Jautor's Rock Creek Theater - A post-build retrospective - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 319 Old 06-24-2013, 07:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
great read - looks like a lot of great ideas and know how went in to this - while mine will not be as elaborate i appriciate the thought and design and money that went into the theater - and great backyard!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 319 Old 07-01-2013, 07:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

What I Would Do Different...

Now it's 14 months after the Grand Opening, certainly enough time and usage to see what could have been done better. I've talked a lot through the thread about lessons learned, so some of this summary is repeated information. There's only a few of these that I'll actually do anything about - and probably not any time soon. Certainly not anything that would "take the room apart".

Assuming you've been reading this thread from the start, you'll remember that this project was really in two phases - building the house, and then building the theater. So "What I'd do different" depends on how far back I get to go...

If I was building the house over from scratch:

(speaking only about the unfinished future theater space)

The room would be slightly larger. Seating four across in recliners just barely fits in the 16'-wide room. The "loveseat" configuration saved me a few inches, and the aisles are only 18" wide. Add ~6" on each aisle and one more recliner armrest, and I get to 17-17.5' wide. Add a foot of depth for the middle riser, another foot or perhaps two to accommodate an AT screen arrangement in the front, and I get to 24' deep.

The risers would have been built after the room. I've mentioned this before - while it may have saved me a few dollars, having "structural" risers effectively makes this a truly "dedicated theater". I should have had temporary steps down into the 10'-high room, and constructed both riser levels as part of the theater build. That would have made it possible for future owners to convert the room to some other "hobby". That said, no one in their right mind would buy this house if they intended to destroy the theater, regardless of the riser construction...

The rack niche would be deeper. The niche I had planned for the rack and a small bar/cabinet should have been deeper (~30" would have been great instead of the ~23" I have). Using the longer AX-S service track (48" vs. 25") would have made installation and service easier. Also, when taking the cost of the service track and stand into account, the AX-SXR rotating rack isn't much more expensive. Given the rack placement near the corner of the room, the rotating rack would have been a good choice.

I would use the Erskine Group's AVSforum Theater Layout service. 'nuff said. Although if I was starting truly over, paying for a full design service (not just the 'layout') may have also been justified.

If I was starting the theater build over from scratch:

Assuming the house was built, so the room dimensions and entry location are already fixed in place. This is probably the more useful list...

The columns would have been built inside the room. As I've said many times, this was my biggest mistake of the build. Putting the speakers through the 'aquarium' means you can really hear them outside of the room when the surround channels are active. And yes, all those wiring penetrations don't help, either. That said, this still isn't an issue for me because of the theater's location in the house.

Maybe used an Acoustically Transparent Screen and Masking. Still can't see spending 2-3x the projector cost on a screen + masking system (only AT ones I know of are much more than the non-AT Carada Masquerade). Now, I probably could have used less-expensive speakers and put that money into the screen. And I've learned that the AT screen and false wall assembly has some benefits beyond speaker placement and aesthetics. Getting the speakers further away from the front row would have given a more uniform distance to each listener. I do worry about having the sound up too loud "for the front row".

Maybe used clips and channel. In the end I was surprised that the acoustic/isolation bill was under 10% of the total project cost. Doing the walls with clips and channel wouldn't have broken the bank. But I don't know how I'd do the ceiling, or more importantly, I don't know if I could have explained it properly to the contractors so *they* could make it work... (obviously this would entail building the cofferred ceiling inside the room)

Been more diligent about HVAC vent selection. The HVAC guys properly placed 4 vents and a return, but I do hear air movement (rushing) coming from the rear vents. Using the diffuser bars on the vertical portions of the trays would have been better, for both sound and aesthetics.

Built the bar table with only three posts instead of four. Dang thing is built like a tank. I'm sure one less post would have been fine, and one less post to avoid with your knees and legs.

Added more lighting and control zones. There not enough light in the room to read comfortably. I should have placed can lights above the seating just for this purpose. I will eventually pull the step lights off the GrafikEye onto a separate switch controlled by RadioRA2. That will free up a zone for the entry hall/bookcase to be on a separate zone from the rear can lights.

Used a better, more soundproof door. The solid-core (but paneled) door I have matches the rest of the house. The raised panels, though, are clearly the weak spot for sound transmission out of the theater. I'll probably try some experiments with acoustic panels partially covering the inside (panels on back) of the door to see if that makes any difference, and if so, get some made to match the room.

Considered fabric seats instead of leather. I do find my fabric couch (not in the theater) more comfy than the leather seats. Personal preference. I steered away from fabric because of concerns about wear and tear, and spilled beverages. Probably still the right call, but don't automatically default to leather as the only solution.

Used a carpet pattern with at least two colors. I still like the carpet I chose, but having something with a visible pattern would absolutely help hide those little crumbs of popcorn that I seem to always miss. I suppose that's a double-edged sword - miss too much popcorn bits and the room will start to feel like the dollar theater at mall!!!

Whew... Ok, that's all I can think of for now. I'll probably end up with another batch of stuff down the line. The only thing left to truly finish is the iRule screen layouts (will it really ever be done?), which are still the same rough batch I did initially, and certainly aren't usable by anyone else at this point.

Thanks for taking the time to make such a high quality post ^

Anything new you might add to the list ?

You theater looks awesome !
ellisr63 likes this.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #273 of 319 Old 07-02-2013, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Thanks for taking the time to make such a high quality post ^

Anything new you might add to the list ?

You theater looks awesome !

Thanks!

Looking back and reading that again, I think I hit the list pretty well. The three additional things I'd add (I think I talked about the second one in the thread somewhere):

If I was building the house over from scratch:

The rack would be accessible from the rear. Re-arranging the game room and moving the game room's closet behind the theater would have allowed that. I would have then located the house wiring closet there as well. I've had to pull the rack out more times than I'd like to deal with some finicky Global Cache hardware - it's a 10-15 minute job just to get the rack pulled. The AXS rack works great for the application - but if I had to do it over again, I'd have designed the house to avoid the need.

If I was starting the theater build over from scratch:

There would have been "reading" lights above at least the primary seating area. Even with the lights on "full", it's not bright enough in the room to read a newspaper, magazine or instruction manual. One additional lighting zone of 3" cans placed in the ceiling areas between the trays would have done the trick.

The Media Storage shelf would be bigger. Yeah, my Blu-Ray collection has already filled up that niche! A lot faster than I expected. I've had to move the Television and Animation discs down to the family room to keep all the "movies" together... There isn't a lot more space to play with there, but I could have squeezed in a bit more shelf space. Advice here is take a look at your existing collection size, and look at your rate of growth to figure out how long before it's full. In my case, the number of DVD's I've replaced with BD's in the last two years is much higher than I expected - when the "upgrade" cost approaches $5 I figure why not!

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #274 of 319 Old 07-25-2013, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Great detail and communication sharing regarding this build. biggrin.gif:D:D:)

Just a few questions:

1. Did you see any AT Screens setup to show at CEDIA?

2. How did the Fabric Panels get attached to the walls?

3. Where did you buy those sconces from?

4. Did that "scarecrow/water spray" bird deterrent device work on getting rid of the birds?

5. What model/color carpet is that?

6. What is the order (from top to bottom) of your components on the Rack?

7. Why didn't you save the money and invest in a projector that had "memory programmed zoom capability" (for changing the CIH/Constant Image Height from 2.35 to 16:9 rather than invest in a Anamorphic Lense)?
post #275 of 319 Old 07-25-2013, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donjuanwater View Post

Great detail and communication sharing regarding this build. biggrin.gif:D:D:)

Just a few questions:

1. Did you see any AT Screens setup to show at CEDIA?

I'm sure the material and screens are all over the place as the dealer-channel screen vendors are all there, but they may not necessarily be set up in "working" AT demos. I do recall seeing a theater-based demo or two for speakers or other items that were set up in an AT configuration.
Quote:
2. How did the Fabric Panels get attached to the walls?

There's a number of ways to do it - I chose to use the "Z clips" (aka a metal French cleat) method so I could take them off the walls without significant damage (especially since I knew I was going to make mistakes and have to re-do the spacing, which came true...)
Quote:
3. Where did you buy those sconces from?

They're Kichler fixtures. I got most of mine from a local lighting store - this particular model was not one they stocked, so I bought it through an Amazon seller (for essentially the same price - so it wasn't for cost-savings).
Quote:
4. Did that "scarecrow/water spray" bird deterrent device work on getting rid of the birds?

I never saw it "go off" (but I know it would have), but the Heron(s) have not been back. It was probably the combination of the Scarecrow and the netting I put on. I've been watching for them this week as I just cleaned out the excess water plant growth (which means the fish are more exposed), and I also broke down and bought a few small koi...

(fingers crossed!)
Quote:
5. What model/color carpet is that?

EDIT: Thanks for the reminder that I needed to find this. Called the builder and got the details:

Shaw Tuftex "Park Place" (style ZA972) in color "Pecan Pie" (03776)
Quote:
6. What is the order (from top to bottom) of your components on the Rack?

From back a few pages:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1385501/jautors-rock-creek-theater-a-post-build-retrospective/210#post_22545671
  • 1U Middle Atlantic LED Strip
  • 2U Blank Panel
  • 5U Integra DHC40.2 Pre-pro
  • 2U Blank Reserve for DirecTV
  • 2U Oppo Digital BP93
  • 2U Blank Panel
  • 2U Xbox 360 slim
  • 2U Vent Panel
  • 5U Emotiva UPA7 Amp
  • 1U Blank Panel
  • 2U Panamax Power Conditioner
  • 4U Rack Drawer
  • 2U Vent Panel
Quote:
7. Why didn't you save the money and invest in a projector that had "memory programmed zoom capability" (for changing the CIH/Constant Image Height from 2.35 to 16:9 rather than invest in a Anamorphic Lense)?

At that time the JVC models didn't have lens memory (and I don't think the Epson models did, either, which was the other brand I would have considered). I don't regret the decision to go the A-lens route (although getting the AVS deal on that setup made it much easier to swallow). The lens memory setups I've seen still require ~20 seconds to switch modes, and you still lose the ~10% image brightness. Now, those things may not matter much today - and certainly the cost is nothing to sneeze at. But since I was going to spend $$$ on the motorized masking, putting money to get the best quality 2.35 image / experience out of the PJ was an easier justification...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 

post #276 of 319 Old 08-06-2013, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Power and line-level audio. You just run a coax cable (RG59) and terminate it with an RCA jack. Or, perhaps easier, terminate the coax cable with F-connectors and use an F-to-RCA fitting to connect to the subwoofer. I bought my Belden wire for the sub in nice pre-made 50' lengths and connected them to a wall plate keystone. Then an F-to-RCA adapter and a common RCA cable as a jumper from the wall plate to the sub.

They sell what I think are very nice sub cables at monoprice. Couldn't tell if they used RG59 or RG6, but came with RCA ends. Just be sure to test them! I had a bad one out of 4, they'd shorted the tip to the shield. Nothing I couldn't fix with some precision tools.

Electrical engineer by education. Currently a system engineer. I like home automation, theaters, and blinking lights.
Someday it'll be more of an actual hobby - if my employer would ever let me go home!
"The Escape Pod" - My First Theater Build
post #277 of 319 Old 08-06-2013, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

There would have been "reading" lights above at least the primary seating area. Even with the lights on "full", it's not bright enough in the room to read a newspaper, magazine or instruction manual. One additional lighting zone of 3" cans placed in the ceiling areas between the trays would have done the trick.

This makes me feel better. smile.gif I designed my room with two lighting tracks running front to back that I'll put 12V lighting on for reading. Then I can place the lights right behind the row (over the shoulder as it were) even if I change row positions - as the seating isn't fixed for mine (yet). I've been wondering if planning the track/reading lights was overkill, but I or my wife tend to do a lot of reading during movies and I thought this would be a nice feature of the room.

Electrical engineer by education. Currently a system engineer. I like home automation, theaters, and blinking lights.
Someday it'll be more of an actual hobby - if my employer would ever let me go home!
"The Escape Pod" - My First Theater Build
post #278 of 319 Old 08-06-2013, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielrg View Post

They sell what I think are very nice sub cables at monoprice. Couldn't tell if they used RG59 or RG6, but came with RCA ends. Just be sure to test them! I had a bad one out of 4, they'd shorted the tip to the shield. Nothing I couldn't fix with some precision tools.

They are RG6, but you'll need to use their "High Quality" subwoofer cables for in-wall installation, as the super-cheap ones are not CL2 rated. But yes, they are very inexpensive and a good choice, too.

post #279 of 319 Old 08-12-2013, 05:46 PM

Liked: 10
This is a great post jautor! I love seeing each step of your project!

I will have to do the same when I'm done with my project. It's different in scope and vision (and not nearly as balls out as your project!) - but maybe I can provide some insight on a designing and building an enthusiast media room with a focus on design, rather than a dedicated home theater.
post #280 of 319 Old 08-12-2013, 08:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinRobertson View Post

This is a great post jautor! I love seeing each step of your project!

I will have to do the same when I'm done with my project. It's different in scope and vision (and not nearly as balls out as your project!) - but maybe I can provide some insight on a designing and building an enthusiast media room with a focus on design, rather than a dedicated home theater.

Sounds interesting Colin and looking forward to it.

Where are you at in the process and what's your estimated timescale?

Regards

mark
post #281 of 319 Old 08-14-2013, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinRobertson View Post

maybe I can provide some insight on a designing and building an enthusiast media room with a focus on design, rather than a dedicated home theater.

Tease! Start the thread already... cool.gif

post #282 of 319 Old 08-15-2013, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Tease! Start the thread already... cool.gif

+1
post #283 of 319 Old 08-15-2013, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Beautiful theater. The colors are perfect and just what I'm looking for--do you remember what metallic paint and color was used for the ceiling? I'm also worried about the incandescent rope burning out since I haven't had good luck with the Lowe's stuff. I'm afraid the LED rope won't produce the warm white I'm looking for.
post #284 of 319 Old 08-15-2013, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahoo_envy View Post

I'm also worried about the incandescent rope burning out since I haven't had good luck with the Lowe's stuff. I'm afraid the LED rope won't produce the warm white I'm looking for.

Checkout these. http://www.orangetreetrade.com/shop/white-led-rope-light-kits-c-159.html?osCsid=2vgnunrkr8g1j96u754p2p9eh7

I bought the 50ft bright white for cove lighting. They do warm white. powered by 120v (so no driver to buy) and (according to cust support) dimmable with regular dimmer

No affiliation, just liked them. you can buy via Amazon too
post #285 of 319 Old 08-15-2013, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Beautiful theater. The colors are perfect and just what I'm looking for--do you remember what metallic paint and color was used for the ceiling?

Thanks. That color was the one piece I didn't have off-hand. (and I updated the top post as that's my archive for all that info!)

A quick text to the decorator, and she remembered: Modern Masters paints - Antique Copper.

Quote:
I'm also worried about the incandescent rope burning out since I haven't had good luck with the Lowe's stuff. I'm afraid the LED rope won't produce the warm white I'm looking for.

I got my rope lights cheap from 1000bulbs.com, and haven't had any issues. If they burn out, they're cheap and easy to replace, but those are very long lasting when stationary. Most of the faults I've seen are whole sections, not individual bulbs, and the failure was due to handling / wear-and-tear.

LED ropes will give a different color, certainly. Be very careful if you intend to dim them, from both a minimum load standpoint and the performance - definitely look to someone that's used the same setup if you go that route. I avoided LED there due to color, cost and dimming issues...

Jeff

post #286 of 319 Old 08-15-2013, 11:06 AM

Thank you for the link. I have had my eye on these and I'm inclined to purchased them; however, they state the cool white is closest to incandesent--just a little confusing. I have one 16' x 8' and two 16' x 2" coves to light with the rope and would like to achieve the effect Jautor did. The fact that the Orange Tree rope comes with four cords, I'll have a cord and enough scrap rope left over to light the back bar as well.
post #287 of 319 Old 08-15-2013, 11:20 AM

Jeff,

Thank you very much--I haven't started my build log yet, but don't be surprised if my color palette is very similiar to yours. I'm going to show your pics to the wife tonight and I feel confident she'll approve. Makes sense about the rope light and color is most important to me. I also like your seats!

Thanks again for sharing!

Shawn
post #288 of 319 Old 08-15-2013, 07:15 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Thank you for the link. I have had my eye on these and I'm inclined to purchased them; however, they state the cool white is closest to incandesent--just a little confusing. I have one 16' x 8' and two 16' x 2" coves to light with the rope and would like to achieve the effect Jautor did. The fact that the Orange Tree rope comes with four cords, I'll have a cord and enough scrap rope left over to light the back bar as well.

Please report about the dimming functionality using regular Lutron type dimmers or a Grafik Eye.  I also stayed away from LEDs (120v or otherwise) because I couldn't convince myself that there wouldn't be dimming issues.  The burning out issue is the most significant concern I have.  I think that the lights will generally be dimmed way down so I think that the electricity consumed and the heat generated will be on the lower side.  But I bought a bunch of extra splices and rope to replace 2 ft. sections as they burn out.  And I have been assured that they will burn out.

Diamante Build in DC - Double Drywall, Green Glue, Drywall Furring Channel, Riser, Stage, Bass Trap, In-Wall Speakers, BG Radia, JTR Captivators, Seymour AV, Sony HW-50ES, Sherbourn, Panasonic, Middle Atlantic, Lutron Grafik Eye, Baffle Wall

post #289 of 319 Old 11-09-2013, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Arrrrgg... Tried to use the theater last night, turned on the system, and... no audio...

Bad news - it's the common "HDMI switching board" issue on the Integra pre-amp, so in for service it goes.

Good news - it was just me watching (so the failure didn't spoil a party), the nearest service center was a 20 minute drive, and I had one week left in the 3-year warranty!

And yeah, that problem is definitely "common" among Onkyo / Integra AVRs - not sure I can recommend them unless they've figured out how to solder a board reliably... My two good friends with Onkyo/Integra products have both had the same issue - at least for the Integra cases they failed within warranty.

post #290 of 319 Old 11-09-2013, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Arrrrgg... Tried to use the theater last night, turned on the system, and... no audio...

Bad news - it's the common "HDMI switching board" issue on the Integra pre-amp, so in for service it goes.

That's why Onkyo will never get another dime out of me. $2K plus receiver and they use cheap components
post #291 of 319 Old 11-09-2013, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_anderson_u View Post

That's why Onkyo will never get another dime out of me. $2K plus receiver and they use cheap components

It's not even cheap components, it's just poor manufacturing quality. The common fault(s) seem to be in solder joints attaching the chips to the board. These things can be produced on very mainstream, high-volume PCB lines - I'm not sure why they continue to have difficulty. I haven't searched yet to see if 2012-2013 models from Onkyo have been suffering with these same problems or not.

post #292 of 319 Old 11-09-2013, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

Jeff,

Thank you very much--I haven't started my build log yet, but don't be surprised if my color palette is very similiar to yours. I'm going to show your pics to the wife tonight and I feel confident she'll approve. Makes sense about the rope light and color is most important to me. I also like your seats!

Thanks again for sharing!

Shawn

Jeff's theater is even better looking in person. It really is a classy space.
post #293 of 319 Old 11-10-2013, 05:45 AM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:

Good news - it was just me watching (so the failure didn't spoil a party), the nearest service center was a 20 minute drive, and I had one week left in the 3-year warranty!

And yeah, that problem is definitely "common" among Onkyo / Integra AVRs - not sure I can recommend them unless they've figured out how to solder a board reliably... My two good friends with Onkyo/Integra products have both had the same issue - at least for the Integra cases they failed within warranty.

Same thing happened with Moggie's Integra DHC-80.1 preamp. He had it fixed under warranty and hasn't had a problem since. Here's hoping you have the same experience!
post #294 of 319 Old 11-24-2013, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, still waiting for the Integra pre-amp to come back from service. Is it wrong that I had a "spare" pre-amp sitting in the closet I pressed into service temporarily? That old B&K Reference30 still does it's job. I was surprised to find 7.1 outputs on the thing - I had to look it up the manual. Ha! It supports Dolby Digital EX, and used a pair of outputs for the matrix. At least I could easily map five of the 7.1 analog outputs from the Oppo BD player to get everything up and running. I may have to go through a full speaker level / calibration session though if that repair center doesn't call before Thanksgiving weekend starts...

But here's a little thing that really made me smile - I finally got around to sending off the custom engraving order to Lutron for the GrafikEye and SeeTouch wallstations:

Which leads me into my new project - I bought a nice starter set of RadioRA2 gear from a forum member, and spent the afternoon rewiring the kitchen switches. I'm not sure I can recommend this system - I only bought enough to "get started with two rooms". And after a few hours of tinkering - I'm pricing out gear for the rest of the house. They should have placed a warning label on the box about the addictive properties of automated lighting controls... wink.gif

post #295 of 319 Old 11-24-2013, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Oh, how I would love to have a keypad that I could actually see in the dark. The Insteon keypad in brown with opaque buttons is one thing I would do differently. Yours looks great!
post #296 of 319 Old 11-24-2013, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

Oh, how I would love to have a keypad that I could actually see in the dark. The Insteon keypad in brown with opaque buttons is one thing I would do differently. Yours looks great!

Yeah, agreed - it's quite a nice change from the non-engraved black buttons on a black background.

Obligatory Hitchhiker's Guide quote: "Every time I press one of these black controls, labelled in black on a black background, a little black light lights up black to let me know I've done it."

post #297 of 319 Old 11-25-2013, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well, still waiting for the Integra pre-amp to come back from service. Is it wrong that I had a "spare" pre-amp sitting in the closet I pressed into service temporarily? That old B&K Reference30 still does it's job. I was surprised to find 7.1 outputs on the thing - I had to look it up the manual. Ha! It supports Dolby Digital EX, and used a pair of outputs for the matrix. At least I could easily map five of the 7.1 analog outputs from the Oppo BD player to get everything up and running. I may have to go through a full speaker level / calibration session though if that repair center doesn't call before Thanksgiving weekend starts...

But here's a little thing that really made me smile - I finally got around to sending off the custom engraving order to Lutron for the GrafikEye and SeeTouch wallstations:

Which leads me into my new project - I bought a nice starter set of RadioRA2 gear from a forum member, and spent the afternoon rewiring the kitchen switches. I'm not sure I can recommend this system - I only bought enough to "get started with two rooms". And after a few hours of tinkering - I'm pricing out gear for the rest of the house. They should have placed a warning label on the box about the addictive properties of automated lighting controls... wink.gif

I was going to put 5-button scene controllers in my house. They we're $180. Decided to spend $200 and put wall mounted touchscreen instead. Do a whole lot more for $20 extra and now prices are about $120 each
post #298 of 319 Old 01-19-2014, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

For anyone in the Houston area that's been following the thread, I'll be hosting a meet-and-demo in mid-February - see this thread for info:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1512168/houston-and-surrounding-area-meet

Jeff

post #299 of 319 Old 01-19-2014, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Looking forward to it!!!
post #300 of 319 Old 02-09-2014, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just a bump for anyone in the Houston area - we're doing an AVS meet-and-greet at my house next Saturday, Feb 15th in the late afternoon / evening. See thread linked above...

And that pushed me to take advantage of the excellent trial period on a subwoofer upgrade. A pair of SVS PB-2000 subs arrived yesterday ahead of the FexEx schedule. Hopefully I'll have some time to dial them in a bit before everyone shows up.

I was surprised how big they appear, even though they're only a "few inches" larger in each dimension than my existing ML Depth/i... Which is now sitting in the middle of the room until I recover from moving those beasts up the stairs!

Spaceman likes this.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page