The Weekend Update:
Well, it was a relatively productive weekend even though I only got to work a couple of hours on Saturday because of plans. Here we go...
Here are some horn gaskets for the 4Pi's that I cut out of shower pan liner. This actually was done last week but I never got around to posting it.
On Saturday I finished off the blocking in the entryway. The only area left to finish is the back right corner. Should be able to knock that out in about an hour.
Still have to figure out my method for finishing the arch but I think I have an idea.
Then it was on to a little electrical in the equipment room. Installed three Insteon switches and one Insteon dimmer. These control the LED lights for the IB, the LED soffit lights, the uplights for the front speakers, and the LED step lights.
I still have one more Insteon Inlinc to install. It will control the column LEDs.
Sunday began with a trip to the store and a little wood cutting in between rain showers. Bought 3 pieces of 3/4" sanded plywood and proceeded to cut them down into 1 1/2" strips. The result...
This will almost be enough to construct all the frames. Probably going to need another 10 strips or so.
I then moved inside and ran some wiring for the column LED lights. If I was permitting this might be a no-no but I'm not sooo.... put shallow boxes up high behind the top column piece to power the LEDs down each side of the column. Each column gets a box.
Each box has a line in, a line out to the next column, and two lines out (one for each side of the column, not shown). There will be three columns on each power supply (approx. 25 ft. of LEDs per power supply).
After that I went to work on the columns. I started by cutting all the notches and holes I would need for running wires through them. This took longer than I thought it would and was just flat boring. You can see the notches in upcoming pics.
Then it was time to try out wrapping. The columns will be wrapped on the front radius with a thicker black fabric (to help hide the screw heads, smooth out the radius, and give it some cushion). Here is the process of wrapping a small upper section.
1) Cut a piece of black batting for the first layer.
2) Flip it over and line it up so that it is even on each side. Notice the notches.
3) Wrap one end, staple, and repeat with other side making sure the fabric is pulled tight.
4) Pull the top side and bottom sides up and staple. I have learned a slightly better way to do this in the future so there won't be cutouts like this one shows. This one is fine though as the top will be up against the soffit and the bottom will be covered by the middle speaker section.
5) Layer one done.
6) Now for a little color. Got the fabric station set up. Same as before... cut a piece to fit.
7) After following the same process as layer one, here is the finished upper column section.
I'm not real crazy about my corners but I think I have figured out a new way to wrap them so that they will look cleaner. Here is a shot of the corner.
Luckily this piece won't be front and center so I can hide my first effort.
I only had enough time left in the day to do the first layer on one of the larger sections. Here it is next to the finished small section.
And last but not least, the small section shown in it's future final location.
So overall not a bad weekends worth of work. This week I want to work on getting the crossovers mounted to boards. I would like to get some wood putty on the speakers and get them ready for sealer and paint. I also need to find a supplier for 5/4 Pine to make my goal post out of. My local Home Depot does not carry it. And next weekend I will construct a frame or two and see if I can't start changing the look of this room.