The Grove Theater and Basement Build - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1271 Old 11-27-2012, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Gettting near the end! Carpet and screen! You must be getting excited!

Soffit work is looking great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1271 Old 11-27-2012, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

That last round of photos looks great !
Love the paint job on the trim for the can lights smile.gif

Thanks. Those are the ones that turned out well. I still have a bunch in the garage that need stripped down and redone. After seeing these in place I have moved the trim pieces up the priority list. If I find myself with a free moment this week I will begin the process of repainting the others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_hokie View Post

Yea, I paid a ton for the carpet, but it really did define the space.

I can't imagine what some of these rooms on here cost. I went with what I consider a slightly below mid-level carpet and it was still crazy. So because of that we will not be able to carpet the rest of the basement right now. I'm going to have to put down plastic between the top of the stairs and the theater room to keep the dirt traffic to a minimum. I hope I'm far enough along when I get the call for install. eek.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWCR View Post

That's good to hear vanice! Still hopeful that mine ships this week as well.
Soffits are looking great!

Apparently you have to keep stalking them to get some results. wink.gif I just hope everything is the right size and quality made. I won't hesitate to raise a stink if I don't feel like I got the quality I paid for knowing that they were distracted with other things throughout the fabrication process. We'll have to compare notes once we both have them installed. What projector are you using on yours?

Thanks! The soffit panels actually went pretty quickly and the light trims really finished it off. It's a shame that everything is black because it all kinda blends together. Although it does help hide the minor blemishes here and there. wink.gif
post #723 of 1271 Old 11-27-2012, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post

Gettting near the end! Carpet and screen! You must be getting excited!
Soffit work is looking great!

Thanks Damelon! I'm very happy with how the soffit turned out. It all kinda blends together which is good and bad. I don't think I would have wanted to paint it gray though.

It does feel like I am getting close and then I realize I have a lot of wall panels to make. rolleyes.gif I have to jump over to the rest of the basement and get some trim up and paint on the walls so it will take away some of my time to dedicate to the theater. Stay tuned though, it's about time to test out the fabric wrap on the columns. eek.gif
post #724 of 1271 Old 11-27-2012, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Vanice,

I believe you went with GOM.
from my experience; the GOM has just enough stretch, that when coupled with a pneumatic stapler >> it will be a pleasant task smile.gif

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #725 of 1271 Old 11-27-2012, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The GOM FR701 that I used for the soffits went pretty smoothly. The pneumatic stapler was a breeze to work with. Only thing that remotely slowed me down was folding the corners and even that wasn't bad after you figured out your method. Now the wall panels will use GOM Anchorage and it seems to be a little stiffer than the FR701. Not sure if that will create any problems or not. I don't think it will snag as much on the wood so that should help. I'm really looking forward to getting one wrapped. It's the changes to the room that keep me pushing forward.
post #726 of 1271 Old 11-27-2012, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 92
Congrats on your screen shipment. I can understand the frustration.

I just ordered my carpet too, so we are pretty much in the same spot. I'm a little ahead of you on fabric, but I found that went a lot faster than I thought it would. Cutting the wood and assembling the frames took quite a bit of time, but wrapping them went pretty fast. You'll be watching movies in no time.
post #727 of 1271 Old 11-27-2012, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Spaceman. Luckily I am so terrible at estimating my speed of completion that I had no need for the screen this past weekend. BUT.... now that I know it is coming I can start planning for the screen wall and projector mount.

I just read your post about the carpet and made comment on your threshold. I have two doors I need them for and haven't even begun to research. Congrats on the carpet purchase. Sounds like you did a lot better at estimating cost than I did. It was shocking to me. It was nearly double what I thought it would be. eek.gif

True, I do have some catching up to do. I haven't even begun building my frames yet. If the weather is nice this weekend I plan to be out in the driveway ripping plywood into strips. Ready to get some color on the walls, that's for sure. smile.gif
post #728 of 1271 Old 11-28-2012, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Small update.

Screen showed up today. A little damage to the box. Hopefully the frame is ok. Will be a little while before I can get it assembled.

Added the bracing to the 4Pi's.

And then started putting the backs on. Here is the first one being completed.

Front View:

Back View:

And finally tonight I started laying out the crossovers. Here is a shot of the crossover separated into high and low sections.

I will be looking to shrink them down, solder them up, and get them mounted to some scrap wood tomorrow hopefully. If I can get all the backs on I may be able to route the edges this weekend. Might actually have a useable speaker sometime next week. biggrin.gif
post #729 of 1271 Old 11-28-2012, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanice View Post

Apparently you have to keep stalking them to get some results. wink.gif I just hope everything is the right size and quality made. I won't hesitate to raise a stink if I don't feel like I got the quality I paid for knowing that they were distracted with other things throughout the fabrication process. We'll have to compare notes once we both have them installed. What projector are you using on yours?
Thanks! The soffit panels actually went pretty quickly and the light trims really finished it off. It's a shame that everything is black because it all kinda blends together. Although it does help hide the minor blemishes here and there. wink.gif
Will definitely let you know how it goes when the screen gets here. Think I will send another email in the morning as a reminder...

Projector was delivered today. Panasonic 8000. Trying really hard to keep it in the box, but I might have to take it out and shoot some video on the wall. Just to make sure I didn't get a defective one rolleyes.gif
post #730 of 1271 Old 11-28-2012, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Looking so awesome Vanice...

please do tell are you related to superman... dont know how you do all this work so fast and constantly go go go..

great job and great informative posts

thanks

ps hope this thread is still on the forums long after your enjoying your HT...
post #731 of 1271 Old 11-29-2012, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Will definitely let you know how it goes when the screen gets here. Think I will send another email in the morning as a reminder...
Projector was delivered today. Panasonic 8000. Trying really hard to keep it in the box, but I might have to take it out and shoot some video on the wall. Just to make sure I didn't get a defective one rolleyes.gif

I know what you mean about keeping a projector in the box. I did take mine out when I first got it to make sure it was working. Then it was right back in the box until the room was ready. It has been in that box taunting me for almost a year now. frown.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltadube View Post

Looking so awesome Vanice...
please do tell are you related to superman... dont know how you do all this work so fast and constantly go go go..
great job and great informative posts
thanks
ps hope this thread is still on the forums long after your enjoying your HT...

Thanks for the compliment delta! Unfortunately no superman running in my family lineage. If there was I wouldn't have needed a drywall lift. wink.gif

I don't feel like I am making very good progress during the week as I only get an hour or two to try and work but I try and make up for it on the weekends. Unfortunately this weekend will be busy and I will only have Sunday to really do any work. Probably going to spend that outside ripping plywood since the weather looks like it is going to cooperate. With carpet coming in about two weeks I have a lot to get done before then. eek.gif
post #732 of 1271 Old 12-03-2012, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The Weekend Update:

Well, it was a relatively productive weekend even though I only got to work a couple of hours on Saturday because of plans. Here we go...

Here are some horn gaskets for the 4Pi's that I cut out of shower pan liner. This actually was done last week but I never got around to posting it.

On Saturday I finished off the blocking in the entryway. The only area left to finish is the back right corner. Should be able to knock that out in about an hour.

Still have to figure out my method for finishing the arch but I think I have an idea.

Then it was on to a little electrical in the equipment room. Installed three Insteon switches and one Insteon dimmer. These control the LED lights for the IB, the LED soffit lights, the uplights for the front speakers, and the LED step lights.

I still have one more Insteon Inlinc to install. It will control the column LEDs.

Sunday began with a trip to the store and a little wood cutting in between rain showers. Bought 3 pieces of 3/4" sanded plywood and proceeded to cut them down into 1 1/2" strips. The result...

This will almost be enough to construct all the frames. Probably going to need another 10 strips or so.

I then moved inside and ran some wiring for the column LED lights. If I was permitting this might be a no-no but I'm not sooo.... put shallow boxes up high behind the top column piece to power the LEDs down each side of the column. Each column gets a box.

Each box has a line in, a line out to the next column, and two lines out (one for each side of the column, not shown). There will be three columns on each power supply (approx. 25 ft. of LEDs per power supply).

After that I went to work on the columns. I started by cutting all the notches and holes I would need for running wires through them. This took longer than I thought it would and was just flat boring. You can see the notches in upcoming pics.

Then it was time to try out wrapping. The columns will be wrapped on the front radius with a thicker black fabric (to help hide the screw heads, smooth out the radius, and give it some cushion). Here is the process of wrapping a small upper section.

1) Cut a piece of black batting for the first layer.

2) Flip it over and line it up so that it is even on each side. Notice the notches.

3) Wrap one end, staple, and repeat with other side making sure the fabric is pulled tight.

4) Pull the top side and bottom sides up and staple. I have learned a slightly better way to do this in the future so there won't be cutouts like this one shows. This one is fine though as the top will be up against the soffit and the bottom will be covered by the middle speaker section.

5) Layer one done.

6) Now for a little color. Got the fabric station set up. Same as before... cut a piece to fit.

7) After following the same process as layer one, here is the finished upper column section.

I'm not real crazy about my corners but I think I have figured out a new way to wrap them so that they will look cleaner. Here is a shot of the corner.

Luckily this piece won't be front and center so I can hide my first effort. smile.gif

I only had enough time left in the day to do the first layer on one of the larger sections. Here it is next to the finished small section.

And last but not least, the small section shown in it's future final location.

So overall not a bad weekends worth of work. This week I want to work on getting the crossovers mounted to boards. I would like to get some wood putty on the speakers and get them ready for sealer and paint. I also need to find a supplier for 5/4 Pine to make my goal post out of. My local Home Depot does not carry it. And next weekend I will construct a frame or two and see if I can't start changing the look of this room. biggrin.gif
post #733 of 1271 Old 12-03-2012, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow, that puts my weekend progress to shame. Nice work, as always. I like the added step of the padding under the fabric. For your application, I think it helps a lot. As with everything else, the first one always takes the longest. You'll perfect your methods as you do more and more of those, and each one gets a bit faster. One tip as you move forward is not to be shy with the staples. I found that when I left gaps between staples, it translated to the front of the panel with a slightly wavy edge. You could see where the fabric was pulled tight at a staple location and where there was a little more slack between staples. I think this might be even harder to control with padding underneath, so be generous with your staple use.

Here is the staple pattern I went with. Probably overkill, but it gave me a fairly crisp edge.

Another thing that helped control the waviness was how I held the fabric prior to stapling. After pulling it tight, I found it was better to hold it down using the length of my finger vs. the tips of my fingers. Holding it down with the length produced a nice long section that had the same amount of pressure along the entire length. I could quickly put in 5 or 6 staples along the edge of my finger and that entire area would be nice and tight. I found it difficult when holding the fabric tight with 2 or 3 widely spaced finger tips. I could put a staple or two at each finger tip, but it didn't always yield satisfactory results when I tried to pull the sections between fingertips to the same tightness. I'm realizing this is hard to explain without pictures. Hopefully you get the idea.
post #734 of 1271 Old 12-03-2012, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Spaceman. It did take a long time but by the time I was finishing the small section I had already gained a lot of "the next time I do this I am going to..." experience. I was a little leery about putting a bunch of staples close to the edge because I wasn't sure if they could be seen or not. I will probably go back and add a bunch once I see how visible the back sides of the overhangs are. It was getting late last night when I took the picture of it in place so I didn't really pay attention how visible the back side would be. That pattern you show looks pretty much like what I did for the ones I put on the bottom of my soffit. My wall panels will look just like yours as far as staples are concerned. smile.gif
post #735 of 1271 Old 12-03-2012, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

What staples are you using? I was able to find a box of 10,000 for $6 on Amazon.
post #736 of 1271 Old 12-03-2012, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Grex I think. Purchased them off Amazon. I have 20,000 3/8" long and 10,000 1/4" long right now.
post #737 of 1271 Old 12-03-2012, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Vanice,
That is a most impressive pile of plywood strips!

For your first effort on covering the column panels > you have done very well.
It won't be long and we will be seeing some very distinguishing photos, and style points smile.gif

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #738 of 1271 Old 12-03-2012, 09:50 AM

Hi Vanice.. super man back at building perfection...

the black fabric padding what material is it ?

i take it these are diffusers for the length of the wall etc.. acoustic treatments to the room...

so you had a professional plan to start your ht project... perhaps thats a good place for me to start as well... may i ask about how much you paid for that?

and the plan is telling you where to place acoustic treatments? i take it the front and back walls are massive bass traps?

wow ht is a ton of work and planning and your execution is awesome ...

i love building but dont have your talent.. im going to give it a go tho.. my basement is all foamed up on the walls now... warm... 2x4 are tight to wall.. vibrate ez bad i guess..

have a good day
post #739 of 1271 Old 12-03-2012, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

Vanice,
That is a most impressive pile of plywood strips!
For your first effort on covering the column panels > you have done very well.
It won't be long and we will be seeing some very distinguishing photos, and style points smile.gif

Thanks cuzed. I hope they are all pretty straight. The saw blade started to get a little warm and give us some fits. Only took us about an hour and a half of cutting to get that pile. Seemed like a lot longer... rolleyes.gif

I feel the same way. Not bad for a first effort. Need to tiddy it up some but it is giving me the look I was hoping for. After I get these columns done I will be ready to roll out some green. Looking forward to that. smile.gif
post #740 of 1271 Old 12-03-2012, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltadube View Post

Hi Vanice.. super man back at building perfection...
the black fabric padding what material is it ?
i take it these are diffusers for the length of the wall etc.. acoustic treatments to the room...
so you had a professional plan to start your ht project... perhaps thats a good place for me to start as well... may i ask about how much you paid for that?
and the plan is telling you where to place acoustic treatments? i take it the front and back walls are massive bass traps?
wow ht is a ton of work and planning and your execution is awesome ...
i love building but dont have your talent.. im going to give it a go tho.. my basement is all foamed up on the walls now... warm... 2x4 are tight to wall.. vibrate ez bad i guess..
have a good day

Thanks delta. The black fabric is just something I found at the local craft store. It is fuzzy on one side and felt-like on the other. I was looking for something with some cushion to it and this fit the bill. I turned the fuzzy side down and it did a really good job of smoothing out the radius and covering the screw heads that were sticking up.

I assume you are talking about the pieces I am wrapping? These are the columns that will house my surround speakers. There are six in the room (2 in the front for decoration only).

I had Bpape do an accoustic plan for me. It is really reasonable if you don't need drawings or anything. You can PM me or him (his username is Bpape) for pricing. He told me what I needed where and even totaled up the materials and quoted me a price for everything. I ended up buying the acoustic treatments and my fabric from him because it was easier, and probably just as cheap, then trying to find it online somewhere. Yes, a lot of the front and back walls will go towards controlling bass.

I thought I had a good grasp on what was involved in doing a full fledged room and I under-estimated it. It is a lot of work (boy did I mis-judge the time it would take to complete) and money but it all depends on what you want out of the room. I wanted to do the best I could do within the budget I had. Soundproofing was important as well as treating the room so that I could get the best quality sound. The IB and building my own speakers were things that I wanted as well. You just have to make a list of the things that are important to you, figure out what you can do yourself to save some money, and then budget for the other things. Thanks for following along delta!
post #741 of 1271 Old 12-03-2012, 12:16 PM

Hi Vanice i sure do enjoy looking at what your doing... im a bit handy capped with bad knees arthritis.. can afford to pay people to do the work.. have to do it all.. im slow.. but learning alot by
following along your many many excellent posts... been reading alot on acoustic.. i do need a nice theater listen room .. not enough space in my living room small bugalow..

a new treated room will be a goal for nexts yr in my basement..

heres a pic125920.jpg1308040.jpg

new stereo speakers need better room
post #742 of 1271 Old 12-03-2012, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Looking good delta. It does appear that your equipment could use a place to spread out a bit. smile.gif

Biggest advise I can give is to have a well thought out plan in advance. I had most of mine figured out ahead of time but not 100% complete. It led to a lot of head scratching at times as I was trying to figure out the last couple of details. Plus, it can prevent you from having to rip open walls and ceilings to put in additonal cabling, etc. after the fact because you didn't plan for them in the beginning. Plan, plan, plan. And this forum has been a huge help. I have learned so much in the last year just from following other builds. This site truely is a great resource. Hopefully I can return the favor at some point for all those who have helped me along the way.
post #743 of 1271 Old 12-03-2012, 12:45 PM

guess i should have said cant afford not can lol..

energy veritas speakers 6.3 just got em last week.. i also pic up your reciever denon 3313ci all on great sale prices up here in Canada..

did you call those dry wall bracket L B clips did you buy em at home depot.. the hd up here sells no acoutical stuff except for safe and sound roxul mineral wool insulation..

i came across a product called genie clips to isolate dry wall with big rubber ball and metal clamp..

good for building base traps with from what i read ...

see the foam in the lower part of the pic is a wooden acoutical diffuser i build with scape 2x3 was follow a plan based on 2x2 just want to try it took alot of glueing.. lol

thing wieghts about 80 lbs..

have a great day...

post #744 of 1271 Old 12-03-2012, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm not exactly sure which clips you are talking about? The only "L" shaped clips I used were IB-3 clips and I purchased those from the soundproofing company. I don't think you will find anything like that at the local home improvement store. I purchased my IB-3 clips, whisper clips, and green glue from them. Good company to work with.
post #745 of 1271 Old 12-03-2012, 01:13 PM

Vanice your so lucky you have all the stuff you need in America... up in Canada much harder to find and i bet cost way more...

guess it was the ib 3 clips.. to isolate the dry wall room in a room.. i need about 140 at 5 each.. what do ib 3 go for? sorry if im out of line with any posting just let me know..

i think these clips are one key thing for a ht build.. other wise the whole house be vibrating.. lol

the foam 2x4 2x3s are like tight elastic bands now..

have a great day Vanice thanks very much for you time and work..
post #746 of 1271 Old 12-03-2012, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

$3-$4 bucks each for the IB-3 clips if I remember correctly. Yes, separating the walls and ceiling from the rest of the house is key in keeping the sound in the room and not transmitting throughout the rest of the house.
post #747 of 1271 Old 12-05-2012, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Finished one of the 4Pi crossovers. Haven't had a chance to test it out yet. Hope I did it right. eek.gif

post #748 of 1271 Old 12-10-2012, 03:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I'd say those look really good Vanice, but I don't have a clue about speaker building. Every time I think, "Maybe I should build some speakers", I see pics like this. It reminds me that I'd be in WAY over my head, and should just keep watching others... Good luck!
post #749 of 1271 Old 12-10-2012, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'd say those look really good Vanice, but I don't have a clue about speaker building. Every time I think, "Maybe I should build some speakers", I see pics like this. It reminds me that I'd be in WAY over my head, and should just keep watching others... Good luck!

Thanks! If it weren't for pictures of other builds I probably would have been left scratching my head at the schematic. Now that I have one complete it makes more sense. Still trying to finish up the boxes so I can try this one out before finishing the other crossovers.
post #750 of 1271 Old 12-10-2012, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Weekend Update:

This one will be fairly short and sweet because I was pretty limited on work time this weekend.

Spent some time during the week applying wood filler to speaker cabinets. On Saturday I spent some time sanding everything down and applying a coat of sanding sealer to each cabinet.

Then I spent the rest of my short work day on Saturday addressing the riser and turning it into a bass trap. This is phase one of my multi step plan to get ready for carpet on Friday. The plan was to cut slots along the back wall and cover with HVAC diffusers (one each joist cavity) and also cut various size holes in the front 2x12 of the riser (also one each joist cavity). Here are the slots along the back wall. These will be covered by 4x12 registers painted black.

And here is the front of the riser. I had a little fun with the shapes. smile.gif Specifications were various sizes (3" to 5") and one each joist cavity. These will be covered by carpet along the face of the riser.

Phase two of the plan was to get the nosings on the riser. I ran out of time to complete it but I will show you what I have done to this point. I will finish it up this week along with get it painted.

After hitting the store for supplies it was time to get down to business. Set up the router table and routed two 8' pieces of oak. 1/2" roundover on the front and about a 1/4" (didn't use the full profile) on the back.

Glue and nail on 1/2x3/4 oak base shoe.

Hauled it all downstairs and it was at this point that I realized this job wasn't going to be as easy as I thought it would be. I have two columns at each front corner of the riser. I was not going to be able to install the columns after I put the nosing in due to the way I installed the blocking on the walls. This meant that I would have to wrap the two bottom column portions, install them, and then install the riser nosing. This is the reason I did not get the nosings complete. Too much time spent wrapping columns that I hadn't planned on doing right now. Anywho... so I wrapped two base columns (turned out much better this time if I do say so myself, sorry no closeup pictures yet) and got them installed.

The small gray wires popping out the sides of the column near the top are for the LEDs that will run down each side. I will splice on my connector, slide the excess wire back inside, and the strips will be adhered to the back edges of the column creating a floating effect (I hope rolleyes.gif).

And finally shots of one 8' piece installed. This is the only one that I was able to complete due to the whole column wrapping thing.

I started out with a 1 1/4" overhang which would have worked fine in most cases. I will be putting an LED strip behind the base shoe for illumination. Just as I started to fasten it down I thought of something. I will have carpet on the face of the riser (due to covering the holes for the riser trap). With a 1 1/4" overhang that left just enough room to fit a strip in. Perfect fit actually. But if I have carpet now that will be tucked up under the lip, there goes my gap for the LEDs. So I made the call to push it out to a 1 1/2" overhang. This should give me just enought room to fit the carpet (if they don't put pad there) and the LED strip behind the lip. So a little PL Premium and some 2" screws every 2' and I have a nosing. More pictures to come once I finish it all.

And here is where the room stood as of Sunday night.

Things will be changing soon. Carpet is due to be installed on Friday! biggrin.gif
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Speaker Systems , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Playstation 3 160gb System , Xbox 360 250gb Console With Kinect
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page