Jautor's Rock Creek Theater - A post-build retrospective - Page 12 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 37Likes

Old 01-02-2016, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Great build. Great ideas.

Thanks for sharing. Got good tips/advice.

Any particular reason you went with fiberglass insulation over Spray Foam for entire room?

Last edited by bronxtale; 01-02-2016 at 06:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2016, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxtale View Post
Great build. Great ideas.

Thanks for sharing. Got good tips/advice.

Any particular reason you went with fiberglass insulation over Spray Foam for entire room?
At the time spray foam was not at all popular in Houston, and half of the insulation was already in place from the house construction, so it's not something I even thought about. A good friend now works for a manufacturer, and we'll probably see a lot more of it in Houston in the future. While it does make accessing the walls more difficult, it does makes ceiling / attic access simple, even in the summer!

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Old 01-15-2016, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Rot in hell Berkline!

So here I am coming up on five years with the theater finished, and what's the first thing to fail dramatically? The @#$!#$ chairs.

I ordered a combo leather/bonded leather (leather seats, with cheaper bonded leather on the backs/sides where you don't really care) set of recliners from Berkline via my interior designer - they were delivered about a month before Berkline closed up shop for good. A long time I go I started to suspect I didn't actually get leather on the seats, especially when comparing other theater seats (since I've had enough experience sitting in mine now). But no big deal, right? Not like I can do anything about it - the company is long gone, and I don't know where the "mistake" was made (but it wasn't me at least). I suspect, though, that the factory, being that close to liquidation, used materials they had on hand to fulfill orders quickly - just a theory, but certainly in the realm of possibility...

Anyway, a few months ago, I noticed the bonded leather material on the headrest of my primary seat blistering and cracking - basically separating from the foam backing and falling apart. I thought maybe it was reacting with something (cleaning? hair products?). But then over the next month or two, four or five more chairs were showing exactly the same problem. Now I'm up to 7 of eight doing it.

While there are some other cracking, the real damage is only showing up on the headrest...

I talked to some furniture re-upholstery folks and got the answer I expected - repairs would be more than new chairs. So then I came up with an idea, and talked to a great Auto Upholstery guy (Cy-Fair Auto Upholstry and Glass, if you're in the area...), and we came up with a headrest cover, which they fabricated using velcro to attach behind the headrest cushion. They even added some tucks on the sides to make the cover follow the cushion better. Here's the first two installed:

Total - about $25/seat. The color matches really close when the lights aren't on full blast like they are here. I'm thrilled with the results, especially for the cost. Hopefully that gives me another year or two of life before I set them all on fire in the driveway...

The test drive during The Martian was successful! I'll install the rest of them in time for the Super Bowl workout!

Jeff
willmo likes this.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Old 01-16-2016, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 134
I have had the same issue on our "full leather" couch and love seat. The main areas are leather and they are holding up really well the side panels on the couch are plether, naughahide, vinyl, or some other type of fake leather and are cracking like crazy. Of course when the Mrs called the store the warranty was four days (yes four days) out and they said there was absolutely nothing they could do.

I like your alternative fix for the areas it looks good, it's practical, and mostly affordable.

I will have to keep that in mind as I'm sure at some point I will have the same issues with my chairs. We have a really good trim shop here locally I could use and they would do a great job.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
So here I am coming up on five years with the theater finished, and what's the first thing to fail dramatically? The @#$!#$ chairs.

I ordered a combo leather/bonded leather (leather seats, with cheaper bonded leather on the backs/sides where you don't really care) set of recliners from Berkline via my interior designer - they were delivered about a month before Berkline closed up shop for good. A long time I go I started to suspect I didn't actually get leather on the seats, especially when comparing other theater seats (since I've had enough experience sitting in mine now). But no big deal, right? Not like I can do anything about it - the company is long gone, and I don't know where the "mistake" was made (but it wasn't me at least). I suspect, though, that the factory, being that close to liquidation, used materials they had on hand to fulfill orders quickly - just a theory, but certainly in the realm of possibility...

Anyway, a few months ago, I noticed the bonded leather material on the headrest of my primary seat blistering and cracking - basically separating from the foam backing and falling apart. I thought maybe it was reacting with something (cleaning? hair products?). But then over the next month or two, four or five more chairs were showing exactly the same problem. Now I'm up to 7 of eight doing it.

While there are some other cracking, the real damage is only showing up on the headrest...

I talked to some furniture re-upholstery folks and got the answer I expected - repairs would be more than new chairs. So then I came up with an idea, and talked to a great Auto Upholstery guy (Cy-Fair Auto Upholstry and Glass, if you're in the area...), and we came up with a headrest cover, which they fabricated using velcro to attach behind the headrest cushion. They even added some tucks on the sides to make the cover follow the cushion better. Here's the first two installed:

Total - about $25/seat. The color matches really close when the lights aren't on full blast like they are here. I'm thrilled with the results, especially for the cost. Hopefully that gives me another year or two of life before I set them all on fire in the driveway...

The test drive during The Martian was successful! I'll install the rest of them in time for the Super Bowl workout!

Jeff

Now I see what you were telling me at Cedia. That would be frustrating.
Old 01-17-2016, 01:20 PM
d_c
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 728
Old 01-17-2016, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_c View Post
Bonded leather makes me angry! What a devious product.
When I showed photos to ANY of the upholstery folks, they all said the same thing: "they shouldn't be allowed to sell that crap"...

Old 01-17-2016, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Reminds me of the Soul Glo scene from Coming To America.

Discouraging to say the least. Glad you were able to find an easy fix.
Old 01-17-2016, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
When I showed photos to ANY of the upholstery folks, they all said the same thing: "they shouldn't be allowed to sell that crap"...
They should have to MAKE FULL DISCLOSURE to the consumer it's a bonded leather product. I can see the market for a "cheaper" product but again the consumer should know so they can make an informed choice. I have a feeling you are correct in your assessment in they may have just used whatever was available to get orders filled right before shutting the doors. At that point their mentality would be "who cares....not us".

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
Old 01-17-2016, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Here they do, but the manufacturers present it like it was a "feature".

usb port digital movie poster light box project

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/32-the...ay-got-me.html
Old 04-13-2016, 11:23 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Hi,

How is your experience with the SpeakerCraft OG3's?
I'm condidering to buy 4 of thos with a subwoofer, probabaly DIY (12" or 15" sonance style with sonotube)
I read the OG have range starting at 150Hz, no way a (my) sub wil go that hi, what is you experience with this?

Thank you
Old 04-14-2016, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Awesome build!!! Yes bonded leather can be a pain. In my new theater(2nd) I am building, I am going with Micro Fiber, so we will see how that lasts. I always hated the feeling of the cold leather in my last theater.

Thanks for all the great detail, it helps a lot in picking up new ideas

New Theater pics
Theater Thread
JVC RS600/180"(195.4" Diagonal) Wide curved Seymour 2.37:1 XD/Marantz 8802A/Outlaw Amps 7900 & 5000, 7.2.4 all PSA set up 3 MTM210's / 8 MT110SR's / Dual t-18's
Old 04-15-2016, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcolin2 View Post
How is your experience with the SpeakerCraft OG3's?
I'm condidering to buy 4 of thos with a subwoofer, probabaly DIY (12" or 15" sonance style with sonotube)
I read the OG have range starting at 150Hz, no way a (my) sub wil go that hi, what is you experience with this?
Well, remember that frequency response is a curve, not a cliff. But yeah, they are small, sealed speakers - there's not a lot of bass coming out of them, and the sub helps a lot. My experience has been ok with them, they don't seem to push a lot of sound, and are better in quantity (which is what they were designed for...).

Their advantage is that their size and shape make them easily disappear into the landscape. Which they definitely do. But in hindsight, once your landscaping is more than a few months / seasons old, even a traditional outdoor speaker is going to be fairly easily hidden among the plants. I could see upgrading mine in the future to something with more output.

(but the BoomTomb stays!)

Jeff

Old 04-15-2016, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveFred View Post
Awesome build!!! Yes bonded leather can be a pain. In my new theater(2nd) I am building, I am going with Micro Fiber, so we will see how that lasts. I always hated the feeling of the cold leather in my last theater.
Thanks! Yeah, I'll certainly look hard at microfiber fabrics when I replace all of my @#$&^#$ seats. And yes, it's a "when", not an "if" at this point.
SteveFred likes this.

Old 04-15-2016, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Wow, very nice build Jautor. I would be exceedingly pleased with that if I was you.

I am currently progressing through my HT build. Really enjoying it but its a serious project - hadn't counted on the level of planning necessary to pull it off. Trying to keep it in perspective and move through it slowly.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:26 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Well, remember that frequency response is a curve, not a cliff. But yeah, they are small, sealed speakers - there's not a lot of bass coming out of them, and the sub helps a lot. My experience has been ok with them, they don't seem to push a lot of sound, and are better in quantity (which is what they were designed for...).

Their advantage is that their size and shape make them easily disappear into the landscape. Which they definitely do. But in hindsight, once your landscaping is more than a few months / seasons old, even a traditional outdoor speaker is going to be fairly easily hidden among the plants. I could see upgrading mine in the future to something with more output.

(but the BoomTomb stays!)

Jeff
Jeff,

No really positive so, if i understand you correctly, you would'n buy them again.
Si I might better look into someting else, sononace is really expensive, Polk, episode or niles might be other options.

Thx
Old 04-18-2016, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcolin2 View Post
No really positive so, if i understand you correctly, you would'n buy them again.
Si I might better look into someting else, sononace is really expensive, Polk, episode or niles might be other options.

Yeah, I think you've got my gist... I'm not going to replace anything (they're "fine"), and the Sonance stuff was too pricey. I liked the form factor, but as I said, with the plants growing to effectively hide them anyway, a Niles / Boston / etc. outdoor, ground-level speaker would work just fine...

Jeff

Old 05-24-2016, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Rot in HELL Berkline, part 2...

So my "custom headrest covers" are working well, although the vinyl is warm on the back of the head after a long movie (nothing a cold beverage doesn't fix). But the so-called bonded leather continues to degrade (which, again, this isn't what I ordered, but I'm stuck, so...).

Small areas of wear are starting to appear in high-use spots. I've tried to mitigate the damage by rotating all of my chairs around a few months back - like tires! Moved the primary viewing position chairs to the least-used spots, and so forth. But the damage continues. There are two spots not covered by the headrests that have now blistered and split open. Here's the bad one that I've already trimmed off to deal with:

I was thinking about how to deal with this, short of burning them all in a pile in the driveway, to see if I can get another year or two of use out of them before they completely fail. With a dedicated theater, I realized, many more "imperfect" repair solutions are viable. This isn't a leather couch in the living room, viewed daily and in lots of lighting conditions. The theater is dark, single-purpose, and quite frankly, as long as the seats work, no one is going to care. I thought about the true trashy solution of duct tape - and I knew it's available in a lot of colors so I could probably get something close, but that just seemed too cheap.

Some quick searching led me to the proper search term: "Leather Repair Tape". A few minutes and an Amazon click later, I had a $10 solution: Match n' Patch Realistic Leather Tape!

The stuff feels at least as good as my vinyl headrest covers, and with the tip from the box on a bit of cooking oil on the scissors to get a stick-free slice, it's super easy. Here's the same seat, with a repair. Now, this is with the theater lights at 100%, which no one ever sees. And even then, the camera is showing a difference that I can't make out at first glance now. With the lights even dimmed to "pre-show" levels, the stuff is invisible.

With 25' of 2" wide tape per $10 roll, I can see lining the entire surface of all eight recliners over the next 18 months, before they are finally consumed by fire...

Feel my pain,

Jeff

P.S. - Rot in hell, Berkline (in case I haven't made myself clear)
willmo likes this.

Old 05-25-2016, 04:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 186
I am not real clear... So, are you saying you wouldn't buy Berkline bonded leather again ;-)

Sorry to hear your pain...

Last edited by kmhvball; 05-25-2016 at 04:07 AM. Reason: fix typo
Old 05-25-2016, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhvball View Post
I am not real clear... So, are you saying you wouldn't buy Berkline bonded leather again ;-)
Well, I paid for the Berkline *LEATHER* (not what I got) chairs, so there's that...

The good news is that neither I or anyone else will have that happen to them again.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Where is the dis-like button
Sorry to hear about the chairs

One day I will start the new theater....... one day..... THAT DAY HAS ARRIVED
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green
Family Cave Theater
Automation Thoughts/ Questions
Old 05-25-2016, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Wow, I would be so pissed if my chairs did this. I feel your pain.

My build thread: The Unprofessional Build
Old 05-25-2016, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

If you charged for movie and poker night....you'd have new chairs in no time. Ha!!
Old 05-25-2016, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7channelfreak View Post
If you charged for movie and poker night....you'd have new chairs in no time. Ha!!
Yeah, and I could make them in the prison furniture shop!

Old 05-25-2016, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yeah, and I could make them in the prison furniture shop!
Well there is that....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement