AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Looks great Vanice!

See, I knew that you'd like that one. wink.gif

The Austin Home Theater:
A DIY high school project (now complete and being enjoyed everyday)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1271 Old 09-19-2012, 12:35 PM

Liked: 12
Man, I'm glad you started to narrow it down.. my head was about to explode!!! lol

post #453 of 1271 Old 09-19-2012, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by dRwOOD73 View Post

Man, I'm glad you started to narrow it down.. my head was about to explode!!! lol

You and me both. rolleyes.gif My wife would appreciate a decision soon as well. She is getting tired of me talking about it every night. biggrin.gif
post #454 of 1271 Old 09-20-2012, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My wagon is dragging this morning. Moved about 1800 lbs of sand last night. With the 500 already in there that brings my total to 2300 lbs and I am still not finished. I think I need about 3 or 4 more bags to finish the large cavities and then probably 10 more to fill the odd shaped holes in the front. Goal is to have the stage complete this weekend. I also put a quick primer coat on the soffit and sub array MDF. I used the same drywall primer that I used on the walls and ceiling. I think I will have to give it a quick sanding but for the most part it looks like it took pretty well. Anybody see any reason why I shouldn't have used drywall primer on MDF??
post #455 of 1271 Old 09-20-2012, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I also measured the arch and have redrawn that side of the room. See below...

WallElevation-14B2_zps357de234.jpg

I had it way too low.
post #456 of 1271 Old 09-20-2012, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanice View Post

Anybody see any reason why I shouldn't have used drywall primer on MDF??

Seems you are quickly becoming a "Certified stage Sandbagger",
As for the drywall primer on MDF - seems logical to me, what I would have done smile.gif

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #457 of 1271 Old 09-20-2012, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

Seems you are quickly becoming a "Certified stage Sandbagger".

After I reach my certification I only plan to use it for consulting in the future. I will not be a practicing "Sandbagger". biggrin.gif

Thanks for backing me up on the MDF. Only thing I am worried about is it not adhering to the MDF because it has a fairly slick surface. I messed around with it last night and it seemed pretty solid. I guess I will find out when I go to do a light sanding. If it all peels off then I know it didn't work. rolleyes.gif
post #458 of 1271 Old 09-20-2012, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeesh... just did some figuring on the amount of fabric I will need for my room. I came up with 13 yds of black GOM FR701, 29 yds of asteroid GOM Anchorage, and 20 yds of green apple GOM Anchorage. eek.gif Credit card is going to take a hit on this one especially since I am going to be getting my sound treatments at the same time.
post #459 of 1271 Old 09-20-2012, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 97
You'll have to serve appletinis to the ladies on opening night. Got a Green Hornet theme going here. Plus with the vertical colors along the columns, it will be a unique look!
post #460 of 1271 Old 09-20-2012, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ha! At least it's not apple pucker. biggrin.gif

I haven't seen that movie yet. Will have to add it to my long list of movies waiting for projector viewing. tongue.gif
post #461 of 1271 Old 09-21-2012, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:

Ha! At least it's not apple pucker. biggrin.gif
I haven't seen that movie yet. Will have to add it to my long list of movies waiting for projector viewing. tongue.gif

Heh. It wasn't that great or anything, just the stark green with black. It's not a color used often, so it's cool to see people do things differently.
post #462 of 1271 Old 09-21-2012, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

After I reach my certification I only plan to use it for consulting in the future. I will not be a practicing "Sandbagger". biggrin.gif
Thanks for backing me up on the MDF. Only thing I am worried about is it not adhering to the MDF because it has a fairly slick surface. I messed around with it last night and it seemed pretty solid. I guess I will find out when I go to do a light sanding. If it all peels off then I know it didn't work. rolleyes.gif

FWIW - my columns are MDF that I first rolled with ordinary flat black latex paint (several weeks later they were covered in GOM), two comments:
1) the flat black took a bit of a beating waiting for me to get to the fabric - it held up just fine.
2) The first GOM that I put up was to wrap my columns - I was very impressed on how "installer-friendly" the GOM is. 2.5 years later it remains taught and wrinke-free. In my opinion the GOM was worth every penny!

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #463 of 1271 Old 09-21-2012, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post

Heh. It wasn't that great or anything, just the stark green with black. It's not a color used often, so it's cool to see people do things differently.

Understood, moved to the bottom of the list. I think Green Lantern might actually be below it from what I have heard. Maybe the Hulk from the new Avengers movie. Now that is a flick worth multiple viewings in a home theater. cool.gif

I was trying to find colors that weren't popular amongst the various theaters I have viewed on the forums. After visiting the LoveSac store I kinda fell for a green color they had on one of their sacs in the store. Then when I saw the green apple color in the Anchorage line I was sold. Then came the chore of trying to find colors to compliment it. I'm hoping that I don't have too much trouble finding furniture and carpet to fit the room. rolleyes.gif
icftheatre likes this.
post #464 of 1271 Old 09-21-2012, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

FWIW - my columns are MDF that I first rolled with ordinary flat black latex paint (several weeks later they were covered in GOM), two comments:
1) the flat black took a bit of a beating waiting for me to get to the fabric - it held up just fine.
2) The first GOM that I put up was to wrap my columns - I was very impressed on how "installer-friendly" the GOM is. 2.5 years later it remains taught and wrinke-free. In my opinion the GOM was worth every penny!

That is good to hear. I think once I hit it with a light sanding and then two coats of black paint that it should look pretty good. Thanks for your thoughts on the GOM. It is a lot of pennies but I think it will give it that little extra that you don't get with painted walls. Based on the samples I have it does seem to be pretty strong stuff. The plan is to order a little extra to have in case of mistakes or for needed repairs in the future.
post #465 of 1271 Old 09-21-2012, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Vanice,

My Irish wife had me burned out on the color green years ago, that is until I saw the shade of green you have selected - By all means go for it !!

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #466 of 1271 Old 09-21-2012, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Vanice,
My Irish wife had me burned out on the color green years ago, that is until I saw the shade of green you have selected - By all means go for it !!

Thanks Cuzed. Hopefully you mean my fabric sample and not the bright green that I have been using in my examples. wink.gif I'm excited to get this phase of the project going. Maybe I won't be once I have to start ripping down sheet after sheet of plywood for frames. frown.gif
post #467 of 1271 Old 09-21-2012, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 92
Quote:

I'm excited to get this phase of the project going. Maybe I won't be once I have to start ripping down sheet after sheet of plywood for frames. frown.gif

Ripping the plywood wasn't too bad, but renting this guy to clean up the sawdust put me over budget.
Truck-Sawdust-437190_zps15b2373d.jpg
post #468 of 1271 Old 09-21-2012, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Code:
[code]
[/code]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

Ripping the plywood wasn't too bad, but renting this guy to clean up the sawdust put me over budget.
Truck-Sawdust-437190_zps15b2373d.jpg

Go big or go home! I actually have a couple of those running around my house right now. I could probably get their help for a case of PBR. biggrin.gif
post #469 of 1271 Old 09-23-2012, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Weekend update will be delayed due to equipment failure. frown.gif
post #470 of 1271 Old 09-25-2012, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok... finally ready to post up some progress. Weekend work ended tonight because I had a tool breakdown (more on that later).

So Saturday began with more of the same, hauling more sand to the basement. As I stated before, I had hauled down (10) 50lb bags the first day I started filling. Then later that week I hauled down an additional (36) 50lb bags. This left me just short of filling the large cavities. So Saturday morning off to the store to get more sand. Figured 14 more bags would do it. It didn't...

IMG_2452.jpg

IMG_2453.jpg

Decided to go ahead and cover the back portion of the stage with two layers of 3/4" OSB.

IMG_2454.jpg

IMG_2455.jpg

Then it was back to the store for more sand. Figured I needed 9 more to fill the rest of the front cavities.

IMG_2456.jpg

Crap, half a bag short. Figures. rolleyes.gif If your keeping track that is (70) 50lb bags of sand or 3500lbs. eek.gif

So on to something else. Built my soffit HVAC boots.

IMG_2457.jpg

IMG_2458.jpg

So Saturday ended with lots of trips to the store and nothing completed. There's always Sunday.

Sunday begins by finishing the top step of the stage. You can see my marking tool made famous by BIG. smile.gif

IMG_2460.jpg

IMG_2461.jpg

Top step complete.

IMG_2462.jpg

It was at this point that the jigsaw died. mad.gif No idea why but it was pretty old and we did work it pretty hard cutting through two layers of 3/4" OSB. Spent about 30 minutes tearing it apart trying to fix it. Did not work. So we moved on to finishing the HVAC boots.

Added some 1/2" Linacoustic to the insides.

IMG_2459.jpg

IMG_2464.jpg

IMG_2465.jpg

And got one installed in the soffit.

IMG_2466.jpg

IMG_2467.jpg

So that brings us to today. Jigsaw has been fixed so I can get back to finishing the stage. Filling the bottom step with insulation.

IMG_2463.jpg

One minor issue but I am hoping that the carpet will cover it.

IMG_2470.jpg

It is about a 3/4" gap on the backside of the first step. I could fill it I guess. What do you guys think?

And finally, a completed stage!!

IMG_2468.jpg

IMG_2469.jpg

IMG_2471.jpg

So there we go. Finally a weeked update. Going to get the last of the HVAC boots in and then try and get some black paint on the ceiling and soffit. This weekend I hope to finish the soffit and maybe get some lights up. That will be a big step. cool.gif
post #471 of 1271 Old 09-25-2012, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
The stage looks great vanice! Congratulations on such an awesome milestone!

In regards to the gap, I think that you will be fine leaving it and letting the carpet cover it up. The tack strips will bridge the gap in that small area. Plus, not many people will be stepping up onto the stage so it won't get worn.

The Austin Home Theater:
A DIY high school project (now complete and being enjoyed everyday)

post #472 of 1271 Old 09-25-2012, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Looking good and you're way ahead on me, keep it going so I can copy er I mean reference!! smile.gif

-----------------------------------------------
Chase "Fetch"

Current Theater Build

New House Build

post #473 of 1271 Old 09-26-2012, 02:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Stage looks great. How much of an overhang is there on the lip of the stage? I have been trying to figure out how much I need to leave. I am guessing 1 1/2" - 2".
post #474 of 1271 Old 09-26-2012, 04:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
The stage looks really good. Did you already paint? If so, what is your plan for the under side of the soffit?
post #475 of 1271 Old 09-26-2012, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 92
post #476 of 1271 Old 09-26-2012, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaustin View Post

The stage looks great vanice! Congratulations on such an awesome milestone!
In regards to the gap, I think that you will be fine leaving it and letting the carpet cover it up. The tack strips will bridge the gap in that small area. Plus, not many people will be stepping up onto the stage so it won't get worn.

I was thinking the same thing but was a little worried that the tack strip wouldn't have a good mounting point in this area. I guess if the carpet guy has a problem with it I can always glue in a small piece to fill the hole.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdika17 View Post

Looking good and you're way ahead on me, keep it going so I can copy er I mean reference!! smile.gif

Thanks Fetch! Looks like you are ahead of where I was as far as picking colors and panel designs. That is one thing that I underestimated going in. I should have known though since I am pretty indecisive. rolleyes.gif If I can come up with something that people want to copy that would be great! I am definitely "borrowing" my share of ideas from here. smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGiovas View Post

Stage looks great. How much of an overhang is there on the lip of the stage? I have been trying to figure out how much I need to leave. I am guessing 1 1/2" - 2".

Thanks Nick! I went with a 1 1/2" overhang and used a 1/2" roundover bit on the top and bottom. It turned out just like I was hoping. I definitely wouldn't go any shorter but if you decided to go up to 2" I think that would work really nice too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_B View Post

The stage looks really good. Did you already paint? If so, what is your plan for the under side of the soffit?

Thanks Jon! I actually have not painted yet. The dark color on the walls and soffit is actually the darkest tinted drywall primer that I could get. My walls will be completely covered in panels so I wanted it as dark as I could get it to prevent any white from showing through if the panels have small gaps between them. I do plan to paint the ceiling and soffit black. The underside of the soffit will have plywood frames covered in fabric just like the Bacon Race Theater. In locations that I don't have HVAC I will fill it with insulation to act as a bass trap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

Nice job Vanice.

Thanks Spaceman! Feels good to have this part done. This should be the last bit of cutting that has to take place in the room so I am hoping to get things cleaned up some for the next phases of construction. I guess I will have a little sanding on the soffit but that shouldn't create as big a mess as cutting all this OSB did.
post #477 of 1271 Old 09-26-2012, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Vanice,

Your sandbox, I mean stage looks terrific!
My back got sore just reading this post.
One question: what is the rectangular opening shown between your IB array and the front wall (for HVAC?)

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #478 of 1271 Old 09-26-2012, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Vanice,
Your sandbox, I mean stage looks terrific!
My back got sore just reading this post.
One question: what is the rectangular opening shown between your IB array and the front wall (for HVAC?)

Thanks cuzed! Tell me about it. I've been hitting the Advil pretty regularly here this last week or so. rolleyes.gif

That opening is in case I ever need to get into the IB enclosure and roll around in a sea of insulation. biggrin.gif Basically I don't fit through the holes (nor feel comfortable trying) so I needed another way in in the event that I needed to add more bracing or something. If a speaker needs work I can just pull that out and get to anything I need. So that opening will hopefully never be needed. I plan to make a filler piece of drywall and OSB but have kinda been putting it off. I guess it is time to fill it in.
post #479 of 1271 Old 09-26-2012, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I would hate to be troubleshooting in that IB cavity with the LFE "live" smile.gifsmile.gif

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #480 of 1271 Old 09-26-2012, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Not without some serious hearing protection, some motion sickness pills, and a hazmat suit. biggrin.gif
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Speaker Systems , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Playstation 3 160gb System , Xbox 360 250gb Console With Kinect
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page