The Grove Theater and Basement Build - Page 44 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1291 of 1297 Old 09-04-2014, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 204
I bet that makes for an interesting audible change in the room's acoustics. Looks good!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1292 of 1297 Old 09-04-2014, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Thanks Fred. I must have a terrible ear because I tried listening for a difference between before and after and between left and right and I couldn't discern any difference. I have not watched a movie in there since adding the knauf to the rear wall but I did play music. Maybe once I get the whole wall complete and pop in a movie that I have watched before I will be able to hear an improvement.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1293 of 1297 Old 09-04-2014, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Tried handclaps?

Under construction:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1294 of 1297 Old 09-04-2014, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have not. Anything in particular that I should be listening for? Less sound bouncing around the room?

I need a crash course in ear training...

post #1295 of 1297 Old 09-04-2014, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 204
It might be hard to hear. Clapping is good enough to hear flutter echo, which is a nice and easy place to start. When flutter echo is bad, you'll hear a "zing" or "sproing" sort of tail to the sound. If you can't make that out in the theater, that's fine and good. Try clapping in a stairwell or parking deck. I'm of the opinion that flutter echo is just the beginning and the only thing you'll be able to identify by clapping, but I suspect others disagree (Nightlord). He may have a way for you to hear more spectral details of the decay, but I don't have a lot of faith in that.

Another easy way for you to begin to hear differences and the effect of the absorption is to stand right up next to it; one ear to it and the other out into the room. Get a simple recording playing - especially one without a lot of processing or ambiance added, or just get a conversation partner - and listen carefully, paying attention to the differences betwee what each ear hears. Stand next to untreated wall, and then move in front of the treatments.

Being able to hear subtle changes takes practice. I'm not good at it, but I'm working on it.
post #1296 of 1297 Old 09-04-2014, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Nope, not in clapping, you described that perfectly.

Other thing to try is standing right up to the wall and listen to/feel yourself talk.

We were just discussing finding if there's any differences. Any more detailed stuff I'd say you need to measure for.

Under construction:
post #1297 of 1297 Old 09-04-2014, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thank you both for the information. I will give those suggestions a try the next time I am down there while hopefully finishing off the back wall.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
4pi speakers , emotiva erd speakers , Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier , ib sub , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Playstation 3 160gb System , Speaker Systems , Xbox 360 250gb Console With Kinect , xbox one
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page