My Home Theater in the Stars.... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 43 Old 01-05-2012, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I’ve got a new Home Theater build in progress so I thought it might be a good idea to start a build thread of my own. It’s been an exciting project so far and can’t wait for the first light/sounds.

My vision for this project will be of course a home theater for personal entertainment but I also will be using this space as a gallery for my photography work. I think display of my astophotography and space shuttle launch photography will be pretty cool down there. So a Home Theater in the Stars is born….on our home planet, a pale blue dot in a vast cosmic arena….

For a little background, I have a long history of enjoying music, with my brother being a professional musician – Randy Hetlage – and I even worked in a recording studio years back after graduating from engineering school. In high school I had a dream teenager job, working for SpeakerCraft in St. Louis. I built speaker cabinets and crossovers for them and learned a lot on general speaker designs. Today I work as an executive for a healthcare IT company and on the side I do some freelance photography work – mainly astrophotography and aerospace photography. Check out my site at

http://imagingthecosmos.com

My goal for this project will be to have a budget limited - premier sound system as my use will probably be 60/40 music. My space for this project is an existing entertainment room with a pool table and old Pioneer Elite rear projection TV. I also had some old audio gear – Carver amps/pres and a pair of self-made Aria 5/10 speakers. I was happy with this system for many years but it is time for an upgrade. We are remodeling the room with a new ceiling, lighting, flooring and furniture….and new equipment of course. I will take pics as we go through the process.

For an equipment list here is what I am steeling down on…I am holding off till the last day to buy this stuff as tech changes so frequently.

Epson PowerLite Pro Cinema 6010 Projector

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/j...sku=V11H399020

I have demo’d several projectors and this one just knocked my socks off…It is bright, very nice colors and darks, and amazing 3D. We will be projecting to a 110 inch screen. I haven’t decided on a screen yet but assume it will be a 16x9 and probably a Da-Lite.

Bowers and Wilkins CM9 Main Speakers, CWM 7.3 Center, CCM 7.5 Rears

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speake.../Overview.html

I have always enjoyed listening to B&W’s and it came down to these or Dynaudios. I came to like the B&W’s more for the mids and highs over the better low end of the Dynaudios. I figured I could enhance the lows with a nice sub anyway…I also demo’s the 804D’s and did like them a tad bit better overall, probably due to the larger cabinet size and better tweeter, but to be honest I could not hear a $4500 difference. My dream speakers would be the 803D’s but those will have to wait for a dedicated sound room, and a slightly larger budget than I have for this project! Seriously the 803’s are amazing speakers. I changed my plans a bit and am now going with a built in center and an acoustically transparent screen. B&W's of course!

Rythmik F12SE Subs (Dual)

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/F12SE.html

Picking subs is a lot like trying to decide on your favorite bottle of wine…it’s is just too tough given all the options and variances that are out there. It is also nearly impossible to demo a sub because room dynamics have so much to do with the end result. I opted for the Rythmik because I was looking for an audiophile quality sub to compliment the CM9’s, not for a booming sub. From what I have read on the AVS Forums these are very good subs for this purpose…I will report back once I get them installed and calibrated. They have been ordered and are waiting delivery.

Integra DHC 80.3 Preamp
http://www.integrahometheater.com/mo...m=DHC-80.3&p=i

I haven’t totally settled on this one yet…its between this pre and the Marantz AV7005
http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pa...oductId=AV7005

I certainly like the specs on the Integra pre but I have heard great things about the Marantz as well. I doubt I could hear the difference so it will probably come down to feature/function and $’s. I am looking at Adcom amps or perhaps go with the matching Integra/Marantz amps.

Oppo BDP-93 Blue Ray 3D Player
http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-93/

Great reviews, all the features I am looking for including SACD and DVD Audio (I still have a lot of discs!)

Salamander Synergy Systems Equipment Rack

http://salamanderdesigns.com/syn/quads.jsp

SuperBrightLEDs.com RGB LED Lighting – Trey Ceiling

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...RGB.htm#photos

I was looking for a nice accent light for my new trey ceiling and LEDs were on my list. I found these lights on-line and without seeing any recommendations or reviews I ordered a few strings as well as a wireless controller….keeping my fingers crossed! I will take some pics once we get these installed…I got a feeling these will be really cool! Ultimately I plan on painting the ceiling portion of the trey with a star field to match my astro theme.

I’ve been learning Google SketchUp recently and this HT has been my first project, so far I like it! Here are a few Sketch pics of the design…we haven’t landed on colors for the walls or floor yet but given all the toys on the list my wife will probably take the lead on this. Originally she wanted a tile floor but I think I have talked her into carpeting (thank God!). All the components are downloaded images from Google so the final product will look slightly different but the layout is pretty accurate. The lighting and electrical work have been completed and tomorrow they start insulating and hanging drywall.

As you can see from the drawing there is an imbalance issue for my sound system…this is a big concern of mine but I really had no other choice in how to place my equipment. I plan on dampening the walls with panels to help compensate and I am hoping that the Audesey calibration will help….any suggestions?

Regards,
Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 01-05-2012, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hi Chris, Your project looks like a nice room for casual entertaining. You mention the 3D capabilities of the projector, are you thinking of that for TV or movies? If movies, you may want to consider a 235/240 widescreen and/or a masking system.

What are the dimensions of the theater area of the room?

Dale

~Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 43 Old 01-05-2012, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvmiller View Post

Hi Chris, Your project looks like a nice room for casual entertaining. You mention the 3D capabilities of the projector, are you thinking of that for TV or movies? If movies, you may want to consider a 235/240 widescreen and/or a masking system.

What are the dimensions of the theater area of the room?

Dale

Interesting you said that...I have been looking into other screen formats this week - I certainly want to be thinking ahead....The main viewing area of the room is approximately 12x20, with my seating about 14 feet back (eye to screen). I am not thinking 3D will be a huge part of my viewing, more for special events than anything else...I failed to mention that my son is a special effects major at SCAD and I suspect in 4 years I will be doing more critical viewing of his works, but that is probably another tech generation past where I will be today anyway. My thinking was the screen should probably outlast the projector (in terms of technology refresh) so getting the right screen today is important. One other consideration of the screen is size relative to the other system components, I know my projector can handle a larger screen however it will be tough to place my speakers too much further apart then they are in the drawing due to the wall space limitations...Thx for the feedback!

Regards,
Chris

post #4 of 43 Old 01-05-2012, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Looks like a fun space. Rear speaker placement might need a little more thought and it would help if that center speaker was out of the cabinet. Can you post a floor plan?

Spaceman Theater Build

post #5 of 43 Old 01-05-2012, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

I'll work on a floor plan Spaceman (I like the handle and am curious given your location in Houston). The rear speakers are on stands, Aria 5 mains (a Joe D'Appilito MTM design). I have also wired and framed for an in-ceiling rear surround to replace the floor stand speakers in the future, I am considering B&W CCM7.3's. I have also wired for side surrounds but have no plans at this time. Of course any suggestions on speaker placement would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Chris

post #6 of 43 Old 01-05-2012, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Here the seating we have bought for the new theater...its a Haverty's Hollywood Pro 6 piece sectional (4 seats).

Regards,
Chris

post #7 of 43 Old 01-05-2012, 12:45 PM

Liked: 11
I used the RGB lights in my build, i really like them a lot, Don't really like the remotes though, I keep losing them. Also you have to press the button a few times to get them to work if it's not directly pointing at the censer. I'm looking into using about 7 strands alltogether and maybe a non remote option. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1354094&page=2
post #8 of 43 Old 01-05-2012, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechatech View Post

I used the RGB lights in my build, i really like them a lot, Don't really like the remotes though, I keep losing them. Also you have to press the button a few times to get them to work if it's not directly pointing at the censer. I'm looking into using about 7 strands alltogether and maybe a non remote option. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1354094&page=2

Nice build! I will keep an eye on your progress. I asked them if there was a wall mounted controller and they didn't have one, poor design imo...I'll keep looking.

Regards,
Chris

post #9 of 43 Old 01-05-2012, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishet View Post

I'll work on a floor plan Spaceman (I like the handle and am curious given your location in Houston). The rear speakers are on stands, Aria 5 mains (a Joe D'Appilito MTM design). I have also wired and framed for an in-ceiling rear surround to replace the floor stand speakers in the future, I am considering B&W CCM7.3's. I have also wired for side surrounds but have no plans at this time. Of course any suggestions on speaker placement would be greatly appreciated!

No ties to the space program...just a homage to one of my favorite ball players

The rear speakers on stands just looked like they might get knocked around as you and your guests make your way to the back of the theater for a cold beverage. You'll also want to make sure they are a little higher than your listening position. As far as the center speaker, you'll be happier with the sound if it's not recessed in a cubby. On top of the cabinet would be better (not ideal, but better).

Good luck!

Spaceman Theater Build

post #10 of 43 Old 01-05-2012, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

No ties to the space program...just a homage to one of my favorite ball players

The rear speakers on stands just looked like they might get knocked around as you and your guests make your way to the back of the theater for a cold beverage. You'll also want to make sure they are a little higher than your listening position. As far as the center speaker, you'll be happier with the sound if it's not recessed in a cubby. On top of the cabinet would be better (not ideal, but better).

Good luck!

Nice! lol... I've met a few real spacemen from covering the Space Shuttle program in FL which is why I asked...

I hear ya on the speaker stands...The speaks themselves are not well represented in this sketch, they are larger and are quite sturdy. Getting them higher will be an issue, maybe I need to move forward more rapidly on the B&W rears...Thx for the suggestion, makes perfect sense.

Regards,
Chris

post #11 of 43 Old 01-05-2012, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
This looks like it will be a great room!

I'm a space fan as well (actually going to school next year to major in Aerospace Engineering) and was lucky enough to experience the launch of STS-135 from the NASA causeway. It was breathtaking. Thanks for the pictures. They really brought me back to that day. How did you get so close to the shuttle? That must have been awesome.

Also just throwing a suggestion out. Ever thought of a fiber optic star ceiling? It seems like it would look really cool in your room.

A DIY high school project (now complete and being enjoyed everyday)

post #12 of 43 Old 01-05-2012, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaustin View Post

This looks like it will be a great room!

I'm a space fan as well (actually going to school next year to major in Aerospace Engineering) and was lucky enough to experience the launch of STS-135 from the NASA causeway. It was breathtaking. Thanks for the pictures. They really brought me back to that day. How did you get so close to the shuttle? That must have been awesome.

Also just throwing a suggestion out. Ever thought of a fiber optic star ceiling? It seems like it would look really cool in your room.

Thx! I covered the final 3 shuttle launches for Sky and Telescope magazine and boy did NASA give us some access! I have 8 remote cameras setup for STS135, some as close as 100 yards from the pad....it was a great year! Good luck in school and hopefully things will pick up again soon for NASA.

I think its a bit late for a fiber optics ceiling, drywallers are coming in the morning....but I am fortunate to have one of the best sky mural artists around just up the road from me, so when the time is right I hope to have the ceiling painted up right - perhaps inspired by one of my astro photos.

Regards,
Chris

post #13 of 43 Old 01-08-2012, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:

Thx! I covered the final 3 shuttle launches for Sky and Telescope magazine and boy did NASA give us some access! I have 8 remote cameras setup for STS135, some as close as 100 yards from the pad....it was a great year! Good luck in school and hopefully things will pick up again soon for NASA.

I think its a bit late for a fiber optics ceiling, drywallers are coming in the morning....but I am fortunate to have one of the best sky mural artists around just up the road from me, so when the time is right I hope to have the ceiling painted up right - perhaps inspired by one of my astro photos.

Ah I see. That mural will be really cool though. I'm excited to see how all of this comes together. Keep posting pics when you get the chance.

A DIY high school project (now complete and being enjoyed everyday)

post #14 of 43 Old 01-08-2012, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

The rear speakers on stands just looked like they might get knocked around as you and your guests make your way to the back of the theater for a cold beverage. You'll also want to make sure they are a little higher than your listening position.

+1. I'd be afraid of them getting knocked around, someone tripping on the wire, or them otherwise being in the way. What about a pole-mount from the ceiling for each of them - I don't think that would be any more aesthetically intrusive than the stands. And the speakers would be safely out of the way of people and pool cues.

Jeff

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #15 of 43 Old 01-08-2012, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

I'm ultimately going to install the B&W CCM7.4's in the ceiling (I have already framed for them)...the Aria 5's on stands are only for a short time....

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speake...es/CCM7.4.html

Here is a quick WIP vid of my space...not a huge project but I'm enjoying the build...

Regards,
Chris

post #16 of 43 Old 01-08-2012, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

OT Pic....taken this morning from my observatory here in GA...our sun has been putting on quite a show recently....my wife thought this might make a nice cover for an acoustic panel...interesting idea...

Regards,
Chris

post #17 of 43 Old 01-10-2012, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Hi all...sorry for the dup post (I submitted a similar post on the Screen thread)....I am looking for a screen recommendation as I may be switching my center channel approach from a CMC2 center to a behind-screen CMW7.3 and would appreciate any thoughts.

I am going with an Epson 6010 projector. My projector will be about 14ft back, and seating will also be about 14ft back. I am considering a 110 inch screen - I could go larger but it creates some issues with my speaker placement so 110 is optimal for me. I want to enjoy 3D but mostly 2D, my lighting is controllable but I want some viewing to be with ambient lighting on for sporting events and casual events. AVS has recommended a Da-Lite CinemaVision 1.3 gain screen for my use, but now I am considering an AT screen.

I have a budget of about $1500 for a screen and frame...Thx in advance for any thoughts and recommendations.

Regards,
Chris

post #18 of 43 Old 01-10-2012, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Check out Seymour A/V for AT screens - they also sell the material by itself for DIY applications, where you build/provide the frame. I built mine (see link in my sig) using DIY Seymour material and a Jamestown frame, all in $600.

|
|
|
|
| Xbox Live: Atomic Hamper
post #19 of 43 Old 01-10-2012, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

Check out Seymour A/V for AT screens - they also sell the material by itself for DIY applications, where you build/provide the frame. I built mine (see link in my sig) using DIY Seymour material and a Jamestown frame, all in $600.

I've read your thread...very interesting and a possibility! I'll look into the Seymour screens.

Regards,
Chris

post #20 of 43 Old 01-12-2012, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Update: I made a slight change to my audio setup. I made the decision to move forward with the B&W CCM 7.5 rears and the CWM 7.3 Center....order them today. I also ordered the projector and screen, I went with a 115 inch Seymour Centerstage XD on a Jamestown Frame - Jamestown now carries the XD materiel so he can take care of everything.

Regards,
Chris

post #21 of 43 Old 01-13-2012, 06:35 AM

Great pic of the sun!...and I went the same route as Brad on the AT screen and would certainly do it again.
post #22 of 43 Old 01-13-2012, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyZipperbaum View Post

Great pic of the sun!...and I went the same route as Brad on the AT screen and would certainly do it again.

Thx...and great feedback on the screen...I feel good about this one!

Regards,
Chris

post #23 of 43 Old 01-13-2012, 09:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
I'm an H-Apha solar observer, can you detail the setup that took that pic of the sun? Me thinks you H-Alpha setup is more expensive than mine.
post #24 of 43 Old 01-13-2012, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER View Post

I'm an H-Apha solar observer, can you detail the setup that took that pic of the sun? Me thinks you H-Alpha setup is more expensive than mine.

Here is a pic of my scope...its a Lunt LS80THa (80mm). I use a DMK41 camera to capture images and Registax and Photoshop to process them. The scope sits on a Losmandy GM8 mount and the tripod is a Berlebach....I really like the views I get, and the images are amazing....Btw, I am spending quite a bit more on my new HT than this scope costs! but still they aren't cheap! My wife thinks I have a lot of issues...she's right...lol

Regards,
Chris

post #25 of 43 Old 01-13-2012, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:

Update: I made a slight change to my audio setup. I made the decision to move forward with the B&W CCM 7.5 rears and the CWM 7.3 Center....order them today. I also ordered the projector and screen, I went with a 115 inch Seymour Centerstage XD on a Jamestown Frame - Jamestown now carries the XD materiel so he can take care of everything.

Just noticed your thread and I also went with the Seymour screen from Jamestown. Mine will be here Monday. Have carpet coming Tuesday and hope to be up and watching movies this time next week.

Will be watching your build, this looks like a fun one.
post #26 of 43 Old 01-13-2012, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Just noticed your thread and I also went with the Seymour screen from Jamestown. Mine will be here Monday. Have carpet coming Tuesday and hope to be up and watching movies this time next week.

Will be watching your build, this looks like a fun one.

I'm jealous! I ordered my screen, speakers, and projector yesterday but it will be a few more weeks before we get the construction finished...and I still need to land on a pre/amp. Let me know how you like the screen.

Regards,
Chris

post #27 of 43 Old 01-13-2012, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Hi Chris,

I live in the suburbs NE of Atlanta. Can you PM me or post information about the sky mural artist you referenced earlier?

Thanks,
Gerry
post #28 of 43 Old 01-13-2012, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry S View Post

Hi Chris,

I live in the suburbs NE of Atlanta. Can you PM me or post information about the sky mural artist you referenced earlier?

Thanks,
Gerry

Sure neighbor....the artists name is Lee Bivens - you can see some of his work at Atlanta Home Theater in Roswell...they are very cool.

http://www.artlee.com/nightsky/

Regards,
Chris

post #29 of 43 Old 01-14-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:

OT Pic....taken this morning from my observatory here in GA...our sun has been putting on quite a show recently....my wife thought this might make a nice cover for an acoustic panel...interesting idea...

um what is that a picture of? Forgive my ignorance but that large ball of orange / yellow is odd and I can't figure out what it is. It looks awfully cool!

Thanks,

Neil
post #30 of 43 Old 01-14-2012, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by heffneil View Post

um what is that a picture of? Forgive my ignorance but that large ball of orange / yellow is odd and I can't figure out what it is. It looks awfully cool!

Thanks,

Neil

Thx Neil...this is a close up image of the NE corner of the nearest star to our planet, taken from my telescope observatory here in GA...

Regards,
Chris

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page