I was able to accomplish everything I wanted to get done last night (although it made for a late night). Started the night with the goal of completing one speaker and the lighting on the riser. I began the evening with the speaker. With everything painted I was now ready to install the good stuff. The first thing to go in was the horn/cd. I had cut a gasket for each horn out of shower pan liner and that was up first.
What I didn't show was my attachment method. I marked my holes for the horn and drilled them out large enough to fit a 10-24 Tee nut in on the back side and will be using 10-24 x 1 1/4 machine screws with them. All hardware heads will need to get a touch of black paint since they are silver currently. I did not do this step last night.
Then it was in with the horn.
It sits just below the surface. I could bring it up a little with another gasket or two but I think it looks pretty good as is. And these will be hiding behind an AT screen so looks aren't paramount.
Next up were the speaker wire connectors. I found some nice matte silver ones from Parts Express and they went in without issue.
Time for the crossovers. This was the step that most worried me. Did I make all my wires the right length to reach each component. Do I remember where each wire needs to go. Turns out I did. So in to the bottom they go.
The boards are held in place with some clear silicone under each one. It was at this point that I had to hook it up to see if I actually got sound out of it or if it was going to be really heavy paper weight. So I hauled in my old receiver and DVD player and hook it up. Sound! It wasn't very good obviously since the woofer was sitting beside the box and there was no insulation in there yet either. Time to continue on.
Next up was the insulation. Some R13 on the back, port side, bottom, and across the mid support (copying BIG on this part).
(Don't mind the extra woofer mounting holes in the above picture. I started drilling holes befoe I realized that the crossbrace was going to foul up one of my holes. Rotate the woofer and drill the new holes)
And finally it was time for the woofer to go in.
After going through the install once I will probably change around the order of which the parts go in to help with ease of installation.
First impressions are good but I know I need to break it in a little more to get an accurate feel. It was at this point that I started wondering... am I hearing what I should be hearing? I know my crossovers worked to allow me to get sound out but are they giving me the sound that the designer intended for me to hear? How would I know? I may have to jump on the Pi speaker forum and shoot Wayne some of my crossover pics and see if he can't look them over for me. I'm sure I could try measuring the response and see if it matches up with others that have posted. Unfortunately I don't have any measuring equipment yet. It's on the list of things to get but I just haven't.
And a lonely shot of it almost in it's new home. These will be sitting on short stands to get them to the right height.
So with the speaker complete it was now time to finish the riser step lighting. I already had the step portion done so I just had to finish the long run across the top. I don't have any under the lip shots but I could try to get some if someone would like to see it. My camera isn't the best so most of the shots look fake. Trust me when I say that it looks great in person.
And for the close-ups! Lights on...
And lights off...
Overall I'm very happy with the way the lights turned out. I'm really excited to get the rest of them in. So it was a good nights worth of work. Next on the schedule are the other two crossovers so that I can finish the front speakers and then screen and projector this weekend.