Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1301 Old 06-11-2012, 08:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanice View Post

Not too terribly worried about the drywall in here because it will all be covered with fabric frames. The ceiling will be the most important since it will be the only finished area that will be exposed.

This is the same approach I took too. One thing I did though was prime and paint the walls black, even though they would be covered with frames. It is just a little insurance in case the frames are not tight to one another or if the wood warps over time. This way you won't see white drywall if anything unusual occurs. Probably not necessary, but thought I would mention it.

DrifterStreetStudios

(A GPowers Inspired Fabric Framed Theater)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1301 Old 06-11-2012, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
You should get the IB3's ordered as soon as possible - If they go out of stock they may take a very long time to get back in stock again. It would also be nice to get them installed and start using them. They are really stiff at first and need lots of break in.
post #183 of 1301 Old 06-11-2012, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZGAMD View Post

This is the same approach I took too. One thing I did though was prime and paint the walls black, even though they would be covered with frames. It is just a little insurance in case the frames are not tight to one another or if the wood warps over time. This way you won't see white drywall if anything unusual occurs. Probably not necessary, but thought I would mention it.

That's not a bad idea. Definitely would not want to have to take down frames to paint after the fact. I need to find a cheap sprayer because I have a full basement to do and I don't want to have to roll everything. Wouldn't be the end of the world to roll but would definitely be easier spraying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockmonkey2000 View Post

You should get the IB3's ordered as soon as possible - If they go out of stock they may take a very long time to get back in stock again. It would also be nice to get them installed and start using them. They are really stiff at first and need lots of break in.

You are right on that. I need to check what I have coming up in the way of expenditures and see if I can fit them in. I know they will take awhile to make and ship (probably at least a month) so I have to plan for that as well. Also need to pick up a Behringer EP4000 if I can find one on a good sale. I thought there would be better sales around Memorial Day but I didn't really see any. Oh well, time to have a talk with the budget committee (the better half). rolleyes.gif
post #184 of 1301 Old 06-11-2012, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

I need to find a cheap sprayer because I have a full basement to do and I don't want to have to roll everything. Wouldn't be the end of the world to roll but would definitely be easier spraying.

Consider buying a moderately priced unit and selling it on Craigslist when you're through with it. Ends up being a lot cheaper than renting.

Maker of the finest saw dust since 1980, give or take

MY Custom AV Cabinet with DIY Pull-Out and Rotate Rack
post #185 of 1301 Old 06-11-2012, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think I have seen a cheap reconditioned unit that several have used on here before. Aaustin was the last person I remember. Need to see how he liked it. I believe it was under $100.
post #186 of 1301 Old 06-11-2012, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:

I think I have seen a cheap reconditioned unit that several have used on here before. Aaustin was the last person I remember. Need to see how he liked it. I believe it was under $100.

Did I hear my name? biggrin.gif

Here is the one that I have. It is the Graco 2900 Spray Station.

http://www.gleempaint.com/noname.html

Overall I like it, but it is hard to use it for any painting that requires neat lines. I ended up using the roller on my walls and ceiling since the overspray would have made it impossible to accurately paint a corner where two different colors meet. In your situation with all black overspray onto other surfaces wouldn't be a problem though, so I expect that it may be perfect for you. I also like it for trim work since you can set the pieces up on a tarp in the yard and quickly spray them. Keep in mind also that the container only holds a quart of paint at a time so it will take some refilling.

The Austin Home Theater:
A DIY high school project (now complete and being enjoyed everyday)

post #187 of 1301 Old 06-12-2012, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes sir!

That is exactly the one I was thinking about. Thanks for the quick review. I was thinking that it would be great for primer, trim, and doing large areas where accuracy was not critical. Sounds like I was right! I may have to pick up one of these to play with.

How well does it clean up? How far can you go before a refill? Any special things you have to do to the paint?
post #188 of 1301 Old 06-12-2012, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes sir!
That is exactly the one I was thinking about. Thanks for the quick review. I was thinking that it would be great for primer, trim, and doing large areas where accuracy was not critical. Sounds like I was right! I may have to pick up one of these to play with.
How well does it clean up? How far can you go before a refill? Any special things you have to do to the paint?

It cleans up very easily. You just fill the container with water and spray it through the gun to clean out the inside. You can get pretty far before a refill is needed. I'd guess that it is about 100-150 square feet of wall coverage. The paint does need to be thinned a little in order for it to shoot through the gun easily. If you use latex paint then this is super easy since you only need water.

The gun comes with a DVD that gives you all the information you'd ever need for set up, painting, and cleanup.

The Austin Home Theater:

post #189 of 1301 Old 06-12-2012, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Appreciate the feedback. I may go ahead and get one just in case they stop offering them or the price goes up. Seems like a pretty good investment.
post #190 of 1301 Old 06-12-2012, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, pulled the trigger on the sprayer. If nothing else it should make priming a full basement a little easier.
post #191 of 1301 Old 06-12-2012, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, pulled the trigger on the sprayer. If nothing else it should make priming a full basement a little easier.

Congratulations! It's always fun buying new tools!

The Austin Home Theater:

post #192 of 1301 Old 06-21-2012, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Unfortunately not a lot of progress on the theater side of things this past week or so. Spent the time I had last weekend working on drywalling the workout room. Other non theater related news, got word yesterday that all the doors for the basement (excluding the theater and equipment room doors) are in and ready to be picked up.

I did make another theater related purchase this week...
EL_AVR3312CIBK_E3jpg.jpg

Bam! Got myself in trouble trolling slickdeals. Couldn't pass it up though. Incredible one day price on Amazon. Had thought that I would eventually get the Onkyo 818 because I currently have a 606 (I think) and like it well enough. Main reason for an upgrade was to get preouts so that I could hook up separate amps in the future. But then the 3312 came along and changed the plans. It seemed to be a popular choice on here and for the price I just couldn't pass it up. Never had a Denon before but so far I like what I hear (it has taken the place of the Onkyo in the living room for now).

Also picked up a powerbridge for the projector and got a crap load of GOM anchorage samples sent to me. On the samples, I was expecting to get some small microscopic sample from Guilford of Maine but was pleasantly surprised to get some rather large pieces that will be very helpful in trying to decide what colors to use. Also props to them for sending me 19 different samples at no charge to me (including two day shipping). biggrin.gif

Looks like I should have some good time to work this weekend. I have plenty of things to do but here is what tops the list:
1) Pick up basement doors
2) Pick up last bit of lumber needed to finish last wall, various soffit work, and last couple of door frames.
3) Get as much drywall on the walls in the main basement area as possible to free up space so that I can get the lift in there for the ceiling panels.
4) Maybe get the lift Sunday and work on finishing the ceiling in the theater. This may be a long shot but would mean that I defnitely made good progress.

Starting to feel like I am in a funk where no matter how much I do I don't see a lot of progress. Hopefully getting a lot of the drywall up and out of the way will help that. Sometimes I wonder where I would be on the theater room right now if that were the only room I was working on?? rolleyes.gif
post #193 of 1301 Old 06-25-2012, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, some solid work this weekend but unfortunately none of it involved the theater. Still trying to get the rest of the basement caught up to the theater. Looking at my list from earlier in the week:

1) Pick up basement doors - We were able to get all the doors (five in total) picked up on Saturday. Currently being stashed in the garage because I just don't have space in the basement to bring them down yet. Picking these up along with the lumber exhausted half of my work time on Saturday.
2) Pick up last bit of lumber needed to finish last wall, various soffit work, and last couple of door frames. - We picked up, and moved into the basement, another (55) 9' 2x4s to finish off the door frames, walls, and soffit work that remain. We were able to complete the workout room soffit, workout and electrical room door frames, and the dropped ceiling outside the bathroom. This allowed me to move onto number 3.
3) Get as much drywall on the walls in the main basement area as possible to free up space so that I can get the lift in there for the ceiling panels. - The workout room drywall is now complete and, except for one low voltage box, ready for drywall finishing. We were also able to get the small hall outside the workout room/bathroom drywalled. This is as far as we got on Sunday because we had to quite early (and we also ran out of drywall screws rolleyes.gif)
4) Maybe get the lift Sunday and work on finishing the ceiling in the theater. This may be a long shot but would mean that I defnitely made good progress. - Did not happen. Bummed but I feel good about what we did get done.

I may have to throw a few pictures on here to prove that I am actually working. I promise... rolleyes.gif

I also met with a plumber that I have worked with before and got him scheduled to come in and do the rough-in plumbing for the bathroom, cement in the shower pan, and install the ejector pump and plumbing associated with it. Pretty reasonable price (I would have lost the showcase showdown if this were the Price Is Right because my guess was over) and that's with him providing the shower pan and ejector pump. I ordered the shower fixtures and the urinal (my favorite part of this bathroom biggrin.gif) components as well and hope they arrive this week when he is here doing his work. Still have a few other items to get (vanity, lights, vent) but only the vent will be needed before I can finish off the drywall in the bathroom.

So unfortunately my gun sits soaking up water instead of green glue but I hope to get back to theater related progress soon.
post #194 of 1301 Old 06-25-2012, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

It sounds like you got a lot done. But of course you could be lying. Pics or it didn't happen. wink.gif

You are going to have a urinal?!? Now that is a MAN cave! biggrin.gif

The Austin Home Theater:

post #195 of 1301 Old 06-25-2012, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok, here are a few pics. My camera doesn't have a wide angle lens and combined with small areas doesn't make for great pictures.

Here are the latest pics of the bathroom.
IMG_2236.jpg

IMG_2245.jpg

Latest pics of the workout room. This room will be the only room in the basement that gets a drop ceiling.
IMG_2238.jpg

IMG_2239.jpg

IMG_2244.jpg

IMG_2249.jpg

The hall outside the bathroom and workout room.
IMG_2246.jpg

IMG_2247.jpg

The urinal is something that I have wanted from the beginning. It's just one more thing getting me closer to that true movie experience. Now I just need the popcorn maker and the pump butter dispenser. biggrin.gif

And for those interested, the urinal I purchased (minus the fancy electronic sensor flush)...
ut104ev.jpg
post #196 of 1301 Old 06-26-2012, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

The urinal is something that I have wanted from the beginning. It's just one more thing getting me closer to that true movie experience. Now I just need the popcorn maker and the pump butter dispenser. biggrin.gif
And for those interested, the urinal I purchased (minus the fancy electronic sensor flush)...
ut104ev.jpg

Permanent lifetime mancard membership status: Acheived!
post #197 of 1301 Old 06-27-2012, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ha! Thanks. Pretty pumped about it. I would have never thought that I could be so excited about a plumbing fixture. When I tell people about it my face lights up like a proud parent. biggrin.gif
post #198 of 1301 Old 06-27-2012, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
That is pretty cool! I'd be less pumped about having to clean the walls around it after a movie party. Hopefully you are mounting it to tile and not painted drywall...
post #199 of 1301 Old 06-27-2012, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Definitely tiling the area around the urinal. I'm hoping the urinal actually reduces clean up since it provides a much larger target then your typical toilet with the seat down because someone is too lazy to raise it. rolleyes.gif
post #200 of 1301 Old 06-27-2012, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Post 200!! Sorry, got excited for a second. Did a little more drywall last night. Still waiting to hear about my theater doors. I'm thinking they should be available very soon. That will allow me to get in and finish the theater drywall. Did I mention that I am still working on drywall?? rolleyes.gif
post #201 of 1301 Old 06-27-2012, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ut104ev.jpg

Now all you need is a hand dryer to make it the coolest bathroom on earth!

Dyson airblade??? biggrin.gif

The Austin Home Theater:

post #202 of 1301 Old 06-27-2012, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That is the Taj Mahal of hand driers. I have to draw the line somewhere and this is it. Besides, I never feel like I get clean hands with air.
post #203 of 1301 Old 06-28-2012, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Wow. Makes me want to dirty my hands...

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
post #204 of 1301 Old 06-28-2012, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted White View Post

Wow. Makes me want to dirty my hands...

I had the privilege of using an airblade once. I imagined that that must be what drying your hands on the U.S.S. Enterprise feels like.

The Austin Home Theater:

post #205 of 1301 Old 06-28-2012, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Those are really nice indeed. No need to touch, fast drying, high pitched.

Krakhen

post #206 of 1301 Old 06-28-2012, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Big news today. The theater and equipment room doors have arrived!! This means I should be able to finish off the theater drywall this weekend. cool.gif

Some pics of the doors...
IMG_2252.jpg

IMG_2253.jpg

A shot of the door stop with the weather stripping:
IMG_2254.jpg

They added the strip across the bottom but I will have to remove it since I purchased the zero adjustable door bottoms. I know others have used these with some success but I believe the concensus is that the zero is the way to go.
IMG_2255.jpg

IMG_2256.jpg

Also in other basement news, had the plumber in today to rough-in the bathroom. Now I will be able to drywall the bathroom as well. Going to be a long weekend. biggrin.gif
post #207 of 1301 Old 07-01-2012, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Weekend update.

Began the weekend hauling the doors down to the basement and getting a couple of them installed. The theater doors were beasts.

Random pics of the bathroom, entry to the electrical room, and workout room.
IMG_2257.jpg

IMG_2258.jpg

Some updated pics of the bathroom after rough-in.
IMG_2263.jpg

IMG_2262.jpg

IMG_2264.jpg

And the new home for the urinal!
IMG_2260.jpg

And the newly installed theater door!
IMG_2266.jpg

IMG_2268.jpg

IMG_2269.jpg

I also ran across the same issue as SM2K with the door hinges. Went to put a longer screw in the hinges and had nothing to attach to. I plan to add a piece of 1x beside the jamb that I can screw into to help solidify the door. This will allow me to still drywall over it and keep it at approx. the same elevation as the rest of the OSB
IMG_2273.jpg

And today I finished the ceiling drywall in the theater. Unfortunately I didn't get the whole room done. Seemed like every thing that could have gone wrong did. But we fought through it and got the hard part done. A few updated thieater pics.
Looking towards the back.
IMG_2275.jpg

Looking towards the front.
IMG_2276.jpg

So didn't complete all that I was hoping for but having the theater door in is pretty cool. Really changed the look inside and out.

This week, more of the same. Drywall, drywall, drywall. rolleyes.gif
post #208 of 1301 Old 07-02-2012, 03:45 PM

Liked: 10
keep up awesome work. I'm there for ya in spirit. Im doing full basement renow from moldy 1400 "storage" basement to main living..sorta. Its nice (dont' feel as bad) seeing others like yourself doing full basement renow. It is so much harder and times feel like not getting anywhere when we have so much and all we really want is the HT done. Im rooting for ya man and keep up great work.. be nice to focus on just 10 things instead of 100's. Not sure i would want to be a contractor but have experiance now if want change careers...NOT. So get back to work...both of us and everyone else.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1415166/bluff-rock-cinema-buildnow-under-way#post_22181478 Bluff Rock Cinema build and whole basement renow for fun and games
From moldy/musty mess to magnificent wonder(i hope)
post #209 of 1301 Old 07-02-2012, 04:01 PM

Liked: 10
Oh and im sooooo much in urinal envey. I wanted one in basement br and wife was not happy...not that i care but she said "whos going to clean it" well heck that is her job. (did he really say that and live). So now that i see urs im decided to tell her all HT and fiesta bar party rooms need one. Enjoy. Oh, serious note not that urinal arent' serious stuff but how do u like osb and DW combo. Is it quite or too soon to tell. I am pondering the osb, dd and GG set up. OSB makes since to easy attach stuff. yes DW easier to cut but cut so much osb over years...not biggy in grand renow game. As you probably know in planning we wonder if what we do is worth it or will make big enug difference for effort. And I hate after fact wishing did something different. Thanks

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1415166/bluff-rock-cinema-buildnow-under-way#post_22181478 Bluff Rock Cinema build and whole basement renow for fun and games
From moldy/musty mess to magnificent wonder(i hope)
post #210 of 1301 Old 07-02-2012, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j baldwin View Post

keep up awesome work. I'm there for ya in spirit. Im doing full basement renow from moldy 1400 "storage" basement to main living..sorta. Its nice (dont' feel as bad) seeing others like yourself doing full basement renow. It is so much harder and times feel like not getting anywhere when we have so much and all we really want is the HT done. Im rooting for ya man and keep up great work.. be nice to focus on just 10 things instead of 100's. Not sure i would want to be a contractor but have experiance now if want change careers...NOT. So get back to work...both of us and everyone else.

Thanks for checking out my build. It does suck that I can't commit to one room. I'm hoping the end result is worth it (and I'm sure it is) but it is hard to keep the motivation up when I feel like I am doing the same thing over and over again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j baldwin View Post

Oh and im sooooo much in urinal envey. I wanted one in basement br and wife was not happy...not that i care but she said "whos going to clean it" well heck that is her job. (did he really say that and live). So now that i see urs im decided to tell her all HT and fiesta bar party rooms need one. Enjoy. Oh, serious note not that urinal arent' serious stuff but how do u like osb and DW combo. Is it quite or too soon to tell. I am pondering the osb, dd and GG set up. OSB makes since to easy attach stuff. yes DW easier to cut but cut so much osb over years...not biggy in grand renow game. As you probably know in planning we wonder if what we do is worth it or will make big enug difference for effort. And I hate after fact wishing did something different. Thanks

Ha! I think it is going to work out well and be a really cool feature (definitely something that you don't see too often). My wife is cool with it and has given me pretty much free range to do as I want in the basement (within reason). The cleaning point did come up but I went with the "it's a much larger target" defense. biggrin.gif

Unfortunetly I can't say for sure whether the OSB/DW combo is better than Dbl DW or not. Too many holes still and I haven't heard a comparable room. I can say that OSB is a much bigger pain to cut and hang but putting up the drywall was much easier with it in place. I know Ted says that you should get similar results between the two methods as long as the masses are similar. I went with 3/4" OSB to try and get the most mass that I could. I think the OSB will also be very beneficial when it comes time to build and hang the soffit and columns. Being able to attach anywhere should be really nice and help speed that portion up some. I don't think I will have any regrets going with the OSB. My biggest regret so far is not using T & G OSB for the floor instead of lower grade plywood. It bows really badly and the edges don't match up very well. It is going to make the flooring phase way more difficult. mad.gif
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
4pi speakers , emotiva erd speakers , Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier , ib sub , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Playstation 3 160gb System , Speaker Systems , Xbox 360 250gb Console With Kinect , xbox one
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page