Jautor's Rock Creek Theater - A post-build retrospective - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 43Likes

post #361 of 366 Old 11-06-2016, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked: 835
Ahhh, that's much better... Color matches my club chairs, and the room has that new-cow smell...

EDIT: These are United Leather 'Penthouse' recliners, in 'Clove' leather, in a chair/loveseat/chair 10100101 configuration.

http://www.unitedleatherusa.com/cinema-styles.html

Waterboy77 and kmhvball like this.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: I am fixing photo links in my theater thread - if you find dead photo links elsewhere, please PM me and I will fix it.

Last edited by jautor; 03-06-2017 at 12:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 366 Old 11-06-2016, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Wow! Those are beautiful chairs. I can almost smell them from here!

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #363 of 366 Old 03-05-2017, 06:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 152
I'm a few months late to the party here but since you mentioned your chairs in your PM, my Berklines are the exact same model as yours (Reno I think?) and have been peeling for a year or 2 now. Also one of them doesn't even recline anymore.

I bought the bonded leather models as well because they said that the seating surfaces are still premium real leather and the arm rests and backs are bonded. Oh well. I bought these in 2013 I think. You would think for $1400 a guy would get more than 3 or 4 years out of them. They don't even get used everyday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chairs.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	2008041  

post #364 of 366 Old 03-06-2017, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVoth View Post
I'm a few months late to the party here but since you mentioned your chairs in your PM, my Berklines are the exact same model as yours (Reno I think?) and have been peeling for a year or 2 now. Also one of them doesn't even recline anymore.
Oh, man, sorry to hear that! Yeah, those are the same model 'Hollywood'. The one that doesn't recline - does it not work at all? Meaning, no response to the button presses (or does it 'try' to move and mechanically has failed)?

I ask because one of mine stopped working completely, and as I diagnosed the problem to find out what was failed, I found that the idiots screwed up something in their power supply design. The output voltage runs higher than spec'ed, and the supply runs very hot (gee, wonder why!). I found that if I unplugged the chair for a few hours, it would start working again. It would fail when the supply got too hot (hopefully shutting itself off with thermal protection). As this concerned me about having eight of these things plugged in 24/7 (possible fire risk?), I moved all of the chairs onto a remote-controlled switched outlet. Picked up a cheap RF remote from eBay for like $20 with a simple on/off remote control. Works great. I only had the chairs powered then when they were in use, and otherwise, they were powered off. Never had another problem with the chairs not working...

Hope that helps your case, too...

Quote:
I bought the bonded leather models as well because they said that the seating surfaces are still premium real leather and the arm rests and backs are bonded. Oh well. I bought these in 2013 I think. You would think for $1400 a guy would get more than 3 or 4 years out of them. They don't even get used everyday.
Wow, so you got sold the same bill of goods I got suckered with. Yep, mine were supposed to be "leather match" with the bonded leather only on the sides/back, but obviously we both got took by these clowns.

I'll suggest the same thing that got me through for most of a year - the color-matched Leather Repair Tape. Should be really easy with black...

But yeah, start your shopping - they aren't going to get any better. And there is no fixing it that makes any economic sense.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: I am fixing photo links in my theater thread - if you find dead photo links elsewhere, please PM me and I will fix it.
post #365 of 366 Old 03-06-2017, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
Ahhh, that's much better... Color matches my club chairs, and the room has that new-cow smell...

Sorry if I missed, it. What brand and model are the new seats?

I saw your post Saturday, shortly after the furniture company brought in our bonded leather couch and loveseat..... I did buy the warranty though, which is good for five years. Bet I'll be replacing them before that.

Bud
post #366 of 366 Old 03-06-2017, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinadog View Post
Sorry if I missed, it. What brand and model are the new seats?
I'll have to look back, but I thought I posted it... If not I'll certainly update the first post with the summary, too.

The new chairs are United Leather USA 'Penthouse' in 'Clove' (believe this color has been discontinued / replaced which is part of the reason for the sale price I got).

http://www.unitedleatherusa.com/cinema-styles.html

Quote:
I saw your post Saturday, shortly after the furniture company brought in our bonded leather couch and loveseat..... I did buy the warranty though, which is good for five years. Bet I'll be replacing them before that.
Yeah, I wish you good luck! Keep that warranty info around (make a copy, put it in an envelope and tape that to the underside of the furniture!). After my (unintended) experience with this bonded leather crap, and the reactions I got from every one of the upholstery folks I talked to, I would steer anyone away from all of it, regardless of "savings".

I'm also finding that a bench I have at the foot of my bed (about 8 years old) that has a "leather" cushion top on it is failing just like my recliners did. Totally different manufacturer, and at least I can get a new one made easy enough, but still - basically 100% of any fake-leather products I've bought have failed, and not due to use or abuse...

Last edited by jautor; 03-06-2017 at 12:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page