The Grove Theater and Basement Build - Page 43 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1261 of 1271 Old 03-06-2014, 04:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
We need to view each other's theaters live since we live so close to each other.

"Engineers aren't boring people, we just get excited over boring things".
--Anon.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 1271 Old 03-06-2014, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyJonesBSME View Post

We need to view each other's theaters live since we live so close to each other.

I agree. Although mine will be pretty underwhelming since I am not complete and nothing has been dialed in on the audio or video side. Just send me a PM and we can work out the details.
post #1263 of 1271 Old 03-10-2014, 01:45 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanice View Post

I have not solved my hum problem and kinda put it on the back burner for the time being as other things needed my attention. I did find that the lights changed the hum volume depending on how much they were dimmed. The lights are not on the same circuit but I do have a light controller on that circuit. I still need to disconnect everything and start from scratch just to make sure. I will keep your idea in mind when I get some free time to mess with it. I haven't watched a movie in weeks so it hasn't been a high priority.

Vanice,

Spent the past couple days reading your build, everything is coming along great! Your attention to detail is impressive.

As far as the hum issue goes, have you checked the grounds on the outlets in your equipment room to make sure they are all wired correctly? The same goes at the breaker box, if you have a loose ground some where it might be the source of your problems. You could also try troubleshooting with another circuit in the house by running an extension cord to a room on a different circuit to make sure the hum isn't from a mistake in your wiring.

Not that I'm accusing you of making mistakes of course wink.gif
post #1264 of 1271 Old 03-10-2014, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Astronaut. When I finally get around to debunking the mystery I will definitely add this to my checklist. Thanks for taking the time to read through my thread.
post #1265 of 1271 Old 03-11-2014, 07:41 AM

Quote:

Thanks Astronaut. When I finally get around to debunking the mystery I will definitely add this to my checklist. Thanks for taking the time to read through my thread.

You're Welcome! It's been a fascinating and informative read! I think you were on the right path though with the light controller though. If the hum changes with the level of the lights, it's a pretty good sign you've found your culprit.
post #1266 of 1271 Old 03-12-2014, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It seems strange that the lights would cause hum in the equipment circuits since they aren't tied together but I definitely remember the hum volume changing when I dimmed the lights. I will most likely start there and see if I can't figure it out. If I run into a wall going down that path I still need to clean up my rack wiring so I could unplug everything and start from scratch to see if one of the components is causing a problem. If none of those work then I'll be back on here asking for suggestions.
post #1267 of 1271 Old 03-12-2014, 07:47 AM

Quote:

It seems strange that the lights would cause hum in the equipment circuits since they aren't tied together but I definitely remember the hum volume changing when I dimmed the lights. I will most likely start there and see if I can't figure it out. If I run into a wall going down that path I still need to clean up my rack wiring so I could unplug everything and start from scratch to see if one of the components is causing a problem. If none of those work then I'll be back on here asking for suggestions.

Just to be on the safe side, you could go with a power distribution bar for your rack that includes an isolated ground. That would ensure that all your equipment in the rack was using the same ground. You might check with the manufacturer for your lighting controls to see if it's a common problem and what their recommended fix would be.
post #1268 of 1271 Old 03-12-2014, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I may need to do that just to help organize power cables but with the added benefit that everything is on the same ground. Thanks for the idea. Added to the list of things I still need to buy. rolleyes.gif

I have one thing to try on the lighting front before I get too far and that's moving the controller off the circuit with all the equipment. Only reason it's plugged in there is because it has an Ethernet connection and I only have one other location right now that I can plug it into and I just haven't taken the time to test it.
post #1269 of 1271 Old 06-01-2014, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Hey Vanice ever get any of the acoustic panels from bpape installed? Would love an update pic smile.gif

My Equipment:

Fusion 12 Tempest (LCR)
DIY Sealed 18" Dayton HO Refrence Subs (2)
Electricity
post #1270 of 1271 Old 06-02-2014, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Unfortunately Warren I don't have any updates on the theater. The only panels I have up are the ones I posted back on 06/17 of LAST YEAR! Holy crap! I had no idea it's been that long since I've posted any actual construction progress. I'm working on plans to try and take a day off work coming up soon so that I can get back to working on panels. Seems that will be the only way I can find any time to work as my weekends are taken up spending time with the family and outdoor projects. Thanks for giving me a little jump start reminder Warren.
post #1271 of 1271 Old 06-02-2014, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Unfortunately Warren I don't have any updates on the theater. The only panels I have up are the ones I posted back on 06/17 of LAST YEAR! Holy crap! I had no idea it's been that long since I've posted any actual construction progress. I'm working on plans to try and take a day off work coming up soon so that I can get back to working on panels. Seems that will be the only way I can find any time to work as my weekends are taken up spending time with the family and outdoor projects. Thanks for giving me a little jump start reminder Warren.

smile.gif

My Equipment:

Fusion 12 Tempest (LCR)
DIY Sealed 18" Dayton HO Refrence Subs (2)
Electricity
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Speaker Systems , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Playstation 3 160gb System , Xbox 360 250gb Console With Kinect
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page