AKKR Theater - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 35 Old 11-30-2013, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks, the key is to build temporary staging. I had planks set up so there was no up and down a ladder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 Old 11-30-2013, 07:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Your ceiling looks very nice. Keep up the good work. smile.gif

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brands we sell: 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #33 of 35 Old 01-11-2014, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter

I thought with all the cold weather the riding would be perfect this weekend. Got the ice tires put on the 300 and was ready to hit the trails until i saw the torrential rains out the window. Well, I guess i can aim to finish my paneling. Got one wall section and one column section of MDF to finish. Then i can sand all the joints and move to the base, cap and panel insert molding. Of course i didnt account for my electrical outlets and had to pull them out .75" to fit with the panel insert. The top rail will be about 2" wide with a rounded edge. Oh, and then i can clean up this mess

post #34 of 35 Old 03-31-2014, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Major construction and trim work is done. I gotta figure out how to finish off the bottoms of the front columns. My two subs are tucked in there so the front needs to be removeable. I was hoping to build out the bottom of the columns similar to the others by using chair rail and trim. However, I have just enough room to fit a 120" 2.35 screen between the two speaker columns (124.5" total spacing). If I use any sort of trim to wrap around the corner to the screen, id have to drop down to a 115". This is based on screen frame sizes listed on the internets. Not sure what im gonna do and I keep putting it off to work on other stuff.

Current front speakers are old DIYs that sound OK but I plan on replacing them with a set of Fusions. I can fit Fusion 12's in the columns and an Alchemy MTM for the center. Just need to trim the openings for the L&R and build a support for the center.

As far as the paneling, ive decided to end it at the front column as shown. The blank space between the column and speakers will get a full length acoustic panel. The walls above the paneling will get frames and fabric. Thinking of going with a dark blue on the flats of the ceiling and keeping the trim/molding and coffer beams black. Walls would be similar blue and bottom paneling would be all black. Gonna try to pick out colors soon and get some painting done soon.

Current plan is for two rows of seats but all our friends think we are nuts building a theater. They just don't get it. So with the 4 of us, I keep thinking of adding a bar for the back row.

post #35 of 35 Old 04-02-2014, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm250rider View Post

Major construction and trim work is done. I gotta figure out how to finish off the bottoms of the front columns. My two subs are tucked in there so the front needs to be removeable. I was hoping to build out the bottom of the columns similar to the others by using chair rail and trim. However, I have just enough room to fit a 120" 2.35 screen between the two speaker columns (124.5" total spacing). If I use any sort of trim to wrap around the corner to the screen, id have to drop down to a 115". This is based on screen frame sizes listed on the internets. Not sure what im gonna do and I keep putting it off to work on other stuff.

I did a DIY Seymour Center Stage XD screen 126" wide x 64: high 2.0:1 constant image area. It wrapped around the frame and the grommets and bands are in the back. It would just be floating in your space perfect if you went that route. If the sides of cabinets and ceiling above were black that would look nice. You could fill the entire are with goodness. The constant image area gives you a larger 16x9 and 2.40:1 than if you picked either of the other formats. All for less than $650 counting my frame and minimalist wall. He is carrying the UV4k in DYI now as well
20131229_215131.jpg
20140209_103600.jpg

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page