The Grove Theater and Basement Build - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 1289 Old 09-04-2012, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
LEDs take a small amount of power to light up. The dimmer switch is likely still allowing a small amount of current through. It's not enough to affect an incandescent or CFL, but the LEDs will light.

In terms of the blinking, I may be wrong on this, but I'd think that it has something to do with a cycle where the bulbs use the supplied current and go on, then turn off, the current then reaches a high enough level to turn them on, and so forth....

You may be able to add some kind of resistor after the dimmer to take up the small amount of power getting through. I had to do that once with a stage lighting dimmer that was keeping a small candle fixture on. I just added another one directly after the dimmer off stage to act as a resistor.

The Austin Home Theater:
A DIY high school project (now complete and being enjoyed everyday)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1289 Old 09-04-2012, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanice View Post

Thanks! I'm really starting to get the feel of the room instead of an empty shell. Not progressing as fast as I would like but how many on here actually do. rolleyes.gif
Unfortunately I don't have a clue on why switching bulbs is causing flashing and other odd behavior with dimmers. I am going to use Insteon dimmers with mine so maybe I will try and experiment once I have lights in place and wired up.
I did notice this statement from the smarthome website -
"This dimmer can be used with dimmable LED bulbs to help you save even more energy. While performance may vary between manufacturers, we have found that Sylvania Ultra LED dimmable bulbs offer great performance with a wide and smooth dimming range. The Ultra LED series include the following types: Standard (A-Line), MR16, PAR16, PAR16 GUI10, PAR20, PAR30LN and PAR38."

Yeah, it may be the dimmers themselves, or I may need a transistor after the dimmer, or it may be the cans don't support it. In any of the cases, I wasn't interested in switching to LED bulbs if it required any more cost/work than the bulbs themselves. While the transistor option might be cheap, I'd rather not bother.
post #363 of 1289 Old 09-04-2012, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 41
True. Why fix it if it ain't broken.
post #364 of 1289 Old 09-05-2012, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

A small midweek update.

The riser now has it's second layer of OSB on it. At this point the riser is complete until I need to put the nosings on.
IMG_2428.jpg

The step only got one layer of OSB so that the distance from the floor to the top of the step is approximately the same as the distance from the top of the step to the top of the riser.
IMG_2429.jpg

So now that I have completed the riser I can move all the junk from the front of the theater to the back and clear out space to begin work on the front stage.
IMG_2430.jpg

And some clean shots of the front of the room prior to stage construction kick-off.
IMG_2432.jpg

IMG_2433.jpg

Stage construction should begin this weekend.
post #365 of 1289 Old 09-10-2012, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

All the way back to page two even after a midweek update! This forum has been busy.

So I made some good progress this weekend. Here are the pics to go with my chatter.

This weekend was dedicated to stage construction. I began with some 30# roofing felt.
IMG_2435.jpg

Some basic rectangular frames were constructed. Add in some pink foam in case the frame gets a little too close to the wall.
IMG_2437.jpg

Add on a couple of arcs and you get a design that everyone is familiar with. cool.gif
IMG_2438.jpg

I also decided to pick up 500# of sand while I was at the store this weekend. It worked out great because I had just enough for one bag in each large cavity. I also got some early practice on my Christmas wrapping getting the 4mil plastic into each area. tongue.gif
IMG_2443.jpg

IMG_2444.jpg

IMG_2445.jpg

I like this shot a lot.
IMG_2448.jpg

Also in the above shot you can see that I finished off the front soffit structure.

My own private sandy beach! Minus the water. biggrin.gif
Untitled.jpg

I asked the question in another thread but I will ask it here also. Is it necessary to fill all of the deep cavities with sand? I know I will be filling all the large rectangular ones but what about the deeper odd ball cavities? These areas will be away from the speakers on the other side of the screen wall. I have seen them filled and I have seen them stuffed with insulation. What should I do?

So that was the weekend progress. Will try and throw in more sand when I get a chance and maybe get the top OSB on next weekend. Going to be working in other parts of the basement this week to try and keep that part on track as well. Man it would be nice to only have one room to worry about. rolleyes.gif
post #366 of 1289 Old 09-10-2012, 06:48 AM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 57
look like it was a weekend of stage building i built mine also yours look great ... i think you do have to fill up the large cavities fully with sand ......
post #367 of 1289 Old 09-10-2012, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks snickers. Yes, it looks like several people are at about the same point. I do plan to fill the large cavities completely full (just slowly as I don't have access to a truck at all times). I was wondering about the deep curved cavities near the front of the stage. Since they wouldn't be under the speaker area are they required to have sand??
post #368 of 1289 Old 09-10-2012, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Looks great vanice! I love that stage design.

I may be wrong on this, but I'd say that you'd be fine if you filled those other areas with fiberglass since the speakers aren't directly on them.

The Austin Home Theater:

post #369 of 1289 Old 09-10-2012, 07:55 AM

Liked: 20
Vanice, Your stage framing looks great and you sure put it together fast.

Dale
post #370 of 1289 Old 09-10-2012, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks aaustin. It's been done many times before but I don't think it is getting old yet. cool.gif

That was my thinking but I figured I would put it out to the masses and see what kind of consensus I could get. I don't want to cut corners but insulation is easier than sand any day of the week. rolleyes.gif
post #371 of 1289 Old 09-10-2012, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

I've seen some people that have a sub on their riser that only fill a small section under the sub with sand. I haven't heard anyone that did that indicate any problems.

The Austin Home Theater:

post #372 of 1289 Old 09-10-2012, 08:22 AM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quote:

Thanks snickers. Yes, it looks like several people are at about the same point. I do plan to fill the large cavities completely full (just slowly as I don't have access to a truck at all times). I was wondering about the deep curved cavities near the front of the stage. Since they wouldn't be under the speaker area are they required to have sand??

from what i have read and seen here most fill the the whole stage except the first step with sand then they just use insulation for the first step cavities
post #373 of 1289 Old 09-10-2012, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hmm... what to do, what to do? Snickers - So I assume by your response that you plan to fill all cavities in your riser except the first short step? Thanks for the replies so far.
post #374 of 1289 Old 09-10-2012, 08:43 AM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quote:

Hmm... what to do, what to do? Snickers - So I assume by your response that you plan to fill all cavities in your riser except the first short step? Thanks for the replies so far.

here is perfect example from the bacon race build

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1350179/making-the-bacon-race-theater/120
post #375 of 1289 Old 09-10-2012, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My room is based off of this build. A great theater. Right now I am leaning towards filling all cavities. One thing I definitely don't want is to have a potential issue and what-if myself to death.
post #376 of 1289 Old 09-10-2012, 08:57 AM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quote:

My room is based off of this build. A great theater. Right now I am leaning towards filling all cavities. One thing I definitely don't want is to have a potential issue and what-if myself to death.

exactly i would hate to finish my room and being what if i did or that

yes i have based mine off a cross between that one and cinemar both of which are beautiful builds
post #377 of 1289 Old 09-10-2012, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers1 View Post

exactly i would hate to finish my room and being what if i did or that
yes i have based mine off a cross between that one and cinemar both of which are beautiful builds

In a way I'm glad that I did my build before Cinemar finished his, because I'd probably copy his build instead of Sandman's, and thus I would be VERY VERY broke, and also likely never finished my build until this year sometime. The woodwork really takes it up a notch, though the rest of the layout is very similar. At the same time, other than the moment you walk into the theater or show it to someone saying "Here is what I did" the lights are all off, and the rest of it really doesn't matter. I do notice the curved soffit above the screen when a movie is playing, which looks really cool, but the screen wall pretty much vanishes. You can see a bit of the side walls and stuff when the movies are playing, but the design is mostly just a personal satisfaction thing. I always think of what I could do better and am always looking to make improvements on things, even if they are a waste of money. I really do like how Cinemar did his LED strip lighting though. If I had to do it again, I would have done it like he did, with the trim along the riser and LED step strip lights, as well as the rope lights. Other than that, I think I would have kept a lot of my theater the same.

One complaint I did have with my theater involves the screen wall. So behind the wall I have tower | Sub | Tower | Sub |Tower. All of the measurements you make with the room as far as reflections, and calibration depend on the exact positions of your speakers, their angles, etc. When I have to do things like adjust the volume knob on a sub (Usually only during a calibration) you cannot reach it without either taking off the screen itself, or sort of climbing over the tower speaker next to the sub since it is in the way. But I still want the entire front screen wall to be there when I am doing the XT32 setup. So it was a pain to take it all down, adjust the levels of the subs so that it hit the 75db which was needed, and then put it all back up. Some sort of swing panel would have been more convenient. Technically though, you should only ever have to do it one time. I had to do it a few times due to sending back my pre-amp, returning my built-in sub-amps for adjustment, etc. It is a lot cheaper and easier to do it the way we did though.

As far as the stage and sand. Yeah, it's a huge PITA. As snickers posted, we filled all of the large cavities up. Fiberglass is all we put in the small step. The reasoning behind that is that the large plywood pieces we put over the top were all fastened to those sections, vs the small step which was almost independent. I don't think there is any reason at all to fill up the little ones with sand. Fiberglass will be just fine.
post #378 of 1289 Old 09-10-2012, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm sure if you hang around here long enough you will always find things that you would like to copy for your own room. Like you said, once the lights are off the design portion really doesn't matter anymore. It's about getting the function right and in a form that you like and doesn't break the bank. I could never afford Cinemar's build nor do I have the room size that I think it would take to make it look as good as his. And don't get me started on the time it would take me. rolleyes.gif

I can see how the screen could be an issue. I won't have a sub back there but may in the future. I'll keep that in mind and see if I can't come up with a good hinged screen.

I'm leaning towards doing it all. What's a few more trips up and down the stairs carrying 50# bags of sand. frown.gif
post #379 of 1289 Old 09-10-2012, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

In regards to the hinged screen, I have seen a piano hinge successfully employed before. Then you can use a scrap piece of wood or something to prop the screen up like a car hood and get behind it.

The Austin Home Theater:

post #380 of 1289 Old 09-10-2012, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think I have seen that too. Man, I feel like I am so far away from that step. I still have to figure out what colors this room is going to be. We've ruled out red so it won't be exactly like the Bacon Race Theater. biggrin.gif
post #381 of 1289 Old 09-10-2012, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think I have seen that too. Man, I feel like I am so far away from that step. I still have to figure out what colors this room is going to be. We've ruled out red so it won't be exactly like the Bacon Race Theater. biggrin.gif

Colors are tough. I'm a big fan of Red and Blue. (Not together) But for a while considered doing beige and brown (Still with black screen wall) I did a blue room with gray and white accents my first time around. BIG's theater has that Blue/Gray theme too. Really just look at tons of theater pics and decide what you like. Carpet actually was my most difficult decision. What a pain!

The screen hinge is nice to have but it's not THAT big of a deal. Usually you may only ever need to pull apart the screen wall a few times EVER after putting it up. I just complain because it annoyed me when I did have to do it.

BIG laughed a lot when I was hauling sand. I think it was 2 tons or so total. Had it delivered to my driveway (which was as far as lowes would bring it) and I took the bags all to my rec room around the back of my house. You could put several in a wheelbarrow, but that weight adds up fast. Plus I have a small hill behind my driveway so I had to run the wheelbarrow down with each load of sand. My back really was killing me after doing it. But BIG told me that "hauling sand" is a rite of passage for every theater builder. I didn't have to do the filling though, I had help early on and one of the guys filled up those cavities and smoothed it out for me while I was at work.
post #382 of 1289 Old 09-10-2012, 02:03 PM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post

Colors are tough. I'm a big fan of Red and Blue. (Not together) But for a while considered doing beige and brown (Still with black screen wall) I did a blue room with gray and white accents my first time around. BIG's theater has that Blue/Gray theme too. Really just look at tons of theater pics and decide what you like. Carpet actually was my most difficult decision. What a pain!
The screen hinge is nice to have but it's not THAT big of a deal. Usually you may only ever need to pull apart the screen wall a few times EVER after putting it up. I just complain because it annoyed me when I did have to do it.
BIG laughed a lot when I was hauling sand. I think it was 2 tons or so total. Had it delivered to my driveway (which was as far as lowes would bring it) and I took the bags all to my rec room around the back of my house. You could put several in a wheelbarrow, but that weight adds up fast. Plus I have a small hill behind my driveway so I had to run the wheelbarrow down with each load of sand. My back really was killing me after doing it. But BIG told me that "hauling sand" is a rite of passage for every theater builder. I didn't have to do the filling though, I had help early on and one of the guys filled up those cavities and smoothed it out for me while I was at work.

i don't think your helping any of us look forward to the sand part but now i know why big replied to my thread saying have fun with the sand rolleyes.gif
post #383 of 1289 Old 09-10-2012, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

I didn't have to haul sand since I didn't build a stage, but I did have to move about 5,000 pounds of concrete for a patio in my backyard. And I didn't get it delivered so I had to load it in and out of the car too. Bad choice! eek.gif

I figured out that I lifted those bags four times (shelf to cart, cart to car, car to lawn cart, lawn cart to mixer). I tell people that I lifted a school bus. biggrin.gif

The Austin Home Theater:

post #384 of 1289 Old 09-10-2012, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post

Yeah, you don't appreciate the haulin' until you actually do it. I don't care what kind of shape you're in, carrying all that sand into a basement is the experience of a lifetime.
post #385 of 1289 Old 09-10-2012, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm hoping to post up my preliminary color choices here soon. I have some GOM samples that I have been starring at for weeks. I agree that carpet could be even harder. I know what feel I want but not sure if I want a pattern or not. Going to need to step up the search.

I agree that the sand move is a royal pain but a necessary evil when you have a stage. Breaking it up so that your not carrying it all in one day should help. I hope to get about 30-40 more bags this week so that I can possibly be ready to put the top on the stage this weekend. And if I do happen to get all that moved I'm sure it will be followed by a few beers and an Ibuprofen chaser. biggrin.gif
post #386 of 1289 Old 09-11-2012, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm hoping to post up my preliminary color choices here soon. I have some GOM samples that I have been starring at for weeks. I agree that carpet could be even harder. I know what feel I want but not sure if I want a pattern or not. Going to need to step up the search.

Another thing to keep in mind about GOM is the lighting when looking at it. One big mistake I made was that I brought a piece of GOM to places and looked at it flat against other colors like paint. When I put that 'claret' colored GOM in my theater though, it was perpendicular to the light, so it looked a lot darker in the room than it did elsewhere. At least if you get the standard colors like RED, BLACK, etc. you know what colors go with them. the claret color really threw me.
post #387 of 1289 Old 09-11-2012, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That is a good point. I have been looking at the samples in lower incandescent light but laying flat vs. vertical as they would be on the wall. It would be great if I could get the lighting in and use it to help with my decisions but I'm not sure how long it will be before I have them in. Do you remember how long it took for you to get your material once you ordered it? Hopefully they don't have 8 week lead times. Right now I am thinking I would like a three color scheme but I may have to drop back to black and something else if I can't make up my mind. rolleyes.gif
post #388 of 1289 Old 09-11-2012, 06:04 PM

Liked: 10
Looking good "Vanice" if your still looking for a way to test your subs I have a couple of monoblock marantz MA200's that might do the trick coupled wiht your receiver, each is rated at 200W I believe. Your getting close to motivating me to finish the last few items on mine and possibly starting a few new things based on how yours comes out. Definitely a lot of progress since the last time I saw it in person.
post #389 of 1289 Old 09-11-2012, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey! What's up man! How long has it been since you posted in the forums?

That would be sweet if I could borrow them to test out my subs. I still need to get them mounted but that shouldn't take long after I get my brackets that I am having made. Also need to go ahead and get the rest of my speaker wire. Yup, things have been changing rather quickly here the past few weeks. Hopefully I can keep up the pace. Budget may end up slowing me down more than lack of time.

Hanging out in this forum will definitely give you the itch to upgrade or add something new. It can be downright dangerous in here. I seem to see something everyday that makes me rethink how I am doing things.

I definitely think a dead vent would help you out. Hopefully once I complete mine you can see how well it does (at least I hope it performs well rolleyes.gif) and maybe down the road we can experiment with foam or something else light to assemble a star ceiling with. Probably way down the road though.

Glad I could coax you back onto the forums. biggrin.gif
post #390 of 1289 Old 09-12-2012, 03:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Vanice, the stage looks great (and familiar biggrin.gif). Now you have me re-debating putting sand in the curved part of my stage. I don't know how much of a difference it would really make. I would be curious to see what someone like Ted or Dennis have to say. Right now it is looking like I am going to have several extra bags of sand. If I do, I will probably use the extras and start filling the largest curved cavities and work my way out.

Like you, I keep re-analyzing every decision so that I don't second guess myself later. I just take some time every once in a while to look at the completed theater thread to motivate me to press forward.

Nick
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
4pi speakers , emotiva erd speakers , Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier , ib sub , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Playstation 3 160gb System , Speaker Systems , Xbox 360 250gb Console With Kinect , xbox one
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page