AKKR Theater - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 35 Old 01-01-2012, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Time to start finishing our home theater. I built the house 5 years ago with the intention of a dedicated theater. Its currently got drywall and some lighting. The room is roughly 15 x 20 x 9. There is a 4 foot soffit in the front and 16 in around the other three walls. No windows. There will be an 8 inch riser for the back row and front stage. The entrance to the theater will have a small game room and all the equipment will be accessed from here. We have recieved the following for equipment recommendations:

EPSON POWERLITE PRO CINEMA 9700 UB 1080P
DA-LITE 37710JKP 110” CINEMA CONTOUR 16:9
NAD T 777 HOME THEATER RECEIVER
NAD T 567 BLU-RAY DISC/DVD PLAYER
FURMAN ELITE-15PFi POWER CONDITIONER
UNIVERSAL REMOTE CONTROL MX-880 REMOTE
UNIVERSAL REMOTE CONTROL MRF-350 RF BASE STATION
UNIVERSAL REMOTE CONTROL MRFA-600M-URC-WH RF WALL DIMMER
ATLANTIC TECHNOLOGY FS-3200LR-P-GLB LEFT/RIGHT ON-WALL SPEAKERS
ATLANTIC TECHNOLOGY FS-3200C-GLB CENTER ON-WALL SPEAKER
ATLANTIC TECHNOLOGY 2400SR-P-BLK DIPOLE/BIPOLE SURROUNDs
2 PARADIGM MONITOR SERIES SUB 10 POWERED SUBWOOFER
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 01-01-2012, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Sometimes this iPad is a pain. So I've read almost all 31 pages of the Desert Sunset theater. It's put a bunch of questions in my head. first is the post about sound proofing on my one wall adjacent to the living room.
Also, I wonder if I should build a box for my projector as well?
post #3 of 35 Old 01-01-2012, 03:38 PM

I am a big fan of Atlantic Technology speakers. I used them in my theater - and then in my family room and latest in my master bedroom. I don't remember the specific speakers but im pretty sure they are similar to yours. I liked how inexpensive they are and the sound quality is really really high in my opinion.

Edit: if you want a really good remote and don't want to blow the bank consider iRule for your iPad which you are complaining about
Best of luck!

Neil
post #4 of 35 Old 01-02-2012, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Added some pics of the current state of the room. I think ill take advanatage of the design service before going any further. Its only been like this for about 4 years.
LL
LL
LL
post #5 of 35 Old 01-05-2012, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Well for the past couple days I've been walking around the house either full of anxiety or completely stressed. I put my order in with Dennis, I really don't want to tear down what little I have done so far. My supportive wife said "you might as well do it right it's not like we are ever moving"! Well I guess it's a wait and see what the pros come back with.
post #6 of 35 Old 01-29-2012, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Stopped at our local dealer tuis weekend. Looks like we will be going with a 3D projector, Epson 6010. The kids really liked the 3D, I thought it was ok. So, can I still use an AT screen?
post #7 of 35 Old 02-01-2012, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

While Im waiting for my design from Dennis's group I figured i get a couple more plans in line. I know ill have some sort of stage with speakers placed on it. All the posts ive read have sand filled cavities which makes sense. All of these theaters are in the basement which doesnt prove to be a challenge with structural loads. My theater is on the first floor, which is framed with engineered I-beam type floor joist and 3/4 advantech plywood. I dont remember the exact specs of the joist but looking at the manufactures charts, none of them are rated for over a 60psf dead load. A 4 foot wide stage built with 2x8's will give a load of approximatly 63lb/sqft.
I think the most i can do is fill the two ends and center with sand and the remaining with insulation. Are there any other options, perhaps increased framing or bracing?
post #8 of 35 Old 02-01-2012, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
I don't think I would want a sand filled stage unless it is in the basement. I would try to figure out where the speakers will be placed and just put sand there.
post #9 of 35 Old 02-03-2012, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

I wonder if I should build it in three sections and separate them with sand filled sections under the speakers.

Star ceiling or not? They look cool but would the money could be better spent on speakers, amp, etc.
post #10 of 35 Old 02-03-2012, 05:46 PM

Liked: 11
I have a KTM SW400, so I like your screen name.
Here's my 2 Cents: Start with the basics and work your way up. I have been reading 100s of posts here from guys that are spending thousands and thousands for walls, sound deadening, stages, paint on ceiling with integrated LEDs, etc, etc etc. All well and good once you have your other options covered. But to begin, you have to get good equipment to build upon. Get the basic setup done first and then add the details. Don't let the details eat up your budget before you get the good reference speakers or the projector that will give you an amazing picture. Wall sconces will do you no good if your picture is distorted with a bad screen, or the audio sounds off because you skimped on a 100 dollar amp.
Not all of us can afford a $100,000 theater, so start with the base elements and then build up from there.
Mamie likes this.
post #11 of 35 Old 02-06-2012, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Star ceiling is still up in the air (no pun intended).

One thing that I know I will need is some sort of lighting control. I currently have 3 zones which are wall sconce, cans and rope lights. I need to add another circuit for my floor lighting that I forgot about. Any other recommendations for control other than Graffik eye? I'm thinking about using a Harmony 1100 remote.
post #12 of 35 Old 02-19-2012, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Agreed, id rather spend the money on equipment. I figured id skip the star ceiling and do a coffered ceiling with rope lighting. Did a couple layouts and ended with a centered bay with 8 bays surrounding. At roughly 130 feet of molding, and multiple pieces to build up the profile, Id easily be up to the cost of the star ceiling.
post #13 of 35 Old 02-27-2012, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Well, how about both a coffered ceiling with a star field in the middle. Design so far will be two levels of crown molding with a dark stain. Ceiling color will be a dark brown. similar to Jauters ceiling. I wasnt sure how the model would come out so i only attached part of it. The bottom section will run around the bottom of the soffits, the inner coffered section will have a 4 foot square cavity with the others built off of that. THe center section I was thinking of putting a star field in. Also, the inner coffered sections with crown will have rope lighting. Not sure how much room i need between the top of the crown and the ceiling. The sections are about 8 inchs deep and the soffits are 12 inches.
LL
post #14 of 35 Old 02-27-2012, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyjpilot View Post

I have a KTM SW400, so I like your screen name.
Here's my 2 Cents: Start with the basics and work your way up. I have been reading 100s of posts here from guys that are spending thousands and thousands for walls, sound deadening, stages, paint on ceiling with integrated LEDs, etc, etc etc. All well and good once you have your other options covered. But to begin, you have to get good equipment to build upon. Get the basic setup done first and then add the details. Don't let the details eat up your budget before you get the good reference speakers or the projector that will give you an amazing picture. Wall sconces will do you no good if your picture is distorted with a bad screen, or the audio sounds off because you skimped on a 100 dollar amp.
Not all of us can afford a $100,000 theater, so start with the base elements and then build up from there.

I think you are far better off spending the money on the room than on equipment. The room your equipment is in has a far greater impact on the sound than the equipment itself. Most electronic equipment (with the exception of speakers) is built to reproduce the entire spectrum of sound from DC to 20khz with maybe a .05db variation at the most. But the room could have peaks and nulls of 30db at different frequencies. Also you can upgrade the equipment as budget permits, you cannot go back and change the room as easily.

If you build the room yourself the cost of a really nice room is not unreasonable. I would guess there are very few builds on this forum that are $100k. Without equipment factored in I would say most of the really nice theaters here come in less than 1/5 of that price. There are really nice well done rooms here that have the entire room budget including equipment under 10k, and I would bet that they outperform many theaters where 20k of equipment is put in a regular room. The Bacon Race theater came in at $30k including equipment and over 10k of that was for the projector and seating. I think it is easy to read through these threads and assume that everyone here is spending big $$$. When you look at what some professional installers come up with with 6 figure price tags it is easy to make that assumption. While soundproofing, star ceilings etc do cost extra money most of the true "cost" is really the additional labor.
post #15 of 35 Old 02-27-2012, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Oops, I agree with spending money on the room. that's why I'm anxiously waiting for my design from Dennis group. What I meant is I'd rather spend money on equipment over a star ceiling that has no effect on sound or video.
post #16 of 35 Old 03-11-2012, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Got my plans from Dennis last week but couldnt do much because we were heading out to do a little skiing. Fortunatly the snow was good enough that I didnt mind not getting right to work. It was also good timing for the plans so that my ADHD could kick in and i could start another project and get away from mudding!

So far Ive got the riser complete with a couple outlets, future conduit and a couple LED step lights. Glued, screwed and filled with insulation. I have to keep remininding myself to not buy lumber at those convienece stores. What crap lumber they sell. The 2x12 that had the step cut out ending up splitting down the entire 6 foot section. That piece ended up in the wood furnace. I keep telling myself not to buy lumber there.

This weekend I stopped at a REAL lumber yard and picked up some 2x12s for the stage. The guys loading the car asked if I wanted to site them. I told them their worst stick is 10 times better than the crap i bought. Paid a little extra but it was well worth it. It was hard to tell which way the crown was going and there were no splits.

Looks like ill be going with Triad silver inwalls for the front and bronze for the surrounds. The rear surrounds need to be moved to the soffit per the plan. Naturally, there is a can light right were it needs to go. We'll have to see what moves, the light or the speaker.
post #17 of 35 Old 03-28-2012, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Riser in process with a couple outlets for chairs, and LED step lights.

Riser done

Stage

Ceiling before, after will be much later now that MX season is starting
post #18 of 35 Old 12-30-2012, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Back at it. Got most of the coffered ceiling done and primed. The crown and trim needs to be completed. Im gonna put a coat of black on it first. Also got a start on the screen wall. Got pictures to download and post.
post #19 of 35 Old 12-30-2012, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Main coffered beams complete with nail holes filled

Primed, tinted brown. This is close to the color im thinking about. The Ceiling will be the same color with crown molding trim on all intersections being black.

Screen wall. Not sure if this is going to work. While assembling i realized that i wouldnt be able to fit my sub behind there if I framed the corners all the way to the floor. What I have will be supported from the ceiling. Im going to also add bracing to the back and side walls. These are going to hold Triad inwall silvers for speakers. Website says about 50lbs. The top portion will be trimed similar to Mcascio front wall. The bottom portion will have to be removable so i can slide the subs in. I think this will work.
post #20 of 35 Old 01-18-2013, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thinking of using corner blocks on my ceiling to eliminate all the coped corners i would have to do with the crown.
post #21 of 35 Old 01-18-2013, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

Little bigger view
post #22 of 35 Old 01-19-2013, 04:49 AM - Thread Starter

Got my linacoustic material. Which side is out, does it matter? From what i can find its the smother side with writing on it. Also, my plan calls for 6 mil vinyl sheeting between the two layers. Im not familiar with vinyl sheeting other than vinyl flooring. This stuff available at the local box stores? Or can i just use standard polyethylene sheeting?
post #23 of 35 Old 01-19-2013, 08:35 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 533
post #24 of 35 Old 01-19-2013, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

That makes sense because I did it the other way. At least i know my pieces fit.
post #25 of 35 Old 01-28-2013, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

coffered cavities are complete done.

Potential light tray, 1x6 with crown and base molding. Not sure if it will light the cavities above with the over hand above the tray.
post #26 of 35 Old 01-29-2013, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Whats the concensous on the paint color behind the light tray? currently its brown primer, close to my final color at this point. Thinking of painting the vertical surface white to get more light up into the ceiling. The visible surface on the underside of the outer coffer beam will remain a brownish color. I tossed a flashlight up there to see how it would light up but it didnt really work. I guess ill have to pick up some rope lighting to give it a whirl.
post #27 of 35 Old 06-12-2013, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 93
post #28 of 35 Old 11-28-2013, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

No updates, ADHD kicked in an I started on other projects. then the warmer weather came and it was baseball and MX season. Bikes are put away until the trails freeze up. While I haven't done any building, ive been going back and forth on the acoustical treatments. My plan from Dennis shows 2x6 foot panels spaced between the columns with 1x6 panels on the columns. These could hang on the wall or covered with fabric. The wife likes the look of wainscoting similar to Marios walls.

Ive also planned out a similar layout to the Withrow theater. The problem is, I run out of spacing when using trim around the panels, especially on the columns. The wife doesn't like the all fabric wall look but accepts the large panel with trim type. Im more for function over form.

I guess it would be a compromise to go with the wainscoting type walls with the treatments above the chair rail. Or I may work on fitting in some treatment in the panel openings. Just wondering how much of a compromise id be looking at.
post #29 of 35 Old 11-28-2013, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, I almost forgot. I did build a couple 18" subs for the theater. currently using one in the living room until the room is done. sounds so much better than my tiny 12" id been using. Cant wait to hook up both.
post #30 of 35 Old 11-28-2013, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm250rider View Post

Main coffered beams complete with nail holes filled

Primed, tinted brown. This is close to the color im thinking about. The Ceiling will be the same color with crown molding trim on all intersections being black.

Screen wall. Not sure if this is going to work. While assembling i realized that i wouldnt be able to fit my sub behind there if I framed the corners all the way to the floor. What I have will be supported from the ceiling. Im going to also add bracing to the back and side walls. These are going to hold Triad inwall silvers for speakers. Website says about 50lbs. The top portion will be trimed similar to Mcascio front wall. The bottom portion will have to be removable so i can slide the subs in. I think this will work.

Nice job on the coffer ceiling!! Like how you tied into soffit...........................................................

Coffer ceiling is my next project this Summer......................hope you didn't tweek a few neck muscles!!!! biggrin.gif
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page