The Grove Theater and Basement Build - Page 43 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1261 of 1288 Old 03-06-2014, 04:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
We need to view each other's theaters live since we live so close to each other.

"Engineers aren't boring people, we just get excited over boring things".
--Anon.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 1288 Old 03-06-2014, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyJonesBSME View Post

We need to view each other's theaters live since we live so close to each other.

I agree. Although mine will be pretty underwhelming since I am not complete and nothing has been dialed in on the audio or video side. Just send me a PM and we can work out the details.
post #1263 of 1288 Old 03-10-2014, 01:45 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanice View Post

I have not solved my hum problem and kinda put it on the back burner for the time being as other things needed my attention. I did find that the lights changed the hum volume depending on how much they were dimmed. The lights are not on the same circuit but I do have a light controller on that circuit. I still need to disconnect everything and start from scratch just to make sure. I will keep your idea in mind when I get some free time to mess with it. I haven't watched a movie in weeks so it hasn't been a high priority.

Vanice,

Spent the past couple days reading your build, everything is coming along great! Your attention to detail is impressive.

As far as the hum issue goes, have you checked the grounds on the outlets in your equipment room to make sure they are all wired correctly? The same goes at the breaker box, if you have a loose ground some where it might be the source of your problems. You could also try troubleshooting with another circuit in the house by running an extension cord to a room on a different circuit to make sure the hum isn't from a mistake in your wiring.

Not that I'm accusing you of making mistakes of course wink.gif
post #1264 of 1288 Old 03-10-2014, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Astronaut. When I finally get around to debunking the mystery I will definitely add this to my checklist. Thanks for taking the time to read through my thread.
post #1265 of 1288 Old 03-11-2014, 07:41 AM

Quote:

Thanks Astronaut. When I finally get around to debunking the mystery I will definitely add this to my checklist. Thanks for taking the time to read through my thread.

You're Welcome! It's been a fascinating and informative read! I think you were on the right path though with the light controller though. If the hum changes with the level of the lights, it's a pretty good sign you've found your culprit.
post #1266 of 1288 Old 03-12-2014, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It seems strange that the lights would cause hum in the equipment circuits since they aren't tied together but I definitely remember the hum volume changing when I dimmed the lights. I will most likely start there and see if I can't figure it out. If I run into a wall going down that path I still need to clean up my rack wiring so I could unplug everything and start from scratch to see if one of the components is causing a problem. If none of those work then I'll be back on here asking for suggestions.
post #1267 of 1288 Old 03-12-2014, 07:47 AM

Quote:

It seems strange that the lights would cause hum in the equipment circuits since they aren't tied together but I definitely remember the hum volume changing when I dimmed the lights. I will most likely start there and see if I can't figure it out. If I run into a wall going down that path I still need to clean up my rack wiring so I could unplug everything and start from scratch to see if one of the components is causing a problem. If none of those work then I'll be back on here asking for suggestions.

Just to be on the safe side, you could go with a power distribution bar for your rack that includes an isolated ground. That would ensure that all your equipment in the rack was using the same ground. You might check with the manufacturer for your lighting controls to see if it's a common problem and what their recommended fix would be.
post #1268 of 1288 Old 03-12-2014, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I may need to do that just to help organize power cables but with the added benefit that everything is on the same ground. Thanks for the idea. Added to the list of things I still need to buy. rolleyes.gif

I have one thing to try on the lighting front before I get too far and that's moving the controller off the circuit with all the equipment. Only reason it's plugged in there is because it has an Ethernet connection and I only have one other location right now that I can plug it into and I just haven't taken the time to test it.
post #1269 of 1288 Old 06-01-2014, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Hey Vanice ever get any of the acoustic panels from bpape installed? Would love an update pic smile.gif

My Equipment:

Fusion 12 Tempest (LCR)
DIY Sealed 18" Dayton HO Refrence Subs (2)
Electricity
post #1270 of 1288 Old 06-02-2014, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Unfortunately Warren I don't have any updates on the theater. The only panels I have up are the ones I posted back on 06/17 of LAST YEAR! Holy crap! I had no idea it's been that long since I've posted any actual construction progress. I'm working on plans to try and take a day off work coming up soon so that I can get back to working on panels. Seems that will be the only way I can find any time to work as my weekends are taken up spending time with the family and outdoor projects. Thanks for giving me a little jump start reminder Warren.
post #1271 of 1288 Old 06-02-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:

Unfortunately Warren I don't have any updates on the theater. The only panels I have up are the ones I posted back on 06/17 of LAST YEAR! Holy crap! I had no idea it's been that long since I've posted any actual construction progress. I'm working on plans to try and take a day off work coming up soon so that I can get back to working on panels. Seems that will be the only way I can find any time to work as my weekends are taken up spending time with the family and outdoor projects. Thanks for giving me a little jump start reminder Warren.

smile.gif

My Equipment:

Fusion 12 Tempest (LCR)
DIY Sealed 18" Dayton HO Refrence Subs (2)
Electricity
post #1272 of 1288 Old 07-21-2014, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm back from the deep dark recesses of page 10.

This past weekend I didn't have anything pulling me one way or the other so I decided to spend some time making a few panels. I was able to construct 10 wood frames but couldn't get around to wrapping them yet. I also got some MDF strips cut that will go in between the horizontal panels. Here is a refresher on my panel layout:

Left Side Wall

Right Side Wall

Rear Wall

The panels I constructed are mainly the green vertical ones beside each column. I also constructed the two large panels that will finish off the walls on the stage (one covers the IB subs). Can't wait to get these covered and filled because I think that will help keep me motivated to continue building. Between family and outdoor projects I have been pretty lazy when it comes to finishing the theater.
post #1273 of 1288 Old 07-21-2014, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 188
We're looking forward to it!
post #1274 of 1288 Old 07-28-2014, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So I finally got around to covering the 10 panels I made and actually got a few of them installed.

Front Stage Right

Front Stage Left (bye bye view of IB subs )

And the Mid Left Wall Section

This section didn't change much but I did get one of the black MDF pieces mounted. I'm withholding judgement on them until I get the whole section done. Here is a close view or two:

The texture on the MDF isn't that bad in real life. I ended up using 1/2" MDF so it sits slightly below the surface of the panels which are made from 3/4" ply. I tried to match the chamfers up though.

The front stage view with the side panels on now.

And now a shot of the back of the room showing the other panels I made but have yet to completely install. They are just leaning against the wall so I can get an idea of how they look.

Hopefully I will find more time to build panels. It wasn't as bad as I thought it might be so I have hope that I can knock this out in the next couple of months.
post #1275 of 1288 Old 07-28-2014, 06:57 AM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 244
I think it will really look sharp when everything is done.

I hate how that pesky last 10% always takes 90% of the time!
post #1276 of 1288 Old 07-28-2014, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the vote of confidence TMcG.

Especially when the theater is functional, oops.
post #1277 of 1288 Old 07-28-2014, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Looking good. Hope all that lighting costs much less than here, or I'll wince for you.

Under construction: the Larch theater
post #1278 of 1288 Old 07-28-2014, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 188
It is looking good. Keep it up! I had forgotten how much I liked the look of your columns with the lighting. Nobody was bumping this thread with pics - so it slipped my mind. :P
post #1279 of 1288 Old 07-29-2014, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the compliments everyone.

Yes, my lack of progress has definitely cut into the picture updates. I'm hoping my long drought of non-work is over and I will have some semi-regular updates going forward. I know seeing these panels made and installed has really helped my motivation. Now if I can continue to find large enough windows in my schedule to get some meaningful work done.
post #1280 of 1288 Old 07-29-2014, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Beautiful theater vanice. I'll be starting mine soon and I'm definitely drawing some inspiration from yours. I'm sorry if I missed it, but have you fired up the sound system at all? I'm curious on how the soundproofing has seemed to work for you.
post #1281 of 1288 Old 07-29-2014, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Rock, borrow away.

I have been using the space for over a year now (even though I am not complete yet) and I am mostly satisfied with the soundproofing I did but there are plenty of asterisks:

Asterisk 1: Neither of my doors completely seal right now because I don't have hardware for either of them. This could be remedied pretty easily but I don't want to put hardware on them until the doors are painted and that is a little more difficult to do.

Asterisk 2: I have two large holes in my soundproof shell that are for dead vents. Neither of these dead vents are complete so sound is free to escape.

Asterisk 3: My IB sub enclosure. This is the big one. Since I did a line array my subs are a fixed part of the wall. I did use IB-3 clips to decouple the walls from the floor joists above but they are not enough (or there is just too much vibration). This transmits bass and vibration to the floor above (my living room/kitchen area). Once the theater is complete I may look to modify this in an attempt to reduce the vibration transmitted.

Even with these items I still think the soundproofing is showing it's worth. I'm glad I did it and would do it again.
post #1282 of 1288 Old 07-29-2014, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Vanice, how do you like the Emotiva XPA-5? I'm getting ready to start construction on my theater and am getting the equipment together for a 7.2.2 setup. Debating between the Marantz MM8077 or 2 Emotiva XPA-5 amps. I'm leaning towards the Emotiva. How would you rate it?
post #1283 of 1288 Old 07-29-2014, 05:53 PM

Oh my god updates. I'm stunned
post #1284 of 1288 Old 07-29-2014, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanice View Post
Asterisk 3: My IB sub enclosure. This is the big one. Since I did a line array my subs are a fixed part of the wall. I did use IB-3 clips to decouple the walls from the floor joists above but they are not enough (or there is just too much vibration). This transmits bass and vibration to the floor above (my living room/kitchen area). Once the theater is complete I may look to modify this in an attempt to reduce the vibration transmitted.
Any chance at all to rebuild it to a manifold solution? That would bring vibrations down quite significantly.

post #1285 of 1288 Old Yesterday, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpjmeyer View Post
Vanice, how do you like the Emotiva XPA-5? I'm getting ready to start construction on my theater and am getting the equipment together for a 7.2.2 setup. Debating between the Marantz MM8077 or 2 Emotiva XPA-5 amps. I'm leaning towards the Emotiva. How would you rate it?
So far I really like it. It runs pretty quietly and provides more power than I will probably ever use. I did get a hum in my speakers when I added the amp but I haven't taken the time to track down the root cause. Overall I am very pleased with the build quality and the value. I want to add an XPA-2 or XPA-3 to the mix in the future so all of my channels are powered by Emotiva amps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenBerry View Post
Oh my god updates. I'm stunned
Just needed a kick in the pants and a reminder that I hadn't posted anything of substance in months. I hope to keep it rolling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightlord View Post
Any chance at all to rebuild it to a manifold solution? That would bring vibrations down quite significantly.
I have been thinking about that and I too think it would greatly help my situation. My issue is that the back chamber is not very deep and the opening I have into the room can't be more than about 18" wide. See below...

And I don't think I want to have a driver or two firing right into one of the walls of the chamber. And then there is how to construct the manifold without totally destroying the wall separating the two spaces. It would definitely be a huge undertaking which is why it would be one of the last things I do to the room. That is of course if I can figure out a manifold design that would work.
post #1286 of 1288 Old Yesterday, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Just a stab at it:

Given that you save half height putting to drivers together, the L shape can be done vertically, but I couldn't draw that. In such a case you could build the whole manifold with drivers in room and then push it in.

But yes, removing a part of wall would be the optimum - but I do understand the resistance.

Last edited by Nightlord; Yesterday at 10:43 PM.
post #1287 of 1288 Old Today, 05:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I was wondering about making it turn 90 degrees but I wasn't sure how that would affect the sound if at all. I was originally thinking about a 30 degree angle or something so I could keep the exit port straight but pull the speakers away from the side wall. Found this sketch that I had done. It would be pretty difficult to construct. Much more difficult than a 90 degree turn would be.

And here is how I would change the current array wall to accommodate the new manifold setup.

So I have definitely thought about making the change but keep pushing it off to avoid the massive undertaking. I'm sure it will be added to my to-do list but maybe not until home theater update 1.1.
post #1288 of 1288 Old Today, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

The trickiest part from my horizon would be the speaker mounting if you haven't a wide enough wall opening so you can mount them before you pushin your manifold construct.

I don't think your close to wall concern is such a big issue as you do, though, if the drawings are correctly to scale. Your 30-degree one looks great.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
4pi speakers , emotiva erd speakers , Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier , ib sub , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Playstation 3 160gb System , Speaker Systems , Xbox 360 250gb Console With Kinect , xbox one
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page