Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 207 Old 12-03-2012, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post

I love the little can lights in the stained wood soffit. Classy.
Calibration by Accucal? Audio? Video? Both?
If memory serves a couple years ago this company put out a very helpful comparison article on many of the common screen materials.
I still pull it up from time to time.
Looking forward to seeing how it all turns out. Hopefully you will be able to get some good quality completion shots. I don't think the camera is doing the lovely royal blue or wood stain color you have chosen any favors.

Thanks for the compliment! Yes, Accucal is going to do audio and video calibration both. Jeff is coming over this Wednesday evening. Everything is up and running now finally, The low-voltage installers came in the day before Thanksgiving and were here till 1 am! We had a near disaster trying to get the Prismasonic lens into the projector box - the optics had come unglued from the housing during shipping and while lifting up, the edges ground against the housing and chipped. We heard the crack and my heart stopped. Fortunately, Anssi from Prismasonic came through and immediately shipped me a replacement which arrived on Friday. Got it set up and it looks amazing.

Had a building inspection on Friday, and I have to say that the inspector is a real jerk. He insisted that the contractor put fireblocking in the basement in areas that had nothing to do with the current construction. It's the same guy who inspected the house when it was being built two years ago! Guess he just needs to justify his job. He was a real problem during house construction - kept making us change our drainage plan and outright lied about code (which I called him on and forced him to back down); that cost me thousands and thousands of dollars. He's supposed to come back tomorrow to give final approval. I'm going to stay away lest I say something snarky about who pays his salary.

As for pics, alas, a photographer I am decidedly not!!! eek.gif I will take some more tonight and see if I can get better ones. Still have some work to do on the door, and frames around the acoustic panels have not been built yet, but hopefully within the week it'll be done done. Right now I'm spending most of my free time building my iRule interface - whew that is painstaking!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 207 Old 12-03-2012, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Since we're headed in that direction in this thread, here are two stories of opposite inspections within the same county (as far as I know differeint inspectors...it's big county!)

Story 1) It's really BritInVa's story. He was getting a rough-in plumbing inspection and the inspector told him to run a pipe a certain way. So he did. When he got the final, the inspector told him the pipe was wrong and he was going to have to fix it. After a bit of arguing, it turned out that it was THE SAME INSPECTOR.

Story 2) MY inspectors (same county; different part of the county) have been really good. Every one of them had very positive things to say and they only cited issues that I didn't realize were against code. Like, the fixed pane of a sliding door is considered wall space, so the every 8' outlet spacing has to be from the fixed pane, not the edge of the door. It meant I had to move one and add another on that part of the wall. And you can't use a rubber "Y" to tap into the main drain line. I had to replace it with PVC. The fireblocking inspection took about 60 seconds and the guy said, "I wish they were all this easy." One of the inspectors even gave me his direct line for scheduling the re-inspection so that he would come to my house first and I wouldn't have to miss a day of work.

I guess it just deplends on what kind of day your inspector is having. The one thing I noticed is that if most of the work is done right and there are only minor issues, they take the attitude that it IS mostly right and only ctie the real problems. If they see a LOT of bad stuff right off the bat, they are going to take a much closer look and start citing EVERYTHING.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #183 of 207 Old 12-04-2012, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Well, he must have been having a good day because everything passed and now we can concentrate on tying up loose ends. The best part is that Mike and Kubby (contractors) hauled off six months' worth of trash and debris out of the basement and vacuumed - our long national nightmare of dust is finally over!! We have put a construction moratorium in or around our house till 2015. Here's a few pics..still have to build frames to go around the fabric panels. The color match isn't perfect, but I think the frames stained in the same color as the rest of the trim will break it up enough so that it won't be noticed. Still need to hook up the HVAC return to the inline fan, and hook up a relay switch to a Nest thermostat for the basement damper zone. Soundproofing is pretty good - with nothing on in the theater, I can still hear the TV upstairs coming down the stairs and through the door. So we're going to try to beef up the weatherstripping around the door, which is two layers of MDF with a 1 3/4 exterior slab sandwiched between. With a movie playing, however, can't hear a thing. I guess I can always put in a second door in the hallway if it really bothers me. I won't let other household members know about that idea.....

post #184 of 207 Old 12-04-2012, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Feels good doesn't it now the mess is cleaned up. The theater is looking really great, clean lines and a welcoming place to be. Have you considered a drop down seal for the door bottom to improve sound isolation? It made a big difference to my door.

My "Old Vic" Theater Build
My 8 year old daughter: "are contractors the people that mess up your house for money?"
post #185 of 207 Old 12-04-2012, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggie View Post

Feels good doesn't it now the mess is cleaned up. The theater is looking really great, clean lines and a welcoming place to be. Have you considered a drop down seal for the door bottom to improve sound isolation? It made a big difference to my door.

It feels great!!! I've got an automatic door bottom fully mortised in the door. Definitely makes a difference, guess I'm looking for perfection rolleyes.gif
post #186 of 207 Old 12-04-2012, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
I guess you will need that second door then ;-)

My "Old Vic" Theater Build
My 8 year old daughter: "are contractors the people that mess up your house for money?"
post #187 of 207 Old 12-05-2012, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs691919 View Post

in this PIC your walls seem grey were they seem more of a blue in earlyer pictures?
post #188 of 207 Old 12-05-2012, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw5billwade View Post

in this PIC your walls seem grey were they seem more of a blue in earlyer pictures?

This pic is truer to the actual color. In the earlier pics, I had the flash on and it was a way lighter blue than in actuality. The paint color is Benjamin Moore Stunning. It's a fairly deep navy blue with tinges of grey in it. The GOM is FR701 Blue Plum.
post #189 of 207 Old 12-05-2012, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 93
it looks like the ceiling is the same color. I may steal your colors LOL
post #190 of 207 Old 12-05-2012, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Steal away! Yes, the ceiling is the same color. The stain is much, much less orange than it appears in the pictures. Can't remember off the top of my head what color we used but I'll check later. In the process of calibrating with Accucal right now - picture looks great and working on audio.
post #191 of 207 Old 12-15-2012, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

So, last item on the agenda is to figure out how to set up a relay between the Fantech and the Nest thermostat. The basement zone is on a damper system with the main floor's furnace (located in basement). There are separate thermostats for the main floor and the basement. I am going to use a Nest thermostat. I know that I need a common wire to power the Nest with the Honeywell zone panel which is attached to the furnace. Right now, the Fantech is wired so that it turns on whenever the furnace turns on. Thus, it will turn on if the main floor thermostat clicks on or if the downstairs thermostat clicks on. I would like it to trigger ONLY when the downstairs thermostat clicks on -- how do I set this up?

Also, at present the Fantech is LOUD. I think the speed is set too high. It is the FG6XL model, which I believe is speed controllable -- can I just hook up a variable speed fan controller up to it to slow it down and still be able to wire the relay as above?
post #192 of 207 Old 01-27-2013, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Finally had some time this weekend so took some pics of the completed room. All finished except for some touch up painting and the fan return (see above post). However, the room is quite comfortable temperature wise most of the time even without the return working yet -- probably because someone is getting up and opening the door every 30 minutes or so allowing the warm air to leave the room.

Hallway leading up to the room. Rack is on the left, theater entrance on the right, door to the unfinished basement straight ahead.

Theater entrance:

Rack across from entrance, with door closed:

Rack door open: need to get blanks and a drawer to fill the bottom space.

Rear of rack:

Room pictures:

iRule pictures:

post #193 of 207 Old 01-27-2013, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 32
This room is absolutely beautiful, the equipment is high quality, and I really like the no-stage look in a home theater. It's a very clean simplistic look. You should be very proud.
post #194 of 207 Old 01-27-2013, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Thanks for sharing your iRule panels. I'm going to be using iRule as well. How long did it take you to get the panels the way you have them? Did you make the buttons on the left or did you download them from somewhere?
post #195 of 207 Old 01-27-2013, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVoth View Post

This room is absolutely beautiful, the equipment is high quality, and I really like the no-stage look in a home theater. It's a very clean simplistic look. You should be very proud.

I agree, I like the screen floating on the wall like that. Looks great!
post #196 of 207 Old 01-27-2013, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tim View Post

I agree, I like the screen floating on the wall like that. Looks great!

Thanks guys! No stage was mainly done because I didn't want something jutting out close to where the entrance was -- takes away a potential trip hazard. But I do like the clean look too. And it provides a little more floor space -- my son has already camped out there one night!
post #197 of 207 Old 01-27-2013, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanice View Post

Thanks for sharing your iRule panels. I'm going to be using iRule as well. How long did it take you to get the panels the way you have them? Did you make the buttons on the left or did you download them from somewhere?

I made most of the buttons on the left in Photoshop. That part actually didn't take too long, and I'm by no means a Photoshop expert. You can download blank buttons on the iRule sight and import them into Photoshop for editing. They must be saved a .png file in order to import into iRule. The background was downloaded off of the users' section in the iRule builder. The graphical aspect of the interface is pretty easy. The hard part is figuring out conceptually how to place buttons and panels and links and what macros are needed. Timing of macros and entrances do take some forethought but there is also a lot of trial and error. Mine is still a work in progress although at the moment I'm pretty happy with its functionality. Since I'm not a DIY'er when it comes to the construction, this is my way of being able to continue tinkering. The iRule thread here on AVS is really helpful too -- there are guys there who can figure out seemingly anything!

Once I've got the HVAC stuff figured out, I'm gonna turn my attention to decorating the rest of the basement and the hallway leading up to the theater room.
post #198 of 207 Old 06-01-2013, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I saw that you had a Grafik Eye QS and you're using Irule to control it. How are you doing that? Do you have an Irule IR sensor over your Grafik Eye IR sensor or is it RS-232? Thinking of using Irule for my build but I wanted to get some ideas on how to control lighting with that program.
post #199 of 207 Old 06-01-2013, 07:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 649
I like the color scheme with the wood smile.gif

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #200 of 207 Old 06-04-2013, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I saw that you had a Grafik Eye QS and you're using Irule to control it. How are you doing that? Do you have an Irule IR sensor over your Grafik Eye IR sensor or is it RS-232? Thinking of using Irule for my build but I wanted to get some ideas on how to control lighting with that program.

Hey JVoth! The QS has an IR input, so we wired a CAT 6 from there directly into a GC-100 IR port. iRule has the appropriate codes in the builder, and they work perfectly. You have to program your different scenes at the QS unit itself (scenes 1-16), and then the iRule buttons will correspond. When I'm home tonight, I'll post a picture of my lighting control page on iRule.
post #201 of 207 Old 06-04-2013, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I like the color scheme with the wood smile.gif

Thanks, six months after completion I'm still enjoying it! Though I still don't have the HVAC/return relay set up. It hasn't really affected the temperature in the theater, as most of the time I'm in and out of the room every hour or so which helps equilibrate the temp. Basement temps in St. Louis tend not to change very much as it is, and even with the projector going it doesn't get uncomfortably warm. The soundproofing - well, I'm a bit disappointed. Not as good as I wanted it to be, but I think it's because the door is still the weak spot, and noise comes down the main stairwell to the basement. But the most important thing is that when I'm watching movies or TV with the sound turned up, I can't hear anything.
post #202 of 207 Old 06-04-2013, 01:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 649
I might steal your color scheme I like it so much. biggrin.gif

I am debating a blue or navy or possible a little to the dark blue/purple side with wood stained like yours or perhaps cherry... Decisions Decisions...

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #203 of 207 Old 06-06-2013, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I might steal your color scheme I like it so much. biggrin.gif

I am debating a blue or navy or possible a little to the dark blue/purple side with wood stained like yours or perhaps cherry... Decisions Decisions...

So many decisions...I found color scheme was the easiest!
post #204 of 207 Old 11-11-2013, 01:36 PM

Liked: 10
Nice build. You may not be reading this since nobody responded to this thread since June of this year but I just have a few questions since I went through every single post on this thread (yest, post, not pages).

1. How do you like the screen size? Would you have gone smaller or bigger if you could?

2. What Seating is that? Can you provide the link?

3. Family Reaction To the Theater: How does your wife and son like it? How often do they want to use it?

4. Can you provide a list of all components and projector?

5. Where are you subwoofers located?
post #205 of 207 Old 11-12-2013, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donjuanwater View Post

Nice build. You may not be reading this since nobody responded to this thread since June of this year but I just have a few questions since I went through every single post on this thread (yest, post, not pages).

Thanks so much! No, I haven't been on the forum much in the last six months because work and life have kept me super busy.

Quote:
1. How do you like the screen size? Would you have gone smaller or bigger if you could?

I think the screen size is perfect for the size of the room. I sit exclusively in the back row, but I've had multiple people over and they've had no complaints about sitting in the front row, even with 2.35 material.
Quote:
2. What Seating is that? Can you provide the link?

It is Seatcraft Rialto seating. It's not high end; made in China, but so far no problems with it. It's comfortable, and I've spent entire days in there watching sports without any problems. Only complaint is that the cupholders are a little shallow - a glass of wine or a pint glass can be easily knocked out by an errant hand (and this has happened several times!).
Quote:
3. Family Reaction To the Theater: How does your wife and son like it? How often do they want to use it?

We all love it. My wife does not use it as much. But my son and I are in there virtually every day, either playing xbox or watching sports. Sundays are particularly bad this year, as I wake up at 7 am, start watching English soccer games, and then watch American football all afternoon. We are unfortunately not watching as many movies as I'd like to, mainly because my work has been so exhausting recently that I go to sleep too early to get an entire a movie in. And then of course Sundays are taken over by sports! But with winter approaching, I think that will change. We do watch television shows down there too, and it is quite spectacular.

Quote:
4. Can you provide a list of all components and projector?

Projector: JVC RS-45
Blu-ray: Oppo BDP-93
Screen: Screen Excellence TAM2 constant height with motorized masking
Front Speakers: Klipsch KL-650 (3)
Rear Speakers: Klipsch KS-7800 in-wall (4)
Subs: SV Sound Legato (2) - came with STA 800 Sledge amplifier
AV controller: Marantz AV7005
Power amp: Outlaw 7700
Anamorphic lens: Prismasonic HD6000-R
Power conditioner: APC H10
Rack: Middle Atlantic ERK4025
Satellite: DirecTV HR-24
Control: iRule
Quote:
5. Where are you subwoofers located?

The two large cylinder subs are behind the screen, in between the speakers. They just sit on the floor.
post #206 of 207 Old 03-25-2014, 10:20 AM

Liked: 10
Fantastic build! Forgive me if you posted this, but, what was the final size screen you went with, and what was the distance from screen to eye in front row? Also, distance from floor to bottom of screen? I'm stuck on this decision on my build right now.
post #207 of 207 Old 03-25-2014, 11:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Great looking room. Question. What dimensions are the side columns (particularly the depth?) And do you have any photos of your speakers in the columns?

J
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page