Jautor's Rock Creek Theater - A post-build retrospective - Page 11 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #301 of 322 Old 02-20-2014, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13

Hey man, thanks again for the invite to the meet-and-demo. I was curious what all you used to mirror the video output on multiple screens throughout the house. Device(s), wiring, etc. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 322 Old 02-20-2014, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stridulent View Post

Hey man, thanks again for the invite to the meet-and-demo. I was curious what all you used to mirror the video output on multiple screens throughout the house. Device(s), wiring, etc. 

There's a combination of two setups. First, the theater system's HDMI output is mirrored via the HDMI-sub output on the pre-pro, with a short HDMI cable through the wall to the on-wall TV in my game room, just outside the theater. That's the only display that can see the local source(s) in the theater.

The 'whole house' sources (two DirecTV receivers, BD, and DVD players) are common to all displays, including the theater. Those are distributed via a bank of Aton HDR44 units:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1146188/aton-hdr44-hd-over-cat5-a-quick-review

I use the DVD/BD players on that setup to cue up pre-show entertainment (cartoon shorts, THX trailers, etc.), and have also just played "Nothing but Trailers" from HDNet AXS TV... The only downside to that setup for theater usage is for BD content limited to 1080i and DD5.1, but it's not a big deal. The local BD player is always used for the main content, of course...

Every display location in the house was wired with 3+ cat5e cables, with the Aton units using two of those for component video, analog and digital audio, and routed IR. All that cable is home-run to the equipment closet.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #303 of 322 Old 02-20-2014, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

I use the DVD/BD players on that setup to cue up pre-show entertainment (cartoon shorts, THX trailers, etc.), and have also just played "Nothing but Trailers" from HDNet AXS TV... The only downside to that setup for theater usage is for BD content limited to 1080i and DD5.1, but it's not a big deal. The local BD player is always used for the main content, of course...

Does your BD player have a USB port that would allow you to autoplay these files (trailers, etc.) off a USB thumb drive and then transition directly to the BD when you want?
post #304 of 322 Old 02-20-2014, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

Does your BD player have a USB port that would allow you to autoplay these files (trailers, etc.) off a USB thumb drive and then transition directly to the BD when you want?

It does (Oppo BD93). But the problem I've found is that the transition is nothing that we'd call "direct" or "instant". Moving from the network / streaming / USB services back to the BD transport wipes out any context in the player's firmware / memory, so the BD loads from the start. Which means waiting for the disc to load, then skipping the embedded trailers, etc. Luckily I tried this in a dry run before I had a room full of people. (Isn't that a AV theater geek move!!!")

So I stick with the multi-player approach to keep everything truly cue'd up. I've used an Xbox for showing a Youtube playlist I created to re-create the pre-show bits the local Alamo Drafthouse used before "Oblivion" - for the same reason. If I ripped the BD content to a server, I'm sure it could be done well, but I'm avoiding that leap for all the other reasons...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
post #305 of 322 Old 05-05-2014, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

For anyone following - avtexan has just finished his theater on the southern side of town, and is preparing for another Houston get together:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1530545/houston-area-gtg-summer-2014#post_24687399

post #306 of 322 Old 05-15-2014, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I know it's been a while but do you happen to know the actual fabric used for your curtains? I'm trying to find a nice velvet fabric to make into curtains and it's taking a while smile.gif
post #307 of 322 Old 05-15-2014, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maklar View Post

I know it's been a while but do you happen to know the actual fabric used for your curtains? I'm trying to find a nice velvet fabric to make into curtains and it's taking a while smile.gif

I don't, sorry... The decorator located it at one of the fabric shops. It was "relatively inexpensive", though...

post #308 of 322 Old 05-17-2014, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Thanks, I'll look around some more here. I checked out syfabrics but they don't look quite like what I am looking for.
post #309 of 322 Old 05-19-2014, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Jeff,

Do you remember how many coats of the Modern Masters "Antique Cooper" it took for good coverage in the coffers? I took a chance on some Rust-Oleum metallic paint that was advertised as a flat/matte that actually turned out to be semi-gloss. What a disaster is was -- good thing I figured it out a quarter of the way into the paint job. Anyway, I have re-primed the affected area and I might as well spend the extra on the Modern Masters metallic since I like the way your coffers glow in the pictures.

Also, that Tuftex carpet is nice stuff. I went with a Tuftex with a slightly higher pile and its costing me $2K for 426 sq. ft. I blew the budget on that one by 33%.

Regards,

Shawn
post #310 of 322 Old 05-19-2014, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahoo_envy View Post

Do you remember how many coats of the Modern Masters "Antique Cooper" it took for good coverage in the coffers?

No, I wasn't there to watch them paint it, but they only used two or three quarts of Modern Masters for the whole job. I remember having a bit left over in one quart jar, and throwing out an empty one. I figure there was about 320 sqft to cover, which according to MM's website, would be the conservative end of coverage for one gallon...
Quote:
Colors in the Metallic Paint Collection contain three levels of coverage/hide: Opaque, Semi-Opaque and Sheer. Opaque colors have excellent hide; two coats are recommended for best results. Semi-Opaque colors have good hide; three coats are recommended for best results. Sheer colors are translucent overcoats that when viewed from various angles flash color and/or give luster to traditional paints, other Metallic Paint colors or faux finishes/broken color. Coverage: 320-400 sq. ft./gallon

post #311 of 322 Old 06-06-2014, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Low-Voltage Wiring

I also picked up some inexpensive 50' Xantech IR emitter cables with 3.5mm ends, which easily reached the projector location and the GrafikEye. Since that wire would enter the line-voltage GrafikEye box, I added a pigtail later using a 1' section of Lutron control wire, which is rated to be inside a line-voltage junction box.

Wire Materials:

• IR: Xantech emitter extension cable

Wire locations:

• GrafikEye: 1x Cat5e, IR emitter cable

Jeff

Hi Jeff... I am planning to use the Grafik Eye QS, and want to be able to use the IR port on the back, and I see a normal IR wire isn't allowed into the high voltage box per code, so you did the pig tail.   I have seen in another one of your posts reference to PLEV for the pigtail.    I haven't spent much time, but did a few quick google searches and nothing clear was popping up.  I saw PLEV associated with some LED light circuits, and I saw some Lutron Control wire in 500' spools, but wasn't real sure what I should be getting.  

I assume you just cut the 1 end of the xantech emitter off and did a simple wire nut splice with the control/plev wire into the high voltage box?

post #312 of 322 Old 06-06-2014, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhvball View Post

Hi Jeff... I am planning to use the Grafik Eye QS, and want to be able to use the IR port on the back, and I see a normal IR wire isn't allowed into the high voltage box per code, so you did the pig tail.   I have seen in another one of your posts reference to PLEV for the pigtail.    I haven't spent much time, but did a few quick google searches and nothing clear was popping up.  I saw PLEV associated with some LED light circuits, and I saw some Lutron Control wire in 500' spools, but wasn't real sure what I should be getting.  

I probably misspelled it again. It's PELV (Protected Extra Low Voltage). The difference is that this wire is rated to be in the same box with high-voltage AC wire (romex). Lutron sells it, and I got mine from Hank's Electric who sells it by the foot (~$.45/ft).
Quote:
I assume you just cut the 1 end of the xantech emitter off and did a simple wire nut splice with the control/plev wire into the high voltage box?

No reason to even involve an emitter, and I'd use a larger-gauge wire, too. I was able to pigtail to a location nearby as my GE backs to the attic anyway, and terminated in a 3.5mm jack, which I then just attached to a 25' emitter extender cable. But a length of PELV with a 3.5mm male jack soldered on the far end would be simpler - and would be my recommendation as you certainly don't want splices in the walls if you have no access to fix them later...

Jeff

post #313 of 322 Old 06-07-2014, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, while attempting to watch Game of Thrones last weekend, I noticed the image seemed dim, and with ~900-1000 hours on the JVC lamp, it was probably time to try "High" lamp mode. Which did make a difference, especially since GoT is almost all dark anyway. But 30 minutes in - POP! - smell of smoke, screen goes black, LEDs flashing red... Time for a new lamp! Glad that happened while I was watching alone and not with a theater full of people! eek.gif

Quick note to AV Science, and I'm up and running (thanks Jason!). And so that bill reminded me I have a perfectly good extra subwoofer sitting here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1534832/martin-logan-depth-subwoofer

(along with an extra 2-channel setup, and a B&K pre-pro/amp I need to set up for sale, too)

post #314 of 322 Old 06-09-2014, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 119
1000 hours seems like not a lot is that normal for the JVC my Panny is rated for 4000-5000 hours.
post #315 of 322 Old 06-09-2014, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw5billwade View Post

1000 hours seems like not a lot is that normal for the JVC my Panny is rated for 4000-5000 hours.

For the RS50 with the original lamp design, this apparently was fairly typical. JVC was replacing some short-life lamps under warranty as they weren't lasting like they should (nor performing well). The lamp design / manufacturing has been improved, so hopefully my new lamp will fare better! Which is why I bought the lamp from AV Science - to ensure I got the most recent design version. Manufacture date on my lamp assembly was in April - so it was only in the supply chain for 6 weeks.

post #316 of 322 Old 07-18-2014, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
HDR44 question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

The 'whole house' sources (two DirecTV receivers, BD, and DVD players) are common to all displays, including the theater. Those are distributed via a bank of Aton HDR44 units
When setting up this unit, did you run into any issues about devices not outputting content to non-HDMI sources, e.g. some AVRs won't pass content from HDMI connected devices to component outputs? Did you get around any such issues by connecting each DVR/Blu-Ray/etc. directly to the Aton via component with no contribution from an AVR? Thanks. Fingers crossed that I'll match to MD Anderson and move to Houston in a year. Would love to participate in the GTGs.
post #317 of 322 Old 07-18-2014, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epepin View Post
When setting up this unit, did you run into any issues about devices not outputting content to non-HDMI sources, e.g. some AVRs won't pass content from HDMI connected devices to component outputs? Did you get around any such issues by connecting each DVR/Blu-Ray/etc. directly to the Aton via component with no contribution from an AVR? Thanks. Fingers crossed that I'll match to MD Anderson and move to Houston in a year. Would love to participate in the GTGs.
The only thing I found was on a DirecTV box when showing a PPV event - if that was connected to an HDMI display in parallel with the component outputs, the component output was disabled (and showed a message on screen to that effect). Removing the HDMI connection allowed it to work just fine. So at least for the HDR44, as it has a video loop output for each input, is to just connect any local display via those component loop outputs.

Jeff

post #318 of 322 Old 07-22-2014, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Wow - what an awesome thread. Really nice theater and home. I love your back yard, it was really cool seeing the pictures of the backyard transform from a bunch of grass into what you have now.
post #319 of 322 Old 07-26-2014, 04:55 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question

Any upcoming demo/Houston meet-up's? I'm finalizing plans for a north Houston (Bender's Landing Estates) custom build and would love to pick the brains of the Houston pro's for home automation, whole home A/V, etc.
post #320 of 322 Old 08-19-2014, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdjelar View Post
Any upcoming demo/Houston meet-up's? I'm finalizing plans for a north Houston (Bender's Landing Estates) custom build and would love to pick the brains of the Houston pro's for home automation, whole home A/V, etc.
Reminder - speaking of GtG - yes, AVTexan is hosting one this weekend:

Houston Area GTG - Summer 2014

(I'll be there!)

post #321 of 322 Old 08-19-2014, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What a great thread, I am planning a pretty similar style to this because I like the look and i have pretty much the same dimensions as you. Mine is an unfinished basement with 9ft ceilings. Great Job!
post #322 of 322 Old 08-21-2014, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 25
This theater is STUNNING! Simply, and undeniably, STUNNING.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page