Building my new HT room: JVC DLA-RS55 and Stewart Filmscreen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-06-2012, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi guys,

I'm buying a new house and in the basement, I will have a dedicated home theater room with perfect light control (no windows in the room).

The room will be 11'6" W x 17' deep (ceiling height is 7'6").

I would like to have a front projection setup.

The room will be a flat black color. In order to help acoustics a little, the room will also have carpet flooring, dual layers of sheet rock, sound deadening insulation in walls and ceilings, a heavy full wood door.

I was thinking of getting a JVC DLA-RS55 projector (Pro series equivalent to the DLA-X70) with a Stewart Filmscreen Luxus Deluxe Screenwall StudioTek 130 G3 fixed screen (100" diagnoal, 16:9 format).

I have been reading a lot on projector placement, and I wanted to know your opinion on this model. I went on Projector Central's website and used their calculator to figure the best possible placement for my projector.

I will be wall-mounting it.

It has a projection throw ratio of 1.40-2.80.

I was told that the further back the projector is, the less zoom you use hence a sharper picture with no distortion. If I mount the projector too close to the screen, I'll be using too much zoom, and that's not a good thing apparently.

My seats have to be positioned exactly at 10 feet from the screen, due to rear speaker placement.

If I leave 1' of clearance in back of the projector, this means that the lens would be at a throw distance of 14'3" from the screen, using a 1.43x zoom factor. Is this good??

Or should I leave even less space behind the projector (say 6 inches instead of 1 foot) and reduce the zoom a bit more?

I've included a picture so you see a brief outline of what the room will look like...

Projector size: 7.1" x 17.9" x 18.6" (H x W x D)

Screen size: 49" H x 87" W
Screen size with frame: 55.5" H x 93.5" W
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-06-2012, 04:35 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Check your math and definitions. You projector has a Zoom of 2.8/1.4 or 2.0 that doesn't change no matter where you put the projector.

a projector lens that is 171 inches from a 95.5 inch wide screen is at a throw ratio of 1.79

you will be fine, you need to be between 1.4 and 2.8. In this case the closer you get to 1.4 the more of the lens you need to use to make the image wide enough, conventional wisdom is to avoid being really close to 1.4. Without any hands on experience with your projector I would be concerned at less than 1.6.

Get your projector and screen and put the projector on a stand at various distances, I will bet you can't tell a difference that those 6 inches make in image quality. If you want you could put it in the next room and shine it through a hole in the wall.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-06-2012, 04:56 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Now tell us about the room, that is more important than a projector and a screen.
post #4 of 10 Old 01-06-2012, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangevee View Post

I was told that the further back the projector is, the less zoom you use hence a sharper picture with no distortion. If I mount the projector too close to the screen, I'll be using too much zoom, and that's not a good thing apparently.

I mounted my projector (RS-20) as close as possible to maximize output on a big screen (136" wide) and using zoom method - I haven't noticed any untoward effect. The usual thinking is mount close = more light, less contrast; mount further back, less light, more contrast. If you're planning on using an anamorphic lens (doesn't sound like), further back is also recommended. In your case, since your screen isn't very large, I would mount further back, but no need to go all the way to the extreme, can give your projector more room behind for air circulation.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-06-2012, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter

Is this site's advice a good starting point for proper setup of a front projection home theater?

http://www.theprojectorpros.com/lear...setting_up.htm
post #6 of 10 Old 01-07-2012, 04:34 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

I didn't read all of it yet but I notice it mentions nothing about soundproofing the room or installing acoustical treatments. It also does not mention the use of an acoustically transparent screen (SMX or SeymourAV) which would allow you to put the center channel directly behind the screen.

It has nothing on Lighting , HVAC requirements or door construction features. In other words it is an article on hanging projectors, not on preparing a theater room.

The seating distance calculations are old school, do not mention 1080P and are far from ideal with the projector and screen size you are contemplating.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-07-2012, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
As Big said, concentrate on the room first. You mention sound isolation, but not fully. You also don't make any allowances for room treatments/absorption. The PJ you chose is a great one, but 3D is not its strong suit. You can always change your screen and PJ, but your room is really a one time thing.

Current HT: HTPC-->Epson 5010 projector-->135" screen, BFM TLAHs x7 & THT
Build log: DIY rotary sub for contemporary HT in 100 year old house?
Andreas' Slow Rotary Sub build
post #8 of 10 Old 01-07-2012, 07:03 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Another strategy on buying your first projector and screen. Many times a bad decision is made based on little experience. Buy the projector first and shine it on the wall, experiment with different size images until you get the immersing theater feeling. Then but the screen.

If you are planning on watching a lot of letter-boxed movies (2.35:1 format) a 100 inch diagonal screen is too small.

If this room is for 16:9 viewing it is fine.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-07-2012, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Yes this room is for 16:9 viewing (I don't mind the black bars on 2.35:1 or 2.40:1 movies on a 16:9 screen, already used to that on my Panasonic VT25 65 inch plasma).

I'm already way over budget for that room. I initially wanted to spend 6,000$ for the projector and screen combo, thinking of a JVC DLA-X30 or Epson Pro Cinema 6010 with a decent screen.

All that went through the door with my choice of the JVC DLA-RS55 (X70) and the 100" Stewart Filmscreen StudioTek 130 G3 fixed screen...

Plus take into account all the money I spent in the last two years collecting all the rest of the equipment: Sonus Faber Toy 7.1 speakers, SVS PB13-Ultra subwoofer, Onkyo TX-NR3008 receiver, Panasonic DMP-BDT350 blu-ray player, Panasonic TC-P65VT25 65 inch plasma, Mac Mini HTPC (2011 model), etc.

And now, I spent a good part on room treatment for the new home theater room in the new house (which will be delivered to me in May).
- carpet flooring
- dual layer of sheet rock (QuietRock)
- sound deadening insulation in all walls and ceilings
- full wooden door made for home theater

The home theater itself will be painted in a flat black or dark grey color, to maximize perceived picture contrast and also minimize reflections on the walls.

I will have perfect light control in that room, as I've asked that no windows be installed.

I have no choice but to have the seats at 10 feet from the screen, because of speaker placement and room configuration beyond 11 feet. So the maximum size at that distance was 92 to 100 inches. So I went for the biggest possible.

I also have to take in account the mounting location of the projector on the ceiling. Using the calculator on Projector Central.com, I have to place the projector's lens at 14'3" (I can't put the projector further back because my room is only 17' deep and I have to take in account 1 foot air circulation behind projector plus the size of the projector itself). That gives me a 1.43x zoom which is still in the better part of the lens. Because apparently, it's not optimal to use too much zoom (i.e. if my projector was mounted at 10 or 11 feet from screen, which would generate a zoom too close to 2.0x).

So far, for a dedicated home theater room, I tried to do my best, given my budget, and I think I even went further than expected, given that I'm a newbie at this...

I like people's advice and I'll try to make most out of your comments.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-12-2012, 05:14 PM

Liked: 10
Hello,

I have had a crush on Sonus Faber for a while now and need some help. A while back, I demoed the Sonus Faber Toy monitors when I was looking for a bookshelf speaker. I went with B&W 685s and have never stopped thinking about the Sonus Fabers. I feel that I may have made a mistake. It was clear me that they are better speakers, but I wasn't sure how they'd hold up in home theater or with heavier music, as they have smaller drivers. I was wondering if anyone with experience could share with me how they think the Sonus Faber Toy towers (I no longer need bookshelf speakers) would hold up with faster and heavy music/home theater/video game needs. Primary use is for music such as bluegrass and folk music. Any words of advice? Can anyone convince me to highly consider another more involved audition?

Thanks a ton!
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page