3 zone lighting with 4 way switch - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-07-2012, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello everyone,

I really need some advice on this one. I started reading the Grafik eye master thread and got in over my head pretty quickly. That thread started in 2005, and I'm sure things have moved forward.

So, here's my current situation: I need to control three zones, two of which are located inside the theater, and one that's located outside of the theater in the rest of the basement.

Zone 1: 6 overhead can lights, inside the theater. These will be LED and don't need to be dimmable. This zone is currently controlled by 2 switches- an existing switch in the theater and a three way switch at the top of the stairwell.

Zone 2: This will be the sconce lighting in the theater and will also be LED bulbs, these behind translucent glass. There won't be more than 4 of these sconces total. As of now, these aren't installed, but I plan to control them from inside the theater only. The must be dimmable.

Zone 3: Lights outside the theater, in the rest of the basement. These are currently controlled by 3 switches- one at the top of the stairwell, one by the basement back door, and one by the door that leads from my basement to my workshop. No dimming required.

My ideal lighting control scenario is as follows: I open the door at the top of the stairwell and turn on zones 1 and 3. I go down the stairs, walk into the theater, sit in my chair, and then use a remote to turn off zone 3, then fade between zone 1 and 2, such that zone 1 turns off, and zone 2 is on and dimmed. When I get up to leave, zones 1 and 2 reverse fade, so that zone 2 goes off and zone 1 comes back on full.

As far as I can tell, it boils down to this: in 2012, do I need a grafik eye or can I use something simpler? If I do need grafik eye, what is the best way to set it up such that it will control a 4 way zone (zone #3) and a separate 3 way zone (zone #1)?

I would very much appreciate your help!

Thanks,
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-07-2012, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Grafik Eye would be a good solution for you unless your looking for something that would be network expandable.

I use a 3106 in my setup with an S1. 3 zones in the HT and 3 for the rest of the basement. The S1 sets scene 1 when pressed from off. This goes to my preferred setting entering the rec. room and outside the theater. Then I have a setting for entering HT and another for movie previews while getting settled in. Then the remote is used to shut off lights and set step and rope lights for a movie scene. When leaving the S1 goes to off from whatever scene your on.

One thing to be careful of is if the leds have enough watts per zone. You need a min. wattage for dimming to work correctly it's either 25 or 40 watts can't recall for sure.

For the areas where you don't need dimming you can set the the zones on the GE to on and off.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page