interesting pictures for those following along! cool.gif
post #289 of 1302 Old 08-14-2012, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Progress!! Finished priming the theater tonight! Had them mix up the darkest color I could get. Here are the pics.

IMG_2366.jpg

IMG_2367.jpg

IMG_2368.jpg

IMG_2369.jpg

IMG_2370.jpg

IMG_2371.jpg

Went pretty quickly and makes a big difference. The light has really been sucked out of the room.

Now I am set up for the weekend to start work on the soffit. Exciting to see the changes. cool.gif
post #290 of 1302 Old 08-14-2012, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 264
I've got a question about your dead vent. I'm not sure I understand the benefit of using a variable speed fan. If the idea is to design the dead vent as a completely silent system, then why not just let the fans run full speed all the time? If the rest of the basement is at the temperature you want your theater, then continuously exchanging the air shouldn't hurt anything. And if that's the case, couldn't you just wire up a relay to operate off of a 12V trigger from your receiver or PJ?

I'm way behind on your thread, so forgive me if this has been beat to death already smile.gif

The theater is looking awesome. Before you know it you'll be hanging a PJ for a test run........ on second thought, wait on that test run biggrin.gif

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #291 of 1302 Old 08-15-2012, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks! I have a very tentative goal of having it somewhat useable by the end of September but I know this may not be possible due to my limited time available to work. The projector has been burning a hole in my bedroom floor just waiting for the time to be put up. Talk about motivation, waking up every morning seeing that thing sitting in a box instead of hanging from the ceiling. biggrin.gif

I am not extremely versed in the ways of dead vents but I will give you my reason for the variable speed fan. True that it is intended to be a silent system that exchanges air with a space outside of the theater. The problem is there are a lot of variables in designing a system that runs without being intrusive. The size and length of the ducting, the outlet (or inlet) boot design w/various vent cover, and the max volume and velocity of air that a particular fan produces. I am somewhat limited on the ducting size and length. I will make it as long as possible using the flexible ducting so that hopefully I limit the fan noise from traveling through the system. I plan to copy boot designs that I have seen on here, making them as large as possible to slow air velocities at the exit/entrance of the ducting, thus limiting the sound. This leaves me with the fan. I plan to use the fan type that Ted suggests in his dead vent documentation since it has been used many times over and seems to be the go to fan for this application. So my worry is that with my particular setup (ducting, vents, etc.) that if I were to run this fan full bore that I may get motor noise transmitting through the system or more likely, have too high of exit velocities at the vents which creates that air rush sound or hiss. I have some vents in my house that can really make a lot of noise when the HVAC is running full out. This would be very distracting during a movie. So... since I can't really change any other variables in the system after it is in, having control over the volume of air moving through the system will be important to controlling the sound that is being created. In theory I should be able to get max ventilation if I need it for marathon sessions or dial it back so that I get constant exchange but keep it unobtrusive. I am still up in the air about how I am going to control them but leaning towards each of them having their own controller to dial in the speed and then having them power on when the room powers on. I still have a ways to go on these and I may change my mind 10 times between now and when I actually get around to installing them but this is my plan at this moment. rolleyes.gif
post #292 of 1302 Old 08-19-2012, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Weekend update.

Started the soffit work today. Pretty slow going as I spent a lot of time looking 5 steps ahead trying to make sure that I wasn't missing something or putting something up that may be in the way of another step. So on with the pics...

Started with some 2x2's attached to the ceiling.
IMG_2373.jpg

IMG_2374.jpg

Then started hanging 1/2" MDF from the 2x2's.
IMG_2383.jpg

A couple of casualties like this.
IMG_2376.jpg

Got the back portion of the room complete.
IMG_2377.jpg

IMG_2378.jpg

The hole in the middle will be filled with a vent box for the rear dead vent return.
IMG_2382.jpg

A shot of the various ducts and conduit in the soffit.
IMG_2380.jpg

And a shot of the ladder structure in the soffit.
IMG_2379.jpg

Also, I have made contact with Bpape concerning my acoustic layout. I think I am going to pull the trigger and let him give me a plan for my room. Going over it this weekend, it just makes sense to spend a little extra to maybe get that last 30% out of the room compared to me trying to copy someone else's design. Put this much money into something you want it to be the best it can be.

So not as much done as I would have hoped but only had Sunday to work. Moving forward none the less. Maybe I will be able to sneak down there and get a couple of things done during the week. Fun to see things changing. biggrin.gif
post #293 of 1302 Old 08-20-2012, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Hmm, that soffit construction looks SO familiar! hehe

Great work so far Vanice! It's so funny that every time I read a build thread, I get excited to do it again.
post #294 of 1302 Old 08-20-2012, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post

Hmm, that soffit construction looks SO familiar! hehe
Great work so far Vanice! It's so funny that every time I read a build thread, I get excited to do it again.

Thanks! You may find several things that look familar from this point forward! tongue.gif Just wish I could move at the pace you guys did.

I understand the itch. Maybe a good speaker building project or something to remedy it. Your room doesn't need a thing, it looks fantastic. I wouldn't steal just anyone's soffit design. wink.gif
post #295 of 1302 Old 08-20-2012, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanice View Post

Thanks! You may find several things that look familar from this point forward! tongue.gif Just wish I could move at the pace you guys did.
I understand the itch. Maybe a good speaker building project or something to remedy it. Your room doesn't need a thing, it looks fantastic. I wouldn't steal just anyone's soffit design. wink.gif

Actually, after seeing the results of the nightsky murals on Mario's thread (Cinemar) I am seriously thinking of revisiting that, + using the LED strips. I was really at my max budget initially but now I could afford to look into that again.
BIG has tried to push me in the speaker building direction once before as well.
The pacing was great when it came to getting to the finished product, and it did help with my procrastination. BIG was there to always keep me on schedule.

Speaking of which, what is your planned timetable? When are you hoping to finish by? Are you going to be doing fabric walls or just some panels?
post #296 of 1302 Old 08-20-2012, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

His results are really nice. I added an extra inch of depth to my soffit to account for a future star ceiling. I am leaning towards a FOSI style instead of the painted. Would like to experiment with rigid foam as a base instead of using heavy MDF. All of this will come well after the room is functional and I have completed the rest of the basement.

I'm sure BIG was a huge help especially since he could work on things during the day when we are stuck working desk jobs. rolleyes.gif And to have his knowledge of schedule, building techniques, and just damn good ideas would be a major plus.

My unreasonable time table is to have the room complete by the end of September so that I am ready for the Avengers blu-ray release. I think budget and time will limit me to having the room functional by the end of September. Probably looking more like Thanksgiving as far as having the room complete (or as complete as a home theater gets on this forum). I will be doing all fabric frame walls like your room. Still need to figure out what design I am going to do and what color scheme I am going to go with. I have a bunch of GOM samples and stare at them every night thinking that I will have an epiphany. No such luck so far.
post #297 of 1302 Old 08-20-2012, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanice View Post

I am leaning towards a FOSI style instead of the painted. Would like to experiment with rigid foam as a base instead of using heavy MDF.

+1 on the FOSI system if you go the fiber optic route. Seems to be the most realistic out there.

Regarding the rigid foam....the problem is that you cannot paint it to get it to conceal behind the GOM and disguise where the edges are. To avoid this and give me something paintable I am toying with the idea of adhering some luan to a 1/2" rigid pink foam so that (and the edges) can be painted black and yet still give something rigid to adhere the fabric to and drill the fiber optic holes. I've never seen it done before, but like you . . . . there has to be a better way than super-heavy and dusty 3/4" thick MDF. Probably the most concerning part would be making the seams line up perfectly. With MDF this is done with bisquits....with foam and luan I think it would amount to very securely fastened edges along the entire seam to line it up properly. PLEASE let me know your thoughts!
post #298 of 1302 Old 08-20-2012, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Are you sure that you can't paint it? I read somewhere that it was possible but didn't dig any deeper since I wouldn't be working on it for a long time. I was thinking about 1" thick stuff, painted, and wrapped in GOM. I thought that would be a nice system. Of course, if you can't paint it then it doesn't really work.

Using luan or maybe 1/4" birch plywood would be a good alternative. Both need that backer to help keep their shape but give you the nice face to paint and glue to.

Fastening the panels to the ceiling seems like the most difficult to me. I need to go back and re-read Stockmonkey's mounting method. I think it could be adapted to the foam and luan/plywood combo (maybe just with more mounting locations to keep edges together). I have some extra foam that I can play with but right now I am dedicating all my free time to moving the theater forward. If I have any great ideas I will be sure to post them here.
post #299 of 1302 Old 08-20-2012, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

There may be some paint out there that doesn't harm it in the short or long-term. But the solvents in most paints will either eat into the foam or not provide a good bonding surface. I would call the manufacturer before painting to see what is acceptable. I never did because that just wasn't the route I wanted to go.

As far as mounting the panels, FOSI recommends cutting a V-shaped notch in the fabric, securing and countersinking a screw and then folding the still-tacky fabric back into position. I personally hate the idea of cutting a finished surface, but after trying it in small scale I cannot see in bright light and close up where I cut, let alone 6 feet or more away on the ceiling in a darkened theater.

I also thought of using 1/2" T&G plywood as an alternative, but still not sold on that idea yet either. We will see.
post #300 of 1302 Old 08-20-2012, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Feel free to post here if you come up with something. Right now I am planning for it but it will probably be one of those things that I do a year after the theater has been complete and I am looking for a project to work on during the winter.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
4pi speakers , emotiva erd speakers , Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier , ib sub , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Playstation 3 160gb System , Speaker Systems , Xbox 360 250gb Console With Kinect , xbox one
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page