Home theater build NC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-01-2012, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, I am new to the forum and I would like to start gathering my parts for my theater build. This is going to take a while because I still have to purchase the house! But, while I am waiting, I figured I would go ahead and start my research for components.

What I have at the moment:

Klipsch RC 3 center
Klipsch RF 3 towers x2
Klipsch RS 3 surrounds x2
Klipsch KSW 200

Yamaha RX-V 1000 5.1
Panasonic DMP-BDT110 Blu ray player
TiVo HD

What I WANT to do:
I know the equipment is on the older side... I want to upgrade my receiver to a 7.1 that can process the latest blu ray sound via HDMI. I would like some recommendations on stand alone receivers OR receiver/amp combos that tend to sound/match well with my klipsch speakers. I will prob also upgrade the woofer since it is not part of the reference series and add will need to add 2 more surrounds.

NEXT, i need a nice 1080p projector. Want to keep it under 2000 dollars. Don't care for 3D at this time. I do not know if I should go for LCD or DLP. What is the best bang for the buck?

So, priorities right now are 1) projector and 2) nice 7.1 reciever/amp
I look forward to your sugesstions! I will purchase the projector new and most likely purchase the audio equipment used to cut down on price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-01-2012, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am quite new to all these but from what I am learning..
I have seen several good receivers are coming in sale by newegg or at times available as combo with some decent speaker system (which you can offload on craigslist or ebay). I would suggest this for economic choice
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V667...5464249&sr=8-2

or this if money was not an issue
http://www.amazon.com/Marantz-SR6005...5464354&sr=1-3

For projector
review this there are several in your budget
http://www.projectorcentral.com/home...projectors.htm

by the way, I am looking forward to building this kind of theater in NC too, but not many houses have basement due to moisture issues and high ground water levels. Are you using basement for this build?
post #3 of 6 Old 01-01-2012, 05:09 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 617
WARNING: Your biggest mistake is to buy any equipment before you have a house, a room, and a plan for the room. Even then until the room is near completion don't buy the equipment as it may end up sitting around and become obsolete.

You should focus on finding a house with a suitable space for a theater.

For example one reason not to buy a projector is that the size of the room and suitable projector locations may eliminate certain projectors from consideration. Another reason is that every year there are improvements that many in hindsight have wished they had waited. The addition of Memory zoom for using scope screens is one example. In a year there will probably be more offerings.

Instead of fantasizing over equipment and starting to horde gear you should research room design, soundproofing and acoustical treatments. If you want to start getting ready, buy a few 5 gallon buckets of Green Glue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PROJECTS:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old 01-01-2012, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

WARNING: Your biggest mistake is to buy any equipment before you have a house, a room, and a plan for the room. Even then until the room is near completion don't buy the equipment as it may end up sitting around and become obsolete.

You should focus on finding a house with a suitable space for a theater.

For example one reason not to buy a projector is that the size of the room and suitable projector locations may eliminate certain projectors from consideration. Another reason is that every year there are improvements that many in hindsight have wished they had waited. The addition of Memory zoom for using scope screens is one example. In a year there will probably be more offerings.

Instead of fantasizing over equipment and starting to horde gear you should research room design, soundproofing and acoustical treatments. If you want to start getting ready, buy a few 5 gallon buckets of Green Glue.

+1 Big has it right. I have taken four plus years to complete my basement and theater build out. Had I purchased all of my equipment back when I embarked on this journey I would have spent money on equipment for it to just sit in the box, I would now have four year old OUTDATED equipment. One example is projectors I would have spent more in the long run as prices have come down as performance has improved.

We don't mean to rain on your parade, but just trying to help you get the horse before the cart. It is ok and encouraged to dream and plan (I have been doing it for 4 years), but I would hold off on any additional equipment purchases. BTW while older the Klipsch's are your best investment to date as speakers do not change like projectors, BR players, and receivers.

Good luck.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-01-2012, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for your responses and I appreciate the honesty. Drridhesh, I will probably be searching for receivers comparable to the marantz when I decide to purchase. ThAnks for the recommendation. And about the basement situation, the answer will prob be yes. I will be living in the triad region and many of the homes in that area have basements/man caves.

Rtrose and bigmouth- I agree with you on the projector situation. They will have stuff out in 6 months that makes the current models "old". However, i believe many improvements will be in the 3D realm and not so much 1080p. If They do decide to increase resolution by the time I am able to purchase my projector, I will still prob end up with a 1080p projector. And by then, it will be much cheaper. That's why I wanted to go ahead and make my wish list now. I will not make any purchases just yet, I just want to have my search narrowed down for when it is time to "bargain" hunt for a good deal on a used item. Im sure this will be more applicable to the AV receivers and not so much with the projectors since I will most likely buy my projector new and not used.

So, I have one recommendation on the marantz sr6005. Any other suggestions on a nice receiver that pairs well with my klipsch speakers? Trying to keep the receiver at the 1000 and under range.

Like I stated in my original post, I will be purchasing my receiver used. So whatever is "new" now will probably be what I purchase used a year from now at a bargain deal!

Thanks again everyone!
post #6 of 6 Old 01-03-2012, 01:08 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Good luck on your endeavor!

I have an Onkyo TXSR 876 AVR, set up in 7.1 configuration with the LCR and surrounds in Atlantic Tech 4400, but with the rear surrounds in the Klipsch Reference Series, and it sounds fantastic to me! I've not had issues with the Onkyo brand, and you can find them fairly reasonable.

Check out AccessoriesforLess.com, also, for decent deals.

Cheers!

Tobe H.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page