Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 323 Old 10-03-2012, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Awesome! I love landscaping projects so I'm excited to see this come together.

The Austin Home Theater:
A DIY high school project (now complete and being enjoyed everyday)

post #183 of 323 Old 10-03-2012, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Day 3-5: Pond completely excavated - we had some rain that halted work over the weekend. Seating wall constructed, pavers delivered.

DSC_0038.jpg

DSC_0053.jpg

And yes, it's a pretty big pond. 3.5' deep at this end. Need the depth to allow the fish to get out of reach of the predatory birds that I see around the area... Exhibit A as to why this wasn't a DIY job!

DSC_0055.jpg

First load of boulders dumped around for later placement. (ahem, Exhibit B):

DSC_0057.jpg

And, yes, Exhibit C. Defense rests...

DSC_0047.jpg

(next post will catch us up to real time)

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #184 of 323 Old 10-03-2012, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Day 6-7: Base for the concrete pavers put down, graded, and first 2 pallets done. Pond liner is being ordered (couldn't find one wide enough locally - I was surprised by that), and luckily the weather will hold out until it arrives - I'm guessing early next week.

DSC_0074.jpg

DSC_0080.jpg

DSC_0082.jpg

Oh, here, back on topic! The A/V gear for the patio. 4 SpeakerCraft OG 3's, a SpeakerCraft BoomTomb buried subwoofer, hooked up to Dayton/AudioSource amps and fed by the NuVo zone already in place for the covered patio:

DSC_0085.jpg

And I'm still debating whether I'll attempt to fish new wires to the outdoor kitchen for a TV there... This outdoor location was *NOT* one I planned for a display. The garage, yes, back yard, no. Silly me.

(there, now we're all caught up to real time)

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
post #185 of 323 Old 10-03-2012, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

It's amazing what the pros can get done in a short amount of time. I'd probably spend a month digging! eek.gif

It looks like you will have a great outdoor space. I'm interested to hear your opinion on the BoomTomb. I've never seen one of those before.

The Austin Home Theater:

post #186 of 323 Old 10-03-2012, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaustin View Post

It's amazing what the pros can get done in a short amount of time. I'd probably spend a month digging! eek.gif
It looks like you will have a great outdoor space. I'm interested to hear your opinion on the BoomTomb. I've never seen one of those before.

Thanks! Yeah, I would have had to use equipment or hired a crew anyway to get it done in any reasonable amount of time. I covered up the pond hole over the weekend when we got an inch or more of rain to prevent it from becoming a mud hole.

I tested the BoomTomb sitting on the ground - it's definitely a huge improvement to the small satellite speakers. First impression is that at reasonable listening levels it's very good. At higher levels and with very bass-heavy beats it's "sloppy". But I'll reserve judgement until it's in the ground. I am using a Dayton 230W subwoofer amp in lieu of the SpeakerCraft model, which had an MSRP of $999 eek.gif... But the BoomTomb, compared to other brands of buried subs I saw at CEDIA, at an MSRP of $549 (I think) is certainly a good value.

I wasn't going to use any of the "rock" speakers for the simple fact that their colors are *never* anything close to the kinds of stone we use in this part of Texas.

Jeff

post #187 of 323 Old 10-05-2012, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Day 8: Lots of paving progress, anticipating the field being completed tomorrow. We'll see how long and how many saws will be involved in the brick-cutting...

DSC_0087.jpg

DSC_0091.jpg

post #188 of 323 Old 10-05-2012, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Add a pool next, then you have to move somewhere else for whatever reason, then sell me your house!

Looking nice!

post #189 of 323 Old 10-05-2012, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 104
That's coming together. What's the ETA on the 1st fish?

Looks like they went right over the existing covered patio with the new pavers. I was hoping they were going to do that. Do you happen to know the installation method they used over the existing concrete? Did everything work out ok at your patio door (no funny transition)? Looks like they are leaving a small gap between your existing stucco columns and the pavers. That's good. You don't want them touching. In the areas where the pavers are actually higher than the bottom of the adjacent stucco, you'll want to be sure to clean that gap out periodically. You don't want dirt and water collecting in there.

Does the plan include some tall trees & shrubs on the right side of your yard between the pond and the fence? Your new neighbors have a great view of your yard from their balcony.
post #190 of 323 Old 10-05-2012, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbraden32 View Post

Add a pool next, then you have to move somewhere else for whatever reason, then sell me your house!

So, basically, worst case scenario for me, then? biggrin.gif

post #191 of 323 Old 10-05-2012, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

That's coming together. What's the ETA on the 1st fish?

ETA for completion was end of next week. That may get delayed a bit depending on when the pond liner shows up. I'll probably give it a week to get some plants into the pond and stabilize the water before adding a few fish. See how they go, and a week later dump a bunch in. I'm not doing Koi, although I had them in my old pond. They were cool, but more work than I expected and they're just not water lily compatible. I had one that routinely dug up plants and made a mud soup out of the whole pond. And then they jump out or get chased out by raccoons... At this house, I'm more concerned about predatory birds having a feast.
Quote:
Looks like they went right over the existing covered patio with the new pavers. I was hoping they were going to do that. Do you happen to know the installation method they used over the existing concrete?

Yep. Sand base prep on top of the concrete to get some slope, but otherwise nothing else.
Quote:
Did everything work out ok at your patio door (no funny transition)? Looks like they are leaving a small gap between your existing stucco columns and the pavers. That's good. You don't want them touching. In the areas where the pavers are actually higher than the bottom of the adjacent stucco, you'll want to be sure to clean that gap out periodically. You don't want dirt and water collecting in there.

They haven't started cutting the edge pieces into place yet, but there's plenty of height at the door threshold, so it'll be fine. The builder expected the patio would be covered eventually, so the (final) height is fine. Where the pavers will be higher than the stucco, should they just stuff the area underneath with the sand fill to keep dirt/water out? The columns are all under cover and don't get rained on, though...
Quote:
Does the plan include some tall trees & shrubs on the right side of your yard between the pond and the fence? Your new neighbors have a great view of your yard from their balcony.

Yeah, a good sized live oak being positioned right in the line of sight to block that direct view. The good news is my balcony has a good view back at them, so two can play at that game. But I don't have a 6 or 7-year old to peek back!

Although it's only wishful thinking that anyone would see something "interesting" going on in my back yard... biggrin.gif

Jeff

post #192 of 323 Old 10-05-2012, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Where the pavers will be higher than the stucco, should they just stuff the area underneath with the sand fill to keep dirt/water out? The columns are all under cover and don't get rained on, though...

Ideally, you would want the pavers to slide under the stucco and the weep screed to be raised if needed to maintain at least a 2" gap. That's a lot of work however, so I would recommend they just leave a wide enough gap where it's easy for you to come along with a leaf blower and keep the gap cleaned out. You definitely don't want sand piled up to the bottom of the weep screed or against the side of the stucco. An air gap, while not as visually appealing as a sand joint, is what I would recommend. Let me know if they have some other creative way to handle it.
post #193 of 323 Old 10-06-2012, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Day 9: Paver field done, about halfway though the edge cutting work - expect that to be done on Monday. I took some measurements today and calculated the pond volume right at 3000 gallons...

DSC_0095.jpg

DSC_0101.jpg

Spaceman - patio height at the back door came out just right!

DSC_0094.jpg

post #194 of 323 Old 10-06-2012, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Very Nice. That's quite the entertaining space. Perfect for hanging out before poker and a movie.
post #195 of 323 Old 10-06-2012, 06:09 PM

post #196 of 323 Old 10-09-2012, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Jeff -

First - this looks amazing. I'm excited to see the finished product.

Second - thanks for leading the way with this - I started talks with a couple of outdoor builders several months ago to expand my patio (since the theater was done), and with work becoming crazy, I had to put everything on hold. You've given me some things to think about (no stamped concrete, pavers, how it will fit with the existing patio, etc.). I have about 4 pallets of leftover brick that I think we'll re-use for the seated areas, and maybe a fire pit. I like your concept of putting the big oak there in the middle - that's pretty nice.

Looking forward to seeing more of the progress.
post #197 of 323 Old 10-12-2012, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mike - thanks! You know, it's funny that I had a 1/3 pallet of pavestone bricks left over from the front walkway - so I asked the landscaper to use them up by building a pad at my back yard gate. Turned out that we had 1/3 pallet leftover from the patio construction, which is better material, so they used that for the gate area instead.

Day 10-12:

Well, the patio is finished, but my curse on project managers continues my 1.000 rating. He apparently quit the company without much notice, moving on to the oil industry doing completely unrelated work (less skilled, not using his Landscape Architecture degree, but a LOT more money). Good news is at least, he did everything I needed from him from a design standpoint, and he did an excellent job of that. So the owner of the company has stepped in to finish the job - the one thing the guy didn't do before quitting was complete the order for the pond parts. So we're on hold waiting for those to arrive - probably Tuesday of next week.

DSC_0113.jpg

DSC_0118.jpg

I did take advantage of an unseasonably cold day last Sunday to pull speaker wire across the attic and down through pre-installed flex conduit (which I put in during home construction for this eventual purpose). I pulled two cat5e cables just in case as well, since I have a spool sitting here.

No big deal on the delay... Weather has held up nicely, but looks like I'll need to cover the pond hole before expected rain on Sunday to avoid a mud pit. Next update should have some good pictures of a pond liner being wrestled into place.

Jeff

post #198 of 323 Old 10-12-2012, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Sorry to hear about the snag Jeff but the progress looks great!

The Esquire Theater Construction Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1289590
post #199 of 323 Old 10-16-2012, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Day 15: After a few days delay waiting for the pond liner to arrive, a flurry of activity today, well, until the rain came. We had some rain this weekend, so I had protected the pond hole with a plastic tarp. First job was to pump out that water. Two crews here today, one to build the fire pit and the other for pond construction.

Fire pit:

DSC_0124.jpg

Pond liner and underlayment down, just in time for the rain to start (that wasn't forecast!):

DSC_0126.jpg

And by 3pm the rain had put a stop to work for the day. The liner is one continuous piece covering both the pond and the entire stream. So no seams or dissimilar materials to worry about.

DSC_0129.jpg

They'll be back in force tomorrow to do a lot more rock arranging. Expect that to take at least 3 more days, with hopefully soil brought in to form the planting beds to finish out the week. Definitely starting to look like something, and really glad to have the hold covered - now filling with FREE water!

post #200 of 323 Old 10-16-2012, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quick !! Protect the pond from getting wet smile.gif I am jealous.
post #201 of 323 Old 10-16-2012, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

That pond liner is HUGE! eek.gif

It makes me laugh at the little one that I was going to buy at Home Depot when I had plans for a pond.

The whole project is looking great. I especially like the rock fire pit.

The Austin Home Theater:

post #202 of 323 Old 10-16-2012, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I thought the title of this thread was "dedicated theater design and construction"

Can I add a description of how I changed the alternator on my 745i? Seems anything is game now wink.gif
LeBon likes this.
post #203 of 323 Old 10-16-2012, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_anderson_u View Post

I thought the title of this thread was "dedicated theater design and construction"
Can I add a description of how I changed the alternator on my 745i? Seems anything is game now wink.gif

Depends, do you have pictures? If you don't have pics, it didn't happen.

In your thread, anything with pictures goes biggrin.gif

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #204 of 323 Old 10-19-2012, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:

What I Would Do Different...

Maybe used clips and channel. In the end I was surprised that the acoustic/isolation bill was under 10% of the total project cost. Doing the walls with clips and channel wouldn't have broken the bank. But I don't know how I'd do the ceiling, or more importantly, I don't know if I could have explained it properly to the contractors so *they* could make it work... (obviously this would entail building the cofferred ceiling inside the room)

This is exactly where I am now. I know I need to treat my walls with clips and channel but I have struggled with the ceiling. My ceiling for the HT has open attic above it and is not attached to the rafters. I want a soffit and cofferred ceiling and I am concerned with the complexity and added weight that this presents when using clips and channels for the ceiling. If you did it over again would you do the walls and NOT the ceiling? I have thought about doing 3 layers of dw+gg for the ceiling. If someone else has done the coffered ceiling with clips and channels I would love to hear of your experience in construction and the results.

Congrats on the great build and count me in for the BW-8 tour. I am in the Clear Lake area.

The Moving Pictures Theater Construction Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1462881/th...ruction-thread

Houston GTG - Summer 2014
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/61-are...l#post26079610
post #205 of 323 Old 10-19-2012, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avtexan View Post

This is exactly where I am now. I know I need to treat my walls with clips and channel but I have struggled with the ceiling. My ceiling for the HT has open attic above it and is not attached to the rafters. I want a soffit and cofferred ceiling and I am concerned with the complexity and added weight that this presents when using clips and channels for the ceiling. If you did it over again would you do the walls and NOT the ceiling? I have thought about doing 3 layers of dw+gg for the ceiling. If someone else has done the coffered ceiling with clips and channels I would love to hear of your experience in construction and the results.

If you're going to clip the walls, certainly time to do the research to answer the questions about the ceiling. Ted or Dennis would be the ones (probably both) to ask about the techniques and the benefits / risk of clipping the walls but not the ceiling. I'd like to know their thoughts on both of those as well...
Quote:
Congrats on the great build and count me in for the BW-8 tour. I am in the Clear Lake area.

Thanks! I'm going to say we're officially waiting on Spaceman to finish. How's that for pressure? And once he's done, we'll find another excuse... But we should really do that before it gets hot again. So we've got 12 weeks. biggrin.gif

Jeff

post #206 of 323 Old 10-19-2012, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm going to say we're officially waiting on Spaceman to finish.

Nice!!
post #207 of 323 Old 10-21-2012, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaustin View Post

That pond liner is HUGE! :eek:It makes me laugh at the little one that I was going to buy at Home Depot when I had plans for a pond.

20' by 50'. Entire setup in one piece without a seam. The correct answer!

And this is my 3rd pond, so I didn't just come to this without experience... In many ways, a larger pond is easier to care for, as it better mimics nature.
Quote:
The whole project is looking great. I especially like the rock fire pit.

Thanks! Fire pit is now done (Day 17):

DSC_0132.jpg

It has just enough Fred Flintstone in it to fit in!

Jeff

post #208 of 323 Old 10-21-2012, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Day 17-18:

Weather stopped cooperating and so we lost another day to rain and the drying out of the site. Fire pit is now done, and the sides of the pond have been covered in stacked stones. Not how I would have done it (those rocks will barely be visible below the waterline, but certainly not going to undo it. Here's a shot of the 'end' of the pond, where the skimmer has been installed and buried electric installed to service the pumps.

DSC_0136.jpg

I happened to be at my desk at work with the webcam running when I saw the crew arrive in force with a stone slab for the bridge on a dolly. Took six guys to manhandle it into place, probably ~500 pounds. Crew chief found a great stone for the job - naturally squared sides and just the right size to span the stream. You can also see the stream taking shape with the biofilter / waterfall weir in the background.

DSC_0144.jpg

I did have an issue with the way they were constructing the stone edging around the pond, which will be visible above the water line. They had chipped the stones to fit tightly, which gives the pond a 'formal' and unnatural look - not what I wanted. Owner of the company was with me, and had no issue having them pull those stones back off. They had enough rock in the right shapes and sizes to re-do the front edge, and they'll be shopping Monday for enough pieces to do the rest. Compare the corrected 'front' edge here with the 'back' edge in the skimmer photo above.

DSC_0145.jpg

So tomorrow may be a big day - once the edging is finished, they'll construct the bog garden area, finish the stream, and then it's time for water and the pump to bring this sucker to life!

I picked up a dozen LED light fixtures for the project yesterday, and today harvested a bunch of bog plants from a friends' pond. If all goes as expected, it could all be finished this week.

(and then we'll return to the regular theater thread... biggrin.gif)

Jeff

post #209 of 323 Old 10-21-2012, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

That looks great!

I can't wait to see some fish.

The Austin Home Theater:

post #210 of 323 Old 10-22-2012, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

That's one Big fish pond wink.gif Looking good.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page