The Grove Theater and Basement Build - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 1289 Old 04-16-2012, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I guess in the other builds I have followed nobody actually showed this step of separating the insulation so that it is only 1 layer thick instead of 2. I follow what you are saying though. Guess I was just thinking that compressing the insulation 1 1/2" wasn't going to cause me issues. Not looking forward to cutting insulation in half length-wise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 1289 Old 04-16-2012, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I asked Ted when I was doing mine and that is what he recommended so I'm going by that.

You might already know this but to cut it you can lay a 2x4 on the batt side (not paper side) and step on it. That compresses it down and then it can be cut easily along the edge of the 2x4 with a sharp utility knife.

The Austin Home Theater:
A DIY high school project (now complete and being enjoyed everyday)

post #123 of 1289 Old 04-16-2012, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the tip. I did use the board trick to cut a few small pieces to fill in at the bottom of a wall cavity.

Question - Would there be any benefit to using some R-19 and cutting it in half to fill a staggered stud wall? This would better fill out the 5 1/2" depth but may create a similar coupling effect.
post #124 of 1289 Old 04-16-2012, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't see why the R19 wouldn't work but it all comes down to cost vs. benefits. Out of all the elements of soundproofing insulation does the least. Using R19 instead of R13 would likely produce no significant (if any) reduction in sound transmission. I doubt you'd even notice the difference.

The Austin Home Theater:

post #125 of 1289 Old 04-22-2012, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Weekend update. More pics!

Insulation up...

Modified insulation pieces to fit in staggered stud wall...

Drywall has been moved into the basement with the help of 7 friends. Only took us about 40 minutes.

OSB ceiling up...

OSB walls going up...

IB enclosure...

Still have more walls to do but I am enjoying the progress. Maybe except for this weekend. I am beat. Way too much heavy lifting.
post #126 of 1289 Old 04-22-2012, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Holy cow! Nice progress!

Keep this up and you'll be done in no time at all. I hope you're not itching too much after handling all of that insulation.

The Austin Home Theater:

post #127 of 1289 Old 04-23-2012, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks, I have to say that I was itching for about a day after working with the insulation. The worst was putting it in the ceiling because everything fell down on me with no way to get away from it. That was a rough day and a half of itching.

I don't think I was prepared for the time it would take to put the OSB on the ceiling. Getting the fine thread screws to pull the OSB tight to the channel without stripping out was an exercise in patience. I am not looking forward to doing the drywall on the ceiling and trying to hit the channels again. At least the OSB will give me a little extra security if I should happen to miss or not get a good connection. It felt like a vacation once I got to the walls. I was starting to make some good progress at that point. Then came the IB enclosure and another big slow down. Lot of cuts and odd pieces. This took me to the end of my work on Sunday and a well deserved rest.

This week I plan to do more wiring in the equipment room and other areas in the basement so that I am ready to rock and roll next weekend with more OSB and maybe a little drywall in non-theater related areas.
post #128 of 1289 Old 04-23-2012, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Nice progress - the OSB layer is definitely worth it. I'm really glad that I put up the OSB. It will save you all the time you took when it comes to the drywall. You doing 2 layers of drywall on top of the OSB or just one?
post #129 of 1289 Old 04-23-2012, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I too think it will be worth it later on when I am attaching columns and wall treatments and don't have to worry about finding a stud. And the OSB wasn't too much of a premium over another layer of 5/8" drywall, no brainer.

I am only going with one layer of 3/4" OSB and one layer of 5/8" drywall. I like the idea of doing three layers but I couldn't justify the added cost and the shrinking of my already somewhat narrow room. I figure the two layers is pretty typical so I am fine with that.

Seeing the room take shape is a definite motivator. I'm sure drywall will do the same (maybe more so for the rest of the basement). Hope to have some nice Green Glue pics coming up in the next week or two!
post #130 of 1289 Old 04-23-2012, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 63
vanice,
NICE update. I thing 3/4" of OSB and 5/8" of DW will be more than adequate!

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #131 of 1289 Old 04-23-2012, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks cuzed. I have been checking out your lighted poster frames and plan to add two to the entrance of my theater. I already have five spotlight frames (3 of which will not be lighted) ready and waiting for the main area of the basement to be completed. The spotlight frames are a really nice product.
post #132 of 1289 Old 04-24-2012, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
You're making great progress Vanice. Wish I had thought of going the OSB/drywall (1 layer each) route. I have one wall that way and it is nice to not be concerned with finding a stud. Are you going to be finishing the drywall yourself? If you can get that crew of seven back it could go fast! I know I saved some money doing mine and it turned out nicer than I thought it would but, I really got bogged down making progress.

Dale
post #133 of 1289 Old 04-24-2012, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I thank the forum for 90% of my smart decisions. I think the little extra money spent on the OSB will be a big time saver later.

I don't plan to finish the drywall myself. I have a full basement to do (approx. 1200 sqft) at the same time. If I were to try and do it myself the project may never go any further. This is one of those times where I will spend a little money to save my sanity. The wife agrees because I spend enough time down there already.
post #134 of 1289 Old 04-24-2012, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Hey! You had a wonky PVC in the corner of your room/ceiling too! Yay!
post #135 of 1289 Old 04-24-2012, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yup and I tried to copy your design based on the pics you posted. Thanks for the help. I still have a little more support to add over the entryway. Planning to frame in a little arch which is on the list of things to do soon. Then I can insulate and close off the PVC for good, hidden in the soffits where nobody will ever know.
post #136 of 1289 Old 04-29-2012, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Small update this weekend. On with the pics.

Almost finished with IB chamber.

Ran electrical for equipment room.

Started putting up OSB in the equipment room.

Conduit added from the living room to the HVAC area.

Hopefully I'll get a chance this week to finish a little more wiring.

Next weekend is going to be dedicated to yard work (if it doesn't rain like the last couple) so may not be a lot of progress for a little while.
post #137 of 1289 Old 05-15-2012, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Had to save my thread from the 5th page! Man, not progressing in nearly two weeks sucks (and really hurts the updates). All I can say that I have accomplished is a few more electrical runs and some outlets wired up. Work has gotten crazy so there won't be any progress during the week. Hopefully this weekend I will get a chance to get some things done. Need to cut a bunch of small OSB pieces to finish the lower part of the walls and also get the last bit of OSB up in the equipment room. Equipment room may wait though until I get some drywall up in the main room so that I can pull wires into the "shell" easier. All OSB seams still need caulked as well. Really need to get the IB enclosure finished since it doesn't affect anything else. Would be nice to cross something off the list.

Did finish the yard work two weekends ago. Maybe I can post those pics to make myself not look like such a slacker...
post #138 of 1289 Old 05-20-2012, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Small update from the weekends work.

A small thing but a big help...working outlets!

IB enclosure is pretty much done and ready for drywall.

Caulked all the joints and seams of the OSB that I have up.

And the main project today. Created an archway in the small hall entryway into the theater. Pretty happy with how it turned out.

Need to do some additional wiring so that I can finish off the wall between the theater and the equipment room. That might get me to my next milestone of having all the walls in the theater room covered in OSB. Then it's on to green glue and drywall.
post #139 of 1289 Old 05-28-2012, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Very limited work this weekend. Three day weekend and only one day to work kinda sucks but I did get to hit the pool twice and enjoy some 90 degree temps. On to the progress...

Some insulation up between the theater and the equipment room.

Added a vent connection between the theater and the equipment room. This will be the dead vent connection to pull hot air from behind the projector out of the theater, through the equipment room, and out into the main basement living area. There will also be a dead vent for the front to bring air in.

View from the theater side. The vent on the right will be the dead vent. The vent on the left is the cold air return tied to the HVAC system.

Added putty pads to the back of some of the outlet boxes. This picture looks a little funny because the top of the pad plastic hasn't been removed yet. I am not ready to put the top piece of OSB up on the wall so I can't complete the pad. Hoping this keeps the pad from drying out before I finish the OSB.

Also finished all the OSB in the theater room. Only have to finish the entryway and the equipment room. Still need to do a little caulking as well. Some updated room pics.

View from rear left corner...

View from the rear right corner...

View from the front left corner...

View from the front right corner...

View from inside the theater looking out the entryway hall...

Might actually get to crack open a pail of green glue next weekend to put up some drywall in the theater and sub enclosure. More than likely though I will probably finish the OSB in the entryway. I also ordered some doors this weekend. Unfortunately they were not the theater doors (waiting for some pricing on those). Slowly coming together.
post #140 of 1289 Old 05-28-2012, 11:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Looking good!

The Austin Home Theater:

post #141 of 1289 Old 05-29-2012, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just got pricing back on a quote for doors for the theater and equipment room... ouch. Probably wouldn't be so bad if I didn't need to have two.

So here is what I had them quote. For all those following along please let me know what you think and if I should change anything.

Theater
36" x 80" Jeld-Wen 2 Panel Door, 1 3/8" thick, custom 7 7/16" poplar jamb, Procore solid core construction.

Equipment Room
32" x 80" Jeld-Wen 2 Panel Door, 1 3/8" thick, custom 7 7/16" poplar jamb, Procore solid core construction.

I inquired about having exterior weather stripping added to the jamb but was told that they would not do that. How difficult would this be to add later? I also asked about going to a 1 3/4" thick door instead of the 1 3/8". This seems to add almost 35% to the price of each door and 5 weeks to the delivery time. Can anyone comment on whether the thickness of the door adds enough to the sound transmission that it would be worth the added cost and lead time?
post #142 of 1289 Old 05-29-2012, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I hate to create a new thread but I was hoping to get some feedback on my door situation. Maybe a good thread bump is in order.

While I'm at it, I have another question for those out there who have gone the DW/GG/DW or OSB/GG/DW route. I have caulked or will caulk every joint or seam in the OSB before putting up the DW w/GG. After the drywall is up will I be required to caulk everything again or at that point do I just finish the drywall as normal (mud and tape)? Need to plan ahead in case I need to get more caulking.
post #143 of 1289 Old 05-29-2012, 02:26 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanice View Post

I hate to create a new thread but I was hoping to get some feedback on my door situation. Maybe a good thread bump is in order.

While I'm at it, I have another question for those out there who have gone the DW/GG/DW or OSB/GG/DW route. I have caulked or will caulk every joint or seam in the OSB before putting up the DW w/GG. After the drywall is up will I be required to caulk everything again or at that point do I just finish the drywall as normal (mud and tape)? Need to plan ahead in case I need to get more caulking.

I would personally bite the bullet and buy 1 3/4" doors. You are spending all the money on extra mass and green glue, in the end you wont be looking back saying "I wonder how thicker doors would sound". That being said, I am no expert and have no idea how the double door system performs vs a single door.

As for the caulking question. I caulked the first layer of drywall (your plywood), hung the second layer, then just finished the drywall with mud - no caulk. I think if you caulked those seams, it would make finishing nearly impossible.
post #144 of 1289 Old 05-29-2012, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
I would buy the thicker doors unless the lead time delays your progress. I doubt the doors are that expensive to begin with especially when compared to soundproof doors.

The final layer of drywall should be finished with mud and tape - you would not caulk the seams on the final layer.
post #145 of 1289 Old 05-29-2012, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I went with the thicker door also. That being the weak point of the aquarium, the more mass the better.

I caulked all the seams on the first layer, and plan to caulk around the floor of the 2nd layer. Unless you have large gaps between sheets, I would say it isn't necessary on the 2nd layer.

edit: I also plan to caulk around the perimeter of the 2nd layer of the ceiling prior to the 2nd wall layer going up. I have plenty of tubes of OSI, so may as well use them.
post #146 of 1289 Old 05-29-2012, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the replies. I figured the drywall would not need to be caulked and just finished as normal but wanted to get verification.

The cost is definitely significant but I think the lead time may be more of a problem (5-6 weeks). I feel like I would want the door frame in so I can run the drywall up tight. SM2K - Didn't you have some issues with getting the drywall up tight to the frame? I guess I could run my OSB and drywall long and then trim it off once I have the door to know exactly how big of an opening I will need.

Anybody care to share their door costs? Just wonder if I am in the same ballpark. I have one quote of $202 for a 1 3/8" door (see specs above) and $267 for 1 3/4". I am going to check another place who carries a different brand and see what they have to offer.
post #147 of 1289 Old 05-29-2012, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

GWCR makes a great point. Make sure you caulk around the bottom of the drywall on the second layer before putting your baseboards in.

You'd have to price it out, but it might be more beneficial and cheaper for you to go with the less expensive door and then add more mass yourself in the form of MDF plus GG. I bought a 1 3/8" door then added a 1/2" piece of MDF to it with GG sandwiched between. That way you not only get a very heavy door but also one that is damped.

Just for reference I believe my 1 3/8" door was $135.

The Austin Home Theater:

post #148 of 1289 Old 05-29-2012, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

aaustin - Is your door solid core? I think I remember you saying that it was pretty heavy so I'm guessing that it is. I had thought about adding mass to the 1 3/8" door. Shame to cover up the design on the door though. That is probably the only thing keeping me from going with the 1 3/8" door and adding my own mass to it. Aesthetics. I know it should be function over form in this case but I do care about how it looks in the room.
post #149 of 1289 Old 05-29-2012, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes my door is a 1 3/8" solid core slab with the MDF added to it. It feels like a door to a vault.

Keep in mind that using a door with a design brings its own set of problems due to the fact that parts of the door will be thinner and have less mass than others. This will hinder your sound isolation performance.

If I was in your situation I would get a flat solid core door and add a layer of MDF and GG to it. Then you could add a paneled design by gluing and brad nailing some strips of molding onto the face of the door. I would think that the solid slab would be cheaper than the same size paneled door as well so you might also save some money.

The Austin Home Theater:

post #150 of 1289 Old 05-29-2012, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hmm... never really thought about going with a solid flat door and adding trim to it for some visual impact. Wonder if there are any examples out there on the forum to check out. I'll have to give that some thought. I still really like the molded door designs that I have seen. Decisions, decisions.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
4pi speakers , emotiva erd speakers , Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier , ib sub , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Playstation 3 160gb System , Speaker Systems , Xbox 360 250gb Console With Kinect , xbox one
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page