The Grove Theater and Basement Build - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 1271 Old 12-17-2012, 11:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
looking great Vanice... wish i had your talent... wow ive done alot of investigating into a home theater build for my home can not afford what you have.. but a simple room with 1/4 or the treats of yours
might be able to pull it off.. you make alot of people jealous im sure Vanice.. sure job..

this what i manage to do this evening dont laugh to hard took me almost 3 hrs..

my 1st bass trap 6 inch of roxul safe and sound fabric both side stapled in the back... im very slow.. cut the wood at 45.. long time to line up..

thanks for the motivation Vanice will do lots more...

0004450.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1271 Old 12-18-2012, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Thanks Delta. Everyone has their own budget and skill level. Just have to know what yours is and stick to it.

Have you considered starting your own build thread? It's a good way to get advice and let people see what you are working on. It doesn't matter to what degree you are building your room. I'm sure there are plenty of people on this forum who would stop by and check out your work. It also creates kind of a scrap book for your project. I have enjoyed going back in mine sometimes to see how far I've come. Something to think about.
post #813 of 1271 Old 12-18-2012, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Received the last of my LED light strips last night. I really want to get some of these up to see what they will look like in the room. Might get to fool around with some tonight after I put the last of the paint on the speaker cabinets.
post #814 of 1271 Old 12-18-2012, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Last coat of paint on the speakers. Screen spread out on the floor. I see a good photo update in our future. smile.gif

Are these the LED strips that are going behind your columns? Can't wait to see them. The rope light that I'm putting behind my screen has been on back order for 2 months.
post #815 of 1271 Old 12-18-2012, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Maybe some teaser pics before the big reveal this weekend. Of course that's assuming I can find enough time to work down there.

Yes, these will be going behind the columns. They will also be going under the riser nosing (full length), in the soffit, and down each side of the IB to highlight it behind the future fabric panel (I hope it works but need to test how the light shows through the FR701). I also need to find some uplights for behind the screen wall that will highlight the 4Pi's. May need to check out a Guitar Center (or equivalent) to see what they have to offer in a cheap spot light (preferably in a blue color).
post #816 of 1271 Old 12-18-2012, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

I didn't have room for uplights behind my screen due to the shallow false wall, so that is where I intend to put the rope light. I'm going to run it around the inside of the opening on the screen wall, just behind the screen frame. I'm hoping it's bright enough to light up the speakers. I plan on having it on while guests are coming in and taking their seats and also when I'm in there just listening to music. I went with blue which should look cool when the black lights are on in the ceiling.
post #817 of 1271 Old 12-18-2012, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sounds like a good idea. I would think most rope lights are going to give you enough light to see what's going on behind that large screen. Too bad you have been waiting on them for so long. But if that is the only thing that keeps you from being 100% complete then that's not too bad.
post #818 of 1271 Old 12-18-2012, 03:23 PM

Liked: 36
sounds like a good idea Vanice..

maybe santa will drop me off a new camera.. taking pics with the laptop is a pain lol..

in the new yr will start up..

keep up the great work eh... im sure you will have it ready for the super bowl..

i did read recently, from the creator of avs, that the work on a home theater is never done....

merry christmas
post #819 of 1271 Old 12-18-2012, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Looking good. I too am looking forward to seeing some pics.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #820 of 1271 Old 12-19-2012, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, the speaker cabinets received their last bit of black paint last night. I am going to try and get the internals in one tonight to see if everything is working properly. Fingers crossed everything will work so that I can start finishing the other two crossovers.

I also started installing the LEDs on the riser. I was able to complete the lower step and should be able to finish it tonight. I hope I dont jinx myself by saying this but so far everything is fitting up really well. The gap ended up being perfect. The strip easily fits in and the carpet actually helps hold it in place along with the adhesive backing. The light it provides looks really uniform and doesn't appear to be too much. One thing I did notice crawling around on the floor was that my painting of the underside of the lip left something to be desired. I will have some touch-up to do.

Hopefully pics of lights and a speaker tomorrow morning! biggrin.gif
post #821 of 1271 Old 12-19-2012, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I know how you feel about the underside of the lip touch up. Even though no one would probably ever notice, you know it's there. I even painted the entire walls before I installed the cabinets in our kitchen. Talk about something that no one will ever see...tongue.gif

Can't wait to see how the speakers turn out!
post #822 of 1271 Old 12-19-2012, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Now that is doing a thorough job! I'm sure at some point I will have someone down there trying to see how the lights are installed and I would rather them not see me cutting corners. Yes, 99.9% of the time it would be just fine but it's that 0.1%. Knowing that someone will eventually see that is enough for me to go back and correct it. Plus, if I had a contractor do that I would most definitely have them fix it. I shouldn't feel any different because I am doing the work.

You and me both! The cabinets look pretty good for just flat black paint. The part I'm most worried about are the crossovers. I think I have everything laid out correctly. Not sure what my next step would be if they don't work. eek.gif
post #823 of 1271 Old 12-19-2012, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
You got mad skills! Awesome work Vanice! Cant wait to hear your impression on how the IB setup sounds!
post #824 of 1271 Old 12-19-2012, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Vik! You and me both! I tested it when the room was a hollow shell and with sub par listening material and it was pretty boomy. I'm hoping that with the room treated, some better material to listen to, and a little eq that it will accomplish everything I wanted it to from the beginning. I probably won't push it like you will yours but it will be nice to have a little headroom should the need arise. biggrin.gif
post #825 of 1271 Old 12-20-2012, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Finally.... Pictures!!

I was able to accomplish everything I wanted to get done last night (although it made for a late night). Started the night with the goal of completing one speaker and the lighting on the riser. I began the evening with the speaker. With everything painted I was now ready to install the good stuff. The first thing to go in was the horn/cd. I had cut a gasket for each horn out of shower pan liner and that was up first.

What I didn't show was my attachment method. I marked my holes for the horn and drilled them out large enough to fit a 10-24 Tee nut in on the back side and will be using 10-24 x 1 1/4 machine screws with them. All hardware heads will need to get a touch of black paint since they are silver currently. I did not do this step last night.

Then it was in with the horn.

It sits just below the surface. I could bring it up a little with another gasket or two but I think it looks pretty good as is. And these will be hiding behind an AT screen so looks aren't paramount.

Next up were the speaker wire connectors. I found some nice matte silver ones from Parts Express and they went in without issue.

Time for the crossovers. This was the step that most worried me. Did I make all my wires the right length to reach each component. Do I remember where each wire needs to go. Turns out I did. So in to the bottom they go.

The boards are held in place with some clear silicone under each one. It was at this point that I had to hook it up to see if I actually got sound out of it or if it was going to be really heavy paper weight. So I hauled in my old receiver and DVD player and hook it up. Sound! It wasn't very good obviously since the woofer was sitting beside the box and there was no insulation in there yet either. Time to continue on.

Next up was the insulation. Some R13 on the back, port side, bottom, and across the mid support (copying BIG on this part).

(Don't mind the extra woofer mounting holes in the above picture. I started drilling holes befoe I realized that the crossbrace was going to foul up one of my holes. Rotate the woofer and drill the new holes)

And finally it was time for the woofer to go in.

After going through the install once I will probably change around the order of which the parts go in to help with ease of installation.

First impressions are good but I know I need to break it in a little more to get an accurate feel. It was at this point that I started wondering... am I hearing what I should be hearing? I know my crossovers worked to allow me to get sound out but are they giving me the sound that the designer intended for me to hear? How would I know? I may have to jump on the Pi speaker forum and shoot Wayne some of my crossover pics and see if he can't look them over for me. I'm sure I could try measuring the response and see if it matches up with others that have posted. Unfortunately I don't have any measuring equipment yet. It's on the list of things to get but I just haven't.

And a lonely shot of it almost in it's new home. These will be sitting on short stands to get them to the right height.

So with the speaker complete it was now time to finish the riser step lighting. I already had the step portion done so I just had to finish the long run across the top. I don't have any under the lip shots but I could try to get some if someone would like to see it. My camera isn't the best so most of the shots look fake. Trust me when I say that it looks great in person.

And for the close-ups! Lights on...

And lights off...

Overall I'm very happy with the way the lights turned out. I'm really excited to get the rest of them in. So it was a good nights worth of work. Next on the schedule are the other two crossovers so that I can finish the front speakers and then screen and projector this weekend. biggrin.gif
post #826 of 1271 Old 12-20-2012, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 97
Congrats on completing a DIY speaker! BIG told me he was going to one day persuade me to do this, but I am not that patient. wink.gif

I love the riser lighting. In hindsight, after seeing both your build and Cinemar's, I think I would have put trim along the edges and carpet up to that, and put lighting underneath as well. Looks nice! Great job Vanice!
post #827 of 1271 Old 12-20-2012, 06:58 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Looking great, Your 4Pis turned out great.

Don't know if you picked up on this from my build but you can just hold a can of black spray paint in the port and put a light coat on the insulation (Per Wayne)

I ended up measuring my speaker response and comparing it to Waynes published data. That was in my speaker build thread on Wayne's site.
post #828 of 1271 Old 12-20-2012, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post

Congrats on completing a DIY speaker! BIG told me he was going to one day persuade me to do this, but I am not that patient. wink.gif
I love the riser lighting. In hindsight, after seeing both your build and Cinemar's, I think I would have put trim along the edges and carpet up to that, and put lighting underneath as well. Looks nice! Great job Vanice!

Thanks Damelon! The speaker build has been informative and really hasn't been too difficult. There are quite a few steps to get from sheets of MDF to completed speakers but dare I say that if someone where only working on the speakers that it could be done pretty quickly.

I guess it's a good thing my build has run long because my original plan was to put in a step light similar to yours. Then Cinemar put in the nosing and LEDs and I was sold. Luckily I was still at a point where I could change my plan without any extra work or expense. I think his still looks a little better because he has the wood face on the steps where mine is carpeted (because of the holes I cut for the riser trap) but I am completely satisfied with how mine turned out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Looking great, Your 4Pis turned out great.
Don't know if you picked up on this from my build but you can just hold a can of black spray paint in the port and put a light coat on the insulation (Per Wayne)

I ended up measuring my speaker response and comparing it to Waynes published data. That was in my speaker build thread on Wayne's site.

Thanks BIG! I did see the note on painting the insulation enough to help hide it. I wasn't sure how easy it would be to spray it without getting paint all over the port. Oh well, function over aesthetics. I have some flat spray paint so I will try and hit it with a light coating once I get the other speakers ready. How did you go about getting your measurements? This is something that I have never done. What equipment would I need?
post #829 of 1271 Old 12-20-2012, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanice View Post

I guess it's a good thing my build has run long because my original plan was to put in a step light similar to yours. Then Cinemar put in the nosing and LEDs and I was sold. Luckily I was still at a point where I could change my plan without any extra work or expense. I think his still looks a little better because he has the wood face on the steps where mine is carpeted (because of the holes I cut for the riser trap) but I am completely satisfied with how mine turned out.

It's not the look that is that important to me, because most of the time the lights are off and no one would ever notice. However the step lights themselves are too dim in my theater. The under-lip lighting is much more defined and really helps to brighten up the area. I may still change out the step lights at some point. I don't know how difficult it would be to change the edging. My carpet is wrapped, so it could be cut to accommodate for some nosing, and I do have outlets on the front of the riser so I could put in LED under the nosing I think. But cutting the carpet would not be easy. I'm not sure how I would do that after-the-fact without ruining something.

In any case, I like your end result! You made a good call there.
post #830 of 1271 Old 12-20-2012, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That would be a tough one. Not sure how easily it could be cut to fit. I didn't watch the guys install mine so I don't know exactly how they did it. I would think that a professional could make it look good though. It definitely does a good job of highlighting the step area. I'm also hoping that it casts a cool glow up the back of the front row furniture if we can ever afford to get some. rolleyes.gif
post #831 of 1271 Old 12-20-2012, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That would be a tough one. Not sure how easily it could be cut to fit. I didn't watch the guys install mine so I don't know exactly how they did it. I would think that a professional could make it look good though. It definitely does a good job of highlighting the step area. I'm also hoping that it casts a cool glow up the back of the front row furniture if we can ever afford to get some. rolleyes.gif

Yeah, it would have been a ton easier if I went with the Masland (spelling?) brand carpet that BIG used. Just thinner. My carpet is really thick and patterned. It doesn't like to be cut! I posted this install issue in my thread, I want to replace my rope light to LED lighting anyway. I need to find a reason to do some additional work on the theater!

By the way, I really like how your carpet looks. I saw that carpet sample and initially dismissed it. Now that I see it in the room, I really like it. Good choice! Carpets look so much different in a room than on a sample.
post #832 of 1271 Old 12-20-2012, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Wow! Everything is looking great vanice!

Nice work on the LEDs. I remember when I first got mine installed and turned them on for the first time. It was very exciting. I can't wait to see how the columns look with the lights.

Keep up the good work!

The Austin Home Theater:
A DIY high school project (now complete and being enjoyed everyday)

post #833 of 1271 Old 12-20-2012, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It's never 100% complete right?? wink.gif I may try and get my soffit lights done this weekend too but I am putting the screen and projector at the front of the priority list.

I was sweating the carpet choice. It is so hard to take a small sample and imagine it on a large scale. We nearly had the same issue when we were picking out colors and styles for the exterior of our house. Luckily for the house we found a look we both really liked and just copied it. As far as the carpet, it definitely helped to get a sample in the room so that I could see it in the actual theater lighting. That made a big difference.
post #834 of 1271 Old 12-20-2012, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Vanice,

That first speaker turned out nice.
Curious what is the mid-woofer in that bad-boy? I ask because I have just started some DIY SEOS kits (including some 12" delta-light drivers)

Your LED "step-lighting looks great & must be awesome in person.
If the column back-lighting turns out even 1/2 this nice it's going to be VERY impressive. You Hoosiers sure are raising the bar smile.gif

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #835 of 1271 Old 12-20-2012, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaustin View Post

Wow! Everything is looking great vanice!
Nice work on the LEDs. I remember when I first got mine installed and turned them on for the first time. It was very exciting. I can't wait to see how the columns look with the lights.
Keep up the good work!

Thanks aaustin! They definitely add a wow factor to the room. And being the first "component" installed in the room I am very excited about the rest going forward. I too am interested to see what the columns will look like now that I have seen the step lights in person. Should be a fun toy to play with. cool.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

Vanice,
That first speaker turned out nice.
Curious what is the mid-woofer in that bad-boy? I ask because I have just started some DIY SEOS kits (including some 12" delta-light drivers)
Your LED "step-lighting looks great & must be awesome in person.
If the column back-lighting turns out even 1/2 this nice it's going to be VERY impressive. You Hoosiers sure are raising the bar smile.gif

Thanks cuzed! The woofer is a 15" Eminence Omega Pro15-A. Much more budget friendly than the JBL 2226H woofers that I could have used. Leaves me an upgrade path should the woofers come down in price.

They are sharp in person and a lot of fun to play with color changes. After having good luck with the splicing and such to make these step lights work I am far more confident now with my ability to finish the columns and make the lights work the way I hope they will. Just have to find time to finish wrapping columns so I can get them in. rolleyes.gif

Vik did a great job with his use of LED lighting. I hope that I can compete in the same league with his lighting because he blows me away on the audio side. Now if we can both just get them done so we can relax for awhile. smile.gif
post #836 of 1271 Old 12-20-2012, 12:56 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Quote:

How did you go about getting your measurements? This is something that I have never done. What equipment would I need?

I have the Omnimic system from Parts Express but there are other cheaper alternatives that take a little research to fiddle with. There is forum section where they talk about REW software and measruement. You can use the equipment to test speakers and your room.
post #837 of 1271 Old 12-20-2012, 01:35 PM

Liked: 12
If you know anyone, or anyone on here nearby that has a RTA, you could run your pink noise and disconnect either piece of your speaker and check your crossover point. Often times an uncalibrated system will show a spike or dip at the crossover point as well providing you a good indication of that point.
post #838 of 1271 Old 12-20-2012, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

I have the Omnimic system from Parts Express but there are other cheaper alternatives that take a little research to fiddle with. There is forum section where they talk about REW software and measruement. You can use the equipment to test speakers and your room.

I will have to check that out. I think Mario had a list of items that he bought in his thread. I have looked at the REW thread before but I guess I need to bone up a little more.
post #839 of 1271 Old 12-20-2012, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip-B View Post

If you know anyone, or anyone on here nearby that has a RTA, you could run your pink noise and disconnect either piece of your speaker and check your crossover point. Often times an uncalibrated system will show a spike or dip at the crossover point as well providing you a good indication of that point.

This is very noob but what is RTA?
post #840 of 1271 Old 12-20-2012, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is very noob but what is RTA?

I was afraid to ask after the Acronym Finder only came up with Royal Thai Army, Restricted to Adults, and Royal Tongan Airlines. I'm guessing it's something else.wink.gif
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Speaker Systems , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Playstation 3 160gb System , Xbox 360 250gb Console With Kinect
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page