post #631 of 1271 Old 11-09-2012, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

I'd also like to throw Slate Path into the mix.
I can't remember where you landed as far as a final panel layout/design. Can you repost the rendering to refresh our memories? That might help swing us one way or the other on carpet selection. Also, what color are your seats?

Sorry, forgot to post about the seats. At this point I won't have my seating for awhile do to funds needing to be deployed elsewhere. They will eventually be LoveSac sactionals but I don't know what color. Luckily I can order them in just about any color or shade so I'm not too worried about matching the seating. It will be made to match the room. In the mean time I will be using a brown leather sofa and recliner that I had at my old house. It will look terrible but this is what I have to do for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1271 Old 11-09-2012, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Update of work for the day.

The a/v rack was delivered today.

IMG_2564.jpg

Did some wiring today.

IMG_2567.jpg

IMG_2568.jpg

Primed the columns.

IMG_2576.jpg

IMG_2575.jpg

And got the treatments up in the front.

IMG_2569.jpg

IMG_2570.jpg

IMG_2571.jpg

These will be painted black so they don't show up so bad.

IMG_2572.jpg

Hopefully another productive day tomorrow.
post #633 of 1271 Old 11-09-2012, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 92
That was a productive day. Looking good.
post #634 of 1271 Old 11-09-2012, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Nice progress - how does the room sound with the front treated?

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #635 of 1271 Old 11-09-2012, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I can't say that I really notice much of a difference right now. I'll try and keep an ear out tomorrow.
post #636 of 1271 Old 11-09-2012, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanice View Post

It looks like your UPS man knows how to read the labels. rolleyes.gif

Seriously though, everything looks great. Keep up the awesome work.

The Austin Home Theater:
A DIY high school project (now complete and being enjoyed everyday)

post #637 of 1271 Old 11-10-2012, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I know. I still need to open that box and make sure everything is ok. I got a USPS package the other day and the entire end of the pak was open. Everything was there but I'm really starting to wonder if these operations can take care of anything.
post #638 of 1271 Old 11-10-2012, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

At least it wasn't a computer monitor.

Still, I hope everything made it in one piece. Are the other two boxes marked fragile, or just the one that looks like it fell off the truck?
post #639 of 1271 Old 11-10-2012, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ha! I have seen that video. I so want to put cameras around my house to catch people like this should the need ever arise. All the boxes have one fragile sticker on them except the one that got torn up. It had one on about every side! rolleyes.gif Still need to check it and will report on it this evening.
post #640 of 1271 Old 11-10-2012, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

No picture updates tonight. Finished running all speaker wires, ran HDMI for projector (after testing it first biggrin.gif), and put some black paint on the columns. Also made a trip or two to the home improvement stores to get some 2x2's and 3/4" ply. Got the soffit bottoms cut and painted. Should be able to wrap them and install tomorrow.

Tomorrow will be a short work day unfortunately. Hope to get the 4Pi face plates recut so that I can glue them up this week. Might get a chance to locate my columns and get their mounting method attached to the walls.

Checked my packages and it appears that everything arrived mostly intact. A couple scratches and hardware scattered through the boxes but overall ok.
post #641 of 1271 Old 11-11-2012, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Oh, another slow day. Not the results I was hoping for that's for sure.

A few pictures from yesterday to start.

Panels for the soffit bottoms were cut and painted.

IMG_2579.jpg

Speaker wires run.

IMG_2580.jpg

IMG_2581.jpg

Also put a first coat of black on the columns.

IMG_2590.jpg

And now for today's work.

We enlarged the holes in the 4Pi's front panel.

And then on to wrapping panels.

Here is the panel wrapping station.

IMG_2584.jpg

IMG_2589.jpg

Starting to wrap.

IMG_2582.jpg

IMG_2583.jpg

For my attachment method I am trying velcro. Now I won't be using velcro exclusively because I don't believe it is strong enough to hold the panels but am trying to keep them as removable as possible. The plan is to throw in a few finishing nails to help secure it. I didn't have the right nails otherwise I would have put up the panels instead of staging them.

Velcro on the soffit.

IMG_2587.jpg

Velcro on panels.

IMG_2586.jpg

IMG_2588.jpg

Not sure if I will get a chance to install a couple of the panels or not this week. If nothing else they will go up easy first thing next weekend.

And a parting shot of the Rackman rack waiting to go downstairs and be assembled.

IMG_2592.jpg

So I am behind where I wanted to be but I think I can make good progress next weekend as it will be a 3 day weekend for me. Fingers crossed I can get something done during the week. rolleyes.gif
post #642 of 1271 Old 11-12-2012, 03:26 AM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 206
For the panels that go underneath your soffits - are you working from a professional acoustic plan and using the soffits as bass traps? How did you calculate the opening sizes and positions?
post #643 of 1271 Old 11-12-2012, 03:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I am working from a professional plan but deviating slightly. He told me just to make them all solid. That is the case for 75% of the soffit. I left about 10' open in one area. Will fill it with insulation, Kraft face down.

The openings that show in my pictures are for the vent boxes in the soffit. I have four box locations.

Yes, deviating from the plan is probably a no-no but I have cut and wrapped them already so at this point there is no turning back. They will be somewhat removeable so if I find that I am having issues once the room is complete I can take the time then to swap them out. Part of revision 1.1. biggrin.gif
post #644 of 1271 Old 11-12-2012, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Looking good Vanice! So much of this reminds me of the work Big and I did. It's an odd feeling to watch it happen again elsewhere!

Have you tested the velcro yet? That plywood can be heavy, I know we just nailed it up there.
post #645 of 1271 Old 11-12-2012, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Vanice,
Has your carpet been ordered yet?
Those column panels are shaping up nice - looking forward to seeing more!

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #646 of 1271 Old 11-12-2012, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post

Looking good Vanice! So much of this reminds me of the work Big and I did. It's an odd feeling to watch it happen again elsewhere!
Have you tested the velcro yet? That plywood can be heavy, I know we just nailed it up there.

Thanks! It should look familiar. I am "borrowing" very heavily from your build. biggrin.gif I have not tried just the velcro. I have my doubts that the solid panels would stay up on their own with just velcro. The plan is to add a few finishing nails to each panel to aid the velcro. Should still be able to pull them down if I needed to in the future. Just didn't want to add adhesive, nail them in place, and never be able to make changes without doing a major demo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

Vanice,
Has your carpet been ordered yet?
Those column panels are shaping up nice - looking forward to seeing more!

I have not ordered carpet yet. Unfortunately I don't think even if I ordered it today that I would be able to get it installed in time (based on what I have heard from two different places). I need to make a few calls on it today to see about pricing and availability at other stores.

They are definitely looking better. Next step is to add some holes for the jumper wires (for the LEDs), then put another coat of black on them. After that I will be adding some batting to the curves and wrapping them with fabric. Hopefully I planned correctly and have enough fabric. rolleyes.gif
post #647 of 1271 Old 11-12-2012, 06:01 PM

Liked: 36
Vanice that is one awesome home theater your building. i dont know how you find the time to do all the building and posting as well..

Just amzing.. im just starting up an ht build in my basement as well.. i have an older bungalow my room will be 20 x 12 x 7ft 1in..

im just waiting for a spray foam contractor to come and spray my basement walls and headers.. 2 inches of close cell 2lb foam.. it is framed with 2 x 4 mostly..

would i be alright putting up osb on the frame with the 1.5 inch space to the foam for the room acoustics?

thanks
post #648 of 1271 Old 11-12-2012, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Looking good Vanice !
post #649 of 1271 Old 11-12-2012, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Delta. It helps to have a desk job and access to the Internet at work. Although it does hurt my productivity at work. biggrin.gif

You should definitely consider starting your own build thread on here so people can follow along and you can ask questions to the masses.

What are your soundproofing goals? Spray foam is good for thermal insulation but not as good for sound insulating. You can attach OSB to the framing with an air gap but you also need to decouple the wall from the rest of the house framing using IB3 clips (or equivalent) or by framing the room with room-within-a-room techniques. Again, all goes back to what your goals are, budget, and space. There are numerous builds on here you can reference and plenty of people with all types of experience. Let me know if you have any more questions and I can try and give you my thoughts.

Added the face pieces to the 4Pi's tonight. Also went to Lowes to start the carpet process. Should have them out this week to measure everything. Unfortunately install will not be before Thanksgiving. frown.gif
post #650 of 1271 Old 11-12-2012, 10:52 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:

Update of work for the day.
The a/v rack was delivered today.
IMG_2564.jpg
Did some wiring today.
IMG_2567.jpg
IMG_2568.jpg
Primed the columns.
IMG_2576.jpg
IMG_2575.jpg
And got the treatments up in the front.
IMG_2569.jpg
IMG_2570.jpg
IMG_2571.jpg
These will be painted black so they don't show up so bad.
IMG_2572.jpg
Hopefully another productive day tomorrow.

What kind of panels are these that you are using on your front wall and corners?
post #651 of 1271 Old 11-13-2012, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Jimmy - I believe they are 2" Knauf Ecose Acoustical boards, 2'x4'. I say believe because I purchased my acoustical supplies from the guy who did my room plan and never really got a list of what I was buying, only how much to put where. I do know that it is equivelant to OC703. The front wall is a single layer from corner to corner. Sitting in front of that in each corner are pieces cut into 17"x17"x24" triangles stacked floor to ceiling.
TWSS likes this.
post #652 of 1271 Old 11-13-2012, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

I used the same boards. Love the dark color and the fact that they are formaldehyde-free. They were also half the price of OC703 in my area.

http://www.knaufinsulation.us/products/building_insulation/commercial_building_insulation/insulation_board_with_ecose.aspx
post #653 of 1271 Old 11-13-2012, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Those pics remind me I need to paint those nail heads and plastic caps still. rolleyes.gif
post #654 of 1271 Old 11-13-2012, 06:45 PM

Liked: 36
Hi Vanice thanks for the tips.. will have to do alot more reading around here. to learn more.. my budget is not big and wil be doing all the work that i can by myself.. eg except the sprayfoaming.. which im still waiting for, chilly in here with all the headers wide open.. this week or nexts.. i like the contrator.. .. so air pocket is ok good thanks..

most amazing build home theater Vanice.. are you upto 20k in the basement now? not to be rude or anything but you have invested so much time energy and money and doing a great professional job
just wondering why only a denon 3313ci reciever.... might want a bit more power... 4520ci....

i was just at my citys hi end audio shop today starting to look at the goodies for my effort.. listening to the hawk in the forrest with arrow flying by then the strom rolled in with big thunder
the rainmakers came from the sky with heavey winds but the dream really came with the full metal and mcintosh...

just wanted to ask what is that faberic with the nail heads at eh back of the stage that kinda looks like coloured fiber glass.. ? do you cover that with a cloth?

keep up the great work Vanice
post #655 of 1271 Old 11-14-2012, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltadube View Post

Hi Vanice thanks for the tips.. will have to do alot more reading around here. to learn more.. my budget is not big and wil be doing all the work that i can by myself.. eg except the sprayfoaming.. which im still waiting for, chilly in here with all the headers wide open.. this week or nexts.. i like the contrator.. .. so air pocket is ok good thanks..
most amazing build home theater Vanice.. are you upto 20k in the basement now? not to be rude or anything but you have invested so much time energy and money and doing a great professional job
just wondering why only a denon 3313ci reciever.... might want a bit more power... 4520ci....
i was just at my citys hi end audio shop today starting to look at the goodies for my effort.. listening to the hawk in the forrest with arrow flying by then the strom rolled in with big thunder
the rainmakers came from the sky with heavey winds but the dream really came with the full metal and mcintosh...
just wanted to ask what is that faberic with the nail heads at eh back of the stage that kinda looks like coloured fiber glass.. ? do you cover that with a cloth?
keep up the great work Vanice

Thanks Delta. I haven't had a chance to tally up my receipts (kinda affraid to) so at this point I don't have a really good idea. If I had to guess I would say that I have surpassed that number but I am doing a full basement finish. Just theater expenses, I have no idea.

I actually picked up the 3312ci. They were having a blowout sale on Amazon because the new receivers were getting ready to drop and I just couldn't pass it up. I had never really planned to get a high power receiver because I just didn't think I needed it. The 4Pi's that I am building are very efficient speakers and do not require a lot of power. The surrounds are another story and I may have to address that in the future. But by going with a reasonably priced receiver with preouts I can hopefully add a couple of Emotiva amps to do the heavy lifting down the road.

It's actually not fabric. It is 2" Knauf Ecose acoustical boards. That is the actual color of the product which is great because now I don't have to worry about having a light colored product behind my screen that I have to cover.

I will do my best. Hopefully I will have some good progress photos to share after this weekend.
post #656 of 1271 Old 11-14-2012, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:

If I had to guess I would say that I have surpassed that number....

Ahhh!!!

Everyone knows that you're not supposed to think about that! biggrin.gif

The Austin Home Theater:
A DIY high school project (now complete and being enjoyed everyday)

post #657 of 1271 Old 11-14-2012, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ha! I am really trying not to because if I did I may be forced to stretch this build over another year or two. It's just hard when the numbers are starring you in the face every month on your statement. rolleyes.gif
post #658 of 1271 Old 11-14-2012, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Trying to get an update from Jamestown on whether or not I can expect to have my screen by Thanksgiving. I don't have a good feeling about it since they are dealing with some family matters. Already a week past the time I was quoted. Going to be really dissappointed if I don't have a screen for the extended holiday weekend. Would have thought ordering in early October would have given me plenty of time. rolleyes.gif
post #659 of 1271 Old 11-14-2012, 10:55 AM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:

Trying to get an update from Jamestown on whether or not I can expect to have my screen by Thanksgiving. I don't have a good feeling about it since they are dealing with some family matters. Already a week past the time I was quoted. Going to be really dissappointed if I don't have a screen for the extended holiday weekend. Would have thought ordering in early October would have given me plenty of time. rolleyes.gif

There's always the SeymourAV as an alternative (and better) screen. They seem to have quick-ship programs for standard sized screen and have metal frames and woven polyester screens which will not warp and creep like wood frames with PVC screens. I would think you are totally justified in cancelling your order if they cannot make their honored ship date a few times over.
post #660 of 1271 Old 11-14-2012, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

There's always the SeymourAV as an alternative (and better) screen. They seem to have quick-ship programs for standard sized screen and have metal frames and woven polyester screens which will not warp and creep like wood frames with PVC screens. I would think you are totally justified in cancelling your order if they cannot make their honored ship date a few times over.

I agree that it is probably a better frame (I am getting the centerstage xD material in the Jamestown) but I simply cannot afford the added expense (more than double the price if the Seymour website pricing is accurate). If I cancelled the order I would not have a screen until next year due to the finance committee requesting me to reel back in the spending. Yes, it sucks being at the mercy of someone else. I just hope they respond favorably to my email request to get me the screen by Thanksgiving. Luckily I'm only about a day trip for shipping if they can get it out by Monday.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Speaker Systems , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Playstation 3 160gb System , Xbox 360 250gb Console With Kinect
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page